Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="1034080" timestamp="1313120439"]
[quote author=infield fly link=topic=86369.msg1034077#msg1034077 date=1313120110]
The only one on here with any sack is mosely.  Everyone else needs to post their real name and make it very interesting.
[/quote]

Good post Mr. Fly....now we all know your real name    ;D
[/quote]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D priceless

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="#1 Manager" post="1034102" timestamp="1313125561"]
  Something some of yall might have no clue about is how poor Nederland advertises for their coaching jobs. This Summers Coaching Job Market listed only 2 jobs, Head Softball Coach & Linebacker coach. Last time I checked there were bout 4 more jobs to add to that list!  I tried asking who's encharge of posting and i didnt get an answer back (maybe cause the person encharge wouldnt want controversy if people found out)
  Micah I give you credit for trying to proove your points through a politcally correct stand point with all this budget stuff and teaching kids comes first..I agree! You were a great RB for Nederland I think one of the best! But how I recall it going down was that Neumann disliked the idea of basketball split block and English had to go fight for it through the school board and admininstrations. So if spewing absolute crap solves nothing.......You just solved [b]NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b] You can try to argue with me but I spent a majority of my high school career with Basketball/English and u spent yours with Football/Neumann  so basically we would be arguing back and forth over the two.
  My Last thing i would like to bring up is on the topic of [b]"Neumann's Great Bluff"[/b] (yeah im giving it a tittle cause you could write a book about it). Remember a couple of years ago when Coach Neumann came on the News and said he was considering leaving for the LaMargue job. Please, me and my dad both knew he wasnt gonna take that job. Moving from a pro dominate white school to a pro dominate black school in Houston, he couldnt handle those kids regardless of how highly everybody talks bout his coaching skills. He used scare tactics as a way to make the school district pay him more money to stay. If thats not a sign of a selfishness in Neumann,I dont what is!
  What it all comes down to is that no matter what we say or post on the message board the School Board & Administrations are scared to stand up against him. In my opinion we shouldnt even have a mayor cause Neumann Practically owns and controls this town......Cause in the end we are all cut out faces on the pawns of Neumann's Chess board in the game that he is [b]WINNING[/b]!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I'm not familiar with the summers coaching job market listings or how they work but the 2 listings make sense in Yeaman (softball) and Jardell (linebacker) since they've taken administrative positions. The other four you refer to I am unaware of and how they potentially correlate with teaching positions.

I played other sports and you can single me out as only a football player if you like, but I think if you read through my posts you'll see nothing but the utmost respect and support for Neumann, English, Smith, etc. and Nederland as a whole. I've even stated multiple times we should push for more specialized coaching and specialized teaching positions to allow the best for both our students and athletes alike. This would greatly benefit Coach English would it not? [u]What I didn't agree with in this thread was the bashing posts coming from cowards behind screen names. If I'm in the wrong for disagreeing with that type of behavior then so be it. [/u] I then spent pages upon pages discussing several different topics and reasoning for Coach Smith remaining where he was. I don't know if any of what I said is true or not but it certainly is more logical and brings more value to a conversation than suggesting Neumann wants to sabotage English or see English fail.

Regarding the split block/double block scheduling we'll have to agree to disagree as I have accounts from several different individuals that have told me differently. If this was the main purpose of your argument then you missed an entire threads worth of conversation. If Coach English was actually upset after I posted that, he is more than welcome to call me. I don't think I've said anything but good things about him this entire thread.

Are you suggesting Neumann doesn't reserve the right to venture into other cities for employment and is only doing so as some kind of ploy? I don't really agree with that. As AD and HC I think his salary compares to the rest of Texas. Regardless this is irrelevant to a thread concerning an assistant to Coach English.

I think your last point comes off as a little condescending to the people in NISD's administration office. I'm not even sure what role the mayor plays in academics of a our city.

I don't know Mr. Neumann and can offer no reasonable opinion on his coaching prowess, AD abilities, or personal qualities.  I also have no opinion on any Nederland sports as I dont live there and have never followed any of their athletic programs other than seeing their basketball team play once or twice a year for the last several years. I have met Mr. English and he seems to be a fine individual and his coaching record speaks loudly for itself.  I am a die hard basketball fan, so my comments will seem/be tilted toward basketball.

I think those who questioned the hiring process for the basketball assistant possibly were trying to say this:

When it comes to hiring someone on the football staff, extreme consideration is given to who gets hired .  Additionally, extreme care is given to make sure that the school is  as accomodative as possible to the individual who gets hired in terms of teaching schedule, other duties, etc. etc.  The perception out there is, that when a coach gets hired for another sport, it does not appear that the same degree of care and consideration is employed in that process.  I may or may not be able to prove that.  But I have to ask myself, why, exactly, does that perception EXIST? 

All I want is for the Basketball Program to thrive in Nederland. I put too much time and dedication in helping it grow to see it get the short end of the stick. You would think in a true AD's position that he would recognize the sports around him are thriving and help them a tad. That help could be getting another coach, giving more funding, or just plain recognition. In my 4 years as apart of Nederland High School I have attended many athletic events (basketball,football,baseball,softball,soccer,volleyball,track,tennis,even swimming). I have noticed from some of these coaches the displeasure they have toward the AD's decisions toward their respective sport. Its not fair in my eyes to have a quality football staff and all the other sports around football get whoever they can find to give another coaching title, no matter the coaching background. If the AD wants to stop all this hate toward him its easy, recognize a team that wins District(not fight for 4th place)but winning District. But by giving coaches someone they dont want, just gives that coach another reason for leaving Nederland!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1034204" timestamp="1313160720"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=86369.msg1034180#msg1034180 date=1313158311]
Can't we just all agree, PNG SUCKS! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]You gotta admit they got a once-in-a-lifetime basketball experience last season ;D
[/quote]

More than ur kids did at hf

[quote name="team first" post="1034262" timestamp="1313167395"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=86369.msg1034204#msg1034204 date=1313160720]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=86369.msg1034180#msg1034180 date=1313158311]
Can't we just all agree, PNG SUCKS! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]You gotta admit they got a once-in-a-lifetime basketball experience last season ;D
[/quote]

More than ur kids did at hf
[/quote] ;D

[quote name="#1 Manager" post="1034217" timestamp="1313163215"]
All I want is for the Basketball Program to thrive in Nederland. I put too much time and dedication in helping it grow to see it get the short end of the stick. You would think in a true AD's position that he would recognize the sports around him are thriving and help them a tad. That help could be getting another coach, giving more funding, or just plain recognition. In my 4 years as apart of Nederland High School I have attended many athletic events (basketball,football,baseball,softball,soccer,volleyball,track,tennis,even swimming). I have noticed from some of these coaches the displeasure they have toward the AD's decisions toward their respective sport. Its not fair in my eyes to have a quality football staff and all the other sports around football get whoever they can find to give another coaching title, no matter the coaching background. If the AD wants to stop all this hate toward him its easy, recognize a team that wins District(not fight for 4th place)but winning District. But by giving coaches someone they dont want, just gives that coach another reason for leaving Nederland!
[/quote]

Josh,

I'd like to see basketball excel in Nederland too. Being a trainer/manager requires a lot of work and time that often goes unnoticed by some but I can assure you your efforts and dedication was recognized by many. There is no doubt that other sports in Nederland are thriving. Luckily we have a great group of coaches in Nederland that spend a lot of uncompensated time because they enjoy teaching the game and competing. While your post suggests that Coach Neumann owns a magical checkbook that increases funding and provides more coaching positions, that simply isn't the case. I addressed the reasoning behind Neumann's decision. Most times these asst. coaching positions must be filled with a coach that is certified to teach in an open teaching position. The coach you are referring to is not certified in science. If this is not the case then please correct me. After reading your post what you don't understand is sometimes the AD's hands are tied since open teaching and coaching positions must be filled by one person who is certified to teach the open subject. Since we've all recognized that English needs more assistant coaches (I think someone previously said Ozen had 6) we need to see about creating new, additional positions to help English out. Despite the fact that you imply Neumann can create these positions with a quick John Hancock, this isn't the truth.

I've noticed on your two posts you initially post things that you go back and delete so that no one can see. I won't reply to these parts of your post, but know that I read them and I highly doubt Coach English considered making an account on SETX sports but sent you instead to "put me in my place."

This wasn't the focus of the entire thread until you recently claimed to be in the know and I didn't see it necessary to put effort into replying about. I will say while many boy's basketball Dads, fans, etc. on this board assume that Coach Neumann disagreed with double blocking/split blocking [b]boys[/b] basketball, in reality that couldn't be any farther from the truth. I won't use caps, bolding, and exclamation points to somehow scream my message in your direction but when double/split blocking was first created, way back when, it was planned to be provided to any sport or sponsor (e.g. band, westernaires, etc.) that sought it. Now, granted Coach English wasn't around at the time, he can't be blamed for not seeking his respective sport be double blocked like only Coach Neumann (football) and Val Rose (band director) eventually did. So time went on until other sports such as vball and basketball expressed interest again. Since some claim that Neumann was deadset at not allowing double blocking boy's basketball, I'll tell you what he didn't agree with since it seems partial basketball fans are incapable of recognizing that Coach Neumann would support double blocking all sports and not just football or volleyball. He disagreed with [u]only[/u] double blocking [u]boy's[/u] basketball. Coach Neumann thought it was fair for all sports to be double blocked and felt the girl's should have a vested interest in being double blocked too. Also, there was multiple scheduling conflicts arising that I am certain Ms. Moye addressed in the school board meeting at the time. So you can claim all you want that Neumann is a cruel dictator out to undermine the rise of the basketball program due to a personal vendetta against English but that is the history regarding double blocking. I guess this is the part of my post where I cap and bold to somehow feel as though I put you in your place but I don't see that as necessary and I would gain nothing from it.

In all honesty, I hope there is not a growing dissension among Nederland sports like #1 Manager suggests. I was done with this thread until #1 Manager came onto the board, further twisting things into stuff they are not. We gotta push for the future of Nederland.  Goodluck this year Nederland Basketball! As evidenced by the past seasons, we got a great one in English. Now let's get him some more assistants! Signing out.

For what it's worth, when I was a head coach at NHS and this stuff was being discussed, Coach Neumann asked me if I would like my athletic period to be double blocked. I said, "Yes, definitely." He responded by saying, "I'm glad you said that because any coach who doesn't want to see his kids every day probably isn't a very good coach."

Any time I had a conversation with Coach Neumann about a change in policy or a break in a precident, he would always say, "If we do it for one, then we have to do it for all." I'm not saying that he is/was for or against the double blocking of basketball (or whatever other sport), but if he is/was not fully on board with it, ask yourself, "Why not?" If you think he actually wants to see another sport fail, then you just might have a tin foil hat or something. I certainly would not want to be the AD who had to deal with the logistics of having essentially all sports meeting 1st or last period. That's all sports sharing the showers, locker room, weight room, gym, and fields. Rainy days would not be fun. You wanna see a fight?! Ask a cheerleader sponsor to get out of the gym because you have a game tomorrow! She's like a honey badger. She doesn't give a flip. They have a competition that weekend and that's all that matters!

Another point to consider: If you are taking these coaches and their assistants out of the classroom for an additional athletic period, then you are burdening the rest of the teachers who do not coach on that campus. Who will take on that extra academic course load?

Again, I'm just offering what (little) I know of this subject in my nine years at NHS. Also, just for fun, replace "Nederland High School" with just about any school in Texas, and replace "basketball" with any sport other than football, and nothing will change. Every sport other than football in every town in Texas gets no respect. If you don't like it, move to Kentucky. They [i]SUCK[/i] at football, and no one cares.

I gotta go. The aliens have hidden my tin foil hat again.

[quote name="Bon_Mot" post="1034672" timestamp="1313215441"]
For what it's worth, when I was a head coach at NHS and this stuff was being discussed, Coach Neumann asked me if I would like my athletic period to be double blocked. I said, "Yes, definitely." He responded by saying, "I'm glad you said that because any coach who doesn't want to see his kids every day probably isn't a very good coach."

Any time I had a conversation with Coach Neumann about a change in policy or a break in a precident, he would always say, "If we do it for one, then we have to do it for all." I'm not saying that he is/was for or against the double blocking of basketball (or whatever other sport), but if he is/was not fully on board with it, ask yourself, "Why not?" If you think he actually wants to see another sport fail, then you just might have a tin foil hat or something. I certainly would not want to be the AD who had to deal with the logistics of having essentially all sports meeting 1st or last period. That's all sports sharing the showers, locker room, weight room, gym, and fields. Rainy days would not be fun. You wanna see a fight?! Ask a cheerleader sponsor to get out of the gym because you have a game tomorrow! She's like a honey badger. She doesn't give a flip. They have a competition that weekend and that's all that matters!

Another point to consider: If you are taking these coaches and their assistants out of the classroom for an additional athletic period, then you are burdening the rest of the teachers who do not coach on that campus. Who will take on that extra academic course load?

Again, I'm just offering what (little) I know of this subject in my nine years at NHS. Also, just for fun, replace "Nederland High School" with just about any school in Texas, and replace "basketball" with any sport other than football, and nothing will change. Every sport other than football in every town in Texas gets no respect. If you don't like it, move to Kentucky. They [i]SUCK[/i] at football, and no one cares.

I gotta go. The aliens have hidden my tin foil hat again.
[/quote]

Good post.

Mosley states only band and football wanted double block, but bon mot stated he also wanted double block.
So if Bon mot wanted double block, why wasn't he given double block for his sport also??? Another question I would like to know is do football-basketball players, football-baseball players get to go to whatever sport it is at that time? In other words if it's basketball season or baseball season does everone freshman thru seniors get to practice the sport that they are in at that time during that class period?

[quote name="eknights88" post="1034733" timestamp="1313245694"]
Mosley states only band and football wanted double block, but bon mot stated he also wanted double block.
So if Bon mot wanted double block, why wasn't he given double block for his sport also???[/quote]

I wanted to be double blocked as long as my sport could meet last period. Meeting last period allows you to work all the way until the final bell - you don't have to worry about getting the kids inside in time to get showered and dressed, which is about 10 or 15 extra minutes a day, and I wouldn't have to get showered and dressed to get back in the classroom. Also, players in an athletic class last period don't have to miss any academic class if the team leaves a little early to beat the after school traffic. Another point, if a class is double blocked, the 2nd half of that class period must either be a study hall or another class. Where are you going to put all of those kids or what class are you going to create that is split to accomodate the double blocking? Anyway, I believe a study was done and the option I was given was to have my athletic period meet during one of the middle blocks. For the points provided above, I thought it best to remain as it was.
I've worked for half a dozen AD's in my almost 20 years of coaching, and Coach Neumann has been my favorite by far. Did I always get what I wanted? No. Coach Neumann's philosophy often is "fair but not equal" and he was always fair with me.
Truthfully, I would have loved to have had half the number of coaches that football got. I would have loved to have had a middle school program for my sport. I would have loved to have had more money in my budget. I didn't get any of that, but somehow the program I was a part of won a bunch of games in spite of these injustices.
I'm not sure what the formula for success is, but a formula for failure is to try and please everyone. And the bottom line is, if you think your child is being mistreated, get off the message board and set up an appointment to speak with someone who is paid to listen to you. Just make sure your tin foil hat is on straight.

I have read all of the posts on here with quite a bit of amusement.  I want to make the following points:
1.)  I have had one of my sons(JP &/or Jr) on all of the past 5 years varsity basketball and/or baseball teams.  I have grown to respect and like Coach Neuman, although, I do not always agree with him.  He knew my sons and what they accomplished, therefore, I know he at a minimum kept up with the other sports.  I do believe he is a better Football Coach than AD.  But then again each position should be a fulltime job and separated. 
2.)  I do not believe any posters have accused him of wanting to sabotage basketball but rather I read most posts as indicating that he has not giving it as much support as he could. 
2.)  Fighting past history, such as split blocks, does no  good.  That was resolved and there are 2 sides to that story.  The truth is actually somewhere in the middle. [b]What is said behind closed doors does not always make it into meeting minutes.[/b]  Some individuals are much more politically correct in a public venue than they are one-on-one.
3.)  Micah and Jacob, you are both passionate, but, [b]fair or not[/b], you both have credibility issues when responding on this issue due to where your known loyalties lie.  There are people very loyal to Coach Neuman, who will tell you football will always come first in the decision making.  I don't know if I was an AD and my job was based on football that i wouldn't do the same.
4.)  I think the argument about who the assistant that was hired is misguided and not the true issue.  He was hired first and foremost to be a football coach and then assigned to basketball.  That is how it has been done forever.  However, more information is needed to make a truly [b]informed[/b] decision as to what the new assistant’s qualifications may be.  He may have previous experience as a basketball coach.  Coach Jardell and Coach St. Pierre were not originally basketball coaches but learned basketball.  I would let my sons play for them any day.
5.)  It is not fair to bring up Coach Smith.  He can speak for himself and doesn’t deserve to have problems possibly created by posters with their own an agenda.  He has to work for the AD and with all of the other coaches.  The odds of him being moved, now or in the future, by Coach Neuman has been diminished greatly by this thread.  Who knows, there may have been applicants that couldn’t get an interview, maybe a prior assistant to English, that would have been just a good choice.

IMO  The true issue should be, at what point Coach English gets his assistants for basketball.  Presently, he does not get them until football is over.  UIL allows basketball to start practice at the end of October or 1st of November.  I think he would be happy just to have a warm body to assist him with 3 teams practicing and coaching at the early tournaments.  No other Nederland sport, that I know of, is required to start a season without at least one assistant.  Coach Robin has always had  at least two assistants at the start of baseball.  Noone who is posting knows all of the issues that were considered, but after 5 years of watching, things are not always as cut and dry as they seem.  Yes, Nederland Basketball does deserve more but start by addressing the most pressing issue.

Guest Brubaker
One log to throw on this fire, why did Jordan Wood, Seth Barrow, and Michael Shaw, stop playing basketball?  They were three of the best players in their class, Shaw one of the best athletes in the school, Barrow shoots the lights out and a great athlete in his own right, Wood a small forward who can bang, step back and hit a j, dee up and rebound.... Why are these guys not playing basketball?  I've got my theory.  This lovefest goes both ways, get off your high horse.  I can't think they just lost interest.  And I know if they grabbed any two knuckleheads from the halls, their five could ball against anyone in the school... so how rosy white is this situation?

[quote name="Brubaker" post="1036352" timestamp="1313552109"]
One log to throw on this fire, why did Jordan Wood, Seth Barrow, and Michael Shaw, stop playing basketball?  They were three of the best players in their class, Shaw one of the best athletes in the school, Barrow shoots the lights out and a great athlete in his own right, Wood a small forward who can bang, step back and hit a j, dee up and rebound.... Why are these guys not playing basketball?  I've got my theory.  This lovefest goes both ways, get off your high horse.  I can't think they just lost interest.  And I know if they grabbed any two knuckleheads from the halls, their five could ball against anyone in the school... so how rosy white is this situation?
[/quote]

Hmmmm... very interested in reading the response to this post.

Brubaker just knocked down a big 3 and now has applied some full court pressure. ;D

Honestly, that choice by those kids had much more to do with them wanting to play baseball rather than anything else...football and basketball really do not interfere with each other but baseball and basketball tend to overlap.

...and wow, I have really tried to stay out of this thread, but now I just can't seem to after 17 pages...

IMO, this whole thread is pretty much useless and speculation...anyone who thinks that Neumann is out to sabotage any of the other programs is just plain wrong, IMO...seems to me that folks are making assumptions here without being equipped with all of the facts...Nederland is fortunate to have outstanding coaches in most all of their major sports and this includes Neumann and English...both have outstanding track records that speak for themselves...personally, I would be proud to have my kids play for either of them...before anyone here says, "don't be so sure", for the record, my son has played for both and has the utmost respect for both...at the end of the day, both are outstanding coaches and more importantly, teachers of their respective games...more importantly, both are excellent teachers when it comes to teaching young boys how to become young men, and that is what is most important at the end of the day.

As for me, I am a Bulldog fan and that goes for ALL sports...threads like this are counter productive to the athletic program as a whole, especially when I am pretty certain that all of the facts are not known and people make assumptions.

Go Dogs!!

As this uninformed outsider said previously, from what I have read, I believe the complaint is that the AD does not give near the care/consideration for the non football  coaching assignments as he does for the football assignments.  Can I prove that? No?  But I still am very curious as to why such a perception exists/persists.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1036963" timestamp="1313689190"]
As this uninformed outsider said previously, from what I have read, I believe the complaint is that the AD does not give near the care/consideration for the non football  coaching assignments as he does for the football assignments.  Can I prove that? No?  But I still am very curious as to why such a perception exists/persists.
[/quote]

Regardless of which side you believe (or who is right or wrong) there are obviously plenty of people who have immense concern of the rationale of the decisions which have been made regarding this hire.

Coach English is the best coach Nederland could ask for.If you are a basketball or baseball and basketball guy you fit great in his development plan.Razor that is why I disagree with your reason the three guys left the basketball program.They feel like they get to basketball to late from football season to compete for a starting position.Did not matter how well they played their freshman year they were never allowed to become part of the starting five.English has very few football players play basketball for him at the varsity level at Vidor and Nederland.Shaw.Wood,Barrow and Couron were known as the "Football Guys".They figured this out and moved on.Just like some on this forum should do!Brubaker, I would love to see Shaw,Wood,Barrow,Couron and Smith practice a week together then take on the "Basketball Guys". Student Athletes against the Basketball Guys!I am sure it would draw a few people to watch it.