Rumors say next Crosby coach now in Corsicana

Rumors say next Crosby coach now in Corsicana

By TODD HVEEM      [email protected]      Baytown Sun Sports

Crosby High School is taking all the right steps, and saying all the right things. But a couple of very good sources have told me the Cougars’ next head football coach is coming from Corsicana High School.
It’s not surprising, really. It happens all the time. Schools have to legally post jobs and go through the formality of conducting a few interviews. But, often, the superintendent knows whom he wants before the process even starts.

Keith Moore is in his second year as Crosby’s superintendent. He wants to bring in his own people. He made an excellent hire when he brought in former Barbers Hill girls basketball coach John Chancellor. I am sure the new head football coach also will be successful. Crosby has more talent than most 5A teams, let alone 4A schools.

But my sources also told me Moore is trying his dead-level best to keep the members of the school board, boosters and Crosby alumni happy. Some of the school board members and several parents were unhappy with former head coach Kevin Flanigan. Moore could have listened, and then went searching for a coach.

“It was like Kevin Flanigan could have won state and he still wasn’t going to be the head coach,’’ one source said.

I don’t know if that is true or not. None of us do. But, if the rumors are true, either Corsicana defensive coordinator Brian Dunn or Corsicana defensive coordinator Gary Jessie could be the Cougars’ next head coach. Yes, they are co-defensive coordinators.

Corsicana quarterbacks coach Shade Boulware also is rumored to be coming to Crosby to be an assistant football coach.

Of course, Moore, Jessie and Dunn denied the rumors. But, sometimes, that is all part of the game. A rumor leaks out, the coach in question denies it, and then they are hired a short time later.

“Anything anybody is telling you right now is not true,’’ Moore said when asked about the situation. “All the resumes are coming directly to me. I have been fielding resumes and kind of looking over them. At this point, all the horses are in the gate and nobody has a head start.’’

Moore wouldn’t comment on Dunn or Jessie.

“I am not going to comment on any applicants,’’ added Moore, who noted he has received close to 200 resumes. “If they apply with me, their names will be maintained with me. When people apply for jobs, they don’t want their districts frustrated with them (if their name gets out). I am going to respect their privacy.

“If I stop keeping secrets, we will stop getting quality applicants,’’ he added. “Our objective is to come out with the best possible candidate we can get.’’

Jessie said he didn’t know the job was open when contacted at the Corsicana field house.

“I am at home here, I don’t see that happening,’’ said Jessie. “This is my first year back here. We had a great season.’’

Corsicana advanced to the Class 4A state semifinals before losing to defending state-champion Aledo.

Jessie has never been a head coach.

“Everybody wants to go through that some day,’’ Jessie said. “But I am not there yet. (But) if they call and talk to me, now that is a different story.

“(I am sure) Crosby is a great job,’’ added Jessie. “But I didn’t know anything about it. Besides, they don’t want me.  I have long dreadlocks.’’

Dunn, who has been Corsicana’s defensive coordinator for three years, said he has not applied for the job.

“I didn’t even know it was open,’’ Dunn claimed.

Dunn also has never been a head coach.

“I probably wouldn’t be interested,’’ he said.

Crosby is scheduled to finish taking applications on Friday and start the first round of interviews during the first week of January. The finalists will be interviewed during the second week of January, and Moore hopes to have a candidate to present at the Jan. 23 school board meeting.

“I am not going to comment on anybody who has or hasn’t applied,’’ Moore reiterated. “I think this is a high profile enough position that all the candidates deserve that respect.’’

But are there really any candidates? Or will Jessie/Dunn be the Cougars’ next head coach? Stay tuned.

Staying in the rumor mill, Katy’s Gary Joseph is being talked about for the University of Houston football job.

Joseph is as tough as they come. He runs a tough ship and demands perfection. He is cut a lot out of the Art Briles mode.

But is he right for the Cougars’ job? Time will tell. It will be interesting to see who is the next man to come on board on Interstate 45 and Cullen.

Guest incognito123
This is an interesting post considering that you told me last week that no rumors are allowed on any of these message boards.  This is the double standard that I was referring to in our earlier discussions.  Rumors are not allowed, unless the mods allow them.  Is that how it goes??

[quote name="incognito123" post="1147102" timestamp="1324034915"]
This is an interesting post considering that you told me last week that no rumors are allowed on any of these message boards.  This is the double standard that I was referring to in our earlier discussions.  Rumors are not allowed, unless the mods allow them.  Is that how it goes??
[/quote]

You know, I gave two guys on the basketball board a weeks vacation for posts just like this.  And if you do this again, you will join them!

[quote name="Cap Rock Brewing Co." post="1147170" timestamp="1324050414"]
can't someone file an open records request to see who applied?
[/quote]

You could but those normally take 14-28 days to process, and we would know who the coach is by then. Also i'm not sure if you can do that for applications.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1147199" timestamp="1324057171"]
[quote author=Cap Rock Brewing Co. link=topic=93144.msg1147170#msg1147170 date=1324050414]
can't someone file an open records request to see who applied?
[/quote]

You could but those normally take 14-28 days to process, and we would know who the coach is by then. Also i'm not sure if you can do that for applications.
[/quote]

The time period is that a governmental entity (in this case the Crosby ISD) has 10 [b]business[/b] days from the time of the request to either comply with the request or indictate they will seek an Attorney General's opinion as to whether the law requires  them to comply with the request.

If the hiring is imminent, then Cougtalk is correct, the hiring will be announced before the district has to comply.

The sad thing is Crosby had a good coach, but some board members had personal vendettas against Kevin. Like him sitting their kids for destroying a a locker room from another school in the district and their sons quiting because they can't handle the workouts. The new superintendant came in and said it was his decision to force Kevin to resign, but he is an idiot if he thinks the people in Crosby don't know he had the backing of the majority of the school board to do that. No superintendant goes into a new school and forces the head football/ athletic director coach to resign with a record that Kevin had without some backing from the school board. He took Crosby to playoffs 7 out of his 8 years there and more wins than any other coach in that time. The only thing the folks of Crosby can hope for is Moore hires someone already on staff. If not, not only does Moore loose 4 or 5 coaches, but 4 or 5 coaches spouses that are awesome teachers in the district and from one school in particular, those are teachers that cannot be replaced. If that happens the board members better have their stuff packed because that community isn't going to let them hang around!!!  IMO!!! ::) ::) ::)

Guest Cap Rock Brewing Co.
[quote name="COUG/CAT" post="1147328" timestamp="1324065973"]
The sad thing is Crosby had a good coach, but some board members had personal vendettas against Kevin. Like him sitting their kids for destroying a a locker room from another school in the district and their sons quiting because they can't handle the workouts. The new superintendant came in and said it was his decision to force Kevin to resign, but he is an idiot if he thinks the people in Crosby don't know he had the backing of the majority of the school board to do that. No superintendant goes into a new school and forces the head football/ athletic director coach to resign with a record that Kevin had without some backing from the school board. He took Crosby to playoffs 7 out of his 8 years there and more wins than any other coach in that time. The only thing the folks of Crosby can hope for is Moore hires someone already on staff. If not, not only does Moore loose 4 or 5 coaches, but 4 or 5 coaches spouses that are awesome teachers in the district and from one school in particular, those are teachers that cannot be replaced. If that happens the board members better have their stuff packed because that community isn't going to let them hang around!!!  IMO!!! ::) ::) ::)

[/quote]
  There is a great coach on staff who was very successful as the man at Alto who should be a finalist for this job. 

Guest incognito123
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1147105" timestamp="1324039623"]
[quote author=incognito123 link=topic=93144.msg1147102#msg1147102 date=1324034915]
[/quote]

You guys are giving "vacations" because people point out your blatent double standards on these boards? You guys need something better to do.

You know, I gave two guys on the basketball board a weeks vacation for posts just like this.  And if you do this again, you will join them!
[/quote]

[quote name="incognito123" post="1147746" timestamp="1324128516"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=93144.msg1147105#msg1147105 date=1324039623]
[quote author=incognito123 link=topic=93144.msg1147102#msg1147102 date=1324034915]
[/quote]

You guys are giving "vacations" because people point out your blatent double standards on these boards? You guys need something better to do.

[/quote]
[/quote]

What is it with these Don Quixote-like head first plunges that folks wish to make?

[quote name="incognito123" post="1147102" timestamp="1324034915"]
[/quote]

Double Secret Probation coming soon...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder