BC vs. Nederland scrimmage

I.M.O. Abundance of above average talent makes you an above average team.Great teams almost always have at least two great pitchers.Nederland does not have the shut down pitchers it has had for the last two years.There will be a lot more balls put in play that might  expose a inexperienced outfield IMO.Also Nederlands first pitcher was 1.6 to 1.7 to the plate with runners at first.Teams like P.N.G. with good team speed will have a field day on the bases if he does not get quicker to the plate.The Dogs coaching staff ,which is a good one,will have its hands full finding the best outfield combination to prove me wrong in my above statement.I hope they do! Go Dogs!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="scapegoat" post="963745" timestamp="1297290801"]
I.M.O. Abundance of above average talent makes you an above average team.Great teams almost always have at least two great pitchers.[b]Nederland does not have the shut down pitchers it has had for the last two years[/b].There will be a lot more balls put in play that might  expose a inexperienced outfield IMO.Also Nederlands first pitcher was 1.6 to 1.7 to the plate with runners at first.Teams like P.N.G. with good team speed will have a field day on the bases if he does not get quicker to the plate.The Dogs coaching staff ,which is a good one,will have its hands full finding the best outfield combination to prove me wrong in my above statement.I hope they do! Go Dogs!
[/quote]

No team in the area has a true "shut down" pitcher, at least not yet.  Bellow, Laird, Hester, Hicks, Statum etc. are all playing in college.  The best pitcher returning is probably Stone and he didn't throw many innings last year until the playoffs.  It's time for the new guys to step up and make names for themselves like the ones I mentioned above.

20-4a should be wide open this year.  Whatever team's young pitchers step up, has the best shot at win the district title.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="963745" timestamp="1297290801"]
I.M.O. Abundance of above average talent makes you an above average team.Great teams almost always have at least two great pitchers.Nederland does not have the shut down pitchers it has had for the last two years.There will be a lot more balls put in play that might  expose a inexperienced outfield IMO.[glow=red,2,300]Also Nederlands first pitcher was 1.6 to 1.7 to the plate with runners at first.Teams like P.N.G. with good team speed will have a field day on the bases if he does not get quicker to the plate.[/glow]The Dogs coaching staff ,which is a good one,will have its hands full finding the best outfield combination to prove me wrong in my above statement.I hope they do! Go Dogs!
[/quote]So you think P.N.G has more speed than B.C ?  Wow T. Smiths 1st time on the bump this seasos and you have him timed WHATEVER ::)

[quote name="trueblue75" post="963504" timestamp="1297267462"]
[quote author=NHS83LU87 link=topic=79921.msg963480#msg963480 date=1297264028]
[quote author=trueblue75 link=topic=79921.msg963467#msg963467 date=1297261999]
[quote author=tappedout link=topic=79921.msg962609#msg962609 date=1297137141]
Was there any pitching standout's for either side?
[/quote]
LaSalle looked strong for Nederland. Nice speed and control (even with some heckling from the BC dugout). Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with heckling but I just wanted to point out that it was strongest during Cole's pitching and he handled it well. In my opinion, he was one of the strongest pitchers Nederland showed that night. Not exactly sure why Robbins hasn't moved him up permanently?! I thought it was about what would be best for the program but with some of the decisions made so far it doesn't quite seem like it.
[/quote]

It's only been a week of indoor practice.  Noone knows what will happen.  One scrimmage doesn't tell it all.  I've had one or both of my sons on Varsity for the past 5 years.  While I have not always agreed with Coach Robbins, I do understand that with the depth of talent in Nederland, he has to make some tough choices that will not make everyone happy.  He has several pitchers that would start/play on other teams.  It's a good problem to have. 
[/quote]

I do understand that. I guess that's why first impressions are always so important since they make just that...impressions! [glow=red,2,300]Someone once said they hope this coach can make better decisions than football and so far it's questionable[/glow]. Only going on what has been seen so far is all. There is a long season ahead that's for sure!
[/quote]Trust me it is not that BAD ;)

[quote name="BaseBow" post="963980" timestamp="1297348294"]
[quote author=trueblue75 link=topic=79921.msg963504#msg963504 date=1297267462]
[quote author=NHS83LU87 link=topic=79921.msg963480#msg963480 date=1297264028]
[quote author=trueblue75 link=topic=79921.msg963467#msg963467 date=1297261999]
[quote author=tappedout link=topic=79921.msg962609#msg962609 date=1297137141]
Was there any pitching standout's for either side?
[/quote]
LaSalle looked strong for Nederland. Nice speed and control (even with some heckling from the BC dugout). Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with heckling but I just wanted to point out that it was strongest during Cole's pitching and he handled it well. In my opinion, he was one of the strongest pitchers Nederland showed that night. Not exactly sure why Robbins hasn't moved him up permanently?! I thought it was about what would be best for the program but with some of the decisions made so far it doesn't quite seem like it.
[/quote]

It's only been a week of indoor practice.  Noone knows what will happen.  One scrimmage doesn't tell it all.  I've had one or both of my sons on Varsity for the past 5 years.  While I have not always agreed with Coach Robbins, I do understand that with the depth of talent in Nederland, he has to make some tough choices that will not make everyone happy.  He has several pitchers that would start/play on other teams.  It's a good problem to have. 
[/quote]

I do understand that. I guess that's why first impressions are always so important since they make just that...impressions! [glow=red,2,300]Someone once said they hope this coach can make better decisions than football and so far it's questionable[/glow]. Only going on what has been seen so far is all. There is a long season ahead that's for sure!
[/quote]Trust me it is not that BAD ;)
[/quote]

You hope  :-\  :)

[quote name="scapegoat" post="964117" timestamp="1297362914"]
Basebow,Most of the other pitchers were using a slide step.Tyler has been in baseball class all year long.I guess I thought he would be ahead of the guys that are in other sports.I know he is a great kid and he will probably fix the problem soon.Go Dogs!
[/quote]so you're saying they were using the slide step on every pitch with runners on? imo the slide step should only be used occasionally when the chance of stealing is the greatest. it takes too much velocity away to use exclusively. it is a useful tool at times, but i wouldn't use it every pitch. it also usually affects the accuracy. please fill me in.

[quote name="tappedout" post="964100" timestamp="1297359407"]
Sound's to me like you have an upset parent whose boy isn't getting what they want. Complaining this early after one scrimmage?
[/quote]
I didn't read about anyone complaining. Voicing concerns (after what they've seen so far) maybe but not complaining. LaSalle is a great kid though who should at least be given the chance to begin with. That's just my opinion of course. He's not my kid but I see how hard he's worked to get on Robbins varsity team. It's difficult for the kids to understand what exactly is needed to play at that level for Robbins when they see what is chosen over others is all. When weaker players with weaker work ethics or kids with grade problems are chosen over ones that have similar talent (if not more), better work ethic and better grades, it would be questionable to anyone would it not? Especially the boys working hard to get there.

I agree with you spoonbill.Lots of variables to determine when to slide step with a runner at first.Speed of the runner and type of hitter at the plate.Inside move keeps runners honest at second.My point is he never showed a slide step at all.IMO if you pitch with out using a slide step, you better average about two strike-outs per inning.It normally takes two singles to score from first.It only takes one to score from second.I guess it boils down to philosophy.Will you try to prevent the long ball or will you let teams small ball you to death.I like limiting the running game buy giving up a little velocity and changing speeds than having a team run me to death. 

[quote name="scapegoat" post="964117" timestamp="1297362914"]
Basebow,Most of the other pitchers were using a slide step.Tyler has been in baseball class all year long.I guess I thought he would be ahead of the guys that are in other sports.I know he is a great kid and he will probably fix the problem soon.Go Dogs!
[/quote]I think Smith was worried about throwing strikes and who was going to make the next "E" behind him :o not worried about runners ..But it is the first scrimmage and WE ALL want to put 2cents in... so it is really no big deal..All the mistakes we made in the field base runners dont need to steal..We will be fine

[quote name="trueblue75" post="964147" timestamp="1297366417"]
[quote author=tappedout link=topic=79921.msg964100#msg964100 date=1297359407]
Sound's to me like you have an upset parent whose boy isn't getting what they want. Complaining this early after one scrimmage?
[/quote]
I didn't read about anyone complaining. Voicing concerns ([b]after what they've seen so far[/b]) maybe but not complaining. LaSalle is a great kid though who should at least be given the chance to begin with. That's just my opinion of course. He's not my kid but I see how hard he's worked to get on Robbins varsity team. It's difficult for the kids to understand what exactly is needed to play at that level for Robbins when they see what is chosen over others is all. When weaker players with weaker work ethics or kids with grade problems are chosen over ones that have similar talent (if not more), better work ethic and better grades, it would be questionable to anyone would it not? Especially the boys working hard to get there.

[/quote]

"So far"= 1 week of indoor throwing and hitting + 1 scrimmage....kind of early to be complaining???  Jordan started out on JV his Sophomore year and performed very well and ended up moved up to Varsity.  Don't let the first week or scrimmage bother you.  Something you always need to consider....Do you want a player up on Varsity where he might not play much or do you want him on JV getting more time?......Finally, I have had both my sons on playoff teams.....They went further with the less talented/experienced team because of chemistry....Adults on here can hurt that chemistry! :(

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="964455" timestamp="1297430321"]
[quote author=trueblue75 link=topic=79921.msg964147#msg964147 date=1297366417]
[quote author=tappedout link=topic=79921.msg964100#msg964100 date=1297359407]
[/quote]
I didn't read about anyone complaining. Voicing concerns ([b]after what they've seen so far[/b]) maybe but not complaining. LaSalle is a great kid though who should at least be given the chance to begin with. That's just my opinion of course. He's not my kid but I see how hard he's worked to get on Robbins varsity team. It's difficult for the kids to understand what exactly is needed to play at that level for Robbins when they see what is chosen over others is all. When weaker players with weaker work ethics or kids with grade problems are chosen over ones that have similar talent (if not more), better work ethic and better grades, it would be questionable to anyone would it not? Especially the boys working hard to get there.

[/quote]

"So far"= 1 week of indoor throwing and hitting + 1 scrimmage....kind of early to be complaining???  Jordan started out on JV his Sophomore year and performed very well and ended up moved up to Varsity.  Don't let the first week or scrimmage bother you.  Something you always need to consider....Do you want a player up on Varsity where he might not play much or do you want him on JV getting more time?......Finally, I have had both my sons on playoff teams.....They went further with the less talented/experienced team because of chemistry....Adults on here can hurt that chemistry! :(
[/quote]

Good points NHS!! Chemistry IS what makes a team successful and hopefully Nederland's got it this year! Has anyone heard if Kelly has played anywhere yet?

NHS brought up a good point about do you want a kid making Varsity and seeing little playing time or do you want your kid playing JV and playing everyday? My kid is a senior and this is his first year to play on the Varsity team. By playing JV the last 2 years he was one of the starting pitchers instead of maybe just getting a few innings here and there. He doesn't throw 88-90 but since he was 13 has always been very effective. He doesn't get 10-15 strikeouts a game but does a great job in keeping the ball in play. Don't get me wrong, it would have been nice for him to have been on Varsity already but then again the kid just wants to play ball. I decided long ago to just stay out of the way and let the coaches make the decisions. It is best for the players and the team.

[quote name="GTBaseball47" post="964563" timestamp="1297442264"]
NHS brought up a good point about do you want a kid making Varsity and seeing little playing time or do you want your kid playing JV and playing everyday? My kid is a senior and this is his first year to play on the Varsity team. By playing JV the last 2 years he was one of the starting pitchers instead of maybe just getting a few innings here and there. He doesn't throw 88-90 but since he was 13 has always been very effective. He doesn't get 10-15 strikeouts a game but does a great job in keeping the ball in play. Don't get me wrong, it would have been nice for him to have been on Varsity already but then again the kid just wants to play ball. I decided long ago to just stay out of way and let the coaches make the decisions. It is best for the players and the team.
[/quote]

Dually noted gentlemen!! Thank you for the seasoned advice! I mean this sincerely too not sarcastically. I will do my best to sit back and watch all the teams in action. New to the program so it's always good to hear advice from those that have been there already.

Coaches can kill chemistry too. Putting kids on varstiy who have never had to prove themselves. Putting kids on varstiy for reasons other than earning it. That can kill team chemistry faster than anything the kids are parents can do. The coach has to be smarter than that.

[quote name="troper" post="964750" timestamp="1297468032"]
Coaches can kill chemistry too. Putting kids on varstiy who have never had to prove themselves. Putting kids on varstiy for reasons other than earning it. That can kill team chemistry faster than anything the kids are parents can do. The coach has to be smarter than that.
[/quote]Ouch!! Tough first post big guy "R" big girl :o

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83