A touching story from Zayne Simmons, starting strong-side linebacker from Vidor.

DP70

A wonderful story I saw, so I thought I'd share it.

My name is Zayne Simmons. My story can go as far as you let it go, I'm a resident of SouthEast, Texas. I attend Vidor High school and start Strong-side Linebacker. It started off as a game we played, then it became our lives, it grew within us and made us the men we are now. Our town has had a bad history of racism in the past, and people around this area won't let us move on from the other peoples mistakes in the past. But 2 years ago a boy named Matt Thomas came to my school, he was black and people were curious why he would want to come to our school. Later on me and Matt found out we were related and eventually became great friends. He was quickly accepted by everyone in our school. Always had a smile on his face and never had a dull moment in his life. It's now our Senior year and we have fought for not only victories on the field, but respect from all the other towns who look down on us. 2 months ago we lost Matt. He was struck by a train at 6:50 A.M. Sunday Morning October 16, 2011. Our town and our team was in total shock. We couldn't believe that he was gone for good. Coach Matthews asked us later if we wanted to play the upcoming game that week. We all thought about it and asked ourselves what would Matt Thomas do. So we came to the decision to play that week, We practiced hard even when everything hurt. We thought fought through the pain, even when we weren't sure if we'd make it. We are now 10-2 and in the 3rd round of the Texas 4A Division 1 play-offs. Every obstacle that was thrown at us we over came. We not only fight for victories on the field, but we fight for Matt and our towns respect. Football isn't just a game, it has taught us to keep fighting even when we are at rock bottom. I can only hope that this story gets out across the country for other kids who have had rough times in their lives and be an inspiration to the world.. I write this because something in my heart is telling me to, make this story known for our team and our city. That is all I ask of anyone who gets this and is inspired by it.

Great post Zayne! It's obvious to me that you and your teammates have learned some very valuable life lessons at an early age. Life isn't always fair. You guys have learned that it's not about winning and losing, it's about getting up everytime you get knocked down. As long as the Pirates keep getting up, everything else will take care of itself. Leave it all on the field Pirates. Rest in Peace #28 

I am so proud of our boys.  They have had to deal with and extreme amount of heartache this year and yet they continue to hold their heads high every single day, no matter how much pain they feel. As a VHS Alumni, this my friend is what makes you proud to call yourself a Pirate. The feeling you get while sitting in the stands week after week is like no other, its an amazing feeling of togetherness. I have been a Pirate since I was born and I wouldn't change that for the world. Go Pirates!!  ;)

What a great story [i]Zayne[/i]!! What an inspiration to everyone to hear from a player on what the feelings have been personally for you and your teammates. We are all so proud of our pirates and the strength that you all have shown to come together as a team.

[b]This is a team that you will hear about for years to come.[/b]

[i]Zayne's[/i] story is about compassion, honor, but most of all brotherly love.
LET'S GO PIRATES!    :)

Guest Wildcat32
[quote name="2% Milk" post="1128799" timestamp="1322109919"]
[quote author=Wildcat32 link=topic=92078.msg1128779#msg1128779 date=1322108819]
::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]you got problems man this isnt funny stuff
[/quote]

[color=purple]Hey man , rolling eyes is not laughing[/color] .  [color=purple]You're taking it the wrong way[/color]

[quote name="pirate68" post="1128798" timestamp="1322109896"]
[/quote]Why the eye roll??
[/quote]

It's rare that I accuse someone of having no class and no respect. Making a post that ignores and belittles the sincerity and dignified tone of a player trying to honor a fallen teammate warrants such an accusation. Someone is either doing some serious trolling or is just that clueless.

[quote name="Wildcat32" post="1128811" timestamp="1322110479"]
[quote author=2% Milk link=topic=92078.msg1128799#msg1128799 date=1322109919]
[/quote]you got problems man this isnt funny stuff
[/quote]

[color=purple]Hey man , rolling eyes is not laughing[/color] .  [color=purple]You're taking it the wrong way[/color]
[/quote]Well then...Why don't you explain how it should be taken? You posted it.

Wildcat 32= Doesn't Represent the Angleton I know. Just IGNORE them as they are Ignorant / stupid. As far as the story above goes, It is very touching. I had only recently (last week) learned of Matt Thomas' death and it is very saddening. I am very sorry for everyone's loss and I know your team wants to win it all for Matt, I wish them the best of luck this friday night, and if they make it to the next round I will be rooting for them...but for now I have to stick with AHS. Go CATS, Go!

Guest Wildcat32
[color=purple]OK  I was not laughing or disrespecting anyone . The eyerolls were in response to there being so many Vidor post and I should have clarified that . Sorry for the confusion and My deepest apologies to all persons I was not fully aware of the tragedy that occurred in your community . My heart goes out to Mr. Simmons , the Vidor football team and your entire community . I was not laughing at anyone or did not say anything derogatory towards anyone . Some other poster said that I was laughing and it spread like wildfire . If you go back and look I actually said nothing at all .[/color]

[quote name="Wildcat32" post="1128875" timestamp="1322144144"]
[color=purple]OK  I was not laughing or disrespecting anyone . The eyerolls were in response to there being so many Vidor post and I should have clarified that . Sorry for the confusion and My deepest apologies to all persons I was not fully aware of the tragedy that occurred in your community . My heart goes out to Mr. Simmons , the Vidor football team and your entire community . I was not laughing at anyone or did not say anything derogatory towards anyone . Some other poster said that I was laughing and it spread like wildfire . If you go back and look I actually said nothing at all .[/color]
[/quote]
You can still delete it if you'd like... ;)

[quote name="Wildcat32" post="1128875" timestamp="1322144144"]
[color=purple]OK  I was not laughing or disrespecting anyone . The eyerolls were in response to there being so many Vidor post and I should have clarified that . Sorry for the confusion and My deepest apologies to all persons I was not fully aware of the tragedy that occurred in your community . My heart goes out to Mr. Simmons , the Vidor football team and your entire community . I was not laughing at anyone or did not say anything derogatory towards anyone . Some other poster said that I was laughing and it spread like wildfire . [b]If you go back and look I actually said nothing at all .[/b][/color]
[/quote]
you rolled your eyes at a very touchy and serious subject to us. That is disrespectful. And some would say actions speak louder than words.

Guest Wildcat32
[quote name="SgtRey" post="1128913" timestamp="1322148469"]
[quote author=Wildcat32 link=topic=92078.msg1128875#msg1128875 date=1322144144]
[/quote]
You can still delete it if you'd like... ;)
[/quote]

Will do

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder