List of applicants for the Hamshire-Fannett Girls Basketball Position

I heard that the Hamshire Fannett program had some good young kids  and was  a program on the rise.  We played them a couple of years ago and was impressed with how hard their kids played.  They NEVER quit  and just kept coming at you.  Of course...seems like every team we play from the golden triangle plays hard.

Silsbee might be running out of talent and their coach feels like he can win more at HF.  Haven't talked with him  but i know that he works very hard and his teams are always prepared.

[quote name="hoops2000" post="988002" timestamp="1301028956"]
I heard that the Hamshire Fannett program had some good young kids  and was  a program on the rise.  We played them a couple of years ago and was impressed with how hard their kids played.  They NEVER quit  and just kept coming at you.   Of course...seems like every team we play from the golden triangle plays hard.

Silsbee might be running out of talent and their coach feels like he can win more at HF.  Haven't talked with him  but i know that he works very hard and his teams are always prepared.
[/quote]

He is a friend of mine and a class act, wish him the best of luck.

Hard to keep my mouth shut on this one. It is a losing battle with volleyball. Whoever coaches at Hamshire Fannett nothing will change just like Silsbee. Volleyball  does not take should I say "conditioning" that basketball does therefore volleyball is easier for kids to participate in. Therefore the numbers of kids are greater in volleyball. That trend will not change.  One word "LAZY". 

Here is my argument, If a kid is good in volleyball they are pretty much good in everything. A athlete is an athlete. At a 3A school you need your best athletes to be involved in every sport possible in order to compete or reach that goal of a state championship and that is the ultimate goal.  To me that is not the ultimate goal of the parents, some parents not all.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="990846" timestamp="1301536256"]
Here is my argument, If a kid is good in volleyball they are pretty much good in everything. A athlete is an athlete. At a 3A school you need your best athletes to be involved in every sport possible in order to compete or reach that goal of a state championship and that is the ultimate goal.  [b]To me that is not the ultimate goal of the parents[/b], some parents not all.
[/quote]

AMEN!!!!!!

I have to agree with you Riding solo.  Alot of kids do not want to "condition".  Basketball is a sport where you must condition.  Don't get me wrong, there are programs where the volleyball kids are put through some tough conditioning but for the most part, I don't think it is any where near what is required in basketball.....not on the high school level.  You stated that vb players are pretty much good at everything and that an athlete is an athlete.  My only comment here is that if they are REALLY an athlete, they don't shy away from the conditioning that will make them better.  I think we use that term "athlete" a little too loosely these days!

If Hamshire Fannett doesn't get competitive with its coaching stipiends then it will have a hard time convincing any "good" coach to take this job.  This is a job that could be taken from "good"  to "great"  in a short amount of time.  They need a coach with some vision and some enthusiasm.  Just not sure just how committed the powers to be about making this happen.

[quote name="hoops2000" post="992253" timestamp="1301808306"]
If Hamshire Fannett doesn't get competitive with its coaching stipiends then it will have a hard time convincing any "good" coach to take this job.  This is a job that could be taken from "good"  to "great"  in a short amount of time.  They need a coach with some vision and some enthusiasm.  Just not sure just how committed the powers to be about making this happen.
[/quote]The window of opportunity is there.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name="basketball25" post="1008328" timestamp="1305036963"]
its a old coach that use to coach at Deweyville, Basically the teaching field is what hurt this job....
[/quote]
She is the coach that they tried to hire as an asst. coach three years ago. great hire for HF. 

If they got Hammerly, dove would have wanted her to coach the boys with her college playing pedigree, nope they got a more experienced coach that was at deweyville.  Glad that she accepted the job after being unable to secure the top four choices due to lack of monetary compensation that would be needed to work with HF community.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder