Winning Streaks

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1172279" timestamp="1328393403"]
So, to be accurate, Lincoln could have a district win streak from '92-'99, not '85-'02. ;)
[/quote]

Lincoln lost 3 games total in 1991....Westbrook, Central, and Houston Madison....They were State Champs that year...35-3....They DID lose to Silsbee in 92..the next year...Coach Gamble DID remind me that you guys were in the same district until the nineties, but didn't remember the 92 loss... :D....blame it on my old age...Thanks for the correction...The streak at Lincoln was from 85-92, then another from 92-99.... ;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1172283" timestamp="1328394016"]
NB-Dawg, come on man....don't get upset ...insecurities? I have none....I was simply answering your question...Is it that you thought the Nederland streak was special? Sorry to burst your bubble, but its been done before...29 district wins is commendable...but you people were acting like it was earth shattering, and it was not...its over now, so hopefully your team can refocus, and take care of business in the coming weeks....insecure? Are you kidding me?....  ::)
[/quote]
Actually, it's never been done in Nederland DV, so we are soaking it up. You can't stand for Nederland to be doing so well, it's comical! There is no bubble to burst, bc we are happy campers in Mid County. We are 25-6 in a rebuilding year!  :o 

Dickie- I want to give you an alternate point of view.  In spite of your basketball pedigree, you only know basketball from the top down as opposed to the bottom up.  By that I am talking about where you played, where you were coached and people you were associated with.  It is well established about Mr. Bouttes success but, Kountze, Lincoln and Ozen?  You have got to agree that if you walk into those places you have a head start already.  I know Ozen was a new school but the gene pool was very predisposed to basketball and it was a magnet school.Also, it is often as easier job to take a new school up from Zero than an established school from -50.  You and Mr. Boutte have no record of turning a very failed program or basketball culture on its ear.  So I would suggest to you that if you take the job at Bridge City next year and within a few years have a 29 game district winning streak, I will consider that a MAMMOTH accomplishment.  Mr. Boutte has NEVER entered a situation where there was ZERO talent, ZERO basketball culture, Zero basketball interest and turned it around by developing it hiimself with no administrative support and with no assistants who were dedicated to basketball.  No disrespect to Mr. Boutte but it is simply an experience he has never had and that is not intended to say he is any less for having been in good situations the bulk of his career.  You and I have had this discussion in private and you know that I was very close to a situation similar to what I am talking about.  So, in this case, I can personally testify as to what a big task it is.  Therefore, I think, if you take ALL conditions into consideration, that 29 game streak is a very huge deal.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1172292" timestamp="1328395399"]

Dickie- I want to give you an alternate point of view.  In spite of your basketball pedigree, you only know basketball from the top down as opposed to the bottom up.  By that I am talking about where you played, where you were coached and people you were associated with.  It is well established about Mr. Bouttes success but, Kountze, Lincoln and Ozen?  You have got to agree that if you walk into those places you have a head start already.  I know Ozen was a new school but the gene pool was very predisposed to basketball and it was a magnet school.Also, it is often as easier job to take a new school up from Zero than an established school from -50.  You and Mr. Boutte have no record of turning a very failed program or basketball culture on its ear.  So I would suggest to you that if you take the job at Bridge City next year and within a few years have a 29 game district winning streak, I will consider that a MAMMOTH accomplishment.  Mr. Boutte has NEVER entered a situation where there was ZERO talent, ZERO basketball culture, Zero basketball interest and turned it around by developing it hiimself with no administrative support and with no assistants who were dedicated to basketball.  No disrespect to Mr. Boutte but it is simply an experience he has never had and that is not intended to say he is any less for having been in good situations the bulk of his career.  You and I have had this discussion in private and you know that I was very close to a situation similar to what I am talking about.  So, in this case, I can personally testify as to what a big task it is.  Therefore, I think, if you take ALL conditions into consideration, that 29 game streak is a very huge deal.
[/quote]

Very well stated!!!

Great post Nash.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1172291" timestamp="1328395218"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95474.msg1172283#msg1172283 date=1328394016]
NB-Dawg, come on man....don't get upset ...insecurities? I have none....I was simply answering your question...Is it that you thought the Nederland streak was special? Sorry to burst your bubble, but its been done before...29 district wins is commendable...but you people were acting like it was earth shattering, and it was not...its over now, so hopefully your team can refocus, and take care of business in the coming weeks....insecure? Are you kidding me?....  ::)
[/quote]
Actually, it's never been done in Nederland DV, so we are soaking it up. You can't stand for Nederland to be doing so well, it's comical! There is no bubble to burst, bc we are happy campers in Mid County. We are 25-6 in a rebuilding year!  :o 

[/quote]
They haven't done anything NB.... ::).. Yes they are playing well and will likely win district 20-4A for a second straight year...I am glad Coach E has them going in the right direction...That is a great accomplishment for Nederland...MY point was it was done like that to the 10th power, and no issue was made from it as it has this season...It was done at Ozen so regularly, that it was the EXPECTATION. Lincoln too...I don't think that the PORT ARTHUR News EVER mentioned Lincoln's YEARS OF CONSECUTIVE DISTRICT WINS, as much as they have Nederland's short lived run....I guess I DO have issue with THAT, but its not personal....I wish Nederland luck this season, going forward....I think they have a great coach... he is a good guy, and I consider him to be a personal friend....and has been for the last 12 years...relax... 8)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1172293" timestamp="1328395909"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95474.msg1172292#msg1172292 date=1328395399]

[/quote]

Very well stated!!!

Great post Nash.
[/quote]

Agree. Good post.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1172292" timestamp="1328395399"]

[/quote]

I can go with that..I have often acknowledged the fact that what Brian English has done in Nederland is HUGE...Not many coaches CAN do what he has done.  And, you are right...29 district wins in a row IS a big deal.  Maybe not as monumental to me as it is to others, but considering where it was done, yes...VERY BIG.  I understand your point.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1172300" timestamp="1328396423"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=95474.msg1172291#msg1172291 date=1328395218]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95474.msg1172283#msg1172283 date=1328394016]
[/quote]

[/quote]
They haven't done anything NB.... ::).. Yes they are playing well and will likely win district 20-4A for a second straight year...I am glad Coach E has them going in the right direction...That is a great accomplishment for Nederland...MY point was it was done like that to the 10th power, and no issue was made from it as it has this season...It was done at Ozen so regularly, that it was the EXPECTATION. Lincoln too...I don't think that the PORT ARTHUR News EVER mentioned Lincoln's YEARS OF CONSECUTIVE DISTRICT WINS, as much as they have Nederland's short lived run....I guess I DO have issue with THAT, but its not personal....I wish Nederland luck this season, going forward....I think they have a great coach... he is a good guy, and I consider him to be a personal friend....and has been for the last 12 years...relax... 8)
[/quote]
It's all about perspective DV. Didn't say we've accomplished anything yet did I? I said we are enjoying our current success bc we haven't had any for 50+ years until recently. May not be success in your book, but it's success for a program that lived in the dweller for so many years. I think most teams who are in a rebuilding year (even HJ, Silsbee, Kountze) would be ok sitting at 25-6 at this time of the season.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1172308" timestamp="1328397767"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95474.msg1172300#msg1172300 date=1328396423]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
It's all about perspective DV. Didn't say we've accomplished anything yet did I? I said we are enjoying our current success bc we haven't had any for 50+ years until recently. May not be success in your book, but it's success for a program that lived in the dweller for so many years. I think most teams who are in a rebuilding year (even HJ, Silsbee, Kountze) would be ok sitting at 25-6 at this time of the season.
[/quote]

If the Raptors or the Bobcats or the Hornets get to the playoffs, that will have been a bigger accomplishment than the Heat or the Bulls winning the title from the perspective of a lot of people.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1172308" timestamp="1328397767"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95474.msg1172300#msg1172300 date=1328396423]
NB-Dawg, come on man....don't get upset ...insecurities? I have none....I was simply answering your question...Is it that you thought the Nederland streak was special? Sorry to burst your bubble, but its been
done before...29 district wins is commendable...but you people were acting like it was earth shattering, and it was not...its over now, so hopefully your team can refocus, and take care of business in the coming weeks....insecure? Are you kidding me?....  ::)
[/quote]

[/quote]
They haven't done anything NB.... ::).. Yes they are playing well and will likely win district 20-4A for a second straight year...I am glad Coach E has them going in the right direction...That is a great accomplishment for Nederland...MY point was it was done like that to the 10th power, and no issue was made from it as it has this season...It was done at Ozen so regularly, that it was the EXPECTATION. Lincoln too...I don't think that the PORT ARTHUR News EVER mentioned Lincoln's YEARS OF
CONSECUTIVE DISTRICT WINS, as much as they have Nederland's short
lived run....I guess I DO have issue with THAT, but its not personal....I wish Nederland luck this season, going forward....I think they have a great coach... he is a good guy, and I consider him to be a personal friend....and has been for the last 12 years...relax... 8)
[/quote]
It's all about perspective DV. Didn't say we've accomplished anything yet did I? I said we are enjoying our current success bc we haven't had any for 50+ years until recently. May not be success in your book, but it's success for a program that lived in the dweller for so many years. I think
most teams who are in a rebuilding year (even HJ, [b]Silsbee, Kountze)
would be ok sitting at 25-6 at this time of the season.[/b]
[/quote]
Oh wait, Silsbee is at 20-7 and Kountze is 24-8 this season (both in a 'rebuilding year')!  ::)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1172300" timestamp="1328396423"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
It will be the third straight year Nederland has won district not second.  Tied with Ozen and won the tie-breaker in 2009-2010 season; won it outright 2010-2011 season.

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="1172526" timestamp="1328477905"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
It will be the third straight year Nederland has won district not second.  Tied with Ozen and won the tie-breaker in 2009-2010 season; won it outright 2010-2011 season.
[/quote]
I will say this...THIS years district title is not exactly a lock for Nederland...They need to win 2 of the next 3, and thats going to be a task for this team...I still think they will lose at Ozen, and then LCM is lurking..Don't get ahead of yourself... ;)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1172551" timestamp="1328480153"]
[quote author=NHS83LU87 link=topic=95474.msg1172526#msg1172526 date=1328477905]
[/quote]

[/quote]
They haven't done anything NB.... ::).. Yes they are playing well and [b]will likely win district 20-4A [/b] for a second straight year...I am glad Coach E has them going in the right direction...That is a great accomplishment for Nederland...MY point was it was done like that to the 10th power, and no issue was made from it as it has this season...It was done at Ozen so regularly, that it was the EXPECTATION. Lincoln too...I don't think that the PORT ARTHUR News EVER mentioned Lincoln's YEARS OF CONSECUTIVE DISTRICT WINS, as much as they have Nederland's short lived run....I guess I DO have issue with THAT, but its not personal....I wish Nederland luck this season, going forward....I think they have a great coach... he is a good guy, and I consider him to be a personal friend....and has been for the last 12 years...relax... 8)
[/quote]
[/quote]
I will say this...THIS years district title is not exactly a lock for Nederland...They need to win 2 of the next 3, and thats going to be a task for this team...I still think they will lose at Ozen, and then LCM is lurking..Don't get ahead of yourself... ;)
[/quote]
I didn't say they were a lock to win.  Your the one that said they would likely win their second straight district title....I was just correcting your error because it would actually be their third if they do. 

You could actually make the argument on a program rebuilding standpoint, that Nederland's success(or any school that has done the same) over the past few years is bigger than a state tournament apperance by a school that is loaded for one year.  IMO it could be considered a tougher acccomplishment. 
I really admire what Coach English has done against the odds he has faced and obstacles he has had to overcome. 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172603" timestamp="1328491559"]
You could actually make the argument on a program rebuilding standpoint, that Nederland's success(or any school that has done the same) over the past few years is bigger than a state tournament apperance by a school that is loaded for one year.  IMO it could be considered a tougher acccomplishment. 
I really admire what Coach English has done against the odds he has faced and obstacles he has had to overcome.
[/quote]

strongly agree

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172603" timestamp="1328491559"]
[/quote]

Ok...what about a program builder who has gone to the state final four multiple times, like 10, and even winning a state championship or three, with different players? Is that in your estimation, noteworthy?

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172615" timestamp="1328492842"]
Without a doubt, that is beyond noteworthy, but that is not the comparison that was given above.
But there is a difference between a team that goes from the BOTTOM with very low potential, and does what you have said, and a team that has the very high potential and does the same.
[/quote]
Ok....if said teams had such potential, what have they done since the departure of the coach that guided them to such success? I mean its supposed to just keep rolling to whoever is hired, because, after all, it IS automatic, right?....but as you see, its not....it SHOULD be obvious as to why said programs are not still rolling through district, and making trips to state...it SHOULD be. No one is denying what Coach E has been able to do in Nederland, but please understand, certain sideline changes has helped to make that success possible...that SHOULD be obvious.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172625" timestamp="1328494298"]
You are going to have be more specific, everything in your message can be made an assumption.
[/quote]
Sure, I thought you were in on the convos on other threads...I am referring to the state of Port Arthur, and Beaumont Ozen basketball programs.  Since he left Ozen, the program has literally crumbled, and Nederland has won the last two district titles. I am saying had he not accepted to AD spot in PA, this absolutely would NOT be the case..They may have made the playoffs, and played well, but going 14-0 last year and winning the first 10 this year? No. Some from the area want to put Boutte in the category of coaches who won because of talent, and that could not be FURTHER from the truth.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder