Thank You Jeff Mathews!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133166" timestamp="1322440558"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=92257.msg1133161#msg1133161 date=1322440278]
Poor lil johny got his feelings hurt in 2003 and still hasn't gotten over it.
[/quote]
;) These insults just crack me up; especially how anyone can have kids and this poor girl (your daughter) has to have you as a dad.  Your stupidity speaks for itself.
[/quote]

[b]Admin Note:[/b]  Edited for language.  Watch the language, 32.  You know better than that!

Well your year was completely different from the ones I had [b]under[/b] Coach Mathews as a player and what I have seen for the years that I've spent hanging around him. There will always be those who are the coaches "favorites", which I guess is what you are trying to imply, but I have never seen any unfair treatment when it came to breaking the rules. I can say this because I was considered one of his "favorites"  and on two, there are many more, I had punishment for breaking the rules. The first was being late to practice, I had an extreme ankle injury my junior year that required me to get a lengthy and complicated tape job. I was late to practice and had to roll for it [b]like everyone did/would have[/b] if they were late to practice. The other time was for explicit language, scout D was not performing well and in turn I got yelled at (I was an O-lineman), I used some words I shouldn't have and enden having 200 yards of air raids after that practice. Believe me the punishments were fair and just to each and every player. Need I say more?

[quote name="strother78" post="1133181" timestamp="1322441268"]
Well your year was completely different from the ones I had [b]under[/b] Coach Mathews as a player and what I have seen for the years that I've spent hanging around him. There will always be those who are the coaches "favorites", which I guess is what you are trying to imply, but I have never seen any unfair treatment when it came to breaking the rules. I can say this because I was considered one of his "favorites"  and on two, there are many more, I had punishment for breaking the rules. The first was being late to practice, I had an extreme ankle injury my junior year that required me to get a lengthy and complicated tape job. I was late to practice and had to roll for it [b]like everyone did/would have[/b] if they were late to practice. The other time was for explicit language, scout D was not performing well and in turn I got yelled at (I was an O-lineman), I used some words I shouldn't have and enden having 200 yards of air raids after that practice. Believe me the punishments were fair and just to each and every player. Need I say more?
[/quote]
And that's coming from a lineman.

[quote name="strother78" post="1133181" timestamp="1322441268"]
[/quote]
I completely understand where you are coming from and can respect that.  I will say it one more time though: There were 5 or 6 players that were dipping skoal (and were in the same room with the coaches) cursing, and breaking countless other "rules" that everyone else would get swatted for by one of the coaches.  I'm not saying it was all Coach Mathews though.  There were a couple of other coaches that let those certain players not have to do the same things everyone else was doing.  I truly, truly do see where you are coming from though because everyone on that class of '01 team was equal, got the same punishments AND kudos from coaches, and had mutual respect for every one of their brothers on that team.  It was a true team, a family.  On the other hand, class of '04 on the other hand was a far cry from that team, and it was because of the division in that locker room.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133209" timestamp="1322442543"]
[quote author=strother78 link=topic=92257.msg1133181#msg1133181 date=1322441268]
[/quote]
I completely understand where you are coming from and can respect that.  I will say it one more time though: There were 5 or 6 players that were dipping skoal (and were in the same room with the coaches) cursing, and breaking countless other "rules" that everyone else would get swatted for by one of the coaches.  I'm not saying it was all Coach Mathews though.  There were a couple of other coaches that let those certain players not have to do the same things everyone else was doing.  I truly, truly do see where you are coming from though because everyone on that class of '01 team was equal, got the same punishments AND kudos from coaches, and had mutual respect for every one of their brothers on that team.  It was a true team, a family.  On the other hand, class of '04 on the other hand was a far cry from that team, and it was because of the division in that locker room.
[/quote]
I'll quit badgering you then cause I volunteer my time as the soccer strength coach and myself, at times though they are rare,  being more lenient towards others. Though I try not to, I try to be as unbiased as I possibly can.

[quote name="strother78" post="1133221" timestamp="1322443179"]
[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1133209#msg1133209 date=1322442543]
[quote author=strother78 link=topic=92257.msg1133181#msg1133181 date=1322441268]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I'll quit badgering you then cause I volunteer my time as the soccer strength coach and myself, at times though they are rare,  being more lenient towards others. Though I try not to, I try to be as unbiased as I possibly can.
[/quote]
Then I give you kudos.  I simply wanted to give my thoughts on why my senior year playing football (along with several others) was under-cutted by a handful of players that were given special treatment.  Thanks for hearing me out.  I haven't really had an opportunity to talk about it with anyone since the immediate end of that season.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133226" timestamp="1322443420"]
[quote author=strother78 link=topic=92257.msg1133221#msg1133221 date=1322443179]
[quote author=BetweenTheBuriedAndMe link=topic=92257.msg1133209#msg1133209 date=1322442543]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Then I give you kudos.  I simply wanted to give my thoughts on why my senior year playing football (along with several others) was under-cutted by a handful of players that were given special treatment.  Thanks for hearing me out.  I haven't really had an opportunity to talk about it with anyone since the immediate end of that season.
[/quote]
I was letting my friendship with him, though it hasn't or will not change, get in the way. Then I realized that I myself am a victim to these same coaching short-comings. We are all human and try to do the best we can.

major kudos to Jeff, the entire coaching staff and the entire Vidor Pirate team!! I have known Jeff since he came to Vidor under Pat Murphy and the Jeff from then, is the same Jeff we still have today. He's a great man both on and off the field. Nobody can make everyone happy so of course there will always be somebody who doesn't agree with everything. Very excited to see us next year as most of our boys are returning. Football season can't start soon enough!!!!! Vidor is VERY proud of the Pirates!!

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1133467" timestamp="1322492520"]
major kudos to Jeff, the entire coaching staff and the entire Vidor Pirate team!! I have known Jeff since he came to Vidor under Pat Murphy and the Jeff from then, is the same Jeff we still have today. He's a great man both on and off the field. Nobody can make everyone happy so of course there will always be somebody who doesn't agree with everything. Very excited to see us next year as most of our boys are returning. Football season can't start soon enough!!!!! Vidor is VERY proud of the Pirates!!
[/quote]

You are oh so right Pirategirl4ever. I don't care what anyone says about Jeff, he has done an outstanding job with all of Vidor sports and I wouldn't trade him for any other athletic director in the state of Texas. We are a 180 degree different program than what we were in the 90s. Great times to be a Vidor Pirate!!!

I'd just like to say that I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments over the last week.  Coach Mathews got in touch with me last night and apologized for the tribulations that EVERYONE went through that season; not just the players, but the coaches as well.  It was just an off year for everyone in that locker room and it explains a lot.  Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone and wish the Pirates good luck next season and on.

I still believe

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133887" timestamp="1322520113"]
I'd just like to say that I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments over the last week.  Coach Mathews got in touch with me last night and apologized for the tribulations that EVERYONE went through that season; not just the players, but the coaches as well.  It was just an off year for everyone in that locker room and it explains a lot.  Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone and wish the Pirates good luck next season and on.

I still believe
[/quote]

That's good to hear.

[quote name="BetweenTheBuriedAndMe" post="1133887" timestamp="1322520113"]

I still believe
[/quote]
Its all good. I apologize for letting my anger get the best of me. I just don't like it when someone attacks a man that i hold in the highest respect. I'm glad you got everything worked out for you man.

Hey coach, great job! Jeff has always done a good job in a job which isn't always easy. Each decision he makes usually makes some happy, and some mad....but, its usually the right decision in the end.
Coach, please continue to be who you are.....I kinda enjoy having you run our program....Thanks again!

[quote name="1left" post="1134316" timestamp="1322578023"]
Hey coach, great job! Jeff has always done a good job in a job which isn't always easy. Each decision he makes usually makes some happy, and some mad....but, its usually the right decision in the end.
Coach, please continue to be who you are.....I kinda enjoy having you run our program....Thanks again!
[/quote]

Great 1st Post....Jeff is a great leader in our district and our community.

• 2 months later...
betweentheburriedandme, you are a absolute joke. doubt you have the slightest idea of who coach mathews really is because from what you've said your showing everyone you really don't. you could try as hard as you want to make everone believe that bs and anyone who knew coach mathews would tell you your an idiot also. you were the band guy who wanted so bad to be on that feild with such a wonderful man and coach and just couldn't quite cut it , so now you have to bash on him. like most of ya'll said , i also wouldn't trade coach mathews as an ad or a coach for any other person in this world. coach loves his players like there his own and would do anything for them, Coach mathews .. greatest coach anyone could possibly have.

[quote name="ballfanned200" post="1175297" timestamp="1328856978"]
betweentheburriedandme, you are a absolute joke. doubt you have the slightest idea of who coach mathews really is because from what you've said your showing everyone you really don't. you could try as hard as you want to make everone believe that bs and anyone who knew coach mathews would tell you your an idiot also. you were the band guy who wanted so bad to be on that feild with such a wonderful man and coach and just couldn't quite cut it , so now you have to bash on him. like most of ya'll said , i also wouldn't trade coach mathews as an ad or a coach for any other person in this world. coach loves his players like there his own and would do anything for them, Coach mathews .. greatest coach anyone could possibly have.
[/quote]
Tell em man!
Great post!

I know this is an open forum, one where our opinions can be displayed for the "world" to see. Some people on here are so bitter that it's sickening and I often wonder what their life is like away from this forum. The whole point of this thread was to show thanks and gratitude to a man that one felt made a difference in his community. I don't know Coach Matthews personally but in what I've seen and heard of him, I can't help but feel that he is a great coach and that he has the Pirates headed in the right direction. I can't speak on previous years because this particular season was the only one that really had an impact on me. Great job Coach Matthews on a job well done!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• It's common knowledge that this sort of thing happens on ranches.  I'd be willing to bet more people than not in this forum have had to do it.  That said, she's an absolute moron for putting it in a book, period.  The act of killing the dog can be justified, but publicizing it is inexcusable for someone in her position.  I honestly have no clue what she was thinking.
    • There are times when certain things are appropriate, and when they are not.  We can agree to disagree on the appropriateness of star baseball players doing contact football drills in the days leading up the baseball playoffs.  
    • are you suggesting that if the football coach runs spring drills then the kids won't play fall ball without supervision?  Because if not, this argument has no relevance.  One doesn't take the place of the other.  one the AD has control of, the other he just tries to.  
    • I don't think it is overly hyped.. I am seeing less and less multi-sport kids when it can all be prevented.. A coach teaches l loyalty, work ethic, comradery, integrity, perseverance, etc.. to get kids to buy into their program. They talk about brotherhood and doing what is best for their community.... But some mean all of this  just for football... Kids see into this double standard and will quit.. either while on the field or off...  drives me crazy!!  and again... I work with these kids.. they tell me what they think.. so you can agree or disagree.. its their point of view!!
  • Topics