Local TABC All-Staters & All - Region

Guest CTH13
[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1198136" timestamp="1331921305"]
[quote author=cbosha link=topic=97604.msg1198129#msg1198129 date=1331921005]
I feel that making All-Region will only encourage him to keep shooting bad shots which will ultimately hurt the team. What is the point of my nephew being on the team if he won't touch the ball due to someone taking ill advised shots?
[/quote]
Are you reading what you are posting? For someone who has played on the college level, you should have a better understanding of this...Every player has a role to play...Whatever Coach Sutherland says or dictates that role, your nephew had better step into it, or someone else will...Thats how good programs operate...Would you have been happier if your nephew averaged 30, made 1st team all state, and the team finished 15-17, and not make the playoffs? Thats what it sounds like to me....
[/quote]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dick Vitale, what is so hard for you to understand. It is NOT wise to shoot with 3 people on you when you have 3 players that are open asking for the ball. Dribbling the ball behind your back when you are guarded by 2 people is not wise. I have seen him do things like that alot. My husband was watching a game that was being streamed live and he got so frustrated with his shot selection he stopped watching the game. Surely it is not in the coach's game plan to have someone taking wild shots. I am sure that Coach Sutherland understands that taking a high percentage shot is the best way to go.

wow, this is absurd.  my nephew didn't make all-region, so he's going to transfer, and the guy who scored more points than him made all-region but he sucks because he's selfish and shoots too much, etc. etc. etc.  i'm glad young mr. bosha has a better attitude on the court than you do off it. 

as for transferring to beaumont, bosha can really look forward to being overlooked then.  6'4" isn't that big of a deal in 4A, and he'll have a whole team full of teammates with a shoot-first, pass-later attitude.  he'll be lucky to take 5 shots a game.

39-2.....district co-champs....6th straight regional tournament...Give the ball to Bosha, and they win state? You think THAT was the answer? No it is not....

No its NOT wise to shoot being triple teamed, but I am CERTAIN, knowing Coach Sutherland, he agrees with that statement as well...It is safe to assume that he knows what he is doing. I just disagree with your approach to this situation...It comes from a very selfish place, and if you feel your nephew would be better served playing in Beaumont, by all means, but I doubt thats a smart move...and I have no dog in this race, I am just being practical.

So what you guys are saying is it is perfectly okay to shoot with 3 people guarding you ( of course he missed the shot), to shoot multiple shots about 5 feet behind the 3 point line ( he missed them). Are you saying that it is acceptable to go behind your back with two people on you (they stole the ball)? That is NOT what I consider playing smart. basketball. Those types of plays disrupt the whole flow of the game. How distracting is it when a player from your team has to walk over to you and tell you that you need to pass the ball more? ( he didn't). I have seen this occur at many games. Again he needs to take higher percentage shots.

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198152" timestamp="1331922043"]
So what you guys are saying is it is perfectly okay to shoot with 3 people guarding you ( of course he missed the shot), to shoot multiple shots about 5 feet behind the 3 point line ( he missed them). Are you saying that it is acceptable to go behind your back with two people on you (they stole the ball)? That is NOT what I consider playing smart. basketball. Those types of plays disrupt the whole flow of the game. How distracting is it when a player from your team has to walk over to you and tell you that you need to pass the ball more? ( he didn't). I have seen this occur at many games. Again he needs to take higher percentage shots.
[/quote]
The team won 39 games with him taking "bad" shots.... ::)

[quote author=KHSAlum400 link=topic=97604.msg1198157#msg1198157 date=1331922293]
cbosha,

Had your nephew made All-"Region", would there even be an issue with Johnson?
[/quote]
[move][size=18pt][b]NO[/b][/size][/move]

I am done with  this conversation . You guys are idiots. Having a shoot first mentality irregardless of what the defense is doing is just plain stupid.... You don't know how my nephew will fair at others schools he is 6'5 and he can play the point. There are coaches inquiring about him.  Idon't really care how you feel about my approach, if you don't like it then don't read the post. It is so discouraging trying to have a conversation with ignorant people. We will see how the shoot first mentality will play out for some of the area players in the end. If I was a college scout I would not want a kid who constantly shoots ill advised shots.

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198160" timestamp="1331922399"]
I am done with  this conversation . You guys are idiots. Having a shoot first mentality irregardless of what the defense is doing is just plain stupid.... You don't know how my nephew will fair at others schools he is 6'5 and he can play the point. There are coaches inquiring about him.  Idon't really care how you feel about my approach, if you don't like it then don't read the post. It is so discouraging trying to have a conversation with ignorant people. We will see how the shoot first mentality will play out for some of the area players in the end. If I was a college scout I would not want a kid who constantly shoots ill advised shots.
[/quote]
We are idiots, yet you resort to name calling...typical.... 8)..Good luck in Beaumont next season.

As i said earlier, i have always had a problem with the way he plays. I am not the only one ,i heard people complaining all of the time. I have told the coach that he is frustrating to watch. I also said that they would not win state even when they were ranked #1 if players continued to play selfishly. I was right.

Yet noone can explain to me how it is wise to take ill advised shots and how it is good to have a shoot first mentality irregardless of what the defense is doing. I would love for someone with basketball knowledge to explain it to me without making excuses.

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198167" timestamp="1331922646"]
I call them like I see them. Don't read my post if you don't like it... I have a right to my opinion....
[/quote]
Yes you do...However your opinion is coming from a self centered place, which takes credibility away from your opinion...YOU WANT YOUR NEPHEW TO BE THE STUD ON THAT TEAM....It painfully obvious.

[quote author=cbosha link=topic=97604.msg1198170#msg1198170 date=1331922773]
Yet noone can explain to me how it is wise to take ill advised shots and how it is good to have a shoot first mentality irregardless of what the defense is doing. I would love for someone with basketball knowledge to explain it to me without making excuses.
[/quote]

No one is disputing what a good or bad shot is....YOUR opinion is that Johnson takes bad shots...The coach, obviously thinks otherwise, and the team went 39-2...At some point you just have to concede your argument here.

Again noone can explain why it is okay to take ill advised shots and how it is okay to have a shoot first mentality irregardless of what the defense is doing.. If it was just me complaining I would reexamine my viewpoint, but I have heard a whole lot of people complain about the same thing. I guess we are all wrong. I nephew was not the stud on the team Shawn was. He is my cousin and it runs in the family. I just want my nephew to get a fair shot. period point blank. I want him to get what he deserves. Why can't anyone answer my question.

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198170" timestamp="1331922773"]
[/quote]

It simply amazes me that Coach Sutherland would continuously start Johnson each and every game and have him be an integral part of the offense with high minutes of play every game because according to you Johnson is not worthy. ::)

I think Coach Sutherland and his staff are enough of basketball knowledge that I need to explain Johnson and his playing abilities. 

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198176" timestamp="1331923093"]
Again noone can explain why it is okay to take ill advised shots and how it is okay to have a shoot first mentality irregardless of what the defense is doing.. If it was just me complaining I would reexamine my viewpoint, but I have heard a whole lot of people complain about the same thing. I guess we are all wrong. I nephew was not the stud on the team Shawn was. He is my cousin and it runs in the family. I just want my nephew to get a fair shot. period point blank. I want him to get what he deserves. Why can't anyone answer my question.
[/quote]
I can answer your question.  More than qualified to do so, and I have answered it SEVERAL times on this very thread...So, because your nephew was not selected all state, and the Johnson kid, who in YOUR estimation, shoots too much did, he is not getting a fair shot? Thats just silly, ma'am...it really is.

[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=97604.msg1198177#msg1198177 date=1331923183]
[quote author=cbosha link=topic=97604.msg1198170#msg1198170 date=1331922773]
[/quote]

It simply amazes me that Coach Sutherland would continuously start Johnson each and every game and have him be an integral part of the offense with high minutes of play every game because according to you Johnson is not worthy. ::)

I think Coach Sutherland and his staff are enough of basketball knowledge that I need to explain Johnson and his playing abilities. 
[/quote]

[move][size=18pt][b]BINGO[/b][/size][/move]

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198178" timestamp="1331923217"]
I have seen the coach pull him out of several games and put him on the bench after a bad shot ; as well as, fuss at him so it is obvious that the coach was not okay with all of his shot selections.
[/quote]

Then why would Coach Sutherland continue to play Johnson if he was such a detriment to the team like you are suggesting?

[quote name="cbosha" post="1198181" timestamp="1331923371"]
I have a picture of Coach sutherland digging in his butt after a horrible shot so I am more than postive that he was NOT okay with his shot selection. LOL
[/quote]
You are SUPPOSED to correct players when they make errors...its his JOB...But he started all 41 games..Even after having his butt chewed on for whatever reason... ::)