Todays Ballplayer - Todays Coaches

I'd enjoy reading and getting insight on what the avg fan thinks the expectations should be of a baseball player in 2011 and what the expectations should be of todays coaches with the resources they are given at these local programs.

It appears when I read the threads on the site, and more often, many express some forms of disappointment, pass judgements and opinions towards the staffs who supervise and teach these young men....
I've read about coaches not executing proper 'X's n O's", the kids should "just have fun", programs not developing underclassman properly, "individual favoritsim", not making quality pitching changes, not overseeing pitch counts, not making "proper moves" in a game, and so on...

So, those who post "often" please place your values-expectations on both the player and coaches from area schools.
And please, dont list a specific player or coaches name, this isn't about "attacking" someone publicly, its about feeling the pulse of the average fan and gaining insight on the the expectations of a "team" player's "personal initiatives to improve his knowledge, work habits, and character and the expectations on the coaches to display the best format to achieve success, all coming from a "fans" perspective.

Also, sign your name on the post if you will, since these coaches are "put out there" at the grass roots level and seem to get "public attention" for their downfalls, lets teach these young men who read these threads, it isnt "acceptable" to attack others publicly without assuming some sense of "accountability" on the "posters" part...

Once again, just wanting to know what the "public" thinks about the part the player should play and what the coach is expected to give each day...

Fackler

Well, I don't know that I am going to provide what you are looking for, Chris.  Because the disturbing part of what I have seen here I really can't apportion to either coach or player, so I'll just list it as a "team error."  In fact, the what has disturbed me has been in the increased presence of the "error" in large numbers in far too many box scores this year.  When I was playing ball, at any point past Little League, three errors in a game were cause for alarm, disciplinary action and days worth of fielding drills in practice.

However, 5, 6, even 7, errors in high school ballgames seem to have become commonplace this year.  And this is not just amongst "lower tier" high school teams but amongst the better ones as well.  I don't know where the breakdowns have occurred, but they are present.

Todd Broussard

I agree I was listening in on a lesson this evening when statement was made that used to when you screwed up your coach would make you run gassers til you threw up.If your coach did that now he would be in front of school board trying to save his job,when what he was trying to do was show you that there is a cause and effect to everything you do.I think we have dumbed down our kids so much we dont think they can handle the mental part of the game.                                                           

Pat Laird                                             

It is simple ..This site gives a easy out for parents to complain about little Jhonny not getting enough playing time and the kid he grew up with that plays the same postion making errows ... most of the time parents are jealous of what another kid has worked so hard for..It then  boils down to being the coaches fault ..not the parents fault who was to busy to get in the back yard and play a little ball with their kids 5 "R" 6 years ago...Its easy when you can hide behind a screen name ...Me...I dont mind seeing my son put in check by a coach "SELECT "R" HIGH SCHOOL" if he needs it ...Run the daylights out of him...Break a few FUNGOS  get his heart  right..People do not see the big picture ..A coach is not only a teacher of sports but a teacher of life ...What does not kill you will make you stronger.... And yes I do get pissed off at coaches at least once a week..That is getting cought up in the moment..But every coach and X -coach know who I am (BUBBA SONNIER) not hiding who I am..I guess the way I feel about it Chris.. is that 90% of the time its the parents... not the way the players play and the coaches coach...Its no different then it was  15years ago..GO DOGS ..Bubba Sonnier ;)

Couldn't decide whether or not to post about this or not.. But decided to. It's pretty simple.. When it comes to high school baseball, I've realized most parents still think it's "little league" and that their kid should be playing no matter what. Regardless of how much extra work the other guy puts in.. And if that doesn't happen, a phone call to the school board will probably be made. Or at the very least, the coach will usually get an ear full from that particular parent. What I expect from a coach is for that coach to ignore whatever parents, and deal with the "BS" that the parents typically bring to the table. (I'm not saying this is every parent, I know some VERY good parents that know what's best and are smart and let the coach do his job.. But everyone knows not every parent is that way.) Coaches should do their job, regardless of what parents say.. And a good school board will realize that it's just a parent blowing smoke and not a coach doing a bad job. A good coach should teach the game of life before anything, and then focus on baseball. I've been lucky enough to have some great coaches, and you best believe that "punishment" from mistakes only makes you work harder and overcome. People need to realize that in life you are punished for your mistakes, so when a coach punishes you on the ball field.. He's just trying to make sure you never make that mistake over because he cares and wants you to succeed. Coaches are fighting for their job every day... Why would they do something that [b]wouldn't[/b] help you succeed? That's my take on Today's coaches..

Tyler Wilson

Chris, nice topic. You know I'm old school. Bring back the days the dugout was cleaned spotless before you left. Kids said yes sir, no sir. Urinals were flushed. All kids dressed out for P.E.. Hats were worn correctly. The paddle was not a oar but a punishment. You sprinted out on the field. Kids actually worked on the Field. Ballplayers after going 0-4 for the night were hitting 200 balls off a Tee after the game on their on.
Agreed most the problems stem from parenting. The other day i heard a Coach tell a 8th grader something and the kids response was " What " , the Coach said " Sir " to him 3 times, the kid had no clue what the Coach was talking about.
The baseball part, i seen this coming last year and it's only going to get worst. The little league parents are taking there little league attitude to a High School Baseball Game. Little Johnny does not bat in the 3 hole and play S/S their pissed. What they don't see is Little Johnny is struggling and left 4 rbi's on the field last night, he refuse to get the bunt down because Little Johnny don't bunt he swings for the fences and he refuses to hit the ball the other way because Little Johnny is a dead red pull hitter. The big picture of how a Baseball Game works is totally out of their grasp. My favorite is Jimmy cost us the game cause he struck out in the 7th with the bases loaded in a 1 run game. High School games are 7 innings long, lots of things happen during those 7 innings that have a big impact on the game.
2 High School Coaches at the Varsity level is a joke. There is no way Little Johnny is going to get the instruction or looks he needs. Better be ready before tryouts start, months ahead ready or your not going to get seen. 1 Coach on J.V. , 1 on Soph. , really that going to get Little Johnny the help he needs?
Think about working all day in the hot sun, getting off work and going to baseball practice hitting 1 hour of Fungo and throwing 1 hour of B.P., while your at it mix in a little supervision of some Bullpen Action. Yea fun, fun, next up Little Johnny's mother wants a piece of you after practice because her babies on the bench. You want some of that apply at your local School District, o yeah, make sure you have a Teacher Certificate you gotta have that too.
I had the honor of sitting on a bucket one year next to Chris, learned a lot. Thanks, Danny Bellow

The coach has to be the leader of the team. First, he is responsible for the safety of his players. This mostly comes into play with pitch counts. A coach can't risk ruining a players career because he needs 3 more outs. Also he shouldn't rush a player back from injury before he is ready. These guys are way to young and have way to many good things in life ahead of them. Second, the coach has to do whatever it takes to win, as long as the players are safe and he follows the rules of the game. After all, this is his job. Not a hobby. He has to keep his job so he can provide for his family and his lively hood. Winning is how that is done. Very very few coaches are fired if they win and follow the rules.

Before I get to the players I want to address the parents. I get that you are entitled to your opinion, and a lot of the time that opinion is dislike for the coach. However, you are not entitled to go and try go get a coach fired because your son isn't playing enough. I recommend talking to the coach about it but don't go trying to ruin the mans career. This is how he provides for his family! I suggest you tell your son to work his butt off until he is head and shoulders above his peers and the coach has no choice but to play him. I guarantee the coach won't bench him just because he doesn't like him. If the kid plays the game right, and can help win games the coach won't intentionally keep him on the bench.

Lastly, the players have to have respect. You are the player. The bottom of the totem pole. Respect your coaches. They must work hard. I understand they are kids and lots of priorities. But you made a commitment to your team so while you are at games and practices work your butt off. You don't have to put in all the extra after practice hours, but if you don't, do not get mad when another player becomes better than you and you are now riding the pine.

Okay. Sorry, I'm off my soap box now.

It is simple in my eyes:

The player is expected to give his coach his best, day in day out with respect, hard work and determination. He is expected to support his teammates and never take a play off. When his teammate is down, lift him up. Show the umps and opposing teams respect yet also be focused on your team first.

The coach is expected to put the players in position to win each game and to treat the kids with respect. A coach can ride a kid all day long without doing it the wrong ways. Set proper schedule of practices and always have the kids health in mind. You can't worry about parents. Play the best 9 each day to win and treat each kid the same, no matter the HR total or batting avg. Teach the kids a life lesson each day through this sport.

Parent, your role is of course to support your son but also to support the team.  That means not sitting in the stands creating negativity by bashing another player on the team or the coaching staff.  You should get fired up and cheer for everyone on the team as hearing the crowd gets the players fired up and playing harder.  You should support what the coach is teaching your son and not tell them not to listen to the coach because you know better.  The coach needs his players to buy into what he is teaching and if you want your son to play, he better do things his coach's way.  If a coach disciplines your son, you should use this a chance to help reinforce a life lesson to your son and not bash the coach because that will teach your son to buck authority.  It is important for a coach to have parental support so that he can focus on the job of teaching baseball and so that the team can have good chemistry, because chemistry is very underrated.

Player, your role is to be a sponge and soak up whatever your coach is teaching.  Because if you do things his way, it will not go unnoticed.  Look him in the eyes and say yes sir/no sir.  Hustle at all times and set an example on the practice field, because the practice field is where 99% of coaching takes place.  Get to practice early and stay late.  If your coach gives you criticism, understand that he is trying to help you.  Instead of getting your feelings hurt, learn from what your coach is trying to tell you and change what you are doing wrong.  Support your teammates and if you are on the bench, DO NOT COMPLAIN and create a bad atmosphere on the bench.  This can be a cancer for the team and will really anger your coach.  That is the quickest way to earn a permanent spot on the bench.  the coach loves a player that will sit on the bench and not complain and cheer on his teammates from the bench.  THAT PLAYER will find his way onto the field and into his coach's heart.  And most importantly player, if you want to get better, practice outside of practice on your own.  A coach can never get all of the work done that he needs to do, you have to do some on your own.
I wont go into a coach's role as I've posted too much already.    

Jason Sawvel

An email you should be all to familair with coach...

I am fortunate enough to use my knowledge in baseball as an avenue. or a tool if you will, to develop life skills needed to be generally successful in life, as these kids grow older. They are all faced with an endless amount of obstacles, as life has thrown at all of us during the journey we have all traveled, yet NEVER EVER should there be Roadblocks for your child, and this is what I want to address.

Obstacles are Temporary, Roadblocks are Permanent. Ill say that again, Obstacles are Temporary, Roadblocks are Permanent. Obstacles are part of the process, we find ways to work through them regardless of what time and how far along the journey for which they appear. Roadblocks however, should Never surface, the words of a child to say "I cant & I wont", should never be words spoken when children are in their developmental years.

We as parents, teachers, and coaches, need to develop a sense of toughness to teach these kids to adjust, veer around, dive under, jump over, and push through those obstacles that ly ahead.
See, Roadblocks exists in life Only if we've failed at developing the knowledge with no abilities to adjust, and you can only make adjustments in life if we have enhanced and broadened our children's knowledge, to have alternative ideas, and try to get to the finish line with another new creative route to attain that goal.

The same script as we've all heard time and time again so applies to developing good hard working, dignified kids... Hard work, dedication, set goals, attain goals, be polite, be a good citizen and so on...
I truly believe if these aspects aren't shown in the home, parents taking time to improve themselves as a parent, realising they are the "Mirror for which their children constantly Reflect", then I feel the learning curve has too many road blocks which stand in these young children's way and then they begin to become discouraged and at times quit!. You must have your children know, to get around obstacles in life, KNOWLEDGE is the ONLY key to adjusting and moving forward, and with that being said, who better to increase knowledge in these children than the parent or parents at home.

I see today too many parents wanting to remain "cool" and be their child's "friend", and yes I can understand that in a small sense for it makes it easier on developing a level of communication so a child may open up to discuss things, but I do feel those who approach it in that light end up with discipline issues as these kids grow older. Be a leader, and role model, a shoulder for support or provider of knowledge with your children. Don't slip up on the approach used towards your kids, by "being cool". You should stay firm and consistent with your children. Some seem to call this "Tough Love" but ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS tell your children you Love them and that you and the family will ALWAYS be the ones who are there for them when the dust settles. You make it a point, whether through success or failure,. your support must be consistent with love and sincerity.

If your kids aren't improving themselves with an "intent and purpose" achieving things with self-pride with passion, then don't expect them to excel at their craft; sports, the classroom, nor improving their social skills....Just Showing Up isn't good enough at enhancing themselves, Keep Raising the bar, don't settle for complacency while sitting idle, for tomorrow directly exposes the results of how well you did today.... The world is competitive, teach your children that now, to EARN things through consistent work, with an Intent to do it with class and integrity, and for all of those who work with an insecure grudge, or with an Expectation to get back or even with someone, they Will NEVER get ahead of them!......

I’m not a highly intelligent man, took me 20 years to earn my college degree. I imagine if I didn’t proof-read this, I’ll have more typo’s than most 6th grade grammar students. Yet I can only hope this will carry some relevance and make each of you think if only just for a second, to analyze your own impression and the impact you personally make towards your own son or daughter.

See I’m fortunate to travel this region of the U.S. as well as the country at times. I meet and greet people from all walks of life. I am blessed to spend time talking to professional baseball scouts, college baseball recruiters and coaches, many on many high school coaches, doctors, lawyers, engineers, school teachers, plant workers, waitresses, cooks, and more…and one common aspect for which they all carry within, is they want what’s BEST for their child. I don’t think I have ever met a parent who said, I want all the worst things in life to occur and happen to my son or daughter. I truly want to see him or her fail. That isn’t even an option. So with this being said, I want to give an example of something I saw recently that made me scratch my head and hope it puts some things in perspective for you as a parent.

True Story,
I attended a local complex for a typical weekend select baseball tournament for youth players 8-12yrs of age. I’m standing down the left field line along the fence of one of the games being played. As I’m standing there, I turn to look and in walks through the main gate, a 12 year old kid, in a beautiful tackle-twill jersey top uniform, no elastic in pants, looped over his cleats, in his hands he has a cell phone and he is texting away fingers speeding through the query to someone. Now get this, walking directly behind him is his father, The dad is dragging behind him, handle in hand, the young 12 yr olds bat bag, and this bat bag even had wheels similar to the luggage we see many use at the airport when traveling. So my curiosity began to get to me. I had to go over to the parent an introduced myself , talked to the parent and kid, told them who I was and what I do, and asked him, “Hey kiddo, what’s in the bat bag”…This 12yr old had within in this bag is a $350 bat, $200glove, $40batting gloves, $60helmet painted with his name on it, and 2 extra practice bats.

See we now live in a day n age where by there has now become a fine line between ‘Expectation and Appreciation” amongst American Children. Numerous Kids EXPECT things rather than EARN things. As I previously stated, I talk to college coaches practically daily and across the country many have had to change their recruiting tactics to make sure they supply, 2 caps, 3 jerseys, pants with no elastic, all tackle twill tops, dry-fit T-shirts, locker rooms with personal lockers n stools as well as flat screen TV’s on the walls with ESPN or Fox Sports. I’m amazed at what we have become. And yet these coaches still find a way to get kids to dig down and find that competitive edge, but it’s the “response to failure” is what concerns me. Are these kids individually tough enough and been raised properly to fight through those obstacles that ly ahead with independence and internal strength.

We are blessed to live in the USA and Baseball is America’s Pastime. To show proof how long its impact has been in the U-S, When General Custer in 1876 was making his infamous last stand, a war in American History at Little Big horn losing 264 union troopers, on the same exact day there was a baseball game being played in this country.... Here is the point I make and my concerns:

Right now in major league baseball, in a country of over 300million people, American players now only make up roughly 60 or so percent of the 30 team rosters on big league ball clubs. Parents - We are losing our own kids! We aren’t losing this because of our overall skill level and talents, we are losing them to our children’s "Will and the Dedication" to finding their ways around obstacles, working hard to attain their goals. A large portion of our children aren’t taught how important having an “Intent and Purpose” with setting goals and achieving success, what having self-pride and being passionate truly means. The Dominican Republic makes up 28% and those in Major League Baseball, these kids use the cardboard from cerial boxes as gloves, hand me down baseballs and bats and yet they make up over 25% of our country's national pastime. But the American player wants an agent-representative and the foreign player just wants an opportunity....And the Dominican Republic only draws from a population of 9million people. Personally, It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to do the math and see we are losing our country's game to other country’s and I personally believe there is a direct correlation to that dad and kid I met at the Select Ball field. There is a current study that states by the year 2025, less than 40% of Major League Baseball Players will be those that are born right here in the U.S of A and where this all stems from is what are we focused on with our relationships with our kids during their developmental years as a child.

So please get away from blaming the coaches, the umpires, the teachers, the structure, the program, the team, his teammates, and so on…It’s what I’ve termed for years, the “Car Ride Home” or "Dinner Table Tommy"… The ride in the vehicle after practice-games or eating dinner as family, between the father, mother, son and daughter after ball games is where Men are made and excuse makers can be born….so which are you with your child on the drive back from competitive sports? Begin teaching your children, ‘Life Just isn’t Fair’ sometimes and you Must 'Earn' the things you want and are driven towards….Children must eliminate all excuses and get to work on their own.
They must enhance their own personal knowledge and learn how they must adjust to get through, around, under, and over those obstacles that ly in front of them along the journey. For those parents who allow the excuses and block the lack of development to enhance your child’s knowledge are going to be without a doubt those who are going to continually run into the ‘roadblocks’, for which in a sense, we created as a parent.

Excuse me for posting your emails coach, but its a great read, Thanks... AJ

Coach Fack, I don't think anyone could've said it better than those emails.

Kids today are ridiculous.. I should know as I still kind of am one, more or so on the outskirts still looking in. Everyone expects way too many things. No one likes to work for anything... Regardless of what has happened, kids now-a-days feel like they have earned something and deserve this or deserve that. As soon as a Coach criticizes them, they feel disrespected and quickly hold a grudge. Especially in baseball, I have noticed an un-real amount of laziness amongst the people that play the game today ages 18 or so and below.

I've always said this and I'll continue to say so.. If you throw a group of the area's baseball players out there on a football field during 2-A-Days... You'll see over 90% of them off the field in the first half of the workout. I know it's a different sport, and maybe it's the state we live.. But some baseball players are flat out pansies that expect this game to be easy. Football players for the most part are unbelievably tough, especially in this state having to go through 2-a-days in this heat. But, baseball players were always the first one to make fun of the football players while they took about 15 cuts of BP, tossed the pearl some, and went and sat in AC at their house. There is no work ethic a lot of the time anymore. I don't know who to blame this on, and I don't really want to blame it on anyone... But kid's work ethic has to change, and fast... Or what Coach Fack has said will quickly become the truth about non-Americans taking over [b]our game[/b].

Best example from my experience I can give.. There are 6 Dominicans on my baseball team. 1,000's of miles away from their family, they have no possessions outside of their baseball equipment, no money, no nothing. But, they run to practice every day [b]unbelievably excited[/b] to be doing what they are doing. Playing baseball in America with the opportunity to get paid to play. Now, the rest of our team for the most part is filled with some fairly hard workers.. With a couple of guys who bust their rump every day. Now, which guys do you think stand out the most? With the exception of the few American's who bust their tale every day... The Dominicans by far produce way more. Their work ethic is unbelievable. I believe that's just it, we're losing at our own game because we have grown lazy... Much like Coach Fack has said. And I personally hope those dominicans and venezulans who give their life to the game continue to make it to the MLB and succeed, because they've earned it. It's up to 18 and under Americans to make the mindset change to work harder than the guy next to them if they want to succeed.. Because nothing is just given to you. And if it for some reason is, it can be taken away just as fast.

That's my take on the player.

Tyler Wilson

• 2 weeks later...
As a former "Little League" board member, as well as parent, I laugh when Little League gets thrown under the bus as the "bad example".  In having and coaching a kid and team who played Little League, and then Junior and Senior League, I can tell you that the kids whose parents "expected" them to play half a game were not playing high school ball or any higher level ball.  Most of us Little League parents whose kids continued their careers in baseball had coached or participated in the running of the leagues, so we had an understanding of the difficulty a coach had in doing his job.  We understood when he had to make decisions we might not have liked, but agreed with nonetheless.

No, the parents that I saw doing all the talking and complaining were the ones who had the financial investment in making their kid a "beast".  I love that word...it kind of described the kid's talent, but fit the kid's attitude to a T.  In the previous e-mail, it described a kid with the high dollar bats, uniform, gloves, etc.  That is the kid and parent I am talking about.  BECAUSE they had a financial investment, some of these parents felt that their investment in "select" meant that their kids deserved more than the "Little Leaguers".  They expected coaches to honor that investment.  The difficult job of a coach to decide who to play was made more difficult by "extremely involved" parents who had the AD's ear. 

As a minister, I alseo see what is happening to our young men, and for that matter, our young women as well.  In Little League, it was sacred not to schedule games on Wednesday or Sunday, even Saturday afternoons if it could be avoided.  Now, I see kids spending more time on the diamond than in the pews.  Many parents will go, "but we go to church".  Yes, you do...but look at the time investment differential.  The spirituality and faith aspects of your child's life get 1-2 hours a week to develop...their baseball skills get 10-12 hours a week.  So, when your child develops those "big name ballplayer" habits, should it surprise you?  A good ballplayer will have a balanced life, learning humility as hard as he works at being the best ball player he can be.  He can learn how to reach beyond his limitations by learning about people in scripture who reached beyond theirs.  Those things he won't learn from watching and emulating today's crop of juicers, corkers, and dopers.  I know that I will get an earful from parents who enjoy the travel, but digest what I have said.  It used to be the tourneys were during summer...I now see them every couple of weeks.  To be sure, I see people balancing it as best as they can, but it is the system I have a problem with, not the individual kids.

You ever wonder why the Dominicans were glad to play?  To them, it was still a game, not a pressure cooker.  They didn't have daddy turning 35 different shades of red, purple and blue behind the backstop.  It was a game, it is still a game, and it will continue to be a game...when we lose sight of that, we lose sight of our children as children, and instead see them as a revenue stream...and when they disappoint us, we put ALL of our disappointment on them...and that is a shame.

Hector Maldonado   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder