What Qualities Needed For The New Hamshire Fannett Basketball Coach ?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="992661" timestamp="1301937203"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=81494.msg992652#msg992652 date=1301935653]
Dove, seeing that you are not employed at HF nor intend to be employed at HF, makes your "plan" irrelevant to HF.

Maybe you should home school your two sons and just strictly play AAU. ;)
[/quote]Nah, I'm just having fun with you guys.  HF players will lift weights year round, run cross-country 8-10 miles during off season and we'll kick Silsbee's team this upcoming year anyway. We will be right on schedule as predicted 2 years ago. ;)
[/quote]

Right on schedule as predicted two years ago?  Then that means you are sticking to your AAA Championship for the upcoming season?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="east texas bb" post="992647" timestamp="1301934941"]
Speechless brings up a very good point with mental toughness.  Alot of the things you can not see are the most important in basketball.
[/quote]Running cross country has nothing to do with mental toughness when a kid's jump shot isn't on for the 1st half. He'll be in good physical shape but mentally disgusted if he can hit his shot. Nope, there are other mental training methods I prefer. ;)

The only problem with that is if you don't have cc in athletics as we do u still don't have the time.  If kids come into the season in shape it is one less thing to have to work on in those intial practices.  Also, if you have your legs your shot doesnt change, its when you get those tired legs that you are affected.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="992677" timestamp="1301938386"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=81494.msg992647#msg992647 date=1301934941]
Speechless brings up a very good point with mental toughness.  Alot of the things you can not see are the most important in basketball.
[/quote]Running cross country has nothing to do with mental toughness when a kid's jump shot isn't on for the 1st half. He'll be in good physical shape but mentally disgusted if he can hit his shot. Nope, there are other mental training methods I prefer. ;)
[/quote]

The theory would be if you have two fairly equal teams from a personnel and skill standpoint, the mental toughness might come in very handly when things get tight in the end.  Those with a cross country background are less likely to be tugging at their shorts with the game tied in the last two minutes and they will "know" they will likely have an advantage.

Mental Toughness is not a single thing, it is on a much larger scale, in encompasses the entire game.  The same thing can be said as far as winning.  Are people born winners?  Are people born more mentally tough than others?  To a degree some are, but both are things that can be conditioned with the right teaching.  You can learn to lose as well.  Many times that mindset gets into the entire program and grows like a cancer.  And that is where tradition plays a huge role, if a program has the correct tradition it builds on itself as long as someone keeps spinning the wheel.  What HF has to do is get the wheel spinning, and IMO it takes a tremendous energy and freedom to do that.  If the coach they hire is allowed to teach basketball and there is talent, you will see success in a 2-3 year period.  If you want stable success, it has to start at K-1st Grade and continue through high school, and then it has to be the correct person to do this, it also takes help from people all over town.  The good thing is if you ever start it rolling it will start building on itself and people will want to be apart of it that didnt before. But sustaining success is not easily achieved or it would be more common. But thats JMO.

[quote name="speechless" post="992642" timestamp="1301934259"]
So Yates' players last year were not skilled?  Hmmmm...what 3 or 4 DI signees??

You referred to a "program they instituted"....is that a shot at their "system"? 

As for typing about cross country.....you are failing to see the point despite the number of times it has been explained to you.....of course, what would I know??
[/quote]Two or three were skilled, mostly athletic this year but can run all day. And I do see your point about cross-country. My point is that all players are not created the same. Some don't need cross country.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="992735" timestamp="1301943576"]
Mental Toughness is not a single thing, it is on a much larger scale, in encompasses the entire game.  The same thing can be said as far as winning.  Are people born winners?  Are people born more mentally tough than others?  To a degree some are, but both are things that can be conditioned with the right teaching.  You can learn to lose as well.  Many times that mindset gets into the entire program and grows like a cancer.  And that is where tradition plays a huge role, if a program has the correct tradition it builds on itself as long as someone keeps spinning the wheel.  What HF has to do is get the wheel spinning, and IMO it takes a tremendous energy and freedom to do that.  If the coach they hire is allowed to teach basketball and there is talent, you will see success in a 2-3 year period.  If you want stable success, it has to start at K-1st Grade and continue through high school, and then it has to be the correct person to do this, it also takes help from people all over town.  The good thing is if you ever start it rolling it will start building on itself and people will want to be apart of it that didnt before. But sustaining success is not easily achieved or it would be more common. But thats JMO.

[/quote]I could not have said it better. I'm a student of mental toughness. Used myself back in my day. Definitely mental conditioning. The trick is to find what process works best with that individual to help evolve into a stronger mental mind set.

[quote] Two or three were skilled, mostly athletic this year but can run all day. And I do see your point about cross-country. My point is that all players are not created the same. Some don't need cross country. [/quote]

I have personally seen the "cross country" workout done and it builds team unity like no other.  So when you say some don't need "cross country"...maybe not, but the TEAM does!  This is a time where they will say, we've been through hell from August-October, this game is easy compared to that!

Definetly, I am working with my son now.  He will sometimes allow one mistake develop into 2 or 3 in basketball or baseball, which is a common child mistake.  You know how easliy kids can get upset.  I have been trying to make him understand and talk to him that he cant let one mistake lead to more, he has to put it behind him and move on.  Tough for a kid to do but needs to be taught. 

[b]Qualities Needed for HF Basketball Coach.[/b]

Possess "Chuck Norris" style abilities to:

1. Shrug off the "Cheerleader Mom" parents, board members and administratorsthat insist on their darlings playing varsity over equally or more skilled players.

2. Deal with constant criticism during the season.

3. Deal with constant criticism postseason.

4. Deal with constant criticism preseason.

5. Deal with threats such as I'll take my boy down the street to play at _____________ H.S.

6. Basketball coaching qualities necessary are minimal due to "vast and superior knowledge" of a couple parents with "AAU experience".

7. It will helpful if you can leap tall buildings in a single bound and count to infinity 2 or three times.

Mental toughness will be the key. You'll need it.

[quote name="Dav-J" post="992805" timestamp="1301950004"]

1. Shrug off the "Cheerleader Mom" parents, board members and administratorsthat insist on their darlings playing varsity over equally or more skilled players.

5. Deal with threats such as I'll take my boy down the street to play at _____________ H.S.

6. Basketball coaching qualities necessary are minimal due to "vast and superior knowledge" of a couple parents with "AAU experience".

7. It will helpful if you can leap tall buildings in a single bound and count to infinity 2 or three times.

[/quote]

And, of course, fully embrace the  virtues of UOS

[quote name="HowdyMan" post="992771" timestamp="1301946786"]
[quote] Two or three were skilled, mostly athletic this year but can run all day. And I do see your point about cross-country. My point is that all players are not created the same. Some don't need cross country. [/quote]

I have personally seen the "cross country" workout done and it builds team unity like no other.  So when you say some don't need "cross country"...maybe not, but the TEAM does!  This is a time where they will say, we've been through heck from August-October, this game is easy compared to that!
[/quote]Okay, some schedules don't permit for extra activities such as cross country running ;)

[quote name="east texas bb" post="992800" timestamp="1301948640"]
Definetly, I am working with my son now.  He will sometimes allow one mistake develop into 2 or 3 in basketball or baseball, which is a common child mistake.  You know how easliy kids can get upset.  I have been trying to make him understand and talk to him that he cant let one mistake lead to more, he has to put it behind him and move on.  Tough for a kid to do but needs to be taught. 
[/quote]REAL TOUGH! And as parents you gotta pray for patience :D

[quote name="Dav-J" post="992805" timestamp="1301950004"]

[/quote]Reading is fun-dumb-mental. I can challenge you on every statement you just wrote. #1:No parent that I am aware of asked their kid to play on varsity. Now, do you really want to continue this?

Guest tamulonghorn
you are still not seeing what the true beauty of cross country is
as described by others on here it basically allows for organized workouts after school during the fall
so you get basketball instruction for an hour each day and then organized conditioning and strength instruction after school
it really helps when one of the basketball coaches is the cross country coach

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="992814" timestamp="1301951408"]
Still waiting
[/quote]

Who said [b]you[/b] were aware of a freshmen asking for his son to be moved up. You don't know who I know and who I have talked to. Yes it happened. Period. If this strikes a nerve that is all on you.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder