Bob West says Pat Knight is leading candidate.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="989450" timestamp="1301349227"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=82332.msg989389#msg989389 date=1301339638]
I seriously doubt Lamar will hire Abatemarco.

I think Cyprien isn't getting enough mention. It should be noted he has a good friend(s) that work in the AD. I also keep hearing that LU is leaning toward hiring a minority coach.
[/quote]Evans has the best credentials to fit the Lamar job.
[/quote]

I agree with you, and I'm not endorsing Cyprien because his track record looks a lot like Roc's, but I think he or Evans could be successful.

Hopefully we'll know sometime next week.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="badndn" post="989397" timestamp="1301340879"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989283#msg989283 date=1301328279]That is not true. Caldwell and Jackson were Abatemarco recruits. [b]Lamar ran him out of town following a 20-11 season. [/b] Drake ran him out before he could rebuild a bad program. It was over for him when he got to Sac st. He did it to himself. However holding a
grudge does not make good business sense and won't get LU wins.[/quote]

Pretty sure he left on his own accord. Didn't he jump to Drake because he thought it was a better opportunity?
[/quote]He did but it was a mob at his door.
He won't get hired but I put him as my pick if I was boss.

[quote name="UNLV" post="989651" timestamp="1301407471"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=82332.msg989397#msg989397 date=1301340879]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989283#msg989283 date=1301328279]That is not true. Caldwell and Jackson were Abatemarco recruits. [b]Lamar ran him out of town following a 20-11 season. [/b] Drake ran him out before he could rebuild a bad program. It was over for him when he got to Sac st. He did it to himself. However holding a

Pretty sure he left on his own accord. Didn't he jump to Drake because he thought it was a better opportunity?
[/quote]

Sure- and is it because he is such an X & O genius?  Or is it his communication skills?

[quote name="geezer" post="989454" timestamp="1301351836"]
I heard last night that Evans was a point guard at OU.  I like that as I believe point guards are typically more successful as coaches than other position players.  Point guards are usually the leader on the floor.  I also like it that he has proven he can win.
[/quote]

Alvin Brooks was a very good PG for Lamar, in my opinion the best since 1976 which is my years of watching LU.  It didn't trancend into success as a head coach so far for him.  Not disagreeing that there is something to what you are saying, just that it is not a guarantee.  That said, unless someone else comes into the mix, I am leaning toward Terry Evans as the new coach.  My next three, in no particular order are Cross, Cyprien & Skelton but I would consider Sean Sutton if I knew his problems were behind him.  Not sure why Scott Monarch is not getting more consideration and disappointed that others like Richard Patino are not interested.

[quote name="stevenash" post="989672" timestamp="1301409020"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989651#msg989651 date=1301407471]

[/quote]

Sure- and is it because he is such an X & O genius?  Or is it his communication skills?
[/quote]Because LU don't have the umph to bet big. I lived in Las Vegas many years. It is the small time betters that built that city.
The big betters are the big winners.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="989686" timestamp="1301409963"]
[quote author=geezer link=topic=82332.msg989454#msg989454 date=1301351836]
I heard last night that Evans was a point guard at OU.  I like that as I believe point guards are typically more successful as coaches than other position players.  Point guards are usually the leader on the floor.  I also like it that he has proven he can win.
[/quote]

Alvin Brooks was a very good PG for Lamar, in my opinion the best since 1976 which is my years of watching LU.  It didn't trancend into success as a head coach so far for him.  Not disagreeing that there is something to what you are saying, just that it is not a guarantee.  That said, unless someone else comes into the mix, I am leaning toward Terry Evans as the new coach.  My next three, in no particular order are Cross, Cyprien & Skelton but I would consider Sean Sutton if I knew his problems were behind him.  Not sure why Scott Monarch is not getting more consideration and disappointed that others like Richard Patino are not interested.
[/quote]

Also dissapointed that Monarch is not getting more consideration.

If Lamar wants to bet big then they hire Cross or Evans.  Hiring Abetamarco is not betting big, it's betting dumb.  If Abetamarco had never coached at Lamar would anyone here care about him?  So what that he won 20 games 22 years ago.  Tubbs won 17 games about 6 years ago and Roc won 19 just a few years ago and we're talking about how they failed to turn the program around, but hey, Abetamarco won 20 games 22 years ago so he'll return Lamar back to the glory days!  Come on UNLV, that's not a very compelling argument.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="989782" timestamp="1301424351"]
If we had a young team coming back next year I would be all for Cross. But the situation we are in... we have a bunch of seniors that are capable of winning. I'd like a coach with a little more experience to guide this bunch.
[/quote]

We cannot hire a coach based on one year because we have guys returning from a team that could not make the southland conference tournament.  We have to hire who we think will be good over several years.  Sorry.

[quote name="UNLV" post="989719" timestamp="1301416743"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=82332.msg989672#msg989672 date=1301409020]

[/quote]

[/quote]Because LU don't have the umph to bet big. I lived in Las Vegas many years. It is the small time betters that built that city.
[/quote]

las Vegas..?? arent they number 1...in home foreclosures 4 yrs running?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="989953" timestamp="1301436738"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989719#msg989719 date=1301416743]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=82332.msg989672#msg989672 date=1301409020]

[/quote]

[/quote]

las Vegas..?? arent they number 1...in home foreclosures 4 yrs running?
[/quote]

I actually just read that. Doesn't sound like the best place to live to say the least.

Ok you want to take it there. I'll take it there.
Lets talk about dumb for 22 years. Lamar has picked coaches using this forum mentality.
He is such and such son, he was assitant under X, he is from this area, he has a great record
coaching sub DI, a great record vs piney tree college, he played for Lamar. Now that is dumb.
No one is talking true coaching skills. We can debate Abatemarco coaching skills all day and disagree.
But here is what my man brings to the table

NYIT
Iona
Davidson
St John under Lou Carnesecca
North Carolina st under Jim Valvano...1983 National Championship
Lamar
Drake
Sac st
Colorado
Virginia Tech
Maryland under Lefty Driesell
Utah
Rutgers
NBA-DL
WNBA
NBA

I call that EXPERIENCE. Abatemarco would bring to Lamar
that east coast style that got Butler and VCU to the final four.
Abatemarco could bring NBA tactics that would kill all SLC or challenge USU
in the WAC. What your guy has?

.[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="989782" timestamp="1301424351"]
If we had a young team coming back next year I would be all for Cross. But the situation we are in... we have a bunch of seniors that are capable of winning. I'd like a coach with a little more experience to guide this bunch.
[/quote]

What makes you think Cross can't win with this bunch?  He has won everywhere he has been.  If he can take LSCPA to the championship series, certainly he can handle this bunch of underacheivers.  He built a program at PA that had never won anything, recruited athletes, preached defense and ball movement, and won his first year (their first winning record ever), then won probably the toughest conference in Juco his second year

[quote name="UNLV" post="990019" timestamp="1301443105"]
Lets talk about dumb for 22 years. Lamar has picked coaches using this forum mentality.
He is such and such son, he was assitant under X, he is from this area, he has a great record
coaching sub DI, a great record vs piney tree college, he played for Lamar. Now that is dumb.
No one is talking true coaching skills. We can debate Abatemarco coaching skills all day and disagree.

NYIT
Iona
Davidson
Lamar
Drake
Sac st
Colorado
Virginia Tech
Utah
Rutgers
NBA-DL
WNBA
NBA

[/quote]

OK, I'll bite.

NYIT, Iona, Davidson, St. Johns, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and NC State were all prior his first stint at LU, so that pretty much excludes them as all that "experience" showed no effect when he was at LU.

You mentioned that he coached under Lou Carnesecca and Jim Valvano, but in your description of this forum's mentality, one of the problems with previous coaching hires is that "he was assitant under X".  So those two points you emphasize are by your own admission a reason against hiring him. 

Sac State and Drake . . . .well . . .

That leaves CU, a year at Utah, and Rutgers for college experience.  Middle-of-the-pack finishes at best.

NBA-DL as an assistant, WNBA, and management in the NBA.  Could easily be said he wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to do.

I have to agree, I think you fail to make a compelling argument as to why this is supposed to be the guy.  I would bet there are 100 college assistants with more experience.   

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="990043" timestamp="1301444669"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg990019#msg990019 date=1301443105]

NYIT
Iona
Davidson
Lamar
Drake
Sac st
Colorado
Virginia Tech
Utah
Rutgers
NBA-DL
WNBA
NBA

[/quote]

OK, I'll bite.

NYIT, Iona, Davidson, St. Johns, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and NC State were all prior his first stint at LU, so that pretty much excludes them as all that "experience" showed no effect when he was at LU.

You mentioned that he coached under Lou Carnesecca and Jim Valvano, but in your description of this forum's mentality, one of the problems with previous coaching hires is that "he was assitant under X".  So those two points you emphasize are by your own admission a reason against hiring him. 

That leaves CU, a year at Utah, and Rutgers for college experience.  Middle-of-the-pack finishes at best.

NBA-DL as an assistant, WNBA, and management in the NBA.  Could easily be said he wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to do.

I have to agree, I think you fail to make a compelling argument as to why this is supposed to be the guy.  I would bet there are 100 college assistants with more experience.   
[/quote]Which one of those 100 is in LU list?

[quote name="UNLV" post="990135" timestamp="1301449295"]
[quote author=SabineRavine link=topic=82332.msg990043#msg990043 date=1301444669]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg990019#msg990019 date=1301443105]

NYIT
Iona
Davidson
Lamar
Drake
Sac st
Colorado
Virginia Tech
Utah
Rutgers
NBA-DL
WNBA
NBA

[/quote]

OK, I'll bite.

[/quote]Which one of those 100 is in LU list?
[/quote]

I'd be lying if I said I knew much about Division 1 assistant coaches.. Or any levels coaches for that matter, but there are a few impressive schools on this list. Marquette, Hawaii, Houston, etc... Those guys must know what they are doing.

I for one am really excited to see what happens with the Cross situation. I know JUCO sports very well, and most of the JUCO teams in Region 14 can compete with some of these mid-level Southland schools. If Cross can win in Region 14 and continue to succeed in the post season, he can make a winner at LU.

[quote name="UNLV" post="989089" timestamp="1301272468"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=82332.msg989082#msg989082 date=1301270381]
They hire Abatemarco  and I will turn my back on LU forever....they can have my tickets and passes and tailgate spots..I'll burn my LU flags..they will never get one cent from me again.......

[b]GO Pokes?...[/b]thats hard, but I can do it if he comes back.......

btw...Bob West is a boob...........
[/quote]What did Abatemarco do that was so bad?
[/quote]

Are you serious? NUMBER 1:  HE IS AN OBNOXIOUS NORTHEAST YANKEE KNOW IT ALL THAT TOOK GREAT PRIDE IN BASHING BEAUMONT.  NUMBER 2, THE ONLY PLACE HE HAD ANY SUCCESS WAS HERE.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="991245" timestamp="1301622277"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989089#msg989089 date=1301272468]
They hire Abatemarco  and I will turn my back on LU forever....they can have my tickets and passes and tailgate spots..I'll burn my LU flags..they will never get one cent from me again.......

[/quote]

Are you serious? NUMBER 1:  HE IS AN OBNOXIOUS NORTHEAST YANKEE KNOW IT ALL THAT TOOK GREAT PRIDE IN BASHING BEAUMONT.  NUMBER 2, THE ONLY PLACE HE HAD ANY SUCCESS WAS HERE.
[/quote]With exception of being from the northeast, can't we say that about 70 percent of the population.

I'm willing to forgive if he can win here.

[quote name="UNLV" post="991250" timestamp="1301622744"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=82332.msg991245#msg991245 date=1301622277]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989089#msg989089 date=1301272468]

[/quote]

Are you serious? NUMBER 1:  HE IS AN OBNOXIOUS NORTHEAST YANKEE KNOW IT ALL THAT TOOK GREAT PRIDE IN BASHING BEAUMONT.  NUMBER 2, THE ONLY PLACE HE HAD ANY SUCCESS WAS HERE.
[/quote]With exception of being from the northeast, can't we say that about 70 percent of the population.

I'm willing to forgive if he can win here.
[/quote]Dude, why do you continue to hold this guy's manhood?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont