For folks in Orange who want Cornel Thompson to be coach......

I know that several of us who have passed through the halls on Newton St. in West Orange were saddened to hear the announcement that Coach Dan Hooks was finally hanging it up as head football coach of West Orange-Stark High School and athletic director of the West Orange-Cove CISD.  Of course, we are very thankful to him for all that he has done at WO-S and wish him a well deserved retirement.

And I guess that some of the pain of the loss was cushioned by the fact that the best choice for the next head coach/athletic director was already a member of the West Orange-Stark staff.  He is a hometown boy...a product of Lutcher Stark High School.  He is a longtime employee of the West Orange-Cove school district having started his career at Stark High School which later merged with West Orange High School.  With exception of a 3 year stint at Palestine High School as football coach, he has been at West Orange-Stark since it's inception.  Since taking over as defensive coordinator in 1981, his defenses have become state renown.  As he has indicated that he is not done with coaching, it would seem that Cornel Thompson would be not only the best choice, but the only choice as the next coach at WO-S, right?

Though posts here, as well as in other online communities, show that the vast majority West Orange-Stark community and alumni agree that Coach Thompson should be the next coach, I HAVE HEARD RUMOR THAT THE CURRENT SUPERINTENDENT AS WELL AS SOME MEMBERS OF THE BOARD DO NOT SHARE THIS VIEW!   I have heard the reason why they are not on board and I will summarily state that the reasons have NOTHING TO WITH COACHING ABILITY.

Thus, for the community to get what it desires in this matter, it appears that pressure will have to be put on the administration to gain that.  Their names are listed on the school district's web site.  Write your board members and administration, call them, e-mail them and let them know how the community feels about this matter and that Coach Thompson should be the only option. Remind the board members that they WILL be held to account for this choice (some as early as this upcoming spring).

And after you have done that talk to, call, e-mail your neighbors and friends to do the same.  This is not a situation where folks can say, "Oh they wouldn't dare hire anybody other than Coach Thompson" and then stand on the sideline to see them do exactly that.  To ensure that Cornel Thompson, clearly the best man for the job, is given that job, you will have to become involved.

I'll apologize in advance for any who feel this is an inappropriate post coming from an administrator, but I must tell you that at this point I am pretty apathetic to your offense.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did not spend three years as head coach at Palestine. Coach T spent only one year as head coach there, compiling a 2-8 record and coached current All-Pro Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson! Why the 2-8 record in 2001 because of grades and injuries to his players. After 2001 until the 2003 season, he was an assistant under then head coach Mark Foreman at Huntsville. Coach T deserved the job more than anyone else! If not, then it's Coach Toby!

Maybe the administration is ready for a change. I know a few board members that were happy to see Hooks retire and would like to shift the focus of WOS from "football" to "academics". I'm not saying I agree with their sentiment, but there are those that want to fill the power vacuum with someone they have more control over.

[quote name="jumpstop" post="988123" timestamp="1301074540"]
Maybe the administration is ready for a change. I know a few board members that were happy to see Hooks retire and would like to shift the focus of WOS from "football" to "academics". I'm not saying I agree with their sentiment, but there are those that want to fill the power vacuum with someone they have more control over.
[/quote]

Well, focus on academic standards should always be the case.  Perhaps the change that needs to take place is that of the school board members themselves for when I attended West Orange-Stark, the school board and administration recognized that there was room for both.  

The academic decay is not due to the fact that Dan Hooks was coach for over 30 years.  That decay due to this particular school board's, many of which have been on the board for a while, use of standards and criteria other than ability and excellence of its administrators.  That lead to choosing administrators which were inept while overlooking administrators who were capable of ensuring the students of WOCCISD an adequate education.

I'll delay judgment on Mr. Colbert as he has just come aboard, but will note that he is the first superintendent at WOCCISD to not have a doctorate in education.

So I guess given the above history, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Coach Thompson is not at the top of their list as ability and excellence is usually not a standard they use, anyway.

I agree. Unfortunately, politics will always be a part of the job. This will be a "tough" decision for a new young Superintendent, and it could define his stay in WOCCISD. Most in the community obviously want Cornel, but some of the board members may want to go a different direction.

The safe play would be to promote CT, but that may mean the Supe loses board support or factures it more than what it already is. Not promoting CT means upsetting the community but keeping the board happy. It's going to be interesting...

On a side note, if CT does not get it, Toby definately won't.

Hence, the need for this thread in the first place.   It seems that the board members need a reminder that they serve at the pleasure of the community, and that more importantly, the community can replace them (a couple of them as early this coming May).

If they don't believe it, ask them if they remember a board member named Shirley Martin.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="988194" timestamp="1301083586"]
Hence, the need for this thread in the first place.   It seems that the board members need a reminder that they serve at the pleasure of the community, and that more importantly, the community can replace them (a couple of them as early this coming May).

If they don't believe it, ask them if they remember a board member named Shirley Martin.
[/quote]

Grad, it was told to me by someone closer to the situation that the superintendent and head principal of WO-S will be making the coaching decision, not the Board.  If this is true, that's makes me more confident that Coach T will get it.  It's interesting to think that someone who was brought in from the outside, only a few months on the job, without ties to Orange or WO-S, gives us the best chance to insure an institution like Cornel Thompson will be promoted to the HC/AD position he has EARNED.

What also does not need to happen is Toby and CT work against together. Guys this school, team and community need you both. No matter who gets what, stay with each other because it is the right thing to do. If the Mustangs family is to be the same 20 years down the road, CT and Toby must be the ones to carry the torch. One may succeed just fine for a bit but for the long term future, I believe both CT and Toby along with Ed D and few others to be there for each other.

The board's job will only be to approve who the super recommends.  The decision is up to the the super and maybe even the high school principal.  This decision is a huge one for the super because it could affect what the WOS community feels about him after it is all said and done.  Coach T is the best man for the job.  Not only is he a great coach but he is a respected man. Not just because of his many years of coaching, but because of his morals, standards and ethics and he enstills in his players more than just the game of football.  He teaches them disicpline and self-discipline which is something that many teenagers/adults do not have today.  If the new super wants to have a man who will be not only a good example for the young men and women who will come through WOS athletics but also someone who will be respected as the Athletic Director in the community, Coach T is the MAN for the job.  It will be a sad day in "mustang country" if another gets the job.  Although academics is important in every school, athletics is needed to motivate some students to achieve. So the importance of athletics cannot be put aside when making this decision.  I do agree the super needs to listen to the community as long as its the true facts coming from true mustang fans. Good luck Coach T!!

I wanted to stay away from this topic, and continue to, but I will say this......From very reliable sources, Mr. Colbert is a great and genuine man. He respects what WOS football is, and that it HELPS academics. Im sure he will make the right decision. What is the crazy thing here is that this could be the most important decision this new Super. will ever make at this school. crazy huh? IMO this will make him or break him with WOCCISD. I also will say that this decision WILL, not could, but WILL decide the up-coming board elections. Before people get on here and smash me for saying what I have said, lets get real here. Here are the facts: WOS is known around the country for football. Yes, academics are important, but respectfully football is just as or even more important at WOS. Here is why.....if these kids didnt have a no pass/no play clause, the graduation rate would drop dramaticly. Trust me, I know! Of all that I have said, this is really an ACADEMIC decision after all.

[quote name="kicker" post="988820" timestamp="1301176797"]
I wanted to stay away from this topic, and continue to, but I will say this......From very reliable sources, Mr. Colbert is a great and genuine man. He respects what WOS football is, and that it HELPS academics. Im sure he will make the right decision. What is the crazy thing here is that this could be the most important decision this new Super. will ever make at this school. crazy huh? IMO this will make him or break him with WOCCISD. I also will say that this decision WILL, not could, but WILL decide the up-coming board elections. Before people get on here and smash me for saying what I have said, lets get real here. Here are the facts: WOS is known around the country for football. Yes, academics are important, but respectfully football is just as or even more important at WOS. Here is why.....if these kids didnt have a no pass/no play clause, the graduation rate would drop dramaticly. Trust me, I know! Of all that I have said, this is really an ACADEMIC decision after all.
[/quote]

You won't find any argument from me, kicker.  Some may think this as overly dramatic, but I, too, feel that the decision on the next football coach/athletic director could fundamentally change the course of the WO-C CISD.  Fumbling of this decision could do irreparable harm to the district.

As to Colbert, I, too , have heard from reliable sources words that leave me a bit wary of his views on how the next football staff at WO-S should look and word from less well placed sources seem to confirm the news.  I sincerely hope that I am wrong.  But at this point, we both need to keep a close eye on him to ensure that he does make the right position.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="988828" timestamp="1301178804"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82208.msg988820#msg988820 date=1301176797]
[/quote]

You won't find any argument from me, kicker.  Some may think this as overly dramatic, but I, too, feel that the decision on the next football coach/athletic director could fundamentally change the course of the WO-C CISD.  Fumbling of this decision could do irreparable hard to the district.

As to Colbert, I, too , have heard from reliable sources words that leave me a bit wary of his views on how the next football staff at WO-S should look and word from less well placed sources seem to confirm the news.  I sincerely hope that I am wrong.  But at this point, we both need to keep a close eye on him to ensure that he does make the right position.
[/quote]

Well, like I said, I do not know Mr. Colbert. But, I do know what I have heard and what they say is that he is very hands on with the district. I have also been told that he is going to be a great super.. i feel that he will make the right decision. he was an all state sports player that understands the iportance of athletics with academics. This all leads be to believe that he WILL indeed make the right decision. I will continue to have faith in him untill proven else.

[quote name="skipmeister" post="988075" timestamp="1301068115"]
He did not spend three years as head coach at Palestine. Coach T spent only one year as head coach there, compiling a 2-8 record and coached current All-Pro Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson! Why the 2-8 record in 2001 because of grades and injuries to his players. After 2001 until the 2003 season, he was an assistant under then head coach Mark Foreman at Huntsville. Coach T deserved the job more than anyone else! If not, then it's Coach Toby!
[/quote]

Coach Toby...he may be a great coach  but he does not have enough years under his belt for an A.D. job

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder