LU assistant McGallion, Anahuac's Barbay among finalists for Jasper job

what year did wilcox grad..that could be what were looking for..although barbay would probably stay a while too.. Mcgallion coached at woodville before mixon coached there (thought there may be a connection but not).  wondering why Mcgallion wants to leave his new position at lamar to come to jasper?? I see no connection with robinson or drennon..

Wilcox is very intriguing, without knowing to much about him, he may want to come home..
Barbay seems to be everyones favorite around town..we feel he will stay awhile and continue to build a program..and keep alot of the current coaches.
Mcgallion- more questions than answers, seems that his age may help him, the admin has been burnt by young coaches and the last thing they want is to be burnt again..

no one really knows foreman around jasper when i mention his name they say who? but i would'nt know him if it wasnt for this site..Everyone agrees admin has to choose a "name" guy to take the heat off of them.  So for that reason Barbay or Mcgallion will get it.. 

[quote name="T-daddy" post="1209124" timestamp="1334154786"]
Mcgallion- more questions than answers, seems that his age may help him, the admin has been burnt by young coaches and the last thing they want is to be burnt again..

no one really knows foreman around jasper when i mention his name they say who? but i would'nt know him if it wasnt for this site..Everyone agrees admin has to choose a "name" guy to take the heat off of them.  So for that reason Barbay or Mcgallion will get it..
[/quote]
not much to get excited about here.  SOS.  grate if u lik barely above 500 football.  Are we to believe that these guys will suddenly lern to win 80-90 % of their games??  Mabe so!  Stengal finally figurd it ouut,..  the die is cast so are we can you hope now

[quote name="First Down" post="1209196" timestamp="1334162803"]
I would go with Bo Robinson from La Vernia great coach and great motivator.
[/quote]
maybe that is who we need; he at least KNOWS where he wants to go:

http://m.reporternews.com/news/2006/mar/31/bangs-football-coach-leaving-for-la-vernia/

''My goal is to, at some point in my life, be a head coach at Abilene High or Abilene Cooper or somewhere like that, and I just don't think its gonna happen at Bangs. So I've gotta move up.''

[quote name="Cowboys1981" post="1209210" timestamp="1334163779"]
Barbay lost to Kirbyville in the second round of the playoffs both years they went to the state title game..
[/quote]
good point.  having to play a state finalist in the first round is a bad draw.  hurts the win/loss ratio.

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="1210150" timestamp="1334338255"]
For as much as the Barbays have done for football in that area it would be nice to see Darrell back in that area. Lot of good coaches on that list. should be interesting. Jasper needs to get back to being good. it's better for the game.
[/quote]
I agree.  As far as family pedigree, the Barbays appear to have won more championships than anyone else on the list.  If the admin is trying to make a "safe" choice, Darrell would probably be the safest of the finalists.

A big positive for him is that he has pretty much stayed put at just two places.  Jasper should be like going home for him; without the downside of the inevitable comparisons that coaching where his father coached would have brought.  I can see his staying at Jasper for a long, long time if he can hit an 80% or better percentage winning ratio.  With the usual talent level at Jasper he just might be able to do that.  For the short term, reportedly the talent level with the soph and junior classes for next Fall are above the "usual" Jasper level.  If that is true, whomever is hired should get off to a good start the first couple years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder