Moving your child out of a academically unacceptable school???

The school district you want to move your kid to has the right to deny him access. However, if it grants access, it will receive the same amount of state funding for the child as any other district (I believe that rate is $55 per day present at school).

Correct. The school has to be willing to accept transfers. In the past it was very difficult to find a school that would accept transfers, especially if you were changing districts. However, now districts are more willing because of financial gain.

[quote name="show me the money" post="1156503" timestamp="1326077127"]
Thanks is there any loss of eligibility if my child is in sports?
[/quote]

UIL could still rule that the move is for athletic reasons. Your child may not be eligible for varsity sports. Will just depend on their ruling.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1156522" timestamp="1326079051"]
[quote author=show me the money link=topic=93939.msg1156503#msg1156503 date=1326077127]
[/quote]

UIL could still rule that the move is for athletic reasons. Your child may not be eligible for varsity sports. Will just depend on their ruling.
[/quote]

Is that still needed if you transfer to a school in a different classification or UIL district?

Guest octfeb
[quote author=show me the money link=topic=93939.msg1156503#msg1156503 date=1326077127]
[/quote]

[b]UIL could still rule that the move is for athletic reasons.[/b] Your child may not be eligible for varsity sports. Will just depend on their ruling.
[/quote]If a school is found academically unacceptable.. The law states a parent can send their child to a different district.. I don't think the UIL can rule on anything athletic if the reason is an unacceptable academic rating. IMO I don't see how the UIL could or should have any say.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1156552" timestamp="1326087127"]
Oh, believe me, the UIL does have a say and can rule that he moved for athletic reasons.
[/quote]I believe you.. I can't see how they can do that. Because academics take precedent over sports or any other extra curricular activity.

[quote name="octfeb" post="1156555" timestamp="1326111133"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=93939.msg1156552#msg1156552 date=1326087127]
Oh, believe me, the UIL does have a say and can rule that he moved for athletic reasons.
[/quote]I believe you.. I can't see how they can do that. Because academics take precedent over sports or any other extra curricular activity.
[/quote]

I completely agree with you.  I don't know how the UIL can say that parents who exercise an option granted by the State of Texas when their school is deemed academically unacceptable are moving for anything for athletic reasons....but they do.

Q: What is the PEG program?

A: In 1995, the Texas Legislature created the Public Education Grant (PEG) program [TEC §§29.201 - 29.205]. The PEG program permits parents whose children attend schools on the PEG list to request that their children transfer to schools in other districts. A list of PEG-designated schools is provided to districts annually. By February 1, districts must notify each parent of a student in the district assigned to attend a school on the PEG list. Based on the February list, parents may request a transfer for the following school year. (For example, the list provided to parents by February 1, 2012 allows for transfer requests for the 2012 -13 school year.)

Through the PEG program, districts receive a slightly higher allocation of funding from the state for each PEG-transferred student. (The additional funding is equal to 10% of the adjusted basic allotment, which varies by school.)

[u][b]Athletic Eligibility[/b][/u]
Q: If a student transfers under the PEG program, does that affect their athletic eligibility?

A: Possibly. Rules regarding UIL eligibility are governed by the University Interscholastic League, not by TEA or by the school district. Please see the downloadable UIL-TEA Side by Side. Pages 8 and 9 address PEG transfers.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/tea-uil-side-by-side.pdf

Source:
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/peg_faq.html

[/quote]

[/quote]UIL [size=14pt][color=red]WILL[/color][/size] rule ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    julianhudges
    Newest Member
    julianhudges