Nederland vs. Little Cypress-Mauriceville Boys Match Thread/Nederland wins!

WOSgrad

After a one day delay due to the inclimate weather, the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears soccer team suffered a disappointing 2-1 loss against a strong Nederland Bulldogs team Saturday afternoon at Battlin' Bear Stadium.  Jordan King scored the Bears' lone goal, while Lane Smith and Jordan Wagner each scored for the Bulldogs. 

Although Bears Coach Jeremy Watzlavik was clearly disappointed with the defeat, he was proud of his team's performance.  "We played well overall, especially in the second half," said Coach Watzlavik.  On the other side of the field, Bulldogs Coach Jason Butler complimented the Bears team.  "They are a dang good team", said Coach Butler.  "They never quit.  Our hats go off to them." 

The game, played on a soggy and muddy field, was marked by strong defensive efforts from both teams.  The Bulldogs scored first in the 13th minute of the game.  The Bulldogs' successful push down the middle of the field resulted in a goal from Lane Smith.  Smith received a pass and shot from close range for a 1-0 lead. 

Although the Bears started the game a little tight, both teams played well through out the remainder of the first half.  The shots on goal slightly favored the Bears, 10-9.  The Bulldogs remained in the lead as the first half ended. 

The level of play intensified in the second half.  In the game's 51st minute, Jordan Wagner scored the game's decisive goal after a long drive down the middle of the field.  Wagner's strong individual effort was rewarded with a solid, close range goal.

The Bears mounted a strong comeback.  With 8 minutes remaining, Jordan King gathered a loose ball at the 15-yard line on the far left side of the field.  King's shot hit the upper right side of the net.  "King had a great shot", Watzlavik commented.  "It was a beautiful goal."     

With the Bears behind 2-1, the team rallied back to mount several scoring drives, but was unable to score against a packed Bulldog defense.  "We had some good shots on goal, but we just couldn't find the net", said Watzlavik.  Butler stated, "We buried in and finished the game."

Coach Butler was happy with the Bulldog victory.  "We needed this win", Butler said.  "It was a good win versus a good team.  The game was a hard battle."

The loss evens the Bears' district record at 1-1.  The Bears travel on Tuesday night to face the Bridge City Cardinals. 

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="961604" timestamp="1296949243"]
Great game.  Also seemed to be one of the best attended games I have seen the Bears play this year.  The fan support was noticable and I know the boys appreciate it.
[/quote]

Would a Wednesday/Saturday schedule work better for soccer?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="961661" timestamp="1296954378"]
[quote author=A Bear's Bear link=topic=79800.msg961604#msg961604 date=1296949243]
Great game.  Also seemed to be one of the best attended games I have seen the Bears play this year.  The fan support was noticable and I know the boys appreciate it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

probably not, with church being on Wednesday.  What would work?  A spring schedule.

As I said before on here... Its nothing to do with what day of the week it is.  Its the weather.  Look how nice it was yesterday.  With that the people wont mind coming out and watching some soccer.  Last year our second round playoff game at Kelly we had a great crowd , several hundred people were there an it was the loudest game we have participated in.  And it was in the 60s and sunshine flooded the stadium.  Great weather brings great support

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="961661" timestamp="1296954378"]
[quote author=A Bear's Bear link=topic=79800.msg961604#msg961604 date=1296949243]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Monday/Thursday for boys & Tuesday/Friday for girls. Then, soccer fans would not be split (to boys or girls) and the attendance for all games would increase. However, school administrators are pretty well set in their ways, so don't hold your breath on this.

[quote name="DoctorDave" post="961935" timestamp="1297003270"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=79800.msg961661#msg961661 date=1296954378]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Monday/Thursday for boys & Tuesday/Friday for girls. Then, soccer fans would not be split (to boys or girls) and the attendance for all games would increase. However, school administrators are pretty well set in their ways, so don't hold your breath on this.
[/quote]

TEA, not the school administrators, would be the obstacle for this one.  The reasoning behind the Tuesday/Friday schedule is that TEA bars a student from participating in an extracurricular event more than once during the school week.

[quote name="DoctorDave" post="963052" timestamp="1297209281"]
OK, then. How about Monday/Friday for boys & Tuesday/Friday for girls. At least the fans could see 1 game per week together.
[/quote]

sounds good, but it would probably be "too costly" for the district.  you're looking at firing up the lights at the stadium an extra night a week, as well as paying for whoever's working the game.  the attendance most likely would not pick up enough to validate doing this, at least according to the districts.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder