OF School Board considering not renewing Huckabay's contract?/CONTRACT RENEWED!!

Also Coach Huck cannot be out there with the offseason guys during football season. He is up at the school working over 12 hours a day trying to get things done. It is only after football season is over that he has time to take control of the rest of the athletes and monitor their workouts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="footballin" post="1202616" timestamp="1332875419"]
[quote author=Wildcatter link=topic=98125.msg1202608#msg1202608 date=1332873934]
Did we use any of those for our workout?  No, did we have them, yes.  Did basketball use to be able to do them, yes, can we now, no.  Do you think that 8 200's once a week will get you into basketball shape?  Not sure when you played but will not now.  All teams are in athletics with the same workout everyday.  Most other teams while in season are working on fundamentals, etc, we do not.  As far as the records what are you basing this on, football?  Our other records have not gotten any better, we no longer have 3 teams in football so not sure what you are basing it on.  If you are saying our FB record has gotten better then I will agree.
[/quote] Okay obviously our football team has improved, did our baseball team not make a run in 2010? [b]Did our basketball team not just end a stellar season?[/b] How about our track teams? They are competing like no other and doing well!
[/quote]

Since when did an 18-17 overall and 4-6 district record classify as a "stellar" season?

IMO, any non-football playing athletes should be allowed to have workouts specific to their sport during football season. During their particular "in season", all athletes should be working out to their sports specifics. Except for freshmen and some sophomores. I think universal is needed for the younger athletes. They need the strength training. IMO, no juniors or seniors who are non football players should have to participate in those type workouts. All multi-sport juniors and seniors should only have to workout to that particular sports "in-season" workouts during their season.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1202673" timestamp="1332880146"]
[quote author=footballin link=topic=98125.msg1202616#msg1202616 date=1332875419]
[quote author=Wildcatter link=topic=98125.msg1202608#msg1202608 date=1332873934]
Did we use any of those for our workout?  No, did we have them, yes.  Did basketball use to be able to do them, yes, can we now, no.  Do you think that 8 200's once a week will get you into basketball shape?  Not sure when you played but will not now.  All teams are in athletics with the same workout everyday.  Most other teams while in season are working on fundamentals, etc, we do not.  As far as the records what are you basing this on, football?  Our other records have not gotten any better, we no longer have 3 teams in football so not sure what you are basing it on.  If you are saying our FB record has gotten better then I will agree.
[/quote] Okay obviously our football team has improved, did our baseball team not make a run in 2010? [b]Did our basketball team not just end a stellar season?[/b] How about our track teams? They are competing like no other and doing well!
[/quote]

Since when did an 18-17 overall and 4-6 district record classify as a "stellar" season?

IMO, any non-football playing athletes should be allowed to have workouts specific to their sport during football season. During their particular "in season", all athletes should be working out to their sports specifics. Except for freshmen and some sophomores. I think universal is needed for the younger athletes. They need the strength training. IMO, no juniors or seniors who are non football players should have to participate in those type workouts. All multi-sport juniors and seniors should only have to workout to that particular sports "in-season" workouts during their season.
[/quote]
We got to the playoff and showed up to play, I would call that stellar in comparison to past seasons. Our track program has made major improvements, thats the point I wanted to make. What Huckabay does works whether you like it or not. Overall, ya'll are about to lose the best thing that has happened to OF in years. My peace has been stated, let the ignorance flow.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I just can't see why the head football coach would be overseeing the workouts of basketball and baseball players.  The skill sets for those sports are completely different and so are the weight and conditioning workouts.  It just sounds like micromanaging or worse to me. 

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1202675" timestamp="1332880196"]
Footballin I have agreed with most that you have said but I have to disagree about the track program. It is not very good and has not been for a very long time. I am a track guy I know. Some of our track records still stand today and "WILL" never be broken.
[/quote]
Well, I don't know what other track records at Orangefield are "Eye-popping" but you guys did turn out some distinguished pole vaulters for several years. 8)

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1202707" timestamp="1332882897"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=98125.msg1202675#msg1202675 date=1332880196]
Footballin I have agreed with most that you have said but I have to disagree about the track program. It is not very good and has not been for a very long time. I am a track guy I know. Some of our track records still stand today and "WILL" never be broken.
[/quote]
Well, I don't know what other track records at Orangefield are "Eye-popping" but you guys did turn out some distinguished pole vaulters for several years. 8)
[/quote]
Besided pole vaulting, Orangefield sure had some good middle distance runners in the 80's.  I remember watching Peveto at state.  I think he won the 800 in back to back years.

The basketball record before Huck got there was better.  OF made the playoffs one year and lost in a play-in game the next year.  I am pretty sure that both of those years, they got to do basketball workouts.  The year he got to OF, they finished 4th, last year 5th, and this year they tied for 3rd.

Well when the supt. resigned I said they would go after the AD next because there were a few board members that were on a witch hunt becasue they didnt think there kids should play by the same rules as everyone elses. I am not from Orangefield but everyone can say what they want but the truth is the truth. THE WITCH HUNT IS ON.....PERIOD

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="1202681" timestamp="1332881751"]
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I just can't see why the head football coach would be overseeing the workouts of basketball and baseball players.  The skill sets for those sports are completely different and so are the weight and conditioning workouts.  It just souds like micromanaging or worse to me.
[/quote]

He is the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR. He is overseeing the ATHLETES. Unless of course, you do not consider Basketball and Baseball players athletes.

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1202707" timestamp="1332882897"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=98125.msg1202675#msg1202675 date=1332880196]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Come on "Voice" I graduated in 1980 and a lot of records still stand. How about 1:52.9 800 meters (Bradley Peveto) 14.0 110 highs (Ricky Pence) 1600 meter Relay 3:21.2. I would say those are pretty salty. District champs in track 1980, 81,82 83. Ed Peveto knew the key to a good football program was a good track program. Just go ask our neighbors from WOS. Like you have ever seen the track records. Also we hade 6 guys that could run a 2:04 800 meters. Also 48:00 400 meters ( Jeff Granger)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1202757" timestamp="1332895992"]
Well, some results from the first meeting which was a grievance meeting against the girls athletic program. That grievance was denied by the OISD.

Now in the second meeting, the board is in executive session.
[/quote]

Really happy about that. Good job school board and OISD.

You can't compare past years to current years. Look at the level of athletes. I've only been around here for about 10 years and I can say this...the OF football team needs Coach Huckabay a lot more than he needs OF. He will win wherever he goes. Let's face it...they are not very deep in athletes but compete in football AND basketball because they have learned how to be tough. The only reason they ever beat WOS and HF in basketball this year is because they were tougher...not nearly athletic. When was the last time OF had 3 straight years with a chance at the playoffs in their own hands the last district game? I hear a lot of people complain about UOS but it seems to work everywhere I've heard people on here complain about. If OF runs off Huckabay...enjoy a lot of losing years to come. What was the grievance against the girls about?

[quote name="Rizon" post="1202788" timestamp="1332898859"]
What was the grievance against the girls about?
[/quote]

A few smaller things, but apparently the big issue was the wearing of headbands with the names of the 3 OF boys who perished in the auto accident last fall and the then volleyball coaches discipline of those players who continued to wear them after being told to cease....I think.

;D ;D looks like the athletic program has the PRIVILEGE of enduring two more years of HARD WORK with the reward of success. Sorry to those that didn't get their way, maybe ya'll can go find an easier program where your kids can be pampered and babied up! Hey maybe they won't even have to workout or show up to practice and still get to play their sport!

Lets be real here. The basketball team will never compete on a regular bases, football team, track or baseball team. It will be a hit and miss for years to come. Some people will say why post this? The kids will read this, so what it is the truth. The kids should use this as motivation to prove me wrong. Getting a class for basketball or baseball will make no difference. All it will do is make more kids specialize in one sport which will kill a football program at a 3A school. Yes Silsbee and HJ have a basketball class and their basketball teams are successful no doubt, but what about their football teams? HJ enough said, Silsbee well they make the palyoff's every year but they are average at best. If you concede to one program another will suffer. Is there a solution don't know. All I know is coach huck may not be the most personable coach but he is  proven  winner. No matter what AD Orangefield brings in it will make no difference and the numbers will not grow. People will gripe and complain no matter what. If the board members think getting rid of coach Huck will solve their problems you are sadly mistaken. Good luck is all I can say.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder