Baytown Lee vs. Baytown Sterling Game Thread/Lee wins!

I guess I am just wondering in general where the hell all of the talent went in Baytown lol

Lee has some nice skill position players and a lineman or two.
I can remember when Olin got here.  There was a year there in the mid 90's when we had a cornerback that didn't even start get a college scholarship somewhere.  Eleven starters on this year's defense, maybe one of them would have started back then.  Can't blame it on Sterling taking all the talent.  Looks like you can't blame it on GCM either the way they have looked last year and this.

All the talent moved I guess.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have grew up watching teams that run the offense sterling is running now...the coach is not going to throw the ball 10-15 times a game period, much less to one player...to run that offense the coach has to be hard headed because the whole theory is that if you do it enough you wear the other team down late and can put it away, if you start throwing early it doesnt work...it isn't like the guy was running a different offense at clear lake...sterling knew what they were getting so obviously they are willing to give the guy a shot (which means he should get 4 years at least to install his system with his players), but i always hated watching this offense when the QB shows some throwing ability and esp when there is a kid like Gibson to throw to...that said once the QB gets the offense down he will be good at it, he was holding the ball too long today and Lee was eating him up for it...they need a back like that kid they had playing QB/WR and kick returning last year who graduated, you get someone like that as a threat to pitch and the offense clicks well...

panama i think the talent problem is that in the 90s and early 00s all the talent was at Lee...there is the same amount of talent now but its actually spread evenly over the 3 schools which means it seems like there isn't a lot of talent at any of them...apparantly we have grown as a town yet the football talent has stayed about the same...

Demaryius Thomas from Georgia Tech caught 46 balls for over 1,150 yards and 8 td's as a junior a couple of years ago in this same exact offense.  Gibson has the exact same body and ability to go get the ball.
You can open up the field so much more by requiring double coverage on a guy like that at all times, or else you just burn them deep for td's about 4 times a game and they learn to double cover him real quick.

If they had Nelson and Mixon from last year's team as pitch options then they would be in business.  Of course they had them last year along with McWhirter, albeit in a different offense, and it looked bad last year too.

I don't know what to say about it really.  A lot of high school football boils down to which team understands and executes what they are doing.  Look at Dayton, they look like they have oodles more talent than Lee did last year, but really they were probably equally talented.  Dayton just looks like a well-oiled machine, and Lee looks like a chicken with their head cut off when they run into any adversity.  Lee has not had success, so they don't trust the system.  Dayton trusts the system because they have been running it since they were 5 years old and they know from experience that it works.

I like what Lee has a chance of doing this year.  The defense was extremely surprising to me.  Never would have thought they would have been making any tackles in the backfield, much less the multiple tfl's they did make.
It just scares me to think about how bad Lee will be coming up here soon.  Lee used to get all those Cedar Bayou guys, but not with the introduction of GCM I guess.  Now we are stuck with HM and BJS guys and that's usually not that strong.

I used to hate the idea of rooting for Sterling.  I hate the Cowboys, Aggies and Sterling equally.  I am starting to warm up to rooting for all Baytown teams though.

Yes you read that correctly.  The Clear Lake offense.
I would expect about a 56-7 win for Humble.  Of course this is not knowing a darn thing about what Humble has.

Sterling has to find a way to get the ball to Gibson 10-12 times a game on offense.  Whether that means putting him at wingback or throwing it deep to him once or twice per possession.  He is their best player by a wide margin.  He can create a td or two just by being that much better than the guy covering him and out-jumping and out-muscling him for the ball.

The defense isn't much to write home about for Sterling.

I'm disappointed Sterling never ran speed option (true). They ran power option towards the end but the QB took two steps and hot potatoed it. The backs should really work on cutting in open space...a few more games and their offense should become respectable. Lee looks good. Better than last year and they could possibly sneak a play-off spot.

Lp 56 lee 21
That would be my best guess at this point.
Lee is going to have to show me that they feel that they are a good team.
Too much losing the last few years and they expect the worst.

Lp is too big and physical on offense I would imagine
Going to run through lee like Swiss cheese
Lee can move on most teams I they can limit mistakes

I
Won't be at the game
Going to Chicago for a week
Going to have to keep me posted

The offense may be a "coaches" offense but thats not what gets kids opportunities at the next level unless you are a GT fan or Air Force fan. Even Oswold who was a stud at CL didnt get much of an opportunity because no one is going to recruit an option QB, its a waste. We have a stud aggies recruit at WR and we stick him at safety where I saw him make one tackle?

Last years offense was terrible because Minyard was terrible. I am telling you, the JR high kids in the 9th grade have a lot of skill, they would fit perfect into a spread offense. With Sterlings defense apparently always going to suck, you have to have an offense that can put up points. This almost reminds me of when UH went from the run and shoot to Kim Heltons 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. It killed UH because they didnt have the personnel to run down peoples throats and it killed the fans because it was boring as heck to watch. Again I really like the coach as a guy and as a motivator but he needs to wake  up and realize this isnt 1975. McWhirter is going to get killed before this season is over and the backup QB cant throw it 15 yards. Its going to get real ugly real quick.  There are atleast  3 kids on the freshman A team that should be moved up right now .

While I agree on the college level that you may want to run an offense that will give kids the best opportunity to get to the NFFL, I'm not quite as sure that it matters on the high school level.  You have to be able to recruit the kids to get a good college football team, and they may not want to go to a school that runs an ancient offense.  In high school, you get whatever kids live in your zone and you make the best with what you got, so if he thinks he can win with this offense....

It's not like Katy has a forward thinking offense.  They just stuff it down people's throat.  Haack threw for a little over 100 yards/game last year for them.

If a guy is good enough to get to college, then he will be found out regardless of the offense.  The Demaryius Thomas kid from GT is a perfect example again.  Very high draft pick as a receiver coming from this exact offense that Sterling is running.    If Sterling had Michael Vick at qb, then every college in the nation would be beating his door down, regardless of how backwards the offense was.  The talent would shine through.

Sterling just is devoid of talent on varsity at the moment.  I do agree that they should think about bringing the freshmen up.  What could it hurt?
Get somebody out there to pitch it to that has some natural running ability.

Oswold was what he was.  I doubt being in a different offense would have changed his ability to make a difference at the next level.  He was just a small, semi-quick kid that knew how to run the option. 

Well in regards to Katy, do you think Andy Dalton would have gotten a ride to TCU or be the starting QB for the Bengals right now if he had been in an option offense? I sure as heck dont. The option is a gimmick offense where like you said guys like oswold can have a starring role because he is smart but really has no shot at moving on as QB. His best shot most likely would have been as a slot receiver in a wide open offense so even though he had a good career in HS it hurt him in the long run. Actually I heard the passing QB that CL had moved to Friendswood and actually got a ride somewhere to play football. Had he stayed at CL that never would have happened.

Katy also has some beef up front, something RSS has never had. More reason to spread them out and get into the hands of your playmakers.

I think Aduddel got a wake up call last night and that maybe he can not win with these kids in that offense. McWhirter can throw, actually he looked pretty good last year before he got booted off the team throwing the ball. Rss would have been much better with him throwing to Chance and Gibson with Mixon coming out of the backfield.  Again Minyard was terrible, bout on par with the Lee coach. GCCISD has made horrible coaching hires outside of Olin, they havent gotten it right yet.

As far as Mike Vick, Chance Nelson had some Vick like moves and he really wasnt that high of a recruit. He got pretty lucky the aggies lost someone at the last minute and he was able to catch on, before that he was looking at the much smaller schools.

Guest UHCoog14
The lack of size on the OL is what justifies  the move away from the spread. You cannot  ask these smaller guys to pass block. At least in the  option/wishbone a lineman justs needs to scrape  block for  the most part and  not be expected to maintain his block for too long.
It was  Sterlings first "live" performance in a game environment.  Not the outcome  we wanted, but hopefully they will make the necessary adjustments.

Oregon, auburn, florida, baylor, a&m, michigan, illinois, nevada,  all run an option offense...only difference is the qb ain't under the center. So apparently the Bastard Child of the flexbone option is popular now. Option IS option no matter what formation it is. Too many kids are learning video game football.

Brian Johnson moved out of Crosby and came to Baytown Lee for some of the same reasons.
I guess if Sterling had a tall, pro-style quarterback in the mold of a Ryan Mallett, then sure he would probably want to transfer.
That aint the case at the moment. 
O course a guy like Vince Young would have wanted to transfer out of Katy so that he could show his own running skills more.
You can't please everyone.
The next time Sterling has a dropback passer along the lines of a Tom Brady come along will be the first, so I think they are ok.

Chance Nelson is like a very, very poor man's Vick that has absolutely zero ability to pass the ball.
Nelson is slippery and quick, but he's probably 5'9" 165 lbs.
Vick is much faster and was probably 6' 180 at the same age.

I just don't see any particular reason to like one type of offense over another.  If it works, it works.
If Sterling wins 7-8 games per year and a pro-style passer happens to transfer to Friendswood because of the offense, then so be it.

Andy Dalton had 3500 yards passing in his entire high school career.  If he had transferred to Lee he could have had 7500 yards and been a top national recruit.  He was an under the radar guy, because he played in a run-first offense at Katy.

people might as well forget hoping that sterling switch back to spread...the one characteristic of coaches that run this offense is they are consistant and stubborn...WHEN it works it is almost unstoppable...but like i said Sterling knew what they were getting when they got this guy, it isn't like he hid what he had before...they made an investment in this coach and if his style works then sterling will be fine, but it will take time as this offense is different than what any of these guys were running before...

also, with this offense always comes the crowd who hates it....until they start winning, of course...then the crowd will be ok with it...

for now its not like sterling can get any worse than they were before this guy came so they really have nothing to lose...there is something to say about running an offense that no other team sees normally before they play them...

Are you saying at CL he didnt have a big line because he still ran the option. I would venture to say that CL probably has a massive line most years with the numbers they have, or had before the new schools popped up. To run the Mike Leach offense you dont need a big line, you just need playmakers in open space and a QB that is smart who gets them the ball quickly.

None of the schools you listed LP only throw the ball 3-4 times a game so although there may be some option principles its not even in the same universe as the flexbone. Extreme apples to oranges.

Panama what if Clint Stoerner was a freshman at RSS right now? Would he have gotten to where he was at running the option? He was also a good WR which in this offense would not have been showcased. Who knows maybe he hangs up the cleates and focuses only on baseball instead? Chad Irwin and Robert Ellis would have been wastes at TE.  I am telling you there were kids at Sterling when these guys were coming through had they been at Lee could have done some of the same things those guys did, the difference was the program at RSS did not utilize the talent that was there. I would have loved to have seen olin over at RSS during that time.  As for now, on the freshman level all of these guys have been running the spread for a while, there are guys who can throw the ball to get it into the hands of the playmakers. As for size, I would venture to say the freshman are as big as the varsity although they still have a lot of room to grow.

LP I am not talking NFL, I am talking college scholarship as the next level. All of the guys you listed were studs in college playing on a full ride I am sure.  I would have to question if some of those guys were in the option offense if they would have been given the opportunity to play in college much less the nfl. I'm saying these guys now have limited opportunities to show big colleges their skill sets running this flexbone offense and any coaches job should be providing opportunity to the kids and this offense does not do that. The kid at BH is a stud running the flexbone but I bet he has zero big time colleges knocking on his door for football, he will end up playing college baseball I'm sure even though he has the arm and the smarts to run a pro style or spread offense.

Like I said, I like the guy as a coach. I just hope he is not stubborn enough to keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. He has ran the spread before and just like the guy at GCM, they adjusted to what fits better. Sterlings D is going to give up points and with a option offense its virtually impossible to come back when down by more than 7 points.

I agree that GCCISD knew what they were getting when they made the hire which is why I was not happy when I heard about it. It really makes no sense. You also have to wonder why a guy would leave CL when his son is still an active player there. He is either a JR or SR there now and as a Dad I just couldnt see leaving to be away from that experience, something doesnt add up. Either he was about to be ran out of dodge in CL anyway, or he got word from Minyard, Manley and the rest of the old coaches on the GCCISD payroll that if you just put in a few years on the gridiron you can be reassigned into the coaches dream job of doing nothing (scheduling bus routes is it?) making 75K a year while coasting into retirement.

[quote name="UHCoog44" post="1042993" timestamp="1314497926"]
The lack of size on the OL is what justifies  the move away from the spread. You cannot  ask these smaller guys to pass block. At least in the  option/wishbone a lineman justs needs to scrape  block for  the most part and  not be expected to maintain his block for too long.
It was  Sterlings first "live" performance in a game environment.  Not the outcome  we wanted, but hopefully they will make the necessary adjustments.
[/quote]

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1042648" timestamp="1314467063"]
Yes you read that correctly.  The Clear Lake offense.
I would expect about a 56-7 win for Humble.  Of course this is not knowing a darn thing about what Humble has.

Sterling has to find a way to get the ball to Gibson 10-12 times a game on offense.  Whether that means putting him at wingback or throwing it deep to him once or twice per possession.  He is their best player by a wide margin.  He can create a td or two just by being that much better than the guy covering him and out-jumping and out-muscling him for the ball.

The defense isn't much to write home about for Sterling.
[/quote]

I haven't seen what this years version of Humble looks like, but they return two D1 Tackles (Zorrell Ezell 6'2 275-Baylor, and Paul Boyette Jr 6'4 290- Texas), and a total of 7 defensive starters return from at team that allowed about 1 TD a game on average.      If Sterling cant control the line of scrimmage, they are going to have a LONG day when they face off with the Wildcats.   

I don't necessarily disagree with you that maybe this isn't the best offense for Sterling.
I just don't think that the ability of the offense to get kids seen and scholarships should be the deciding factor on anything.
If he wins, all of this will be moot.  No one has been able to win at Sterling in nearly 30 years.

Clint probably wouldn't have been much of a fan of the current Lee offense either. 
Who knows, Lee may have had a guy that could have been all world as n option qb under Olin that never got the chance because the offense was not suited for him.
This hypothetical athlete might have had a scholarship to Nebraska or Virginia Tech waiting on him had he played option b instead of being a 3rd receiver.

Just saying, this stuff works both ways.

Well that goes along with my point, there are not many looking for option style qbs  so if one was missed they missed on one of 3 schools looking for them vs hundrends running the more modern offenses.  Not only that, has it been successful anywhere?  CL with oswold got to the semi finals one year and then the next year I think went 0 fer.  Has any modern team running the option won a state title in the 4a or 5a ranks?

How far back is modern?
Lewisville won multiple championships in the 90's with nothing but triple option, rarely threw a pass if ever in most games.
Clear lake way outperformed their talent in my opinion.

I guess that I just don't think it's wise to build your schemes around what is popular or what will get you scholarships.  Brett favre played option ball in high school if I remember correctly.  There are enough camps out there and 7 on 7 to get noticed even in a run first offense. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder