Vidor vs. Port Neches-Groves Game Thread/PN-G wins!!

WOSgrad

Great game lived up to the hype, looks like both overated defenses had their hands full tonite, ozen hung 41 on the defense of nederland. Congrats to the ned bulldogs,2011 outright district champs! Don't ease up on lcm! Play like you have something to prove! Let's get ready for the playoffs!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1098443" timestamp="1319860574"]
Alright, the dust is settled and now it's time to give some props to both teams.

I have got to hand it to Vidor. I walked into this game thinking Vidor was overrated and that PN-G was going to prove it. Vidor's defense seemed almost too motivated in the first quarter; they kept having off sides and pass interference penalties, and it's obvious that they weren't controlling themselves very well. In the second quarter, it looked like Mathews had gotten them to calm down and there weren't as many penalties, but Vidor started giving up long runs and even a two point conversion. After the half, Vidor looked better, but they came out of the inflatable skull looking flat and demoralized. At that point, I was starting to think the game was over, and another Indian touchdown along with a goose egg on Vidor's side of the board at the end of the third affirmed that notion. Through the third quarter, it was looking like I was right and Vidor really was overrated.

The fourth quarter proved me wrong.

When Vidor switched quarterbacks and finally started having success in the air, I started getting worried. It was obvious that the momentum was shifting and the Pirates had some wind in their sails (no pun intended). When the Pirates brought in that two point conversion to make the score 22-15, I just about had a heart attack and I'm pretty sure I did have one on that last personal foul penalty against the Indians. Our defense seemed to be crumbling in frustration towards the end of the game, and for a moment I thought I'd be eating crow with this post. Vidor has the ability to score quickly and take advantage of what defenses give them when they knuckle down and focus. No team should overlook them. Good luck Pirates and go beat Livingston.

The Indians had a great game for the first three quarters. I don't think anyone expected to be up 15-0 at the half and 22-0 at the end of the third. That's a real testament to the improvements our defense has made since last year. After the Ozen, LC-M and Vidor games, I think it's obvious at this point that the Indian defense is once again a force to be reckoned with in District 20-4A, providing that they can play consistently. Now go wrap up district and beat Central. I want to catch another PN-G game at some point this year and I won't be home again until Thanksgiving.

Scalp 'em!
[/quote]
Good post and good luck to the Indians next week and beyond.

Congrats to PNG!  Ya'll outplayed us tonight.  And in fact crushed us for 3 quarters. 

But Vidor is not done!  Take away the Turnovers and it could have gone the other way.  I am not making excuses for tonight, but I am just pointing out that we can still win some more games this season. 

I think 20-4A could win a lot of playoff games this year!

[quote name="daddy23" post="1098510" timestamp="1319862060"]
Congrats to PNG!  Ya'll outplayed us tonight.  And in fact crushed us for 3 quarters. 

But Vidor is not done!  Take away the Turnovers and it could have gone the other way.  I am not making excuses for tonight, but I am just pointing out that we can still win some more games this season. 

I think 20-4A could win a lot of playoff games this year!
[/quote]
I hope you are right. Good luck next week(it helps PNG) and good luck in the playoffs!

Guys we played a quality team tonight that is full of bright spots.I believe that Vidor will always play you to the final whistle. I was impressed by the pirates pursuit. I believe you Vidor fans will see what we have been saying about Jayce Nelson being a monster of a reciever. Now Vidor go on and win next week and have a nice playoff run This Indian will support you the rest of the way........;..;.....BEST OF LUCK

Port Neches-Groves 22, Vidor 15 - Final

Vidor Overall: 7-2  District: 4-2
Port Neches-Groves Overall: 6-3  District: 4-2
Boxscore

1 2 3 4 Total
Vidor    0 0 0 15 15
PN-G    7 8 7 0 22

Scoring summary
PNG -- Chase Bertrand 3-yard run (Angel Valencia kick), 03:38, 1st.
PNG -- Chase Bertrand 1-yard run (Tyler LaCour from Travis Miller), 03:03, 2nd.
PNG -- Jayce Nelson 4-yard pass from Tyler LaCour (Angel Valencia kick), 02:53, 3rd.
VID -- Brentyn Clark 1-yard run (kick), 07:34, 4th.
VID -- Austin Powell 1-yard run (Bryce Cooper run), 03:36, 4th.

Team Stats
                    Vidor        PN-G
Total yards      330          282
First downs      20            18
Rushes/Yds    41/221      32/183
Average rush  5.39          5.72
Comp/Atts    6/16/0      12/18/0
Pass yards      109            99
Comp pct      37.5        66.67
Punts              3              3
Punting Yards 125            88
Punting Avg  41.67          29.33
Fumbles/Lost  3/3            1/0
Penalties-yards 8-60        6-45

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1098562" timestamp="1319863846"]
Never thought I would see the day that Vidor would have more passing yards than PN-G.
[/quote]

The fumbles sunk Vidor's pirate ship.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1098443" timestamp="1319860574"]
Alright, the dust is settled and now it's time to give some props to both teams.

I have got to hand it to Vidor. I walked into this game thinking Vidor was overrated and that PN-G was going to prove it. Vidor's defense seemed almost too motivated in the first quarter; they kept having off sides and pass interference penalties, and it's obvious that they weren't controlling themselves very well. In the second quarter, it looked like Mathews had gotten them to calm down and there weren't as many penalties, but Vidor started giving up long runs and even a two point conversion. After the half, Vidor looked better, but they came out of the inflatable skull looking flat and demoralized. At that point, I was starting to think the game was over, and another Indian touchdown along with a goose egg on Vidor's side of the board at the end of the third affirmed that notion. Through the third quarter, it was looking like I was right and Vidor really was overrated.

The fourth quarter proved me wrong.

When Vidor switched quarterbacks and finally started having success in the air, I started getting worried. It was obvious that the momentum was shifting and the Pirates had some wind in their sails (no pun intended). When the Pirates brought in that two point conversion to make the score 22-15, I just about had a heart attack and I'm pretty sure I did have one on that last personal foul penalty against the Indians. Our defense seemed to be crumbling in frustration towards the end of the game, and for a moment I thought I'd be eating crow with this post. Vidor has the ability to score quickly and take advantage of what defenses give them when they knuckle down and focus. No team should overlook them. Good luck Pirates and go beat Livingston.

The Indians had a great game for the first three quarters. I don't think anyone expected to be up 15-0 at the half and 22-0 at the end of the third. That's a real testament to the improvements our defense has made since last year. After the Ozen, LC-M and Vidor games, I think it's obvious at this point that the Indian defense is once again a force to be reckoned with in District 20-4A, providing that they can play consistently. Now go wrap up district and beat Central. I want to catch another PN-G game at some point this year and I won't be home again until Thanksgiving.

Scalp 'em!
[/quote]

Good post and couldn't agree more. Congratulations to the Indians on a big win. No turnovers, well coached. We killed two good drives ourselves fumbling away the ball. Great ballgame. Glad to see the Pirates put up some fight in the fourth and nearly take it back. Again, great ballgame.

Good game Indians. You beat our tails.  Hats off to you.  We finally decide to get off the bus in the fourth quarter.  PNG,  Hope you guys have a long playoff run this year.  You true "Pirate Fans"  that ran out of the stadium after PNG went up 22-0.  You missed a pretty good game. 

To the Pirate O-Line:  You guys are still the engine that makes this team run.  You guys did a great job in the fourth trying to keep PNG off of AP so he could get those passes off.  Everyone knew we were throwing and you guys did a great job giving him just enough time.  AP took some pretty hard shots as he was letting the ball go but keep picking himself up off the turf and playing on.  Good job 16 and Great job by the men up front.  I still say you guys up front are the "MVPs" of this team.

Being a Pirate fan, I want to say great job Indians. Yall were well prepared and played hard.  Good luck in the playoffs.  The only thing I noticed being not from pn-g was that the Arvie kid does need more carries, he definetly a force.

Pirates great job, way to fight to the end.  In my opinion the two fumbles inside the indian territory really hurt us, also the obvious no call on the horse collar didn't help. That was definetly a game changing no call, and for the same ref to call it for the indians was crazy, but we halve to fight through those things and find ways to win.  Great job overall last night though. I hope if we indeed are in the playoffs right now. Next week we let our team heal. It looks like quirante is hurt along with bollinger. Good luck

I was in attendance and this games was a great one.  Started off with PN-G looking as if they were going to run away with this early.  This was highligted by 2 plays both made by PN-G. One was the pass breakup by by the PN-G defender as he closed in on the ball to bat the pass down from the Vidor receiver which was a for sure TD.  Somebody please tell me this kid's name.  The other is the catch on double coverage by #4 from PN-G.  He made the Vidor Defenders look ridiculous.  He then almost got away from their Tackle as well!  This kid is a talent. 

Second half, PN-G still had some success, but it seem that the playcalling started becoming suspect, along with stupid penalties.  This eas capped off when the play was dead and the ref walked by the PN-G d-linemen and threw a flag...  I don't know what it was for, but it did keep the Vidor drive alive.  PN-G got away from the passing game and went to the run. Vidor came alive in the 4th , just like bandkid said' by canging QB's and moved the ball through the air.  Their defense came alive as well. Vidor had a chance to win the game in the end.  It was unfortunate that their comeback fell short. Both teams left it on the field and from what I've seen, Neither team will not lose in the first round of the playoffs.  Thanks for the PN-G nation and Biaplayer for showing this lone Jag some love.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1098809" timestamp="1319898049"]
I've seen, Neither team will not lose in the first round of the playoffs.  Thanks for the PN-G nation and Biaplayer for showing this lone Jag some love.
[/quote]

This coming from the person who preached Central going deep early in the season.  What exactly are you drawing this conclusion on?  You have not seen BH play this year.  Who exactly in 19-4A have you seen play this year?  Put the Koolaid down and stop making irrational predictions.  I would never do that!!!!!  ;) ;) ;)

On topic, sounds like a good game.  Vidor brings it ever night, regardless how good or bad they may be.  PNG is well coached and always has a good offense.  Good win PNG, now come see some Eagles.

Soulja, that DB was # 8 Chase Romero. Speed! Same kid that took a KO against Crosby 102 yards and picked off Green of Ozen at the five and took it 95 yards for a TD.

What Horsecollar are you refering to? Do you even know the horse collar rule? The play in question was shown on replay. Tackle was made from the side. NDN pulled him down by the pads, yes, but not from the back and not backwards. That is not a horsecollar. And Vidor was never called for a horsecollar. The only Personal Foul on Vidor was the late hit OB, Which was legit. If anyone should be upset about the officiating or lack there of it should be PNG. Nelson was held on every pass thrown his way and got only two calls. Got tackled on one play while the ball was in the air, but no call (Vidor was flagged for being offsides on the play). OF course our coach didn't jump around on the field like an idiot for the next ten minutes about it. Mathews really looked like a fool out there for a while. He does himself no favors acting like that with the officials. You get calls and you don't, make your argument (as heated as you want)then move on!!!

In response to Coach Welch, yes he is a great coach and we lucky have him.  I also think pn-g has a linebacker coach and line coach that has improved your program that recieved their first coaching jobs in vidor under the direction of mathews. I'm glad their improving your program. 
I agree the penalty on vidor was called as late hit could have gone as horse collar though.  clark was pulled down backwards and was not called. I guess we can agree to disagree.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1098562" timestamp="1319863846"]
Never thought I would see the day that Vidor would have more passing yards than PN-G.
[/quote]Secondary for Vidor is tuff phatmack19 and the great thing is we have 10 coming back next year.We lose Austin Powell #16 and thats it

[quote name="pirate68" post="1099065" timestamp="1319914081"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=90597.msg1098562#msg1098562 date=1319863846]
[/quote]Secondary for Vidor is tuff phatmack19 and the great thing is we have 10 coming back next year.We lose Austin Powell #16 and thats it
[/quote]Several dropped passes by Chipman and Nelson which is not normal.....Have to say that #8 did all he could against Nelson. On one of the interference calls he actually held him from running because he knew he was burnt....it would have been a touch down for Nelson, as it turned out, I hink we ended up with nothing. So he knew he was beat and grabbed him which all good defensive secondary would do and save 6 ponits for his team. Sometimes a penalty against you gives you a second chance....to me it was a smart play

[quote name="badndn" post="1098944" timestamp="1319906432"]
The Vidor O Line has been good for several years. Dan Welch was a great O Line coach for PNG and has worked wonders for Vidor. I think it is no suprise that Vidors rise the past three years corrolates with the hiring of Welch.
[/quote]

I agree,  Coach Welch has done a great job with sitting the boys down and really teaching them how to play the position.  The kids think he is great.  Thankfully he is doing better and better everyday from his heart attack a couple of weeks ago.  He is a good man.  These boys playing the line this year are a special group of kids.

I will say this.... Great game.... not the ending I was looking for but its over and done with.... all the what ifs and buts can be debated all week long the fact remains PNG 22 VIDOR 15... With that said.... both teams are in the playoffs.... the only thing left is to decide the 4th team WE WILL ALL PULL FOR COME ROUND 1!!!

Congrats Indians..... Keep your heads up Pirates......

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder