Prewitt is getting screwed around

I wish people from here would understand the difference between D1 and HS athletics. These guys have competed for months. If anyone was at the game (about 3-4,000 actually went) you would know how bad the conditions were to throw in. It became a running game with the far supperior line winning. Prewitt is not getting screwed. This isn't little league, in college everyone doesn't get equal playing time. There aren't many D1 coaches you'll find that will find time to get 3 QB's in a game so if anything Woodard was trying to be fair. Lamar wins 58-0, be happy for the program and stop being negative.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1050002" timestamp="1315256796"]
I wish people from here would understand the difference between D1 and HS athletics. These guys have competed for months. If anyone was at the game (about 3-4,000 actually went) you would know how bad the conditions were to throw in. It became a running game with the far supperior line winning. Prewitt is not getting screwed. This isn't little league, in college everyone doesn't get equal playing time. There aren't many D1 coaches you'll find that will find time to get 3 QB's in a game so if anything Woodard was trying to be fair. Lamar wins 58-0, be happy for the program and stop being negative.
[/quote]

AMEN!!!!!

We don't see everything that the coaches see. I don't think politics have anything to do with it, they are going to start who they believe needs to start. I personally wouldn't start Bevil, but I'm not the expert and I doubt anyone else on here has been a College Football head coach. So Woodard is classless b/c Prewitt only threw the ball 2 times when Lamar was up by 40+ points (I have no idea what the score was when he went in but it's my understanding that he went in 3rd so I figured it was late 3rd or 4th). I would say Woodard showed some class by running the ball and keeping the clock running and not throwing the ball.

[/quote]

Good post but if that happen the board would dry up.

I will give you my two cents........it does matter to me who is QB, as long as LU wins the games they are suppose to win, have a chance to win the others and get better each year.

With that being said, I would say that Coach Woodard and his staff will make the decision based on what gives them the best chance to win!!!

[/quote]

Good lord, people's posts on this website get me so pissed off I want to blow a head gasket.  The ignorance spouted out is almost unbearable.  Puddin is 100% correct.  Sgt Rey is on here spouting off but, judging by his posts he hasn't seen a game yet.  So, I will gladly recap the situation:
[list]
[*]Woodard recruited his boy Bevil
Bevil had an outstanding game against McNeese.
Prewitt was a lowly walk on receiver.
Prewitt apparently worked his tail off and was moved to QB, probably because of injuries to othe QB's.
Prewitt surprisingly moved up the depth charts, why?  Perhaps because he earned it?
Bevil's play got worse and worse during the year.
The worse Bevil played the more hurt he became.
Finally he was too "hurt" to play.
When Prewitt got the opportunity he performed well.  Arguably, much better than Bevil.  Look at their stats, Prewitt completed 62% of his passes compared to Bevil's 54%.  Prewitt made better decisions and had fewer turnovers.  When Bevil was healthy, Woodard moved him to receiver and left Prewitt as the starting qb.[/list]

Ok, are we all caught up now?  Now, in the off season we signed JJ.  There are a couple of JJ lovers (AggiesAreWe...why is someone with a screen name of AggiesAreWe even allowed to comment on this site?) on this site who think that since JJ was highly recruited he should be ordained the QB.  Problem is, a QB is a QB because he can THROW THE FOOTBALL.  If you want someone that can run, stick him at running back.  Also, Prewitt can run and throw.  Now, it appears that he is not the runner JJ is but he is a much better scrambler than your average qb.  So, what has happened?  Prewitt earned the starting position last year, did a great job, and he is rewarded during the off season by becoming the third stringer used in deep scrub time?!!!!  You are damn right, he is being screwed!!!  And, it will lose fans!!!!!!!!!!!  By the way, it is lose not loose. AND IT HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH LAST WEEKS GAME OTHER THAN THE FACT OF HOW PREWITT WAS TOTALLY DOGGED BY WOODARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/list]

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1050319" timestamp="1315278822"]
just curious..how many of you  actually went to the game?

or did you stay home and support your Aggies?
[/quote]

My wife and two teenage sons went to the game (we are season ticket holders). I was in Vidor doing the play-by-play for KFDM/CW broadcast of the BC/Vidor game. I think I came out the best on this one. (did not get wet!)

What happened last year is  not enough reason to name someone the starter this year.  Neither is how highly one was recruited or especially the performance in one game with the weather conditions that were present saturday night.  The starter this year should be picked by weighing all of these along with a large consideration to performances in practices and scrimmages.

[list][quote name="cardinal" post="1051088" timestamp="1315365552"]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=87738.msg1050002#msg1050002 date=1315256796]
[/quote]

Good lord, people's posts on this website get me so pissed off I want to blow a head gasket. The ignorance spouted out is almost unbearable.  [b]You shouldn't guys on a message board ever get you so upset. You will lose a lot of sleep over it if you do.[/b]Puddin is 100% correct.  Sgt Rey is on here spouting off but, judging by his posts he hasn't seen a game yet.  So, I will gladly recap the situation:
[list]
[*]Woodard recruited his boy Bevil
Bevil had an outstanding game against McNeese.[b]Bevil started with 3 outstanding games before the SFA game started a bad downward spiral.[/b]
Prewitt was a lowly walk on receiver.
Prewitt apparently worked his tail off and was moved to QB, probably because of injuries to othe QB's.
Prewitt surprisingly moved up the depth charts, why?  Perhaps because he earned it?
Bevil's play got worse and worse during the year.
The worse Bevil played the more hurt he became.[b]Bevil could barely walk before games. But was trying to suck it up to help the team win. Finally, Coach Woodard told him he wasn't good enough to still play with the injury and to rest it. Thats when Prewitt comes in.[/b]
Finally he was too "hurt" to play.
When Prewitt got the opportunity he performed well.  Arguably, much better than Bevil.  Look at their stats, Prewitt completed 62% of his passes compared to Bevil's 54%.  Prewitt made better decisions and had fewer turnovers.  [b]Prewitt was much better actually. Much more efficient. Had 2 great games and then a mediocre game against Panhandle St.[/b]When Bevil was healthy, Woodard moved him to receiver and left Prewitt as the starting qb.[/list]

Ok, are we all caught up now?  Now, in the off season we signed JJ.  There are a couple of JJ lovers (AggiesAreWe...why is someone with a screen name of AggiesAreWe even allowed to comment on this site?[b]Because this is typically a high school site. Which he is an alum of a local highschool. And this is a fan site. I didn't know people are not allowed to be fans of their local uniersity even though they went to a different one?[/b]) on this site who think that since JJ was highly recruited he should be ordained the QB.  Problem is, a QB is a QB because he can THROW THE FOOTBALL[b]Not necessarily. Look at recent national champs, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, and Vince Young. All were far better runners than throwers.[/b].  If you want someone that can run, stick him at running back[b]Or put him at QB with a good running back and make your offense more dynamic.[/b].  Also, Prewitt can run and throw[b]So should we put him at running back?[/b].  Now, it appears that he is not the runner JJ is but he is a much better scrambler than your average qb[b]Prewitt is the worst scrambler of the 3 potential QBs. I am not a JJ fan and haven't been impressed by his accuracy, but his athletic ability definitely stands out. If we work with him on his accuracy then he will be a great one. Right now he just needs to get experience where he can get it like Saturday.[/b].  So, what has happened?  Prewitt earned the starting position last year, did a great job, and he is rewarded during the off season by becoming the third stringer used in deep scrub time?!!!![b]No he earned the job last year. Then in spring and fall practices lost his job to Bevil who outplayed him during that time.[/b]  You are dang right, he is being screwed!!! And, it will lose fans!!!!!!!!!!![b]So by starting who he thinks is the better qb fans wont come? Woodard should be worried about winning. Thats what will bring in fans and that is what he did Saturday.[/b]  By the way, it is lose not loose. AND IT HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH LAST WEEKS GAME OTHER THAN THE FACT OF HOW PREWITT WAS TOTALLY DOGGED BY WOODARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!![b]Holy caps lock, Batman![/b]
[/list]
[/quote]
I like Doug a lot. Nice, funny guy. But in an open QB competition he got beat out, plain and simple. Last year he played great but wasn't as impressive in the spring and fall practice. Bevil got his confidence back and got healthy and won back the job. The competition is still open this week. If he outperforms the others than he will start Saturday. Woodard doesn't hate him or have some vengance against him. Heck, he gave him a scholarship this year. Bevil has just played better. JJ and Prewitt were both listed at 2nd on the depth chart Saturday, they played JJ first to get him experience. Prewitt is tough and will keep fighting and pushing the others for the job. I, in no way, think he has started his last game as a Cardinal. He will work his butt off to stay on the field.

[quote name="Rizon" post="1050325" timestamp="1315279527"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=87738.msg1050319#msg1050319 date=1315278822]
just curious..how many of you  actually went to the game?

or did you stay home and support your Aggies?
[/quote]

Didn't Lamar play on Saturday and A&M play on Sunday? I didn't make the Lamar game nor did I watch the A&M game.
[/quote]

They had to get their white jammies on and practice hissing Saturday

I just love this, Lamar whacks a team in its season opener and the most posts made the week afterward are about 1) a running back who quit the team and 2) that the head coach has it in for one of the QB's competing for the starting job.  I know that it is common place these days to be critical of the guy in charge just for the sake of sounding intelligent.  However, trying to pile on a coach and claim that a decision as to the playing time of one of three QB's will lose fans following a 58-0 victory kind shows that your keyboard is in overdrive when your brain is in neutral.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1051174" timestamp="1315397885"]
I just love this, Lamar whacks a team in its season opener and the most posts made the week afterward are about 1) a running back who quit the team and 2) that the head coach has it in for one of the QB's competing for the starting job.  I know that it is common place these days to be critical of the guy in charge just for the sake of sounding intelligent.  However, trying to pile on a coach and claim that a decision as to the playing time of one of three QB's will lose fans following a 58-0 victory kind shows that your keyboard is in overdrive when your brain is in neutral.
[/quote]the good thing is...at least people are talking about lamar football...i think it's awesome. go check out the boards for lsu, alabama, etc... i guarantee there are some heated conversations going on there, with a lot of second guessing the coaches too...it means that lamar football is on it's way to relevance if you ask me...it's better than apathy. :D

[quote name="spoonbill" post="1051218" timestamp="1315403323"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=87738.msg1051174#msg1051174 date=1315397885]
[/quote]the good thing is...at least people are talking about lamar football...i think it's awesome. go check out the boards for lsu, alabama, etc... i guarantee there are some heated conversations going on there, with a lot of second guessing the coaches too...it means that lamar football is on it's way to relevance if you ask me...it's better than apathy. :D
[/quote]

Well, I'm not saying to never question Coach Woodard.  However, to engage in some pretty petty complaints following a blowout victory doesn't show a whole lot of support for a program that was dormant for over 20 years.  Now if we're taking a few weeks down the road and LU is something like 1-3 with the same lineup, I can understand the criticism.  But for someone to come in at this point and claim that Coach Woodard is making decisions that are costing LU fans is ridiculous!

While I certainly won't prevent someone from doing posting such statements, I will certainly question their thought process in doing so.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1051174" timestamp="1315397885"]
I just love this, Lamar whacks a team in its season opener and the most posts made the week afterward are about 1) a running back who quit the team and 2) that the head coach has it in for one of the QB's competing for the starting job.  I know that it is common place these days to be critical of the guy in charge just for the sake of sounding intelligent.  However, trying to pile on a coach and claim that a decision as to the playing time of one of three QB's will lose fans following a 58-0 victory kind [b]shows that your keyboard is in overdrive when your brain is in neutral[/b].
[/quote]
They all must be car salesmen.  :-X

I never thought Bevil should've even been in the discussion at QB this year. He had way too many turnovers last year at QB. I felt going into this season the competition should've been between Prewitt and JJ. Maybe Prewitt regressed during the spring and fall drills. I know he was  hurt the last two weeks leading up to the opener, and maybe that's why he was relegated to 3rd string. Like it or not JJ will be the starter by mid-season. You don't get a guy to transfer from a FBS school to be a back-up QB.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1051294" timestamp="1315410220"]
I never thought Bevil should've even been in the discussion at QB this year. He had way too many turnovers last year at QB. I felt going into this season the competition should've been between Prewitt and JJ. Maybe Prewitt regressed during the spring and fall drills. I know he was  hurt the last two weeks leading up to the opener, and maybe that's why he was relegated to 3rd string. Like it or not JJ will be the starter by mid-season. You don't get a guy to transfer from a FBS school to be a back-up QB.
[/quote]

So using your logic, you stick with the FBS transfer no matter what?  Just wondering?

WOSgrad whytalk about a game where the opposition isn't compatible with most High School football teams in the area? Of you actually look at the entire situation you will realize there is a trend here of players who have performed well in games and are now not being put back on the bench!! One player chose not to continue playing football and the other is hanging around but he is on scholarship so that's a smart move. I will bet that if some players that contribute this year do not earn scholarships they will be on the road too.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine