Possible LU Basketball Coaches

[quote name="coachacola" post="979642" timestamp="1299623081"]
[quote]Just so you know, it's teams like Lamar (this year) that helped make the conference one of the worst.[/quote]

We know!  That's why we want Roc gone! 
[/quote]

I've always wondered, but never known, how much power does a coach have in OOC scheduling, versus the AD? Coach, maybe you know?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know under Coach Tubbs the coaches made their own schedule and I think it is the same with Coach Tidwell as he is AD and WBB HC so he has even less time to worry about scheduling for other sports.

I know at some schools the AD does the scheduling but I don't think he does at Lamar.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="979635" timestamp="1299622558"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=81354.msg979594#msg979594 date=1299620251]

Your in the minority big time here!

[b]How is it brutal to expect to be at the very least one of the top 8 teams in quite possibly the worst DI basketball conference in America year in and year out?[/b]

[/quote]

Just so you know, it's teams like Lamar (this year) that helped make the conference one of the worst.

UTA - 269
TAMU-CC  - 280
Lamar - 294
UCA - 340

You can't get rid of the bad teams, and moving to the WAC won't make your RPI any higher. Take out Utah State, and every team is about 115, even when you add in TSU-SM and UTSA.

The conference will only get better when teams stop scheduling the worst teams in the country.
[/quote]
So what's your point? It's not like SHSU is burning it up at 179! Who said anything about the WAC? We are talking strictly SLC here. How do you think the SHSU fans would reacto to not making the SLC tourney 3 years in a row? Especially this season when the top team in the conference is 163 and only two in the top 200! Last year 5 teams top 200 and one top 100. Year before that 6 teams top 200 one top 100. The SLC Champs this year would have been 5th two seasons ago. The conference sucked this year and LU could not make the top 8. 29th ranked conference.

East Division
163  McNeese St. 11-5  15-10  0.4982 294  0.4502
208  SE Louisiana 9-7  12-13  0.4727 298  0.4496
229  Nicholls St. 8-8  10-13  0.4625 258  0.4594
230  Northwestern St. 10-6  16-12  0.4616 338  0.4130
294  Lamar 7-9  9-17  0.4248 315  0.4393
340  Central Arkansas 1-15  2-24  0.3597 265  0.4570

West Division
179  Sam Houston St. 10-6  13-12  0.4914 212  0.4765
220  Stephen F. Austin 9-7  14-10  0.4661 330  0.4228
228  Texas St. 10-6  13-14  0.4629 274  0.4551
227  TX San Antonio 9-7  13-13  0.4629 316  0.4384
269  TX Arlington 7-9  9-16  0.4349 308  0.4459
280  Texas A&M C.C. 5-11  7-21  0.4291 175  0.4902

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="979922" timestamp="1299672472"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=81354.msg979886#msg979886 date=1299645431]
We need to join the WAC[/quote]

It'll be difficult to fulfill your fantasy without an invite
[/quote]It will be impossible for the WAC to stay FBS without Lamar.

[quote name="Ryans Dad" post="979482" timestamp="1299612278"]
[u][b]KEEP ROC[/b][/u]
I would like to see some adjustments, but I think Coach Roc should stay.  He does need help with the x's and o's so add a good offensive coordinator.  He's doing good with the recruiting and he learned a lot under Tubbs and Calipari.  Another coaching change will keep this program in constant dissaray.  Lamar ain't no Kentucky, Duke or UNC.  The program needs some stability.  A big name coach will not stay in Beaumont or at Lamar very long.  Look no further than Tidwell, he's a keeper too.
[/quote]

what team are you watching?????

[quote name="DP#1FAN" post="980400" timestamp="1299762154"]
I think Matt Cross is worth looking at. He has done well at P.A.
[/quote]
He did well at Talladega College and Texas College before LSC-PA. Read below from LSCPA Bio:

"Cross moved to Texas College in Tyler as an assistant coach in 2006. Six months into the job, the head coach resigned and Cross was asked to take the job on an interim basis.
Starting with a 1-11 record and a depleted roster, Cross was able to lead the Steers into the Red River Athletic Conference postseason tournament, highlighted by an upset win over the regular season conference champion, Houston Baptist University.

After the season the college took the “interim” tag off Cross’ title. The following year, Texas College compiled a 21-13 overall record and won the co-championship of the Red River Conference, the first-ever conference title for the school. It also was the Steers’ first winning season in three years and a NAIA Division I-best 15-game improvement from the previous year. In 2008, Cross moved to Talladega College, where former Texas College president Billy Hawkins wanted to resurrect the school’s sports programs that had been inactive for more than a decade.

During the 2008-09 season, the first-year Tornadoes went 25-7 overall and won the national championship of the Division-I US Collegiate Athletic Association. Along the way, Talladega also made college basketball history by defeating five NCAA Division I teams."

If I may....
ROC is a nice, likeable guy, maybe a good recruiter too.  And someone mentioned, even as head coach he doesn't have an offensive mind.  Well, shouldn't a head basketball coach have some knowledge of offense?  With that said, the ROC needs to be replaced.

Consider this;  back in the 90's, UNT hired the wiz bang recruiting guru out of the University of Texas by the name of Vic Trilli.  Brought loads of talent to Austin (not that that's difficult to do, but you get my point).  Well, Vic Trilli did the same thing for UNT his first recruiting season.  He actually brought in a nationally top rated class to Denton.  Problem was, he couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag!  The guy was a disaster for North Texas for about four years, I think, before he was fired.

Lamar can't afford to keep ROC, regardless of his recruiting capacity.  Get someone who can coach, has good bench coaching, and can bring exciting "winning" basketball to Beaumont.  The fans will notice and the stands will start filling up again.

Good post, that is why I say Lamar needs to go after a winner. Be it in juco or DII, someone with an unlimited recruiting budget and brings in nationally ranked recruiting classes at Top 10 schools for one most have never been a head coach at the college level and two they aren't going to bring the same kind of talent to Lamar.

Roc was ranked as a Top 5 recruiter and Top 25 assistants ready for a Head Coaching position.

I say look at Matt Cross or someone with a similar resume of winning.

So are several others and I'm with coachacola. Nothing against Terry but having Top 5 recruiting classes at the University of Texas is a lot different than recruiting to Lamar University in the SLC.

We need a winner, who has head coaching experience at the JC level or DII. I promise Matt Cross and what he has done without dorms in the city of Port Arthur is amazing. I'm pretty confident Coach Tidwell and other administrators in the hiring process has taken note of what he was done in two seasons in Port Arthur.

I'm not saying Rodney Terry is the right guy for our program, but remember Larry Tidwell was a career assistant also.  I trust Tidwell to evaluate all of the potential candidates and give LU the best chance of success in the future.  That being said, I really like what I see in Cross and Skelton.

Tidwell had no experience as a college head coach but he did spend 18 years as a high school head coach:

[quote]A native of Sanger, Texas, Tidwell made four stops (Frisco, Lexington, Schulenburg and Mexia) during 18 years in Texas high schools, compiling a 283-65 (.813) career record as a head coach. In women's basketball, his teams made 10 state playoff appearances. [/quote]

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/tidwell_larry00.html

Rodney Terry also has never been a head coach at the college level but here's his high school coaching record:

[quote]He spent one season (1995-96) as the varsity coach at Angleton (Texas) High School and two years as the head coach at Somerville (Texas) High School. Terry posted a 15-13 mark at Angleton and a 49-21 overall record at Somerville, where he led the school to the Class 2A state semifinals in 1993-94.[/quote]

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/terry_rodney00.html

Big difference in head coaching experience.  Maybe he's a great X and O guy, but do we really want to risk another 4 or 5 years to find out?

You're not going to get a big name that is going up the coaching ladder to Lamar unless there is a bigtime donor to hire BCG with all his baggage. I'm all about second chances but for some reason the big schools aren't touching him. However, that could change with Texas Tech. Also, BCG is good friends with Roc and I don't know if the job was offered if he would take it.

I say go after a guy from a smaller school that is working his way up the coaching ladder. Be that someone like Coach Skelton or Coach Cross. I'm not saying to hire one of them but someone with a similar resume.

http://www.jcjc.edu/athletics/basketball/menbasketballcoaches.html

http://www.lamarpa.edu/dept/pi/news/2009/05/cross.html

[quote name="bigred360" post="981133" timestamp="1299858910"]
So are several others and I'm with coachacola. Nothing against Terry but having Top 5 recruiting classes at the University of Texas is a lot different than recruiting to Lamar University in the SLC.

We need a winner, who has head coaching experience at the JC level or DII. I promise Matt Cross and what he has done without dorms in the city of Port Arthur is amazing. I'm pretty confident Coach Tidwell and other administrators in the hiring process has taken note of what he was done in two seasons in Port Arthur.
[/quote]
I've taken note of what Matt Cross has done in Port Arthur too, but he needs a couple of years on the bench as an assistant for a lower level D1 program.  Jumping from Lamar-Port Arthur to the HC job at Lamar Univ in Beaumont could set him up for failure rather quickly. 

I just said Coach Tubbs, Coach Tidwell and other administrator are aware of him. Have yet to say Lamar should hire him. However, he has been successful at more places then just LSC-PA.

Don't want another gifted recruiter like Roc or we might as well keep him.

Did you see Terry's high school record? That is terrible, as in 3 years he had almost as many losses as Coach Tidwell did in 18 years.

That is all I'm saying, I want someone with experience at the Head Coaching position even if that is at a lower level.

Matt Cross isn't getting that job lol, I promise Joubert, Sutherland are better coaches than Matt Cross, yes he has done well at Lamar PA but give me a break  some of these High School coaches could do just as good as cross giving the opportunity!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder