Thoughts on Silsbee/HJ part 2

First off, let me say that being at a high school basketball game in which the doors were closed 10 minutes before the start of the FRESHMAN game due to the numbers attending was MIND BLOWING...It was a college type atmosphere for almost 5 hours! AMAZING..and I must say the administration and staff over at HJ handled it beautifully...I think having these games played at a larger venue next season is inevidible and the powers to be realize that they need to make it happen.....

As far as the game went...Compared to what I saw last week at Central vs. Ozen...it was NO COMPARISON...You can CLEARLY see that these teams are both well coached, they had direction coming from both sidelines, adjustments were being made throughout, and the kids responded..It was a JOY to see...

I thought the KEY player in last night game for HJ was the guard #3...He missed some shots early on, but once he settled in, he was clutch...he got to the rim, he defended those Silsbee guards well, and was that X-factor that I was talking about in the broadcast Monday night...Prudhomme did what everyone expected, but #3 brought another element in this game...Silsbee HAMMERED HJ on the glass, and got all loose balls, and it almost cost them the game, along with HJ's poor FT shooting in the first half...The officials were not bad, but as I knew when I saw them coming in, (they were Houston refs) they blew the whistle a LOT! That being said, they were consistent, which was a good thing but both teams were in the double bonus in both halves EARLY in the second and fourth quarters, which was actually to Silsbee's advantage early because HJ shot so poorly from the line in the 1st half....Silsbee, in my opinion, shot themselves in the foot by shooting so many three's, which clearly was not their strength last night..When they were turning on the defense and utilizing their team speed, they looked like they would run away with it for a minute...However HJ battled, and made big baskets and made runs of their own...HJ made a key adjustment down the stretch, getting in the paint and going inside on consecutive trips to trigger the 4th quarter run..Silsbee had no answer for #32, and he did a good job of finishing around the basket..I think Silsbee's pressure (Good Lord, Silsbee is FAST) bothered HJ early on, but it seemed as if in the 4th, Silsbee seemed to run out of gas a bit near the end, which allowed HJ to take control, while getting in the lane...Also with #11 fouling out for Silsbee early in the 4th, I thought that hurt them BAD...He gave them a lot on the offensive end along with #11...I liked the job that #23 for Silsbee did off the bench as well...GREAT GAME, by two evenly matched teams...One has a size advantage (HJ) the other had superior quickness (Silsbee)...I think the difference in the end, was the adjustments from the HJ bench...By going inside, they got easy baskets down the stretch and Silsbee was still shooting long threes. I am looking forward to seeing these teams in the playoffs!

Very well said DV.

I thought about it at home last night, and the difference to me in addition to HJ clutch FT and Silsbee poor 3 point percentage was exactly as you just put it.  HJ started attacking the glass, and Silsbee kept settling for the long ball.

Great game, great atmosphere.  Gotta love it!!!

Very good analysis. The only thing I may add would be that although the Tigers may have been tired I believe the pressure in the fourth wasnt as intense because of the foul trouble with two guards fouling out and another with four.  And the inside game for HJ benefited for the same reason with both of our bigs starting the fourth with for apiece and fouling out. Great game!

Guest speechless
HJ started the fourth with Prudhomme and Harmon on the bench

Harmon fouled out early in the fourth

Prudhomme, Persohn, and either Johnson or Bosha had 4 also.

Silsbee should expect to have foul issues when they play a very aggressive man to man defense against a competitive team.  The benefits of that type of defense are obvious.  The penalties for that same defense are aptly denominated in the foul count.  And in the fourth quarter after you have been running as hard as you can for the whole game, you are bound to have to defend a little less aggressively or deal with the consequences.  If you dont, the price is feet and hands that arent quite as quick as  earlly in the game and hence those 4th and 5th fouls.

I was actually thinking all four had 4 by the end, although it was hard to keep up with the numbers.

How many total players got in the game last night from both teams? I kept hearing about Silsbee's bench early on, but I believe HJ played more the first game. Not sure though about last night.

HJ played 9 and Silsbee played 10.

HJ had one with 5 fouls, two with 4 and three with 3.

Silsbee had 4 with 5 fouls, one with 4.

No other players from either team had more than one foul.

IMO, Silsbee in playing 10 kids really had the majority of the minutes played by 7 of them, and HJ in playing 9 kids had the majority of the minutes played by 8 of them.

When you really only play 7 players in a game where there were 52 fouls called, you will have many players foul out.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1169759" timestamp="1328120524"]
Houston Yates plays the same style how do they not get do tired at all and run up so many points they had 100 by halftime and 170 to end the game what's up with that.
[/quote]

If they played another team similar to them, the score would not be in the 100s

[quote name="stevenash" post="1169771" timestamp="1328121220"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=95270.msg1169759#msg1169759 date=1328120524]
Houston Yates plays the same style how do they not get do tired at all and run up so many points they had 100 by halftime and 170 to end the game what's up with that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No it would not...Travis man-handled them in the opener. They are not like they were 2 years ago, but they are still pretty darn good.

[quote name="ST413" post="1169684" timestamp="1328113337"]
Very good analysis. The only thing I may add would be that although the Tigers may have been tired I believe the pressure in the fourth wasnt as intense because of the foul trouble with two guards fouling out and another with four.  And the inside game for HJ benefited for the same reason with both of our bigs starting the fourth with for apiece and fouling out. Great game!
[/quote]

I think some may be taking this statement in the wrong way.  All I was trying to say is I think the changes and adjustments were more a result of foul trouble than fatigue. 

[quote name="stevenash" post="1169771" timestamp="1328121220"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=95270.msg1169759#msg1169759 date=1328120524]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yates lost in the playoffs last year to LaMarque 103-94. I don't know LaMarque's style of play, but I'm guessing it's a similar style of play??

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine