2 Pro-Bonders Fall!!

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="smitty" post="1018530" timestamp="1308091239"]
Let me ask you one thing:  Did you figure out what your cost of the bond would have been and every year sent NISD a check for that amount?  We'll wait for your response!!     :-\
[/quote]

Why would I send NISD a check every year when a bond wasn't passed? [b]I will gladly send a check when a bond passes.[/b] According to my awesome cellphone calculator I'm showing a little over 3,000. Whats your point? I'm not going to cut programs that are valuable to students and their education to fix window units so I'm not following you. I want a student facility overhaul and I'm not talking about turf and a scoreboard. I've answered your question once again.

I eagerly await your enlightening reply.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You, like many, are missing the point.  If it's such a critical need and you are truly concerned then you would do YOUR part by sending your part of the bond money.  Talking the talk but not walking the walk!      ::)

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1018537" timestamp="1308093111"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1018530#msg1018530 date=1308091239]
Let me ask you one thing:  Did you figure out what your cost of the bond would have been and every year sent NISD a check for that amount?  We'll wait for your response!!     :-\
[/quote]

Why would I send NISD a check every year when a bond wasn't passed? [b]I will gladly send a check when a bond passes.[/b] According to my awesome cellphone calculator I'm showing a little over 3,000. Whats your point? I'm not going to cut programs that are valuable to students and their education to fix window units so I'm not following you. I want a student facility overhaul and I'm not talking about turf and a scoreboard. I've answered your question once again.

[/quote]

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="smitty" post="1018542" timestamp="1308095773"]
You, like many, are missing the point.  If it's such a critical need and you are truly concerned then you would do YOUR part by sending your part of the bond money.  Talking the talk but not walking the walk!      ::)
[/quote]

Lol...this is the worst you have yet to reply with. Sending one check in doesn't solve anything. Typical small minded thinking you are repeatedly guilty of. Like I said I will gladly send a check when the bond is passed.

NHS, all smitty has is talking points, not solutions. If he was as enlightened as he would want us to believe then he would know that they have cut the budget nearly 4 mil in the  last several years. Remember it's not about education he just uses that to keep from the truth, it's all about assets. Taxes have gone down, the budget has been cut and he will never admit it's enough because the leader of the CARE group is all about the collapse of public education that's their real goal! They talk trash to keep from the real truth, if there is one dollar in the bond for sports they will say they will not vote because they don't want to fund sports when education is needed. If you remove all the sports funds they they will claim it's not the right time because of the recession. If business is good then it will be something else because there will never be a good time for these folks.

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="True Blue" post="1018568" timestamp="1308111298"]
Maybe Smitty and his Tea Party.. AKA (KKK) members can hire Sarah Palin to teach history at Nederland, Because that all she can say is cut Taxes, and she just makes up the history as she goes.
[/quote]

Cutting federal and city taxes are two totally different things. A city bond that raises taxes brings real results almost immediately.

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1018584" timestamp="1308137580"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=84302.msg1018568#msg1018568 date=1308111298]
Maybe Smitty and his Tea Party.. AKA (KKK) members can hire Sarah Palin to teach history at Nederland, Because that all she can say is cut Taxes, and she just makes up the history as she goes.
[/quote]

Cutting federal and city taxes are two totally different things. A city bond that raises taxes brings real results almost immediately.
[/quote] The Results may take alittle longer ,but the Tax cuts given by the Rep party Slick Rick, have the same results every time. Not enough money to play the bills at the end. The gas companys made a 30 billion$ proffet last year and they still get Tax cuts and Tax ensentives  when our schools are falling down and every school dist. is having to lay off teachers. But Just keep Voting for the party of the rich, and we will nolonger need schools.

[quote name="smitty" post="1018542" timestamp="1308095773"]

[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1018537#msg1018537 date=1308093111]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1018530#msg1018530 date=1308091239]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Silly silly silly. Even you know that nothing can be accomplished without collective resources. One person's check solves nothing.

[quote name="smitty" post="1018531" timestamp="1308091446"]
So, there hasn't been any cuts.  I think you just admitted to that.  So you take the easy solution and just raise taxes!!  No guts there!!    ;)

[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=84302.msg1018108#msg1018108 date=1307925906]
Smitty  30 + years of no new schools is a real big cut ,sacrifice or is it you do not have any facts to back up your bullsht. Everyone on here including people from other schools have shown that Nederland is in need of new facilities. The poor shape of the schools speak for them selves no disputing that. is it as you call it keeping up with the jones that our schools are in the shape they are. No throwing millions on repairs for a couple more years of life is not the answer. That would be like givn you a facelift but still the same bullsht keeps comn out and you wont live no longer. They have served thier just time and the citzens have got thier moneys worth for sure. I know nothing will change your outlook but I am reall interested in where you think cuts can be made ,specific cuts, and the dollar values of those cuts. I have yet in all the bullsht you tell any solutions. Give them to us so I can see where they can be made. I hope you can answer this truly without answering with a question. Try really hard please. I think our kids deserve the best no matter what. One day they may be the kids who decide what goes on in your life.
[/quote]
[/quote]

As someone else posted, they have made budget cuts. This past year they reduced payroll by attrition, departure incentives and nonrenewal of some probationary comntracts. (among other things)

[quote name="True Blue" post="1018667" timestamp="1308162381"]
[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1018584#msg1018584 date=1308137580]
[/quote]

[/quote] The Results may take alittle longer ,but the Tax cuts given by the Rep party Slick Rick, have the same results every time. Not enough money to play the bills at the end. The gas companys made a 30 billion$ proffet last year and they still get Tax cuts and Tax ensentives  when our schools are falling down and every school dist. is having to lay off teachers. But Just keep Voting for the party of the rich, and we will nolonger need schools.
[/quote]

Because Lord knows that the other party is doing a great job at the national level. ::)

The national economy is in the tank while the Texas economy continues to grow. Those darn Republicans! ;D

Back on topic... Nederland's schools suck and smitty is crazy. ;) ;D

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1018685" timestamp="1308167379"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=84302.msg1018667#msg1018667 date=1308162381]
[/quote]

[/quote] The Results may take alittle longer ,but the Tax cuts given by the Rep party Slick Rick, have the same results every time. Not enough money to play the bills at the end. The gas companys made a 30 billion$ proffet last year and they still get Tax cuts and Tax ensentives  when our schools are falling down and every school dist. is having to lay off teachers. But Just keep Voting for the party of the rich, and we will nolonger need schools.
[/quote]

Because Lord knows that the other party is doing a great job at the national level. ::)

The national economy is in the tank while the Texas economy continues to grow. Those darn Republicans! ;D

[/quote] Yea the Texas economy is doing so good that we are having to lay off 30% of the school teachers because we have no money...  I guess we need to give the top 1% another Tax break and the Reagon Trickel down will finialy make it down here :D :D I love the Tea you fools are drinking, And I dont think GOD ARE THE LORD has any say in the matter. In 8 yrs YOUR George took this country from a surplus to the largest  deficiency this country has ever known by giving giving the top 1% their tax cuts. And Slick is doing the same thing to TEXAS. I know that know one is teaching history but for those that were around, When Clinton razed taxed this country grew and prospered and unemployment went down, and when Bush cut taxes we went to  sh1T and lost more jobs than any time in history.. And all you can say is that he got a blow job. If anyone could get this country out of the Sh1T we're in now I would not care if they got one every day on the white house lawn.

[quote name="True Blue" post="1018691" timestamp="1308168834"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1018685#msg1018685 date=1308167379]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=84302.msg1018667#msg1018667 date=1308162381]
[/quote]

[/quote] The Results may take alittle longer ,but the Tax cuts given by the Rep party Slick Rick, have the same results every time. Not enough money to play the bills at the end. The gas companys made a 30 billion$ proffet last year and they still get Tax cuts and Tax ensentives  when our schools are falling down and every school dist. is having to lay off teachers. But Just keep Voting for the party of the rich, and we will nolonger need schools.
[/quote]

[/quote] Yea the Texas economy is doing so good that we are having to lay off 30% of the school teachers because we have no money...  I guess we need to give the top 1% another Tax break and the Reagon Trickel down will finialy make it down here :D :D I love the Tea you fools are drinking, And I dont think GOD ARE THE LORD has any say in the matter. In 8 yrs YOUR George took this country from a surplus to the largest  deficiency this country has ever known by giving giving the top 1% their tax cuts. And Slick is doing the same thing to TEXAS. I know that know one is teaching history but for those that were around, When Clinton razed taxed this country grew and prospered and unemployment went down, and when Bush cut taxes we went to  sh1T and lost more jobs than any time in history.. And all you can say is that he got a blow job. If anyone could get this country out of the Sh1T we're in now I would not care if they got one every day on the white house lawn.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware of any recently publicized sexual acts aside from Congressman Weiner's. Have I missed something?

If you want to talk about deficits and debt, I suggest you stop blaming President Bush and start looking at President Obama. President Obama's deficit in his first term greatly outweighs the deficits of any other single term of any other presidency in US history. I would also suggest looking up the congressional "power of the purse" and the explosive increase in the US deficit following the Democrats' takeover of Congress in November of 2006. Furthermore, if President Bush's tax cuts were the cause of the economic collapse this nation suffered in 2008 as you say they are, why didn't it immediately follow the cuts when they were issued in 2001? Also, why were economic conditions favorable in the years following those cuts leading up to 2008?

I would also suggest looking up the causes of the growth in sub-prime lending, as they aren't as one-sided as some have been led to believe. That growth resulted from diversity requirements imposed on lending institutions by various congressional actions over the last twenty years. When the Bush administration-run Department of Housing & Urban Development highlighted this problem in 2003 and 2007 and pushed for reform, Congress did nothing.

You can say what you want about Governor Perry. I have stated multiple times that what he has done to this state in terms of education and insurance is an outrage. However, there is no doubt that Texas has fared the current economic situation far better than any other state. In fact, it is well known that Texas is the only state that showed net economic growth in 2009. This is in no small part thanks to the conservative leadership displayed by Governor Perry and a Republican-dominated state legislature. In addition, as bad as the cuts are now, they would no doubt be worse if it were not for the state's "rainy day fund," which was instituted by the same conservative leadership.

You can also say what you want about "trickle down" economics. I'll let 21 million jobs created between 1981 and 1989 speak for themselves.

With that said, this thread's topic is the condition of Nederland's schools, the makeup of the Nederland ISD school board, and the possibility of another Nederland ISD bond proposal. Any discussions regarding the national or state political scenes should take place in another thread. If you would like to carry on that debate, I suggest visiting the Southeast Texas Locker Room forum (located near the bottom of the main page); you will be presented with many opportunities to do so.

When a bond passes you have no choice but to pay the tax.  A true believer would figure what his portion would have been and send that amount.  But since you haven't that means you are really not that concerned.  That's the reason you have no answers but to raise everyone's taxes.  Pass the bond and I'll pay the taxes.  Wow! That's brilliant!!  ;)

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1018544" timestamp="1308096299"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1018542#msg1018542 date=1308095773]
[/quote]

Lol...this is the worst you have yet to reply with. Sending one check in doesn't solve anything. Typical small minded thinking you are repeatedly guilty of. Like I said I will gladly send a check when the bond is passed.
[/quote]

I've already stated a few.  I can, and will, name some more.  I just first need to know the diversity of thought from the pro-bonders.  All I'm getting so far is one trick pony's.  But I need to from you.  In this financial crisis, do you support touching extra-curricular activities? 

[quote name="James Mosley" post="1018533" timestamp="1308092957"]
Smitty
Can you give me, or us, 5 things you would cut that would solve all of Nederlands problems? Cut's that would put Nederland in a class by itself as a district leader. Simple 5
Waiting!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Just for the sake of repetition let me say it one more time, not for you smitty because you refuse to accept facts, when you can believe fiction. If the bond would have passed, taxes would have been lowered. Do you like higher taxes? If you do just keep doing what we are doing and you are going to pay higher taxes no doubt about it.

Guest Brubaker
[quote name="smitty" post="1018713" timestamp="1308178908"]
I've already stated a few.  I can, and will, name some more.  I just first need to know the diversity of thought from the pro-bonders.  All I'm getting so far is one trick pony's.  But I need to from you.  In this financial crisis, do you support touching extra-curricular activities? 

[quote author=James Mosley link=topic=84302.msg1018533#msg1018533 date=1308092957]
Smitty
Can you give me, or us, 5 things you would cut that would solve all of Nederlands problems? Cut's that would put Nederland in a class by itself as a district leader. Simple 5
Waiting!!!!!!!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Jardell, football coach took an administration position, he has not been backfilled.  Yeaman, softball coach to my knowledge has not been replaced after stepping down.  Charter bus expense along with travel budgets have been slashed as well.  I know these facts are tough to deal with Smitty, but here are some of the measures that an outsider is aware of, I'm sure there are more.  Fact remains, as painful as these cuts are to endure, they DO NOT make a DENT in the monies necessary to do what needs to be done.  Again, I want you to answer Dawgnut.  He is right, the bond would've lowered taxes.  I know that's hard for your narrow mind to comprehend., but that is afact, you go do your homework like you always tell us to do, and get  back to us.  I beleive it more everyday, like Penny said, YOU CAN't FIX STUPID.  Drop the act, and answer this question, but it will require you to put the kool aid down and drop the talking points.  The math as difficult as it may  be for some, is pretty simple. 

Somebody's gotta pay for the bonds!  Our taxes with the NISD would NOT be lower!!  Nice try...

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1018734" timestamp="1308194143"]
Just for the sake of repetition let me say it one more time, not for you smitty because you refuse to accept facts, when you can believe fiction. If the bond would have passed, taxes would have been lowered. Do you like higher taxes? If you do just keep doing what we are doing and you are going to pay higher taxes no doubt about it.
[/quote]

How have what you have stated be considered painful?  A small cut here, a small cut there.  Maybe a dent.  But pretty soon it adds up.  The point is, NISD will survive these.  So the other point is -- why were not they done along time ago?  Humm???  It's amazing the cuts that can be made and will never be missed. 

[quote name="Brubaker" post="1018736" timestamp="1308195367"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1018713#msg1018713 date=1308178908]

[quote author=James Mosley link=topic=84302.msg1018533#msg1018533 date=1308092957]
Smitty
Waiting!!!!!!!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Jardell, football coach took an administration position, he has not been backfilled.  Yeaman, softball coach to my knowledge has not been replaced after stepping down.  Charter bus expense along with travel budgets have been slashed as well.  I know these facts are tough to deal with Smitty, but here are some of the measures that an outsider is aware of, I'm sure there are more.  Fact remains, as painful as these cuts are to endure, they DO NOT make a DENT in the monies necessary to do what needs to be done.  Again, I want you to answer Dawgnut.  He is right, the bond would've lowered taxes.  I know that's hard for your narrow mind to comprehend., but that is afact, you go do your homework like you always tell us to do, and get  back to us.  I beleive it more everyday, like Penny said, YOU CAN't FIX STUPID.  Drop the act, and answer this question, but it will require you to put the kool aid down and drop the talking points.  The math as difficult as it may  be for some, is pretty simple. 
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1018755" timestamp="1308214041"]
How have what you have stated be considered painful?  A small cut here, a small cut there.  Maybe a dent.  But pretty soon it adds up.  The point is, NISD will survive these.  So the other point is -- why were not they done along time ago?  Humm???  [b]It's amazing the cuts that can be made and will never be missed[/b]. 

[quote author=Brubaker link=topic=84302.msg1018736#msg1018736 date=1308195367]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1018713#msg1018713 date=1308178908]

Smitty
Waiting!!!!!!!
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Nobody said they wouldn't be missed. They're just neccessary in budget cruch time.

Smitty, your view of education is skewed. It’s not all about reduced spending. Sadly, districts have had to become competitive for student enrollment for operating funds. Anything they can do to attract and maintain enrollment and attendance is necessary to just to maintain state funding. Cutting many of the programs you propose will result in a loss of enrollment which results in a lack of funds. It’s counter productive. Kinda like McDonalds cutting fries from the menu to reducing costs.

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="mat" post="1018761" timestamp="1308227960"]
Smitty, your view of education is skewed. It’s not all about reduced spending. Sadly, districts have had to become competitive for student enrollment for operating funds. Anything they can do to attract and maintain enrollment and attendance is necessary to just to maintain state funding. Cutting many of the programs you propose will result in a loss of enrollment which results in a lack of funds. It’s counter productive. Kinda like McDonalds cutting fries from the menu to reducing costs.
[/quote]

Mat you're making too much sense. Hush and drink the tea.

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="smitty" post="1018712" timestamp="1308178573"]
When a bond passes you have no choice but to pay the tax.  A true believer would figure what his portion would have been and send that amount.  But since you haven't that means you are really not that concerned.  That's the reason you have no answers but to raise everyone's taxes.  Pass the bond and I'll pay the taxes.  Wow! That's brilliant!!   ;)

[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1018544#msg1018544 date=1308096299]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1018542#msg1018542 date=1308095773]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[i]"A true believer would figure what his portion would have been and send that amount."[/i] - This isn't church smitty. I don't tithe to the city of nederland because I believe in building new schools. I've stated my "portion" and said twice I will be happy to pay it once the bond is passed.

Your beliefs differ from everyone else on this thread because you propose cuts to the athletic budget....which has nothing to do with a bond. So right off the bat your argument doesn't even match your thread title. You propose cuts to extra-curriculars to only maintain facilities. Everyone else on this thread IS NOT TALKING ABOUT MAINTAINING. Lets repeat that. Everyone else on this thread IS NOT TALKING ABOUT MAINTAINING. If I spray perfume on a turd...it will still smell...and look...like a turd. They are talking about building new facilities (schools) for our students through a bond. I realize your reply will ultimately suck in nature but once again I eagerly await it.

It has already been said that spending has been reduced in various departments and that we have not had to let any teachers go. Maybe with this reduced spending we can hire a maintenance worker to please your soul. Please reply with a relevant and intelligent post and not JUST a question.

I have a feeling that Smitty is in Austin working to "fix the budget".  I just got this email from a teacher organization, and if it passes you will not need to worry about passing a bond.  There will not be anyone to teach the kids.

Here is a synopsis of the bills:

Here is how [b]Senate Bill 8[/b] would hurt teachers and public schools:

Cuts teacher salaries in two ways:

Allows districts to order furloughs of teachers and administrators for as many as six non-instructional days and reduce salaries accordingly.

Permanently repeals the 2009 salary floor for returning teachers. This would allow districts to reduce pay for all teachers.

Freezes the state minimum salary schedule at 2010-11 levels.

Changes the deadline for notification of contract non-renewal from the 45th day before the end of instruction to the last day on which spring standardized tests can be administered. The same change applies to notification of termination of probationary teachers. This would give laid-off teachers less time to find jobs for the next school year.

Allows school districts to declare financial emergencies for purposes of imposing reductions in force at any time and eliminates seniority as a factor in determining dismissals when RIFs are implemented.

Repeals a terminated teacher’s right to a hearing before an independent hearing officer.

Adds another provision for districts to seek a waiver from the 22-1 class size cap for K-4.

[b]And then HB 17:[/b]

House Bill 17 by Rep. Bill Callegari of Houston, which also is on Thursday’s House calendar, would repeal the state minimum salary schedule for teachers, counselors, nurses and librarians. This would allow districts to set their own pay levels for all teachers, as long as they are paid $27,320.

Read into that that a 20 year teacher could be paid $27,320.  WOW!

Is that responsible?

As I can see it, Smitty and the legislature is against [b]KIDS, TEACHERS[/b] and [b]SCHOOLS.[/b]

Perception is reality.  I feel sorry for the students and residents of Nederland with people like this fighting against you.  To me the CARE stance is one of irresponsibility and selfishness.  The kids you educate today, are being prepared for jobs that do not even exist yet. 

It makes me mad, when someone who has already reaped the benefits of an education, refuses to pay it forward and educate the next generation.

[quote name="shermdog" post="1018814" timestamp="1308240915"]

I have a feeling that Smitty is in Austin working to "fix the budget".  I just got this email from a teacher organization, and if it passes you will not need to worry about passing a bond.  There will not be anyone to teach the kids.

Here is a synopsis of the bills:

Here is how [b]Senate Bill 8[/b] would hurt teachers and public schools:

Cuts teacher salaries in two ways:

Allows districts to order furloughs of teachers and administrators for as many as six non-instructional days and reduce salaries accordingly.

Permanently repeals the 2009 salary floor for returning teachers. This would allow districts to reduce pay for all teachers.

Freezes the state minimum salary schedule at 2010-11 levels.

Changes the deadline for notification of contract non-renewal from the 45th day before the end of instruction to the last day on which spring standardized tests can be administered. The same change applies to notification of termination of probationary teachers. This would give laid-off teachers less time to find jobs for the next school year.

Allows school districts to declare financial emergencies for purposes of imposing reductions in force at any time and eliminates seniority as a factor in determining dismissals when RIFs are implemented.

Repeals a terminated teacher’s right to a hearing before an independent hearing officer.

Adds another provision for districts to seek a waiver from the 22-1 class size cap for K-4.

[b]And then HB 17:[/b]

House Bill 17 by Rep. Bill Callegari of Houston, which also is on Thursday’s House calendar, would repeal the state minimum salary schedule for teachers, counselors, nurses and librarians. This would allow districts to set their own pay levels for all teachers, as long as they are paid $27,320.

Read into that that a 20 year teacher could be paid $27,320.  WOW!

Is that responsible?

As I can see it, Smitty and the legislature is against [b]KIDS, TEACHERS[/b] and [b]SCHOOLS.[/b]

Perception is reality.  I feel sorry for the students and residents of Nederland with people like this fighting against you.  To me the CARE stance is one of irresponsibility and selfishness.  The kids you educate today, are being prepared for jobs that do not even exist yet. 

It makes me mad, when someone who has already reaped the benefits of an education, refuses to pay it forward and educate the next generation.

[/quote]

It's disturbing to know some of the Bills/ideas that are floating around but it is too soon to get worked up about the details because not all of it has a chance to pass. At least I hope not.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder