WOSgrad

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1181355" timestamp="1329764559"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=95757.msg1181350#msg1181350 date=1329764016]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95757.msg1181344#msg1181344 date=1329762333]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=95757.msg1181341#msg1181341 date=1329762221]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95757.msg1181339#msg1181339 date=1329762073]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=95757.msg1181333#msg1181333 date=1329761181]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95757.msg1180119#msg1180119 date=1329512831]
Question? How can such an incident be controlled for the future? We all have comments after the fact. The teams participated in what is common in a sportsmanlike manner to shake hands at the end of the game. [b]Its football, you have spats during the games but you still line up to shake hands. So what do you do,use a rope?[/b]
[/quote]

No, you use self-restraint and good sportsmanship. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be allowed to participate.
[/quote] Easier said than done, especially if a [color=red]teammate[/color] is attacked by several
players from the opposing team. The majority of teams are going to go help ;)
[/quote]Well these 2 teams should have never been allowed to line up after the game... The coaches and refs KNEW there was still anger going on. I blame it all on the ones in charge.. The adults
[/quote]Then that goes against the concept of sportsmanship you agree on  ::) You kiss and make up after differences, thats what you teach in sports.
[/quote]No it doesn't.. when there is still a possibility of a fight.. you take your team and walk away...thats doing the right thing...
[/quote]Thats rude! You shake and leave it on the field or court. [b]Obviously [/b]no one felt it would turn into a big fight
[/quote]That is not rude.. that is teaching your children.. if there is a possibility of an altercation you walk away... Are you ever down on the sidelines before during or after a game when there has been some kind of altercation? If not then you have no idea what is being said by players. Those coaches knew there was still some hot headed kids walking on the sidelines...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1181402" timestamp="1329767629"]
I bet there are many instances where there are hot-headed kids after a game. Doesn't relieve the fact that you still try and show sportsmanship afterwards. Maybe you would suggest all teams just walk to their locker room instead of showing sportsmanship after their contests?
[/quote]
No but, IMO you should definitely rethink doing the handshake if there was already a bench clearing incident. I am all for showing sportsmanship but we gotta think literally here and no just how we want it to be.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1181402" timestamp="1329767629"]
I bet there are many instances where there are hot-headed kids after a game. Doesn't relieve the fact that you still try and show sportsmanship afterwards. Maybe you would suggest all teams just walk to their locker room instead of showing sportsmanship after their contests?
[/quote]Maybe I wouldn't  ::) All I am saying is that more than once they broke out into a fight during the game... And it wasn't just a little push and shove... IN MY OPINION they should have never been allowed to line up to shake hands. The refs nor the coaches should have allowed it. 99% of the time when "stuff" happens. It can be contained and they should line up because they(the coaches) have it under control. And the kids can show good sportsmanship. But there is that 1% that can't get it.. And lining up to shake hands is NOT in the best interest of the students. And that was the case here between these two teams....

[quote name="vp32" post="1181414" timestamp="1329768848"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=95757.msg1181413#msg1181413 date=1329768756]
Example: WOS vs Columbus.

No handshake after the game. Guess what? We aren't talking about it today because it was the right thing to do given the circumstances.
[/quote]
Very good point dustoff
[/quote]
Thanks vp.

From the Baytown PD Use of Force Report:

"After the game resumed, there still seemed to be a tension between the two teams.  During the remainder of the game, I contacted Sgt. K. Hampton the on duty patrol supervisor and advised him we may have potential problems at game's end.  [b]Shortly after this Cpl. Steven Denton (the game's police coordinator) advised that at the conclusion of the game both teams would immediately exit the field in an effort to avoid anymore confronations.  It was my understanding [as well as Cpl. Denton's] that when he was told this, that the two teams would not meet in the field to shake hands, as is tradition, but would exit the field immediately."[/b]

It looks like the security detail and at least someone from one of the schools saw this coming with the postgame handshake.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1181429" timestamp="1329770831"]

"After the game resumed, there still seemed to be a tension between the two teams.  During the remainder of the game, I contacted Sgt. K. Hampton the on duty patrol supervisor and advised him we may have potential problems at game's end.  [b]Shortly after this Cpl. Steven Denton (the game's police coordinator) advised that at the conclusion of the game both teams would immediately exit the field in an effort to avoid anymore confronations.  It was my understanding [as well as Cpl. Denton's] that when he was told this, that the two teams would not meet in the field to shake hands, as is tradition, but would exit the field immediately."[/b]

It looks like the security detail and at least someone from one of the schools saw this coming with the postgame handshake.
[/quote]Okay, you're an attorney; who advised whom?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1181442" timestamp="1329773758"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=95757.msg1181429#msg1181429 date=1329770831]

[/quote]Who advised whom? Really? Clearly there were adults that were aware of the potential fight that could break out if the hand shake took place... The coaches from both teams had blinders on if that didn't see it and ear plugs in their ears if they hear it.... Like I said, it goes back to the coaches from both teams,  including the refs for this fight happening. They are responsible. 

How about neither team should be allowed to even play football against anyone for fear that an "incident" might occur? I think the probation without any type of playoff suspension or denial of a district championship is a mere slap on the wrist. Assault and battery is not a sport of any type that I know of.

What happens if their probation is broken and what type of "incident" is required for a stiffer penalty to be served?

[quote name="octfeb" post="1181447" timestamp="1329774867"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95757.msg1181442#msg1181442 date=1329773758]

[/quote]Who advised whom? Really? Clearly there were adults that were aware of the potential fight that could break out if the hand shake took place... The coaches from both teams had blinders on if that didn't see it and ear plugs in their ears if they hear it.... [b]Like I said, it goes back to the coaches from both teams,  including the refs for this fight happening. They are responsible.[/b]
[/quote]
No i'm pretty sure the kid who threw the first punch or initiated the trash talk in the handshake line is responsible.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1181442" timestamp="1329773758"]

[/quote]

Okay, the officer who wrote this report isn't gonna get a "A" in English 101 because I was also confused by that part.  But the ambiguity as to whether school officials were on the giving or receiving end of the "advice" aside, it seems like folks were put on some notice that the post game handshake was not a good idea and could lead to something that...well....did happen.

Why would anyone want to play a team and put on notice that something like this might happen? Says a lot about the players themselves, not the coaches or "adults". The UIL is soft. No place for this type of behavior in sports period! Maybe if we keep slapping wrists, we will end up like European soccer matches.

[quote name="baddog" post="1181852" timestamp="1329842765"]
[b]Why would anyone want to play a team and put on notice that something like this might happen?[/b] Says a lot about the players themselves, not the coaches or "adults". The UIL is soft. No place for this type of behavior in sports period! Maybe if we keep slapping wrists, we will end up like European soccer matches.
[/quote]Ummm  They weren't put on notice before the game.. They were put on notice after bench clearing (fight) DURING the game. Which goes back that the "adults" were responsible...

Ummmmm.......After what happened, don't you think future opponents should be warned that this may happen? It's a mentality of the players. The coaches and "adults" didn't cut them loose. If these kids can't hold back their anger any better than that, then they should not be allowed to even play organized sports. Let's keep making excuses for the truly guilty. It's part of why they act as they do. Someone always tells them it's someone else's fault.

[quote name="baddog" post="1182012" timestamp="1329854480"]
Ummmmm.......After what happened, don't you think future opponents should be warned that this may happen? It's a mentality of the players. The coaches and "adults" didn't cut them loose. If these kids can't hold back their anger any better than that, then they should not be allowed to even play organized sports. Let's keep making excuses for the truly guilty. It's part of why they act as they do. Someone always tells them it's someone else's fault.
[/quote]The kids in question are responsible..Those kids should have been suspended from any other organized sports for the remainder of the year. Everyone is responsible for their own actions.. I tell my kids that all the time. But the adults who are in charge of these kids.. knew what the potential outcome could be.. by allowing them to line up. We as adults are suppose to be role models... And the coaches dropped the ball. IMO   

The sad thing is that this behavior is taught a young age and never corrected.  In our local TIFI leauge Beaumont has been kicked out of this league do to Fighting, Cheating and disreguard for the rules  governed by TIFI football. This is kids from 7 to 11!!! I have ran chains for some of these games and you should hear the Coaches and kids cussing every breath and nothing is done about it on the side lines.

[quote name="octfeb" post="1182000" timestamp="1329853699"]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=95757.msg1181852#msg1181852 date=1329842765]
[b]Why would anyone want to play a team and put on notice that something like this might happen?[/b] Says a lot about the players themselves, not the coaches or "adults". The UIL is soft. No place for this type of behavior in sports period! Maybe if we keep slapping wrists, we will end up like European soccer matches.
[/quote]Ummm  They weren't put on notice before the game.. They were put on notice after bench clearing (fight) DURING the game. Which goes back that the "adults" were responsible...
[/quote]

How do we know for sure that notice was put out.  Seems like a "We did our part to prevent it" statement being put out there.  I guarantee you that neither A.D. nor the Head Coach (at least for Beaumont Ozen) was told that there would be no handshake after the game.  Because if they were, there wouldn't have been one.  They wouldn't go against law enforcement's orders just to shake hands with the other team.  Especially after a playoff loss. 

[quote name="Crowdpleaser84" post="1183007" timestamp="1329926481"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=95757.msg1182000#msg1182000 date=1329853699]
[/quote]

[b]How do we know for sure that notice was put out.  Seems like a "We did our part to prevent it" statement being put out there.  I guarantee you that neither A.D. nor the Head Coach (at least for Beaumont Ozen) was told that there would be no handshake after the game. [/b] Because if they were, there wouldn't have been one.  They wouldn't go against law enforcement's orders just to shake hands with the other team.  Especially after a playoff loss.
[/quote](POSTED BY WOSgrad)

"After the game resumed, there still seemed to be a tension between the two teams.  During the remainder of the game, I contacted Sgt. K. Hampton the on duty patrol supervisor and advised him we may have potential problems at game's end.  Shortly after this Cpl. Steven Denton (the game's police coordinator) advised that at the conclusion of the game both teams would immediately exit the field in an effort to avoid anymore confronations.  It was my understanding [as well as Cpl. Denton's] that when he was told this, that the two teams would not meet in the field to shake hands, as is tradition, but would exit the field immediately."

[quote name="Crowdpleaser84" post="1183007" timestamp="1329926481"]
[/quote]

How do we know for sure that notice was put out.  Seems like a "We did our part to prevent it" statement being put out there.  I guarantee you that neither A.D. nor the Head Coach (at least for Beaumont Ozen) was told that there would be no handshake after the game.  Because if they were, there wouldn't have been one.  They wouldn't go against law enforcement's orders just to shake hands with the other team.  Especially after a playoff loss.
[/quote]I agree. Something just not adding up. Communication break down somewhere.

[quote name="octfeb" post="1183010" timestamp="1329926835"]
[quote author=Crowdpleaser84 link=topic=95757.msg1183007#msg1183007 date=1329926481]
[/quote]

[b]How do we know for sure that notice was put out.  Seems like a "We did our part to prevent it" statement being put out there.  I guarantee you that neither A.D. nor the Head Coach (at least for Beaumont Ozen) was told that there would be no handshake after the game. [/b] Because if they were, there wouldn't have been one.  They wouldn't go against law enforcement's orders just to shake hands with the other team.  Especially after a playoff loss.

"After the game resumed, there still seemed to be a tension between the two teams.  During the remainder of the game, I contacted Sgt. K. Hampton the on duty patrol supervisor and advised him we may have potential problems at game's end.  Shortly after this Cpl. Steven Denton (the game's police coordinator) advised that at the conclusion of the game both teams would immediately exit the field in an effort to avoid anymore confronations.  It was my understanding [as well as Cpl. Denton's] that when he was told this, that the two teams would not meet in the field to shake hands, as is tradition, but would exit the field immediately."
[/quote]

Again, how do we know that this actually took place?  How do we know that both coaches and A.D.'s received word that the handshake was not supposed to happen?  People on here are making it seem as if the coaches went against what was "advised".  In the quote above, they never specifically mentioned who they advised.  They just said that they advised that there would be no handshake.  Who did they advise?  Each other?  If that's the case then it was up to them to prevent the handshake. 

[quote name="Crowdpleaser84" post="1183168" timestamp="1329940621"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=95757.msg1183010#msg1183010 date=1329926835]
[quote author=Crowdpleaser84 link=topic=95757.msg1183007#msg1183007 date=1329926481]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, how do we know that this actually took place?  How do we know that both coaches and A.D.'s received word that the handshake was not supposed to happen?  People on here are making it seem as if the coaches went against what was "advised".  In the quote above, they never specifically mentioned who they advised.  They just said that they advised that there would be no handshake.  Who did they advise?  Each other?  If that's the case then it was up to them to prevent the handshake.
[/quote]Well considering the circumstances, You would think the coaches would have had the savvy to know the handshake was not gonna be a good idea. Why is it that some want to defend the coaches.. When in the end they are the ones who are responsible for the players on the field. And YES before you come back with the kids need to be held accountable.. Yes they do... Both schools should have been suspended for the remainder of the year from any sports. That would have taken care of the coaches and the players. Assault is serious business.Coaches should have been fined and players (if they could figure out which players were at fault) suspended

[quote name="octfeb" post="1183175" timestamp="1329941247"]
[quote author=Crowdpleaser84 link=topic=95757.msg1183168#msg1183168 date=1329940621]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Well considering the circumstances, You would think the coaches would have had the savvy to know the handshake was not gonna be a good idea. Why is it that some want to defend the coaches.. When in the end they are the ones who are responsible for the players on the field. And YES before you come back with the kids need to be held accountable.. Yes they do... Both schools should have been suspended for the remainder of the year from any sports. That would have taken care of the coaches and the players. Assault is serious business.Coaches should have been fined and players (if they could figure out which players were at fault) suspended
[/quote] So simple for you to sit here and complain about what [color=red]happened[/color] and try to fix a problem afterwards. As a coach and I'm sure most of us would agree, the traditional ending game handshake would have been enough. But agreed, one punk will stop the show. I'm sure we would still be on here debating if the two teams had not met. You would be screaming lack of sportsmanship and I would be screaming it was for safety reasons ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1183183" timestamp="1329942570"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=95757.msg1183175#msg1183175 date=1329941247]
[quote author=Crowdpleaser84 link=topic=95757.msg1183168#msg1183168 date=1329940621]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] So simple for you to sit here and complain about what [color=red]happened[/color] and try to fix a problem afterwards. As a coach and I'm sure most of us would agree, the traditional ending game handshake would have been enough. But agreed, one punk will stop the show. I'm sure we would still be on here debating if the two teams had not met.[b] You would be screaming lack of sportsmanship[/b] and I would be screaming it was for safety reasons ;)
[/quote]If this is referring to me.. I wouldn't be screaming anything... I am all about walking away.. I don't care who it makes mad... And for me complaining.. I'm not complaining at all.. I am merely stating my opinion... as is everyone else on this thread. I think I have even stated more than once after some of my post when I finished it was just my opinion.  you know IMO.... anyway trying to see everyones point is kinda like BH making it past the 1st round of the playoffs.. not gonna happen ;) 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder