HJ football fans deserve better

Ah...you surmise that since I don't have a local community icon as my avatar, I don't live in a "nearby city"...so much for surmising.

I live in Orange, my kids graduated from LC-M.  I have lost my voice numerous times in both winning and losing efforts.  My oldest played football up to JV, and decided he was occupying a spot that someone with more talent could occupy.  I still went to football games.  My middle son played varsity baseball for Coach Griff...I still went to football games.  My daughter is not a sports kind of kid in high school...I still go to football games. 

I coached for the Orange County Flag Cobras, the Pop Warner organization here in Orange.  I have had the honor of coaching  several college athletes, in addition to one NFL one, all as little kids, with my coaching having nothing to do with their success or failure.  The community decided that.  The same community that gave a Mexican kid like me the chance to coach regardless of my lack of intricate football knowledge, the sam community that supported kids no matter the record.  This is also the same community that had a few folks that wouldn't go to a game to see their own children play, and it was heart breaking.  I know of at least one kid that was talented enough to go far ay WO-S and college, but didn't, because he had no support from the people that mattered.

In the same way, according to your own description, HJ fans won't give support to their football team until it wins first.  Again, your words, not mine.  They jump ship when things get tough.  I may not be a big PN-G fan, but I see them going to home and away games regardless of record.  THAT is they type of support HJ football needs, THAT is the type of support ANY program need, no matter where you live.  To a high school football team, the people that matter are the community, not just their parents.  You yourself said the community doesn't support them.  A community deserves a winner if they help to build it.  By your own words, HJ fans haven't done that for their football team.  I don't need to be there to understand it.  You are there, and you described it.  Point taken.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="speechless" post="1134375" timestamp="1322581968"]
Well, you know what they say about opinions.

I see the "attitude" every day.  Yet, I am sure you still think you have a better feel for it than I do.
[/quote]

On the contrary. But I don't think I am totally clueless to the subject.

[quote name="elhector1" post="1134392" timestamp="1322582659"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=91960.msg1134381#msg1134381 date=1322582091]
I was not referring to you when I spoke of people not living nearby.
[/quote]

Ah...point taken as well.  Thank you!
[/quote]

Nah, he meant me.  But looking at the totality of the thread, I have all of the answers I need.

Just a question.....  Has Don Price started the "change of attitude" in HF?  I think so. 

I feel that parents have to change......but........it does take a [b]strong person[/b] to guide them into change.  The Head Coach is the perfect person for that job. 

It doesn't matter if it is football or job related. Very few individuals can make change happen.

To be fair to HJ and the lack of fan support at the Silsbee game.  I was going to ask the posters why there were so few at the game, but I looked at our side.  It was a weak showing for Silsbee as well.

what difference does it make if it is the 8th or 9th game of the season or the 3rd game of the season?  I went to the Splendora game, about 1.5 or 2 hours away from Sour Lake.  HJ fan support was dismal.  The school bus drivers, a few parents, the principal and crickets.. i could be wrong, but HJ was 1-1 going into that game.  Where was all the support you speak of?  Back to my point, the community and students are not behind the program.  Again, back in the 80's, we would travel to all the away games.  It was not just a few, but a bunch.  It used to be the thing to do on Fridays.  Load up and go to the game.  Now, not so much.  I am not bagging on the football program or the coaches, i am bagging on the lack of support for the two. I am glad you, speechless, support the program.  what about your neighbors and others in the HJ community?

[quote name="86hawk" post="1134430" timestamp="1322586020"]
what difference does it make if it is the 8th or 9th game of the season or the 3rd game of the season?  I went to the Splendora game, about 1.5 or 2 hours away from Sour Lake.  HJ fan support was dismal.  The school bus drivers, a few parents, the principal and crickets.. i could be wrong, but HJ was 1-1 going into that game.  Where was all the support you speak of?  Back to my point, the community and students are not behind the program.  Again, back in the 80's, we would travel to all the away games.  It was not just a few, but a bunch.  It used to be the thing to do on Fridays.  Load up and go to the game.  Now, not so much.  I am not bagging on the football program or the coaches, i am bagging on the lack of support for the two. I am glad you, speechless, support the program.  what about your neighbors and others in the HJ community?
[/quote]

Excellent post!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1134365" timestamp="1322581474"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=91960.msg1134355#msg1134355 date=1322580787]
That is who does show up.....the parents, and those who have a vested interest.  HJ had a pretty good following this year regardless of their season.  WOSGrad and[b] AAW like to use the Silsbee game[/b] as an example but, fail to mention that it was late in the season, on the road, and the first real cold front of the year.  So, yes, there was a poor outing for that game but, overall the crowds were pretty decent at games this year despite the record.

That is why it is bothersome to have someone say "they are just passing time".  There are too many people that it is a slap in the face to and is simply not an accurate assessment. 

I don't like the letter that was published in the BE and think it was inappropriate to publish such garbage.  Unfortunately, that is how the world works today....the media is looking to stir up anything negative because that is what sells.  I find it comical that people that don't even live in a community (or in this posts case in a nearby city) seem to have so many answers/opinions on what is or isn't going on.  Truth be told they know very little and that makes it even more troubling that they come on internet message boards and say things when they are not as informed as they think they are.
[/quote]

Well, in my case I wasn't just referring to the Silsbee game in my past comments on another thread. [i][b]I actually have family and friends who work for HJISD. [/b][/i]They tell me things and I also see things for myself.

I do not think my comments are as "blind" and "uneducated" as you think they are.

You make good and valid points about this season's football team. But I am not just talking about this year's football team. I speak about all of the athletics at HJ over the past few years. IMO, things should be better overall and I personally think is the "attitude" and not the coaching.
[/quote]

Who are your family and friends that work for HJ????

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1134485" timestamp="1322588486"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=91960.msg1134365#msg1134365 date=1322581474]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=91960.msg1134355#msg1134355 date=1322580787]
That is who does show up.....the parents, and those who have a vested interest.  HJ had a pretty good following this year regardless of their season.  WOSGrad and[b] AAW like to use the Silsbee game[/b] as an example but, fail to mention that it was late in the season, on the road, and the first real cold front of the year.  So, yes, there was a poor outing for that game but, overall the crowds were pretty decent at games this year despite the record.

That is why it is bothersome to have someone say "they are just passing time".  There are too many people that it is a slap in the face to and is simply not an accurate assessment. 

I don't like the letter that was published in the BE and think it was inappropriate to publish such garbage.  Unfortunately, that is how the world works today....the media is looking to stir up anything negative because that is what sells.  I find it comical that people that don't even live in a community (or in this posts case in a nearby city) seem to have so many answers/opinions on what is or isn't going on.  Truth be told they know very little and that makes it even more troubling that they come on internet message boards and say things when they are not as informed as they think they are.
[/quote]

Well, in my case I wasn't just referring to the Silsbee game in my past comments on another thread. [i][b]I actually have family and friends who work for HJISD. [/b][/i]They tell me things and I also see things for myself.

I do not think my comments are as "blind" and "uneducated" as you think they are.

You make good and valid points about this season's football team. But I am not just talking about this year's football team. I speak about all of the athletics at HJ over the past few years. IMO, things should be better overall and I personally think is the "attitude" and not the coaching.
[/quote]

Who are your family and friends that work for HJ????
[/quote]

Check your pm's.

[quote name="speechless" post="1134327" timestamp="1322579107"]
I have said this before....you base a community's level of support by how many people show up to a week 9 road game at the end of a 1-9 season?  Seriously?

HJ excels in many other areas of school related activities.  If you want to see for yourself come look at the list of state champions on the statue in front of the gym....only a few of them are basketball.  I don't list them because I am not here to get into a pissing match about accomplishments.

[b]Bottom line, you don't live in the community so you have no idea what the level of support really is.  When you win, people show up...when you don't...they don't and that is true of any sport and any school.[/b]
[/quote]
That's funny because i remember when Vidor was 0-10 and 1-9 and We still had 3000+ fans in our stands and going to away games like houston and such. (2 hours away) That's called supporting a program. Which HJ obviously does not know how to do.

[quote name="speechless" post="1134649" timestamp="1322598706"]
How many people show up for Vidor basketball games the last 3 years?  and don't lie
[/quote]
Vidor basketball games. I'm not expert but i'd say an average of 300 to 500 a game for varsity. And if you wanna bring up baseball our stands have been packed 90% of our games the past 3 years. Any other questions?

Guest speechless
so 3K show up for a football game but 300 for a basketball game....you see my point now....does that mean Vidor only uses basketball to "pass the time" between football and baseball?

[quote name="speechless" post="1134649" timestamp="1322598706"]
How many people show up for Vidor basketball games the last 3 years?  and don't lie
[/quote]
Got to go to three bball games(VJH) last year(work sched. gets in the way most of the time). Got their after they had started and had to stand. Nowhere to sit.
Baseball stands always pretty full.

[quote name="speechless" post="1134659" timestamp="1322599317"]
so 3K show up for a football game but 300 for a basketball game....you see my point now....does that mean Vidor only uses basketball to "pass the time" between football and baseball?
[/quote]

How about the stands in a gym are much smaller and crowded than a football stadium?  300 is a lot of folks.  Vidor supports their kids.  As you have said, HJ doesn't support their football team.  Vidor had more people going to watch basketball in a smaller venue, than HJ did in a stadium that holds 3 times as much.  You're losing the argument, and HJ's purposes would be better served if you led the way for the fans...In a way you already are, but some folks aren't supportive.  Those people are usually the first to complain...

[quote name="elhector1" post="1134678" timestamp="1322600622"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=91960.msg1134659#msg1134659 date=1322599317]
[/quote]

How about the stands in a gym are much smaller and crowded than a football stadium?  300 is a lot of folks.  Vidor supports their kids.  As you have said, HJ doesn't support their football team.  Vidor had more people going to watch basketball in a smaller venue, than HJ did in a stadium that holds 3 times as much.  You're losing the argument, and HJ's purposes would be better served if you led the way for the fans...In a way you already are, but some folks aren't supportive.  Those people are usually the first to complain...
[/quote]
This!^^^^

[quote name="speechless" post="1134659" timestamp="1322599317"]
[/quote]

It doesn't matter about numbers man. We, Vidor, fill about 90% of our stands no matter what sport. Heck we even packed Lumberton visitor side one year when our soccer team made the playoffs. 3 k fill our football stadium and 300 to 500 fills our basketball court and so on and so forth. So no we do not "pass the time" between football and baseball. We enjoy and support all our sports no matter what there record is. I just wish HJ would do the same.

Guest speechless
Hmmmm.....I find that hard to believe that 300-500 fills the Vidor gymnasium as I have been there many times.  The side behind the benches would hold more than many small school gyms around this area.  The other side is smaller but, not by a whole lot.  I would venture to guess that Vidor's gymnasium holds between 2,500 and 3,000 people if totally full. 

You are flat out lying to me if you want me to believe that Vidor had that gym full at any point last season or the couple before that (post English era).

I am not knocking Vidor here....what I am saying is that just because people don't show up to a game doesn't mean there isn't community support....

[quote name="speechless" post="1134713" timestamp="1322602430"]
I believe it is even bigger than Silsbee's gym....at least on the home side.
[/quote]
Had to refresh my memory but this thread is supposed to be about the article in the BE. It appears that someone in HJ blames the coaching staff for their not so good seasons in football.
Thoughts?

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1134718" timestamp="1322602841"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=91960.msg1134713#msg1134713 date=1322602430]
[/quote]
Had to refresh my memory but this thread is supposed to be about the article in the BE. It appears that someone in HJ blames the coaching staff for their not so good seasons in football.
Thoughts?
[/quote]
Nope, it was the author of the Letter to the Editor, that suggest HJ needs a new Head Football Coach.  I believe he lives in Beaumont?

the rest of us took off on a tangent about support and lack of support, Basketball vs Football, and gym sizes.

[quote name="86hawk" post="1134726" timestamp="1322603361"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=91960.msg1134718#msg1134718 date=1322602841]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=91960.msg1134713#msg1134713 date=1322602430]
[/quote]
Thoughts?
[/quote]
Nope, it was the author of the Letter to the Editor, that suggest HJ needs a new Head Football Coach.  I believe he lives in Beaumont?

the rest of us took off on a tangent about support and lack of support, Basketball vs Football, and gym sizes.
[/quote]
Yeah I know, I sorda joined in and realized we got way off topic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder