Hamshire-Fannett @ Vidor/Game played last night, HF wins 63-51

My thoughts from a Vidor fan who has seen HF play us 3 times as well as some parts of HF games at the tournaments:

HF looked really good in the first game (under previous coach).  They had a ton of energy and destroyed the Vidor team before the 1st qtr was halfway over.  Vidor did play better in the 2nd half, but HF played subs as much as they played their starters.  And I do not recall the exact score but it seems like HF won by 40ish.

The 2nd time we played, Vidor could not buy a bucket.  I think it was our worst shooting game of the season.  But HF did not look nearly as good as they did in the previous matchup.  I think Vidor still lost by 20+.

Last night, it looked much more like the 1st HF team that we played.  And while something is still quite different (I am not exactly sure what it is), they were playing much better than the 2nd time.  Conversely, Vidor played as good last night as we have played all year.  Our 1st half last night, was the best half of BB that the Pirates have played this year.  And the 2nd half may have been the 2nd best half that we have played all year.  Had HF been off or played like they did in our 2nd meeting, the outcome could have been different. 

(Please do not think that I am being sour grapes here.  We have played HF 3 times and lost by a combined 80 or so points.  I am not trying to say that Vidor is as good as HF.  Clearly the record tells the story.)

I have enjoyed watching HF play and I wish them luck in District.  I cannot imagine how difficult it might be to ride the roller coaster that those boys have been on.  I do not know the coaches or boys, personally, but I wish them all luck in District.

Vidor really played pretty good last night.  But I understand what is coming on the 20-4A District Schedule.  I am very proud of my boy and have gotten to know all of these boys over the years.  They are a good group of boys and they are improving as a team. 

They will be the Underdogs every in every District Game.  It sure would be fun if they could shock/scare some people!  I know I will be there rooting them on.

I watched this game also, I thought HF would blow them out but Vidor hung in there. If they had some height to off-set HF height it could have been a different outcome. The kid from Vidor with the mohawk played as big as he could but it still wasn't enough to stop HF inside game. Good Luck to both teams in District...

[quote name="bball2011" post="1145574" timestamp="1323805201"]
I watched this game also, I thought HF would blow them out but Vidor hung in there. If they had some height to off-set HF height it could have been a different outcome. The kid from Vidor with the mohawk played as big as he could but it still wasn't enough to stop HF inside game. Good Luck to both teams in District...
[/quote]

That was Quirante, but at 5'11" (I do not care what they put him on the program as), how many inches was he given up to your big man?  6 inches?  I agree that he played great but that is a lot of inches to give up.  And he was probably giving up another 6 inches in Wingspan as well!

I kept some stats on that game Monday night and I can tell you that Vidor pretty much owned the rebounds.  In the first half the Pirates had twice as many rebounds as HF.  In the second half, the Pirates had a 5 or so advantage on the boards.  In the first half the Pirates shot the ball pretty well and made just over 50% from the field, while HF was about 60%.  The second half was a very different story for the Pirates, who shot right at 25% from the field and 0/9 from beyond the arc, while HF maintained their 60% shooting performance.

It was the best game I have seen Vidor play all year and putting Quirante on the HF center was a really smart move on the coaches part.  It kept Woodside out of foul trouble and allowed him to grab some rebounds.  He had 12 for the game...

The Pirates look like they are finally beginning to come together as a team, but they have a very long way to go to compete in 20-4A.  They are still very young, and short, compared to everyone else in the district.

In order for HF to truly compete against their district foes, they are going to have to do a better job of rebounding, both offensively and defensively.  Other than that, they look like  a pretty good team and in my opinion, they should make the playoffs.  I hope they do because I know that they have had to deal with some real issues not of their doing.

[quote name="vp32" post="1146504" timestamp="1323927414"]
Looks like the Vidor team turned some heads last night. Look out 20-4A i know were a long way away but we definitely have the making of a dark horse in the district.  8)
[/quote]i think you do better pretending Vidor is still in playoffs than pretending they will make noise in their district :D

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1146526" timestamp="1323956376"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=93014.msg1146504#msg1146504 date=1323927414]
Looks like the Vidor team turned some heads last night. Look out 20-4A i know were a long way away but we definitely have the making of a dark horse in the district.  8)
[/quote]i think you do better pretending Vidor is still in playoffs than pretending they will make noise in their district :D
[/quote]
I'm not sure WHAT HEADS were turned when you consider that a good (?) 4A school lost by 12 points to a good 3A school.  The movie "Beetlejuice" comes to mind for some reason. ??? ::)

There might be those on this link who are, well, not really dealing with reality....to say that Vidor is a dark horse or might make some waves in 20-4A isnt dealing with reality.  That said, the Pirates did look much improved against HF.  HF is a good team, but would probably be on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs were concerned in 20-4A.

I think at the start of the season most people who knew the Pirates would have predicted a 15 win season as being successful, so there are no illusions from those who know the situation.

Lets be pretty clear here, the Pirates graduated 9 kids off of last years team and returned just one player with any varsity experience.  The Pirates know how tough the district is and they know all about expectations.  I expect the Pirates to play everybody hard and I expect them to grow as a team.  Those of us that know the program knew that this was going to be a very tough year, but also knew that better days were coming.  Besides, the game isnt played here, but on the court, so you just never know, the Pirates might actually surprise a team or two in 20-4A.  I promise you those kids wont ever take the court expecting to lose.  Man, ya gotta love that attitude.

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1146734" timestamp="1323978252"]
There might be those on this link who are, well, not really dealing with reality....to say that Vidor is a dark horse or might make some waves in 20-4A isnt dealing with reality.  That said, the Pirates did look much improved against HF.  HF is a good team, but would probably be on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs were concerned in 20-4A.

I think at the start of the season most people who knew the Pirates would have predicted a 15 win season as being successful, so there are no illusions from those who know the situation.

Lets be pretty clear here, the Pirates graduated 9 kids off of last years team and returned just one player with any varsity experience.  The Pirates know how tough the district is and they know all about expectations.  I expect the Pirates to play everybody hard and I expect them to grow as a team.  Those of us that know the program knew that this was going to be a very tough year, but also knew that better days were coming.  Besides, the game isnt played here, but on the court, so you just never know, the Pirates might actually surprise a team or two in 20-4A.  I promise you those kids wont ever take the court expecting to lose.  Man, ya gotta love that attitude.
[/quote]

Well put and we're a very young team.

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1146734" timestamp="1323978252"]

[/quote]Sounds almost like a  pardon

No pardons, no excuses, no mercy.  Just straight up facts.  The Pirates should be and are, expected to win on whatever court or field they compete on.  AT the same time, everyone involved has to be realistic.  Sometimes teams are up, sometimes not.  Right now, the Pirates are young, small, and not very experienced at the varsity level.  But they are also hard headed and wont give an inch to the teams they play.  They will battle with all they have.  And they are gaining experience.  Nobody is making excuses.  Compared to most teams in 20-4A the Pirates arent very good.  Thats the way it is, but the show up for practice and work hard every day and they are improving.  As long as they do those things, they will continue to improve to the point of their expectations, which is to win every time they take the court.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami