WO-S and its 3rd down plays

skipper

:-[ >:( >:( >:( >:( i just cant to the life of me understand(WHY) someone on the coaching staff there at wo-s is calling for FGs on 3rd down and very short  hafe a link of the chain whats going on is this a new thing in high school football are is it that someone has NO FAITH in ther team to me that stinks and i feel for the kids there that work ther tails off :-X

[quote name="skipper" post="1048612" timestamp="1315072626"]
:-[ >:( >:( >:( >:( i just cant to the life of me understand(WHY) someone on the coaching staff there at wo-s is calling for FGs on 3rd down and very short  hafe a link of the chain whats going on is this a new thing in high school football are is it that someone has NO FAITH in ther team to me that stinks and i feel for the kids there that work ther tails off :-X
[/quote]

Get a clue skip......it looks like you are the president of the "No Faith" club. 

It was 3rd and 5 in the first over time and wos lined up for a fg. The only reason I could think of they did it is because they wanted to keep the ball in the middle of the field and not have to kick from the left or right of the field. Bad call imo especially when you have a back like Lindsey on your team.

[quote name="bdm06" post="1048639" timestamp="1315075074"]
It was 3rd and 5 in the first over time and wos lined up for a fg. The only reason I could think of they did it is because they wanted to keep the ball in the middle of the field and not have to kick from the left or right of the field. Bad call imo especially when you have a back like Lindsey on your team.
[/quote]

I see. Also, sometimes you try a FG on 3rd down just so that if you have a bad snap or hold, if you do not get the kick off, you have another down to try.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1048699" timestamp="1315080429"]
He was just trying to win the game.  It was close.....just didnt pan out. If it was made the coach would have been a hero.
[/quote]Exactly right, bad snap or hold you get a second chance. The way he was kicking I would have bet the house on him making it. Danged if you danged if you dont kinda deal.

Seems to be the correct call from what I have read.... your opposition fails to score on first possession.... you have the ball within FG range.... so instead of running another play and getting a penalty that pushes you out of range, or a fumble....  you take the FG try on 3rd down so that if you have a mis handle of the football you still have another shot at the FG or a hail mary for the endzone if its a bad lose on the snap..... I see no problem with this call at all.... other than the kick was missed....

just my opinion...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1049071" timestamp="1315112976"]
Seems to be the correct call from what I have read.... your opposition fails to score on first possession.... you have the ball within FG range.... so instead of running another play and getting a penalty that pushes you out of range, or a fumble....  you take the FG try on 3rd down so that if you have a mis handle of the football you still have another shot at the FG or a hail mary for the endzone if its a bad lose on the snap..... I see no problem with this call at all.... other than the kick was missed....

just my opinion...
[/quote]

Even though their kicking game is much improved it's never been their strong point and has cost them games in the past.

[quote name="speveto" post="1049297" timestamp="1315157718"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=87686.msg1049218#msg1049218 date=1315150111]
Too many coaches in the stands. ;D
[/quote] Coach Owens was in the stands, setting next to me, and he agreed with Skipper, 100%.
[/quote]

If, ifs and buts were beer and nuts  we would all have a party. ;D

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1049071" timestamp="1315112976"]

just my opinion...
[/quote]
That is exactly correct in my opinion.  Could've been handled several ways, but the call by the coach was not a bad one.

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1049351" timestamp="1315162425"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=87686.msg1049071#msg1049071 date=1315112976]

just my opinion...
[/quote]
That is exactly correct in my opinion.  Could've been handled several ways, but the call by the coach was not a bad one.
[/quote]

I agree.

glad we got a week off lots of work to do on both sides of the ball .the kids at wo-s now know thay can play with the BIG boys becouse nederland has a super bunch of kids and fan support and frindswood has one of the better running backs in texas and there fan support friday was outstanding

Although i didn't agree with the call, it isn't m place to critisize. Trust me, coach t has been around the block. There was a good reason for him to do it. Personally, I would have run another play. On that drive, lindsey was running through them. We had third and goal from the 9. Id bet that we score. But the way beasly was kicking, I see why they tried the fg.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder