Bob West says Pat Knight is leading candidate.

The overall lack of quality at this point in our coaching search is troubling.  Apart from Terry Evans and Matt Cross, who else has proven they are a winner or don't have personal issues?  Evans has to be the man at this point, hands down with Cross as real possibility.  We are getting the reject former head coaches of the major conferences.  We don't have one top flight assistant on this list do we?  Come on folks, we need to aspire to better than this.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="989115" timestamp="1301276197"]
[quote author=geezer link=topic=82332.msg989111#msg989111 date=1301275568]
The biggest thing Abettamarco did at the time that I am familiar with was he said that Patrizi's was a poor excuse for an Italian resturant.  The other thing was jump ship to what he believed was a stronger basketball conference after only two years.
[/quote]I asked  puddin because I believe he didn't know and his opinion was just a follow the crowd.

Abatemarco basically said he didn't like the City of Beaumont because we lacked Italian restaurants. Keep in mind this was long before Dowlen we know today. He was also a bit overbearing. But that's it. His crime of the century; bad mouthing Beaumont.
Let he who has never spoken negative about Beaumont cast the first stone.
[/quote]Those Italian resturaunts were run by members of the Italian-American community who welcomed him with open arms.  They felt betrayed when he started trashing them in Eastern newpapers.  He also signed up to do commericials where he would throw away the script and say whatever came into his head--not the best way to treat sponsors.  I usually agree with the guy who does his homework, Bob West, but it's beyond me why Bob thinks Tom was such a good Xs and Os guy.  The Cards spent the better part of two seasons in gimmick defenses, box and one, triange and two, to the point where you wondered
what the base defense was. 

[quote name="becktobigs" post="989264" timestamp="1301327040"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989115#msg989115 date=1301276197]
The biggest thing Abettamarco did at the time that I am familiar with was he said that Patrizi's was a poor excuse for an Italian resturant.  The other thing was jump ship to what he believed was a stronger basketball conference after only two years.
[/quote]I asked  puddin because I believe he didn't know and his opinion was just a follow the crowd.

Abatemarco basically said he didn't like the City of Beaumont because we lacked Italian restaurants. Keep in mind this was long before Dowlen we know today. He was also a bit overbearing. But that's it. His crime of the century; bad mouthing Beaumont.
[/quote]Those Italian resturaunts were run by members of the Italian-American community who welcomed him with open arms.  They felt betrayed when he started trashing them in Eastern newpapers.  He also signed up to do commericials where he would throw away the script and say whatever came into his head--not the best way to treat sponsors.  I usually agree with the guy who does his homework, Bob West, but it's beyond me why Bob thinks Tom was such a good Xs and Os guy.  The Cards spent the better part of two seasons in gimmick defenses, box and one, triange and two, to the point where you wondered
[/quote]Because he is a great X and O guy. Stop confusing his basketball skills with his speaking before thinking.

I am very curious how someone "declares" that Abatemarco is some X and O genius.  Wouldn't you have to be pretty knowledgeable about X's and O's in order to be qualified to evaluate that same ability in others?  My guess is that most of us on this board and those in the media are NOT qualified in any way to say(with credibility) who is good and who isn't with X's and O's.  It sounds good when you say it but most of those statements are empty words.  Reminds me of "shovel ready projects" -  Plenty of appeal but absolutely no substance.  It's great if you  know how to run this play or that play but if you don't have the right players and then, if those right players aren't properly motivated, how great is the value of that alleged X and O knowledge?  Additionally, if one lacks the skill to effectively communicate with the public, how can you assume one has the skill to do the same with his players/staff?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="989257" timestamp="1301326575"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989212#msg989212 date=1301321253]
You can't look at record as a coach only[/quote]

Yes, you can.  You can talk about X's and O's, you can talk about recruiting, but ultimately, it is whether a coach wins, which is something documented by your own words below.

Tubbs was a huge failure in his second stay at Lamar. Abatemarco was the last coach at Lamar to win 20 games.
[/quote]

All the more reason not to bring back Abatemarco back.  Tubbs actually built a winner at Lamar, at Oklahoma. That 20 win season at Lamar is the only season Abatemarco has had a winning record as a head coach at 3 different stops, why bring back a losing coach?  Abatemarco couldn't recruit well enough or do enough x's and o's to keep Lamar above .500 and he had some players left from Foster's stay.  I like you, UNLV, I think you are a smart person, but I think you are overrating Abatemarco's skills.

I remember how excited I was to see his 3rd year.
[/quote]

I think you might have been the only one.

Abatemarco got ran out of town because of his mouth. He went to Drake and he became a coach that is known for verbally abusing players, just like Bobby Knight. The difference between Knight and Abatemarco is Knight was tolerated.
[/quote]

You are absolutely correct that Knight got away with things that Abatemarco (and many others) could not get away with.  And you know why that is?  Because Knight won basketball games and consistently lead his teams to Big 10 championships and NCAA title appearances!  As dumb as the comments were that he made about Beaumont, had Abatemarco repeated the 20 win season at Lamar, I am quite sure that Billy Franklin, the buffoon that he was, would have found a way to keep him at Lamar.

For Abatemarco to be considered amongst the top candidates leads me to believe that Lamar needs to KEEP LOOKING.

[/quote]That is not true. Caldwell and Jackson were Abatemarco recruits. Lamar ran him out of town following a 20-11 season. Drake ran him out before he could rebuild a bad program. It was over for him when he got to Sac st. He did it to himself. However holding a
grudge does not make good business sense and won't get LU wins.

Lets not get carried away with this.  I think he is best on the list in X and O's and experience. I seriously doubt LU would be bold enough to give him a second chance.

[quote name="stevenash" post="989271" timestamp="1301327762"]
I am very curious how someone "declares" that Abatemarco is some X and O genius.  Wouldn't you have to be pretty knowledgeable about X's and O's in order to be qualified to evaluate that same ability in others?  My guess is that most of us on this board and those in the media are NOT qualified in any way to say(with credibility) who is good and who isn't with X's and O's.  It sounds good when you say it but most of those statements are empty words.  Reminds me of "shovel ready projects" -  Plenty of appeal but absolutely no substance.  It's great if you  know how to run this play or that play but if you don't have the right players and then, if those right players aren't properly motivated, how great is the value of that alleged X and O knowledge?  Additionally, if one lacks the skill to effectively communicate with the public, how can you assume one has the skill to do the same with his players/staff?
[/quote]Bobby Knight cough cough

[quote name="UNLV" post="989269" timestamp="1301327509"]he is a great X and O guy[/quote]

Any college basketball coaching staff member in America will be called "a great x's an o's guy" if you ask the right people.  IT'S THEIR JOB. Maturity?  Well, even hardened criminals seem to find remorse when it comes time for parole eligibility.  If anything, Abatemarco is the "safe" hire given his prior time at LU.  The risky hire comes from thinking outside box such as selecting from coaches who have proven they can win consistently with fewer resources.  Evans and Cross move up in my book.  Oh well; I guess I'm not a "forward thinker".

70-121.  'Nuff said.  Move along . . .   

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="989290" timestamp="1301329001"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989269#msg989269 date=1301327509]he is a great X and O guy[/quote]

Any college basketball coaching staff member in America will be called "a great x's an o's guy" if you ask the right people.  IT'S THEIR JOB. Maturity?  Well, even hardened criminals seem to find remorse when it comes time for parole eligibility.  If anything, Abatemarco is the "safe" hire given his prior time at LU.  The risky hire comes from thinking outside box such as selecting from coaches who have proven they can win consistently with fewer resources.  Evans and Cross move up in my book.  Oh well; I guess I'm not a "forward thinker".

[b]70-121.  'Nuff said.  Move along[/b] . . .     
[/quote]

I agree. Next!!

[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989269#msg989269 date=1301327509]he is a great X and O guy[/quote]

[/quote]No. You have it backwards. The safe bet would be Cross or Evans do to their records. So if Cross and Evans is a flop, then everyone can still understand why they were hired. But if Abatemarco is a flop, oh boy.

[quote name="UNLV" post="989269" timestamp="1301327509"]
[quote author=becktobigs link=topic=82332.msg989264#msg989264 date=1301327040]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82332.msg989115#msg989115 date=1301276197]

[/quote]Because he is a great X and O guy. Stop confusing his basketball skills with his speaking before thinking.
[/quote]Just saying it doesn't make it so

[/quote]

;D

I seriously doubt Lamar will hire Abatemarco.

I think Cyprien isn't getting enough mention. It should be noted he has a good friend(s) that work in the AD. I also keep hearing that LU is leaning toward hiring a minority coach.

[quote name="mffl" post="989389" timestamp="1301339638"]

I think Cyprien isn't getting enough mention. It should be noted he has a good friend(s) that work in the AD. I also keep hearing that LU is leaning toward hiring a minority coach.
[/quote]

I can assure you he will get full consideration and you are right about his friend.  I didn't want to be the one to let that cat out of the bag.

[quote name="UNLV" post="989283" timestamp="1301328279"]That is not true. Caldwell and Jackson were Abatemarco recruits. [b]Lamar ran him out of town following a 20-11 season. [/b] Drake ran him out before he could rebuild a bad program. It was over for him when he got to Sac st. He did it to himself. However holding a
grudge does not make good business sense and won't get LU wins.[/quote]

Pretty sure he left on his own accord. Didn't he jump to Drake because he thought it was a better opportunity?

[quote name="sleepy" post="989395" timestamp="1301340686"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=82332.msg989389#msg989389 date=1301339638]

[/quote]

I can assure you he will get full consideration and you are right about his friend.  I didn't want to be the one to let that cat out of the bag.
[/quote]

I like Evans over Cyprien.  That is not a knock, just that Evans has a head coach track record and I like his background as a player as well.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="989399" timestamp="1301340996"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=82332.msg989395#msg989395 date=1301340686]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=82332.msg989389#msg989389 date=1301339638]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like Evans over Cyprien.  That is not a knock, just that Evans has a head coach track record and I like his background as a player as well.
[/quote]

If I remember correctly, Foster was the last real successful Lamar coach and I don't think he had any college head coaching experience prior to that.

My thoughts:

Pat Knight - [b]Not a good idea, no evidence that he can coach other than his last name.[/b]
Terry Evans - [b]Great choice, if not for my personal like for Skelton, he would probably be my first choice.[/b]
Alvin Brooks - [b]The only one I'm not sure about.  His record at Houston wasn't good, but he has a lot of quality experience since then.  Could be good, could be bad.[/b]
Matt Cross - [b]I think he's a great coach, but it's probably too much, too soon.  Would like to see him move up to either a D1 assistant job or a D2 head coaching job first.  If he had 5 years more experience, I'd be all for it.[/b]
Tom Abatemarco - [b]Worst choice of the bunch.  A proven loser who left Lamar after his only good year last time.[/b]

[quote name="mffl" post="989389" timestamp="1301339638"]

[/quote]Evans has the best credentials to fit the Lamar job.

I heard last night that Evans was a point guard at OU.  I like that as I believe point guards are typically more successful as coaches than other position players.  Point guards are usually the leader on the floor.  I also like it that he has proven he can win.

[quote name="UNLV" post="989115" timestamp="1301276197"]

[/quote]

fyi--puddin knows his LU, unlv

there aint a chance in h&ll that abatemarco will be back at LU---and thats the way it should be

KIM MULKEY FOR COACH!!!!!!

The more I read about Terry Evans the more I like. I feel like he is the Xs and Os coach/motivator that can help us win now yet at the same time building a program for the future like he has done at COU. You throw a proven winner like him in with this JUCO-laden team and he will win right away with them. We could make a tournament run. At the same time he would be taking the steps to build the program for the future and develop the proper recruiting relationships.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124