How Many Teams Do You Feel Should Make Playoffs?

KFDM COOP

How May Teams Should Go To The Playoffs?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How May Teams Should Go To The Playoffs?

• Every Team In District

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yard Bird

I am old school. I think they should go back to the top two in each district making the playoffs. Eliminate the d1 and d2, and let the best teams in the state duke it out.

Question, Since it's induction of three teams making the playoffs, How many teams that finished 3rd in their district won the state championship? or played for the state championship?

I think 3 teams is too many. Heck in 3A, there is a team in the playoffs with a 2-8 record and several with 3-7 records. For that reason, I don't think there should be a set number from each district. There are teams sitting at the house that are head and shoulders better than that.

I don't know how they could change it though.

Only the district champion should advance to the playoffs. I recognize that some good teams will be left out but that's the breaks. When I was a Jr. in HS we lost one district game to a team that made it to the quarterfinal round. They beat us 7-0 on their home field and we were the better overall team. Hurt like hell but that's just life. Under todays playoff system, being district champ doesn't mean as much as it used to.

I have some mixed feelings about this. To me, 4 is entirely too many and 3 may be too much. I feel very comfortable with 2 making it. When you go to three, you get a mixed bag...there are some very strong third place teams out there and some very weak ones. Heck, I remember one year not too long ago when WOS finshed 4th and was left out. Nederland went several rounds into the playoffs and it took a while before we played anyone who was as good as WOS was that year and they unfortunately stayed home.

If I had to choose, I would say 2 teams make it.

Fair enough the 3rd place teams have done fairly well at times and very well at times.....but that's with 2 STATE CHAMPIONS! In my opinion there should be only one CHAMPION in each classification!

Ideas:

1) Let all 3 teams play in the same playoff system!

2) Create more classifications!

3) Have Div 1 and Div 2 play an extra game to decide on ONE CHAMPION!

4) BCS style playoff system, only the top ???? ranked teams go, based on strength of schedule, playing up helps, playing down against "ranked" teams help...etc.etc.

Reasons why it's the way it is:

1) Money for UIL

2) Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so let more teams go.

3) More and more super districts, so you have to allow 3 because 4 of those combined teams are ligit playoff contenders!

I personally would like the ranking system....top 64 teams go. Sure you will have some complaining about who's ranked 55-70 but who cares. Who knows of the lowest ranked team to ever win a state championship in any classification? I'm guessing not lower than 30 for sure, probably not out of the top 10!

Just my opinion!

Adding a 4th team to the playoff schedule only adds one week to the DI side. If having this many teams in the playoffs is considered watering it down with weak teams, the weak teams will probably be eliminated in the 1st or 2nd rounds anyway, and these kids (we are playing for the kids right?), even though they lost out, will have something to talk about for a long time. Then there's the argument ....what if a weak team gets lucky and knocks out a strong team? Tough, it happens all the time. It's called an upset. It all comes down to money anyway. The UIL is rolling in it with all these teams. I don't have a problem with 3 or 4 teams. Like I said, if you don't belong, you'll find out soon enough, or maybe you can peak and surprise some people.....that's football.

Guest TravelingBandsman

I believe in 4 teams going. Set up D1 with the same brackets as D2 but the two highest enrollment go to D1 and the high and low seed of those two are set up however, and then the high and low seed of D2 the same way.

Only the district champion should advance to the playoffs. ........ Under todays playoff system' date=' being district champ doesn't mean as much as it used to.[/quote']

Being district champ does not mean as much but ask the kids and fans of the playoff teams if they feel cheapened or don't watch their team in the playoffs because they weren't the "champion".

I would bet that a huge majority likes more than one team. Why punish the rest of the teams on the whim of a very small percentage of people?

The players like it and the fans like it so why not do it?

I remember when Jasper and others in our area were in a Zone...you had 6 to 8 teams in your zone, then the winner of the zone had to play the winner from the other zone and that team was the district champion...and that was the only team who went on to play. You had 12 teams in your district. The following pic is a zone shcedual from when WO-S was still stark and orange. click pic to see enlarged

This is the hidden content, please

boy are we getting old :D :shock: :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder