Jesse Riojas out at WO-S/Shea Landry named new coach.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1012883" timestamp="1305916715"]
[quote author=queenb77630 link=topic=84400.msg1012879#msg1012879 date=1305916215]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=84400.msg1012763#msg1012763 date=1305881086]
[quote author=queenb77630 link=topic=84400.msg1012604#msg1012604 date=1305841296]
well I guess my son won't be playing next year because I think Landry is a smart butt.  Anyone who calls the kids "f(*&ing punks" and doesn't care that he says it in front of a parent deserves and gets no respect from me!
[/quote]OMG ..a coach called a punk" A PUNK" ..Teach your child ...how does it go STICKS AND STONES :o Whatever get over it...Move to B.C coach Landry is NICE and he talks nice to the boys every day even know they are acting like *&ing punks...LOL..Go to png ..Nederland coaches there are very nice and sweat...HeHeHeHeHeHe..FUUNNNNNNNNNNY ::)
[/quote]

did you read the entire post?  the punk part doesn't bother me; its the unnecessary cuss word that preceeded the name; said loud and in front of young kids.  What would you do if your young child heard that and repeated it?  Yes, there were YOUNG kids around when he said that. 
[/quote]

Not that I condone cussing in public either with or without young children present, but if you think that Coach Landry is the first Mustang baseball coach to use expletives in public, you never attended a game while Ronnie Anderson, who I think we can all agree set the standard by which WO-S baseball wishes to return, coached.
[/quote]

I think Ronnie Anderson was while I was in Jr. High.  Certainly know who he is though.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares what a coach tells his players swats will happen and curse words will happen someone tell me do you think football coaches ends every sentence on the field with please and thank you on friday night. curse words may not be necessary but as a play they get me pumped or they make me focus more. a parent wont let there child play because of a small misuse of vocabulary. grow up...what do you do at home when your child breaks something.. send him to a timeout yeah that works the bottom line is coaches will curse and players will curse watch closely when a player strikes out or an ump makes a terrible call in the field youll see some curse words...im sure every high school player has cursed.... its all about the competiveness in the game and we all know baseball in south east texas is some of the most competitive around

This entire conversation makes me laugh. The best laugh that I have had was that Sam Moore and Fackler are some of the all time great coaches who have mentored Coach Landry. If you have been around baseball for any time at all and know anything about the game, you would know that it is only a business for these men. All of them are fine people with good knowledge of the game but it is about money only. If there is a true amount of baseball love and desire to teach the game, then why not be a true teacher and be an educator of young men in high school. By doing this they could prove that they have great teaching skiils and also teach kids the more important things in life.
It looks to me that they take the easy road by charging huge amounts of money for special classes and then benifit from it by saying "I got "4 Little Johnny's scholorships". A true coach teaches "Little Johnny" on the field, off the field and in the class room for much less profit, and that high school coach loves the kid for much more than monetary profit.

[quote name="78Stang" post="1013471" timestamp="1306118949"]
This entire conversation makes me laugh. The best laugh that I have had was that Sam Moore and Fackler are some of the all time great coaches who have mentored Coach Landry. If you have been around baseball for any time at all and know anything about the game, you would know that it is only a business for these men. All of them are fine people with good knowledge of the game but it is about money only. If there is a true amount of baseball love and desire to teach the game, then why not be a true teacher and be an educator of young men in high school. By doing this they could prove that they have great teaching skiils and also teach kids the more important things in life.
It looks to me that they take the easy road by charging huge amounts of money for special classes and then benifit from it by saying "I got "4 Little Johnny's scholorships". A true coach teaches "Little Johnny" on the field, off the field and in the class room for much less profit, and that high school coach loves the kid for much more than monetary profit.
[/quote]

I've known Coach Moore and Coach Fackler for years and if you think they have hit a goldmine in instruction, they have fooled me. They provide a service that obviously the public thinks will benefit their kids, both don't hold a gun to anyone.

Besides Coach Moore and Coach Fackler, there are other instructors in the area who provide this service.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1013475" timestamp="1306120741"]
[quote author=78Stang link=topic=84400.msg1013471#msg1013471 date=1306118949]
[/quote]

I've known Coach Moore and Coach Fackler for years and if you think they have hit a goldmine in instruction, they have fooled me. They provide a service that obviously the public thinks will benefit their kids, both don't hold a gun to anyone.

Besides Coach Moore and Coach Fackler their are other instructors in the area who provide this service.
[/quote]

I must agree Admin.......following that line of thinking, Sylvan must be robbing parents along with other tutors of various academic subjects.  As a teacher,  I appreciate anyone helping my students to learn whether it is about Math, Science, Social Studies, English, or even Baseball.  Teachers and coaches do their jobs and tutors/coaches add whatever they can.  None of us are getting rich but we all do it for the same reason. I too fail to see where these coaches coerce anyone to employ their services. I thank Chris and Sam for what they offer and deliver.  If anyone doesn't feel their services are valuable, my advice is to not hire them.

78stang, you've been on here before with similar statements. It's sad that you have had bad experiences with baseball in the past.
My "Little Johnny" has played for both Sam Moore and Chris Fackler and their knowledge has helped my son in ways that cannot be measured. My "Little Johnny" will also be playing college baseball on scholarship next year and to this date, neither of these coaches have taken credit. They taught my son to work hard and earn his way through that hard work. Moore and Fackler are mentors and teachers of the game. Yes, they earn a living by doing so just as all of us have to do each day.
78stang, you are entirley off-base.

Back to the topic. Good luck to Coach Riojas and congratulation to Coach Landry.

Yes, I have made simular staments in the past. The thing that I want to most impress on parents and players is, if a kid has the GOD given talent and abilty to play the game of baseball then there is no need to go to a person who only benifits from that tallent for profit. Only few kids are given that kind of tallent. There is no reason for a high skilled baseball player that has that kind of tallent to pay someone else to gain the glorry for his hard work. Please be honest, most highly skilled baseball players have a gift given from above and will move on to college or pro baseball because of that. I truely do like both of the instructors mentioned here and want nothing but the best for them but, is it always the best for the kid and their [u]team[/u]?

[quote name="78Stang" post="1013514" timestamp="1306157892"]
Yes, I have made simular staments in the past. The thing that I want to most impress on parents and players is, if a kid has the GOD given talent and abilty to play the game of baseball then there is no need to go to a person who only benifits from that tallent for profit. Only few kids are given that kind of tallent. There is no reason for a high skilled baseball player that has that kind of tallent to pay someone else to gain the glorry for his hard work. Please be honest, most highly skilled baseball players have a gift given from above and will move on to college or pro baseball because of that. I truely do like both of the instructors mentioned here and want nothing but the best for them but, is it always the best for the kid and their [u]team[/u]?
[/quote]

Someone needs an English tutor ;D It would need to be free though, because I wouldn't want 78stang to say they were making money off of him :D

78 Stang, Why don't you sign your name to your posts?  I get tired of people taking pot shots at these guys and not signing their name.  I have had the pleasure of watching both coaches the past year plus.  Might be a bold statement, but I think Fackler is the best "on-field" coach in this area.  The way he manages a game is tremendous.  Sam is one of the best at preparing players for games.  He is an excellent trainer, in that he prepares players on all aspects of the game.  He teaches players that preparation is much more than throwing the ball around prior to a game.

To say that these coaches are not teachers, goes to show how little you know about their craft.  Both coaches teach young men how to become responsible men.  Both hold their players accountable and show them the importance of maturity on the field and off the field.  They teach that it is OK to fail as long as you learn something from it, and get back in the game.

As far as them getting paid to share their knowledge, it is their profession.  Just as there are Doctors, Lawyers, CPAs, and police officers, there are trainers.  I feel the education my son can learn from these guys, is worth them getting paid.  If I wanted to get in shape, I might hire a personal trainer and a dietician to teach me how to best get in shape.  Same thing with these guys.  I feel the game of baseball is an excellent trainer of young men on the importance of hard work, work ethic, decision making, team work, and many other ideals.  These guys are excellent teachers of all aspects of the game of baseball and life.

Finally, your most recent post highlights that you don't get it.  I personally have seen 16 year old kids, come into our baseball program, with little more than "potential".  By the time they are seniors, they are attracting colleges and getting offers.  Is that due to the coach?  NO! But the coach can teach the player how to improve his game and how to prepare mentally and physically for that one opportunity.  More importantly, coaches can instill the work ethic necessary to achieve those dreams.  EXACTLY like a good teacher does with a student.  Sorry, but players are not "born with talent".   I have seen a number of marginal players work their tails off and improve their game to now be college baseball worthy.  Likewise, I have seen many a "superstar" fall by the wayside due to drugs, girls, grades, etc.  Coaches/Teachers prepare their students for the next level, whatever that is.  In baseball, a coach can take a player with talent and get the most of that talent out of him, just like a teacher does.  Sam and Chris do just that.  I have seen it many times.

Back to the topic, I think Coach Riojas is a good coach.  Two years ago, he got the most of the team he had in their playoff run. I am sure he will land on his feet.  He has many talents.  Wishing the WOS baseball program continued success.

Dave Morrow

[quote name="queenb77630" post="1012604" timestamp="1305841296"]
well I guess my son won't be playing next year because I think Landry is a smart butt.  Anyone who calls the kids "f(*&ing punks" and doesn't care that he says it in front of a parent deserves and gets no respect from me!
[/quote]

Well I can tell you he coaches the 11U team For Gulf Coast Baseball and I have never heard him speak like that with them or with the high school boys. You must have him confused. I can't say he didn't say that but those words are not the kind of words Coach Landry uses. He is very well respected by parents and players. He demands the kids respect of him and the game. I'm very excited for WOS baseball. If this is what you heard him say then your son shouldn't play. If someone told you this story I recommend you get your own opinion. I for one am very excited about having Coach Landry and realize that he has a marathon to run and not a sprint. It will be an uphill battle. False rumors will not help him get kids out to play. Congrats Coach we are very excited to have you.

Tony Dallas

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1012610" timestamp="1305842570"]
Might be a record, promoted at lunch and before the bell rang calling for his head.I could be wrong on the bell, I'm 2 hour difference in time zones today.
[/quote]

We will not let one persons opinion do harm and or slow down any momentum Coach Landry can get. Trust me on this one.

well I guess my son won't be playing next year because I think Landry is a smart butt.  Anyone who calls the kids "f(*&ing punks" and doesn't care that he says it in front of a parent deserves and gets no respect from me!
[/quote][quote author=78Stang link=topic=84400.msg1013514#msg1013514 date=1306157892]
[/quote]

These two may take the cake as 2 of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read!

Let me clarify for 78stang when I said Great coaches....did not say all time great coaches...that is reserved for only 2 I know and that would be Chuck Young and Ronnie Anderson.

Now the resume before they decided to change their career path, Sam Moore was a very successful HS asst. coach at LCM and a very good HC at WOS....and made very deep playoff runs with BC. Chris Fackler was a very successful Asst. Coach at McNeese St. and once given the HC duties broke numerous records offensively and took the Cowboys to the playoffs. Coach Griff over at LCM is the one setting the bar so high for all of the local HS programs with continuous playoff appearances and District titles.

So what I meant was as a young up and coming coach who wouldn't want to learn from these guys!!  OBVIOUSLY not 78stang!!!

Good Luck Shea, and how dare those other guys make a living on baseball!!!  lol

[quote name="77" post="1012887" timestamp="1305917075"]
[quote author=queenb77630 link=topic=84400.msg1012876#msg1012876 date=1305916006]
So you men/women think its okay for a coach/teacher to say such things in front of parents and young children?  [color=blue]I don't![/color]  If they feel the need to say such things to their players, then say it where no one but them can hear it!

I don't expect them (the coaches) to be all surgery sweet to the players; however, when they (the coaches) are in the presence of the parents (aka: supporters) and young children, WATCH YOUR MOUTH!

For whoever said my son deserved it: you are a real piece of work.  Just for the record my son did not play that game; he was sick.  I was still there though, supporting the kids.  Working the concession stand.  Buying the sodas.  Ordering the shirts to support the team.  As a matter of fact, it was the same day that I turned in the sponsorship money that I had collected for the baseball program.  [b][color=blue]Don't talk about what you don't know![/color][/b]I know Coach Rojas would get onto the players; however, I don't recall ever hearing him curse like that in public.  Practices yes, NOT in public for everyone to hear.

As far as Coach T; I loved him when he was my PE coach in high school and I would have been furious had he not been appointed as AD.  I think he will do a wonderful job.  He has the knowledge, expertise, and personality that just makes him such a wonderful man.  I'm sad to see Coach Hooks go; but couldn't ask for a better replacement.

[/quote]I dont think that kind of language should be used on the field ever but it happens and keeping your son off the team will only hurt one person and its not the coach.
[/quote]

Don't stand too close to the dugout . . . You may be surprised what kind of language your kid is hearing from his peers . . . don't think it starts in High School either . . . Pull your head from the sand and teach him to rise above, not run from what he hears around him.  If you've done [b]your[/b] job and set the proper example he should realize what is "right" and act accordingly.

[quote name="Pitch Count" post="1013635" timestamp="1306187493"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=84400.msg1012887#msg1012887 date=1305917075]
[quote author=queenb77630 link=topic=84400.msg1012876#msg1012876 date=1305916006]
So you men/women think its okay for a coach/teacher to say such things in front of parents and young children?  [color=blue]I don't![/color]  If they feel the need to say such things to their players, then say it where no one but them can hear it!

I don't expect them (the coaches) to be all surgery sweet to the players; however, when they (the coaches) are in the presence of the parents (aka: supporters) and young children, WATCH YOUR MOUTH!

For whoever said my son deserved it: you are a real piece of work.  Just for the record my son did not play that game; he was sick.  I was still there though, supporting the kids.  Working the concession stand.  Buying the sodas.  Ordering the shirts to support the team.  As a matter of fact, it was the same day that I turned in the sponsorship money that I had collected for the baseball program.  [b][color=blue]Don't talk about what you don't know![/color][/b]I know Coach Rojas would get onto the players; however, I don't recall ever hearing him curse like that in public.  Practices yes, NOT in public for everyone to hear.

As far as Coach T; I loved him when he was my PE coach in high school and I would have been furious had he not been appointed as AD.  I think he will do a wonderful job.  He has the knowledge, expertise, and personality that just makes him such a wonderful man.  I'm sad to see Coach Hooks go; but couldn't ask for a better replacement.

[/quote]I dont think that kind of language should be used on the field ever but it happens and keeping your son off the team will only hurt one person and its not the coach.
[/quote]

Don't stand too close to the dugout . . . You may be surprised what kind of language your kid is hearing from his peers . . . don't think it starts in High School either . . . Pull your head from the sand and teach him to rise above, not run from what he hears around him.  If you've done [b]your[/b] job and set the proper example he should realize what is "right" and act accordingly.
[/quote]

That may be the best post on this thread including mine.  ;D

Guest beechnut
[/quote]

If that is the case KEEP IT UP COACH

I'll start off by saying this,I don't have a dog in the fight,because we no longer live in the district,but being a former WO-S baseball player,I still try to keep up with Mustang baseball....I had the pleasure of being coached by Anderson,Nichols,Windham,and Ragsdale,and all though these men may have used some language that would've upset some momas, I was able to learn a great deal about baseball and about everyday life from these men,and now because of that I've been able to pass the things I learned on to my baseball and softball players......I know J.Riojas,and think the world of him,and would like to wish him Good Luck,and say congrats to Coach Landry!!!!WO-S will be O.K.,I also know some of the future Mustangs,and there is definately alot of baseball talent coming Landry's way.......

[quote name="Pitch Count" post="1013635" timestamp="1306187493"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=84400.msg1012887#msg1012887 date=1305917075]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Excellent post !

While I don't know Shea personally I have kown of him for years, having raised two kids in this community and I have never heard one negative statement about him. I know he comes from a family that loves baseball and he has been around quality baseball people. I personally wish the young man well and hope Shea can get the mustangs turned around. I think it would be great for Orange County if all the baseball teams were in the post season every year. 

[quote name="Bears" post="1013632" timestamp="1306186313"]
[color=red]Let me clarify for 78stang when I said Great coaches....did not say all time great coaches...that is reserved for only 2 I know and that would be Chuck Young and Ronnie Anderson[/color].

Now the resume before they decided to change their career path, Sam Moore was a very successful HS asst. coach at LCM and a very good HC at WOS....and made very deep playoff runs with BC. Chris Fackler was a very successful Asst. Coach at McNeese St. and once given the HC duties broke numerous records offensively and took the Cowboys to the playoffs. Coach Griff over at LCM is the one setting the bar so high for all of the local HS programs with continuous playoff appearances and District titles.

So what I meant was as a young up and coming coach who wouldn't want to learn from these guys!!  OBVIOUSLY not 78stang!!!

Good Luck Shea, and how dare those other guys make a living on baseball!!!  lol
[/quote]

Not sure Bears, but I think another guy is moving up on the list.  I believe Griff past one of those two guys this year in career wins. I could be mistaken, maybe someone smarter than me could confirm this.

Pitch Count hit the nail on the head!!  No matter what others around us are doing or saying, we as parents should take those opportunities to teach about right and wrong.  We all fall short, but quitting should not be an option!  When you allow them to quit, you have taught them just that...to quit, nothing else.  When you use the situation and talk to your kids, you produce character.  But again, we all fall short, for sure....myself included.  When you can't change a situation, you change the way you react to the situation and you will always be a Winner!

[quote name="retiredoldcoach" post="1013858" timestamp="1306267519"]
Anderson 444-222 in 24 seasons

Young was 532-369 in 33 seasons at one time and counting.  I think since retired.

Both inducted into Texas High School Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Griffin record at Little Cypress.  Not sure about any wins prior.

446-169 from 1994 through 2011 (18 seasons)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• Hold them accountable? Like here in Texas where we have, by any definition, the most conservative Speaker that we’ve ever had. He pushed through an abortion ban and border security measures, reduced school taxes, etc… and the people who put him in office are firing him for not being MAGA enough.    Every third commercial on TV is Trump (or somebody who supports Trump) calling Phelan a RINO and supporting an impotent replacement for the most powerful person in the House.    It’s 100% MAGA, and it’s 12000% stupid.    “oh, he didn’t do those things by himself” says everyone who doesn’t understand parliamentary procedure. 
    • @bullets13 not sure why it double posted the topic.. delete this one plz sir
    • Me personally I respect posters like @bullets13 @CardinalBacker they vote for a guy and can call out others in the party or the direction a party can be headed.... others on here fall "lockstep" with whatever happens and defend by all means is the mantra it seems... no need to call out names, it's probably you if your mad at this statement 🤣 
    • I recall prior to midterms the R's and the "red wave" would get America "back on track" etc.... they would end this and stop Biden from that blah blah blah, so what's the problem? It looks like a circus show from both sides and whoever can sit or stand with a straight face and defend it is a 🤡! Desantis would've been a slam dunk for the R's and he possibly would've got my vote... now they pick a guy who lost the popular vote twice lol (yeah I know that means nothing in grand scheme of things).. point being is the dude is highly unlikeable (I also know this doesn't matter) 👈🏾 just getting ahead of the deflectors... personally I hope the clown gets in there so ppl can see how ultra right the clown is trying to push America for... IF he wins in November you can bet he will be on a rampage for 4 years getting lil if anything done, will most likely spend his term for the same thing some of yall complain about daily, going after his opponents... but hey the D's do it right? So yeah it's cool if we do it SMH We're supposed to vote on policies etc while at the same time the person you vote for that made promises to change or fix this and that complains about his predecessor being the issue! It's all a joke What have R's done that's good for America since midterms?  What have D's done? And please leave your feelings out of this and be truthful if possible!
    • I recall prior to midterms the R's and the "red wave" would get America "back on track" etc.... they would end this and stop Biden from that blah blah blah, so what's the problem? It looks like a circus show from both sides and whoever can sit or stand with a straight face and defend it is a 🤡! Desantis would've been a slam dunk for the R's and he possibly would've got my vote... now they pick a guy who lost the popular vote twice lol (yeah I know that means nothing in grand scheme of things).. point being is the dude is highly unlikeable (I also know this doesn't matter) 👈🏾 just getting ahead of the deflectors... personally I hope the clown gets in there so ppl can see how ultra right the clown is trying to push America for... IF he wins in November you can bet he will be on a rampage for 4 years getting lil if anything done, will most likely spend his term for the same thing some of yall complain about daily, going after his opponents... but hey the D's do it right? So yeah it's cool if we do it SMH We're supposed to vote on policies etc while at the same time the person you vote for that made promises to change or fix this and that complains about his predecessor being the issue! It's all a joke What have R's done that's good for America since midterms?  What have D's done? And please leave your feelings out of this and be truthful if possible!
  • Topics