6 man football

Cardphan

I will say the same thing that I said two years ago when the Chester ISD opted to do the same...kudos to them (and to Coach Jones) as they have preserved football in High Island.  My understanding is that the same difficulties that befell Coach Jones would have recurred for the next several years in High Island...the population is simply dropping too much.

And with Chester dropping before them and Orange Community Christian starting a 6 man program (as well as a number of Houston area having programs) the travel that would have made such a move difficult for economic reasons won't be so bad.

[quote name="wildcats35" post="1113788" timestamp="1321069983"]
I think that is good idea....IS HI going to get into a district at realignment or play independent for the next two years?  IS their head coach going to stay in HI or go down the road?  He might not want to coach sixman...some coaches are think their too good to coach sixman.
[/quote]

I imagine that the reason that the High Island ISD took action on this so quickly was so that they could declare to the UIL that they are opting for 6 man and could be included in a UIL district.

As for Coach Jones, I guess we will not really know the answer for a while.  However, from what I know of Coach Jones, he is not a quitter and will look on this as a challenge to meet.

• 4 weeks later...
I had a chance to talk to Coach Jones about High Island's move to 6 man and get a little more detail.  About a month ago, Coach Jones made a presentation to the High Island ISD School Board urging them to vote to allow High Island to petition the UIL to begin 6 man play in the 2012-2013 school year.  It was upon that recommendation that the school board unanimously voted in favor of moving to 6man football.

After getting this approval, Coach Jones sent the application to be designated as a 6 man team to the UIL and received approval from the UIL a couple of days later.  Thus, in February when the UIL comes out, High Island will be placed into a 6man UIL district.

And for the question that was asked earlier, Coach Jones fully intends to be the coach of that team when they begin play in 2012.  He repeatedly expressed how proud of and impressed he was with his guys who never gave up despite every time being outnumbered in total players by at least a 2-1 ratio.

While we hate to loose another districk foes I feel this is the right move for HI. Evadale will go down as HI last 11 man game, but even in HI's loss I can say that I never saw any quit in them! If you were not at that game you could not know that it looked like the Cards would call the game at the end of the 3rd quarter as they were down to 9 players left. They had already been playing with 10 during parts of the 3rd quarter. As the coaches went out to attend to the fallen Cardinal player, it looked like Coach Jones and Coach Williams were going to agree to end the game. I have a picture of the Cards laying on the field and they were gased. Iron Man football less a couple even. But the Cardinal player did not want to stop. So the decision was made to go 9 on 9 for the final quarter with a running clock.

Those are the kind of young men that I am sure Coach Jones wants to come back and coach! Who wouldn't! I wish HI much success and hope that more people will take the opportunity to watch this exciting brand of football. It takes some getting used to at first. It is seems more like Arena Football than what most of us are used to, but it is exciting from start to finish, that is for sure.

Just know that from the Rebel Nation we always enjoyed playing the Cardinals, (except for the mesquitos, still don't know how you folks do it down there with those things), and I for one will be very interested to see how things progress for you as you embark on this new adventure. Good luck and God's Speed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder