Worst postgame article ever

WOS92

If I thought the person who wrote this would find their way to this site, I wouldn't post it, but WOW. I thought "news" stories were supposed to avoid editorializing (giving opinions) or using loaded words and phrases (like "got lucky"). It is a fun read if you read it in the "Wild and Crazy Guys" accent (for those of you old enough to remember that... for those of you NOT... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9sAENQNV8 )

http://www.bullardnews.com/news/2011-11-30/Sports/Panthers_fall_4513.html

Some of my favorites:

"Bullard went into the half with good scoreboard position where they felt comfortable coming into the second-half right chasing Orange-Stark but close enough to pull ahead like is their usual."

"The Mustangs scored one more time in the fourth with every break going their way. When they fumbled, they recovered it. When there was great coverage and no way they would catch the throw, they caught it for the touchdown."

Lots of times sports articles in small town newspapers are written by high school students, which would explain the ultimate homerism displayed in this piece. Many of the small papers don't have an editor who bothers to edit, or they're afraid to hurt someone's feelings by changing their article. Don't know anything about this paper or reporter, but it is not the "worst" I've seen. Maybe top three LOL. And as far as not editorializing, that's never been a standard in sports sections. Not even one anymore in "news" articles. 8)

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1135284" timestamp="1322657757"]
Define good scoreboard position?
[/quote]

What a terrible article. Small town papers like to show their bias.

Off topic: Driving to the Ned game Saturday, I tuned in the Ozen game on the radio. One announcer referred to the end zone as "pay area". I also hate announcers who refer to a TD as a "homerun".

Scoreboard position.....that's a new one.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1135315" timestamp="1322661057"]
the sentence structure of the article made me feel like i was reading an essay by either an 8th grader or one of those English-speaking Indians that you get when you try to get customer support on the phone.
[/quote]

The folks from India at least have an excuse...English is their second language, or even third.  This "writer" was educated in the US, possibly at Bullard. 

As to "homerism", there are papers that practice it everywhere.  The way it was written though, sounds like it's a girl whose boyfriend plays for the team.

Wow! That was definately a high schooler. I was sports editor of my high school paper and I can't see how that ever got published. Apparently, that paper has no editor. It also sounds like that was the first football game the writer has ever seen. Scoreboard posistion? I don't even want to know what that is.

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1136379" timestamp="1322760433"]
He or she would learn a lot form just stating the obvious, WOS Sucks.  Much easier and rolls off the tongue just right.  ;D
[/quote]

Guess Babel Hill isn't doing too good in basketball either, since Smoking Baby has all this time on it's hands.  Where is BH playing football right now?  Oh right, their Nintendos...

From the Bear side of the house...GO MUSTANGS!

[quote name="elhector1" post="1136471" timestamp="1322764777"]
[quote author=Smoking Baby link=topic=92475.msg1136379#msg1136379 date=1322760433]
He or she would learn a lot form just stating the obvious, WOS Sucks.  Much easier and rolls off the tongue just right.  ;D
[/quote]

[b]Guess Babel Hill isn't doing too good in basketball either[/b], since Smoking Baby has all this time on it's hands.  Where is BH playing football right now?  Oh right, their Nintendos...

[/quote]

The Lady Eagles are........11-0.  ;)

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1136672" timestamp="1322776017"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=92475.msg1136471#msg1136471 date=1322764777]
[quote author=Smoking Baby link=topic=92475.msg1136379#msg1136379 date=1322760433]
[/quote]

[b]Guess Babel Hill isn't doing too good in basketball either[/b], since Smoking Baby has all this time on it's hands.  Where is BH playing football right now?  Oh right, their Nintendos...

[/quote]

[/quote]

I heard that's what they're re-naming the football team next year.  ;D

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1136672" timestamp="1322776017"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=92475.msg1136471#msg1136471 date=1322764777]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Notice the LADY Eagles got the props...great job ladies!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine