Olin plans to apply for Crosby job

vpdb78

A long-time Robert E. Lee head football coach plans to throw his resume into the ring at Crosby High School.

Dick Olin, who compiled a 106-67 record in 17 years at Lee, said he plans to apply for the head football job at Crosby. Olin has spent the last three years as the head football coach at Lewisville, where he compiled a 7-23 record. He said he was reassigned to maintenance after the 2011 season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="vpdb78" post="1130842" timestamp="1322307937"]
A long-time Robert E. Lee head football coach plans to throw his resume into the ring at Crosby High School.

Dick Olin, who compiled a 106-67 record in 17 years at Lee, said he plans to apply for the head football job at Crosby. Olin has spent the last three years as the head football coach at Lewisville, where he compiled a 7-23 record. [b]He said he was reassigned to maintenance after the 2011 season.[/b]
[/quote]

So we are getting the highest paid maintenance man in Texas to come coach? Great!

[quote name="vpdb78" post="1130842" timestamp="1322307937"]  He said he was reassigned to maintenance after the 2011 season.
[/quote]

Something about that really makes me chuckle a bit...I think I've heard it all now...I mean I've heard of reassignments to jr high team, girls team, etc, but I think this is the first time I've seen a coach reassigned to the maintenance dept...That's just cold ;D 

Guest UHCoog14
Mike Manley and Herb Minyard (both Baytown Sterling head football coaches) were re-assigned to the Head of Maintenance for GCCISD.

Minyard took over this year after Manley retired.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1133408" timestamp="1322478649"]
I know! Shocker!

El Roberson, III lived in McNair.
(RSS district)

Even Drew Tate (Olin's stepson) lived in Sterling district (along with Olin) and was enrolled at RSS the first day of school.

Olin always found a way.
[/quote]

I hate to break anyones heart, but Dayton and Crosby both "recruited".  BH had a defensive player year before last that both had sit-down meetings with both Crosby and Dayton.  Both coaches made all efforts to get his parents to move to the school, one even saying he could get a teaching job for the kid's mother. 

I think Olin would be a no-brainer hire for Crosby.  I'd take him over any coaches in the area.

By the way, Price was offered a "grounds keeper" job before leaving.  ;D 

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1133430" timestamp="1322487876"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=92241.msg1133408#msg1133408 date=1322478649]
I know! Shocker!

(RSS district)

Even Drew Tate (Olin's stepson) lived in Sterling district (along with Olin) and was enrolled at RSS the first day of school.

Olin always found a way.
[/quote]

I hate to break anyones heart, but Dayton and Crosby both "recruited".  BH had a defensive player year before last that both had sit-down meetings with both Crosby and Dayton.  Both coaches made all efforts to get his parents to move to the school, one even saying he could get a teaching job for the kid's mother. 

I think Olin would be a no-brainer hire for Crosby.  I'd take him over any coaches in the area.

[/quote][sub][/sub]

Did that player stay in BH or move?

I believe two of the best coaches for Crosby are already on staff.
Marty Murr - Former AD of Aledo - LB coach now at Crosby
T.K. Harrison - Former DC at Port Author Memorial  - JH AD at now at Crosby.
I think both of these coaches can take over the program without messing up the winning chemistry already intact and could do nothing but improve the program.

I agree-Murr and Harrison are both great hires.  Brian Johnson left because Haynes was hired and brought his son as the QB, he and Phllip beck set records.  Bryan wasn't going to play QB so he left. 

Olin has the most impressive resume but, that doesn't mean his the best hire for Barrett Station(crosby).  Crosby needs to act fast though, spring ball is right around the corner.

I would like to see Harrison get it.
I would also like to see Freemon get it.
Heck I would like to see a african-american coach in Crosby for a change.  That is probably what Barrett Station wants.

[quote name="datruth1" post="1133487" timestamp="1322494276"]
I agree-Murr and Harrison are both great hires.  Brian Johnson left because Haynes was hired and brought his son as the QB, he and Phllip beck set records.  Bryan wasn't going to play QB so he left. 

Olin has the most impressive resume but, that doesn't mean his the best hire for Barrett Station(crosby).  Crosby needs to act fast though, spring ball is right around the corner.

Heck I would like to see a african-american coach in Crosby for a change.  That is probably what Barrett Station wants.
[/quote]

So skin color is important.  Is this what I am supposed to think?

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1133533" timestamp="1322497456"]
[quote author=datruth1 link=topic=92241.msg1133487#msg1133487 date=1322494276]

[/quote]

So skin color is important.  Is this what I am supposed to think?
[/quote]

That all depends.

[quote name="broncoman" post="1133463" timestamp="1322492317"]
[quote author=Smoking Baby link=topic=92241.msg1133430#msg1133430 date=1322487876]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=92241.msg1133408#msg1133408 date=1322478649]
I know! Shocker!

(RSS district)

Olin always found a way.
[/quote]

[/quote][sub][/sub]

Did that player stay in BH or move?
[/quote]

He stayed when the decision was made to replace Don Price. He was however planning to go to Dayton.  Crosby did extend a lot of positive things as far as college recruiting went.  He was impressed with both Dayton and Crosby's efforts to help the kids after high school, which at the time reportedly did not happen at BH. 

[quote name="datruth1" post="1133487" timestamp="1322494276"]

[/quote]WOW!!!! did you really say that???... I would like to say Harrison would get it based on his actions and resume... not because he his black... 

What is all this hype about Freemon.. Yes he played there and holds some records but has he ever been a OC or DC before???

Olin cached 4 D1 big school starters that were also successful at that level.  One was drafted into the Pro's.
Jamaal (sp) Alfred  BAylor
Clint Stoerner --Arkansas-then Dallas Cowboys
El Roberson--Kansas Jayhawks
Drew Tate-- Iowa --Canada

Some might say he knew where to find them but IMO he can teach and coach them.  The last one above was home grown by one of his own little swimmers.  The only thing he recruited on that one was the mother.

Guest UHCoog14
Jermaine Alfred not Jamal.

You left off Brian Johnson-Utah

Olin's "swimmers" had nothing to do with Drew's ability. You can thank Mr. Tate and Martha Olin for that.

Olin was and is an outstanding offensive coordinator. I would be shocked if he got the job at Crosby.

Olin is one of the top 3 or 4 qb coaches in the state.

Jermaine Alfred was a backup offensive lineman when Olin got to Lee.
He turned him into an All-State qb and got him a scholarship to Baylor.

Stoerner was always a good qb.  Always zoned to go to Lee.

Ell Roberson went to Horace Mann.  I watched him 5 or 6 times in his 7th grade and 8th grade years.  They had a good running back named O'Neill Chambers that went to Sterling.  Roberson was always zoned to go to Lee. 

Tate lived with Olin.  They lived in La Reforma which was zoned to Lee at the time.  Do you honestly think he would live somewhere where his own son could not play on the team that he coached lol...

Brian Johnson was a recruit from Crosby, no denying that one.  He was a horrible quarterback when he got here though.  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn his junior year.  Mostly played receiver and some linebacker while Drew Tate finished up his senior year.  Johnson came on strong his senior year and got a scholarship to Utah where he helped dismantle Alabama in the Sugar Bowl a few years back.

Jeremy Moses was zoned to Lee.  Went to Lee, was very good, in line to get a D1 scholarship until he broke his leg his senior year.  Went to Stephen F Austin, set all kinds of records for them. 

Josh Jones was zoned to Lee.  Ended up going to play for Army.

The only one that was had any sort of smoke around it was Brian Johnson.

If you want to say Olin found some receivers or other positions out in other zones, then maybe so....

By and large he made the qb's what they were with his superior coaching and offensive scheme, not by recruiting.

Guest UHCoog14
LaReforma has never been zoned to Lee.  That area along with Whispering Pines has been one "pocket" that is off limits to re-zoning.

Mrs. Olin (Drew's mom) taught at RSS and he expressed interest in playing with his friends at Sterling. He was on the rolls at RSS and withdrew. Can't say that I blame him.

El Roberson's family lived  in McNair. It was well known that he lived there with his grandparents.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder