20-4A MVP

daddy23

District 20-4A MVP

Who do you think should be in consideration?  And if you could vote and had to pick a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place vote, who would it be.

I throw out a few names, but I really would like to know who I have missed and would love the board’s feedback.

Lumberton, LCM and Central:

Considering how the season went for these 3 teams, I did not come up with any individuals from these teams to discuss.

Livingston:

Devonte “Bull” Mays.  Consider this the Peyton Manning argument.  Just look at how this team performed with him in the lineup.  I seem to remember that going into Week 3, they were the heavy favorite to win 20-4A.  And they started off very strong against PNG!  After Mays goes down, Livingston was never quite the same.

Nederland:

Naturally you have to look really hard at the District Champs for the MVP.  But offensively, do you look at Carson Raines at QB or Troy Benjamin at RB.  It seems to me that this team won the district based on the Defensive Play, particularly the Defensive Line and Linebackers.  I just do not know how to pick 1 person out of this group.  So oddly enough, I do not think that the Undefeated District Champs would have someone in the Top 3 of voting.

Ozen:

Jakobi Jones.  This guy is explosive.  I do not know where to get perfect stats, but I would guess 1500+ yards (and likely the District Rushing leader).  He also had 17+ TDs.  He team is still alive and he is still a Huge Part of the Team.  It would be hard to argue with any votes for Jones.

Trey Green:  The QB that led this Ozen team to hold on and make the playoffs in the last week of the season.  I believe he missed some time early in the year, but he still had 1500+ yards passing and 16 TDs.  They upset Barbers Hill behind an amazing performance by Green at QB.  He can make throws short and deep.  And his WRs had some drops all year or his stats could have been much better.

PNG:

Chase Bertrand.  He may not have had quite as many yards as Jones, but his 1300 or so yards is still impressive.  And I believe he led the District in scoring with 24 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs.  He was a dual threat with 26 catches.

Travis Miller.  At QB, Miller led the District in Attempts, Completions, Yards (2200+), and TDs (18).  He did throw 9 picks.  However he led arguably the most explosive offensive team in the District to a 2nd place finish.

Jayce Nelson.  1000 receiving yards and 10 TDs!  And when he is playing, he certainly gives the “Best Player on the Field” aura.  He made big play after big play with his 60 catches. 

Vidor:

Offensively, Vidor features a set of RBs that were very impressive.  Brentyn Clark was a bruiser who tallied about 1000 yards up the middle.  All of them very hard yards and I think 12 TDs.  David Smallwood was critical for the Pirates down the stretch as he neared the 1000 yard mark with 8 TDs.  David Bolinger was the most explosive player for Vidor before his foot injury early in the season.  All of these guys deserve mention.

Montana Quirante.  What this guy did this year was special.  He started the season as a Full Time Middle Linebacker and a Part-Time Quarterback.  He quickly showed a lot of poise at the QB position to go along with the occasional spectacular run.  And arm injury in the Nederland game cost him most of the 2nd half and 2 more weeks of not being at full strength.  I am not sure of the Defensive Stats, but I believe he led the Pirate team in Tackles.  He certainly was a Key Presence in the Pirate Defense. 

Offensively, his numbers grew as the weeks went by.  I believe he had 20 TDs, including 3 TDs in both of the 1st two rounds of the Playoffs (although one of those TDs was a Pick 6).  I thought he also had 2 passing TDs along with about 400 passing yards.  But he had about 1000 yards rushing to go along with his rushing TDs.

I guess considering that Quirante did so much damage on both sides of the ball and considering that he led a team that was picked to only wind a couple District games to 2 playoff victories (so far), I would have to give him the nod as the favorite. 

What do you think?

MVP                Montana Quirante    Vidor          Easy pick, should be unanimous pick

Def MVP          Corbin Carr            Nederland

Off MVP          Jayce Nelson          PNG
                    Trey Green            Ozen

[quote name="football04" post="1123605" timestamp="1321722103"]
MVP                Montana Quirante    Vidor

[b]Def MVP          Corbin Carr            Nederland[/b]

[/quote]

No doubter right there, I wonder how many sacks and tackles for a loss he has?

[quote name="football04" post="1123605" timestamp="1321722103"]
MVP                Montana Quirante    Vidor          Easy pick, should be unanimous pick

Def MVP          Corbin Carr            Nederland

[/quote]

ditto this

daddy23, no doubt who the MVP for 20-4A is, biased opinion or not. One series of plays: Montana drives Vidor @ QB to the Montgomery 40 where it's 4th down and four. We go into the rugby punt formation with Montana back to do the punting. He punts the ball to Montgomery's four yard line. Montgomery, who has learned a new found respect for Vidor's defense, line up in the shotgun, QB runs for his life to right, throws and Montana intercepts for a pick 6. Again, did he also march at halftime? And, it looks like we had plenty of quality H2O on the sidelines.

Trey Green:  The QB that led this Ozen team to hold on and make the playoffs in the last week of the season.  I believe he missed some time early in the year, but he still had 1500+ yards passing and 16 TDs.  They upset Barbers Hill behind an amazing performance by Green at QB.  He can make throws short and deep.  And his WRs had some drops all year or his stats could have been much better.

Playoff wins over schools with a combines 20-1 record

[quote name="mypooh" post="1124938" timestamp="1321757831"]

[/quote]

20-4A Offensive Player of the Year. Nothing against Trey, he's a good kid, but Montana plays both ways and is also our leading tackler. IMO, hard to argue against Trey's stats at QB and both are LEADING their respective teams in the playoffs. Ain't this fun!!!!

[quote name="robanadana" post="1124950" timestamp="1321758241"]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=91868.msg1124938#msg1124938 date=1321757831]

[/quote]

20-4A Offensive Player of the Year. Nothing against Trey, he's a good kid, but Montana plays both ways and is also our leading tackler. IMO, hard to argue against Trey's stats at QB and both are LEADING their respective teams in the playoffs. Ain't this fun!!!!
[/quote]

U should of seen what thy looked like without Trey in there. Period 2-8

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298