Walter Fortune

I would venture to say his overall record is a losing one.......he had one good year at tarkington where they went 7-3, and the rest were bad.........his second tenure at t-town they won 1 district game in like 4 years.....never made the playoffs as a HC.....he is a great guy though and a family oriented man

Based upon what I have found, his head coaching experience comes from two stints at Tarkington, 1998-2001 and 2005-2009.  There is report that he was HC at Livingston during 2002 and 2003 seasons.

Here are his record for those seasons:

1998: 4-6
1999: 4-6
2000: 4-6
2001: 7-3
2002: 4-6
2003: 2-8
2005: 4-5
2006: 2-7
2007: 0-10
2008: 2-7
2009: 2-8

Total: 35-72

But we must remember, this is at Tarkington.  The last time Tarkington was in the playoffs, Dwight D. Eisenhower was President of the United States.

He wasn't a H/C in Shepherd but he did coach there. From what I can remember he was a very good coach who really care about the kids and made them do the right thing on the field and in the classroom. And as far as his record at Tarkington, if you win four games in one year then it was a very good year.

So I'm curious to know what was the point in starting a thread about this gentleman?  Was is to prove that he hasn't been a very succesful head coach OR to prove that he is the most winningest coach in quite possibly one of the worst 3a schools football has to offer in texas high school history???  Take it whichever way you want but I think the hornets are lucky to have him!!!

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="1199924" timestamp="1332336840"]
Walt was the head coach at Livingston in 2002 and 2003.

He did not go 1-9 in 2002 at Tarkington.
[/quote]

No offense, but show me the source because I have serached all over the place and found NO reference to any coaching record at Livingston.  Not saying it didn't happen, but I haven't found it.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1199583" timestamp="1332260129"]
Based upon what I have found, his head coaching experience comes from two stints at Tarkington, 1998-2002 and 2005-2009.

Here are his record for those seasons:

1998: 4-6
1999: 4-6
2000: 4-6
2001: 7-3
2002: 1-9

2005: 4-5
2006: 2-7
2007: 0-10
2008: 2-7
2009: 2-8

Total: 30-67

But we must remember, this is at Tarkington.  The last time Tarkington was in the playoffs, Dwight D. Eisenhower was President of the United States.
[/quote]
Fantastic record btw...

I have been reading this thread for the last couple days and I wanted to add my two cents in. There are great coaches that run outstanding programs and despite all the best intent and effort the wins don't reflect what goes on. On the other hand there are unexperienced and poor coaches that slip into a program that have tremendous sucess. Why is that you ask? Well, sometimes a coach comes in after a good one just left. A lot of coaches use small schools as stepping stones for advancement, there is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes a school needs stability and a passionate coach to lead them and teach them. From what I hear Fortune is one of those kind of guys. Good luck to him and his program and I can see that they will get better with him.

That sound about right. But what people aren't taking into consideration is this, he coached in Tarkington, and Livingston, both bad programs at the time. Plus he has worked under Rowe for what the past 5 years? Hardin got a good one. Walter will do a great job.

He was the coach at Livingston and I don't know what was the record both years. But to be fair it was not his fault, this was during the time when no football coach who came through Livingston could get the real athletes to play football because of the past politics in our program. I heard from many of the kids who played for him that he was a great coach wasn't his fault that in 2 years he couldn't change what the past had done.

[quote name="bjimbo" post="1200113" timestamp="1332354513"]
[quote author=playa link=topic=97738.msg1200043#msg1200043 date=1332347729]
Great Guy! Good coach! Dumb Thread! There has been ALOT of coaches go through T-Town and not win and win somewhere else.  Good Luck Hardin.
[/quote]

Exactly!!!
[/quote]

I don't know why there is such defensiveness over this thread.  Folks want to gather information on the coach who will be leading their school's team.  There is nothing unusual about that.

Those folks who have seen his record while at Tarkington and at Livingston have not branded him a bad coach because of it.  In fact, I have seen quite the opposite on this thread.  And the Hardin ISD, who I am sure had Coach Fortune's full record in front of it found that he is a good coach with good ideas for the program...otherwise, they would not have offered him the job.

Of course, none of it means a hill of beans until early August anyway.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder