Lamar to the WAC- April 2011

Cat79

[quote name="Cards R Us" post="962208" timestamp="1297051910"]
UNLV...if the WAC "NEEDED" an 8th football school, and Lamar was the ONLY option they had, then this would all be a moot point.  It's not that simple, and you're ignoring obvious hurdles that have prevented this move from happening so far.
[/quote]It is that simple. The WAC needs Lamar as much as Lamar needs the WAC. The only thing that will stop
Lamar from joining the WAC would be a better offer from a FBS conference.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="jdcurran" post="962312" timestamp="1297093377"]
This is all pending whether or not we get an invite.  With all the smoke that is out there right now, I don't think anyone knows what to believe.  I think the only thing that we can say with about 95% confidence is that we will go FBS in the next 5 years for sure.
[/quote]

LU can only go FBS if they are invited by a FBS conference.  LU does not control that.  They cannot set a timetable and then execute it because Dr. Simmons/B Tubbs/L Tidwell do not control if and when they will get an invite.  With all the flux going on, I can't see if being a bad deal to take the WAC offer now.  If an opening in another conference that would be better for LU came up, they could move then and it would be better because they would already be FBS qualified instead of moving up from FCS at that time.  My opinion!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="962319" timestamp="1297094182"]
[quote author=jdcurran link=topic=79479.msg962312#msg962312 date=1297093377]
This is all pending whether or not we get an invite.  With all the smoke that is out there right now, I don't think anyone knows what to believe.  I think the only thing that we can say with about 95% confidence is that we will go FBS in the next 5 years for sure.
[/quote]

LU can only go FBS if they are invited by a FBS conference.  LU does not control that.  They cannot set a timetable and then execute it because Dr. Simmons/B Tubbs/L Tidwell do not control if and when they will get an invite.  With all the flux going on, I can't see if being a bad deal to take the WAC offer now.  If an opening in another conference that would be better for LU came up, they could move then and it would be better because they would already be FBS qualified instead of moving up from FCS at that time.  My opinion!
[/quote]

I expect to see a lot of work start going on around W.U.S very soon, especially if they think this mood will be made. If their first season in the WAC is 2012, they were have to of already had the stadium expanded by that point.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="962319" timestamp="1297094182"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The reason I made the 95% confidence statement is that I think it is very unlikely that we will not get an invite to any FBS conference in the next five years.  If the school keeps growing like it is and the facilities keep improving like they do, there will be a conference somewhere in this universe we call FBS that will see the potential in Lamar and grab us up.  And I agree with your statement about taking the WAC deal now.  I am not sure if that will be the best option considering all the "flux going on".  But the idea of a "New Southwest Conference" is enticing when it looks as if the travel cost for all teams is going nowhere but up.

A few weeks ago Tidwell said in his radio show that several conferences were interested in Lamar and that he expects a big shakeup of conferences in a few months.  I think they would prefer to go a the Sun Belt and may be waiting a little to see what happens on that front.  There's no rush for Lamar to announce a move to the WAC today as Benson indicated they'll be evaluating schools over the next few months, and as UNLV said, there's not any other football schools willing to jump to the WAC.

Lamar's budget and facilities will need to be upgraded, but that can happen over time and isn't really an overnight thing.  They football stadium can be expanded in stages and doesn't need to be 30K+ next year.  Since Lamar can't rely on student fees like Texas State and UTSA to explode the budget it will take a little more time and planning but it can be done.  I still believe that Simmons and Tubbs have planned on Lamar going FBS since day one so we just have to show some patience.

[quote name="AJ25" post="962322" timestamp="1297094472"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=79479.msg962319#msg962319 date=1297094182]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I expect to see a lot of work start going on around W.U.S very soon, especially if they think this mood will be made. If their first season in the WAC is 2012, they were have to of already had the stadium expanded by that point.
[/quote]No, Lamar does not NEED the stadium expanded by 2012 if LU goes FBS in 2012. It would be for the better if Lamar expanded for 2012, but not NEEDED. Idaho uses a 16,000 dome for FBS.

[quote name="AJ25" post="962322" timestamp="1297094472"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=79479.msg962319#msg962319 date=1297094182]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

stadium is already bigger than Idaho's

Provided they sell out all games Lamar has a large enough stadium to meet the FBS attendance requirements, which oh by the way don't really seem to be enforced.  On a basketball note how bad is the SLC that Lamar is 3 & 5 and only two games in the loss column from 1st place.

[quote name="jdcurran" post="961947" timestamp="1297006440"]
I do think we have a leg up on SHSU because we already do have a lot of facilities in place that SHSU does not have.  That is not to say that we don't still need to upgrade.  It is looking more and more like we either have not gotten an invite, joined but with strings attached, or not joined and inquired about joining later.  I am not sure how this scenario is playing out currently, as it does look like we have actually talked to the WAC.  From what it looks like we are not committing this year for sure. Thoughts?
[/quote]

You have some nicer facilities in place but SHSU can go FBS tomorrow without having to add any additional sports or fields to play them on i.e. we already have a softball team and complex for them to play in....not that I want SHSU to move up or that I feel we are in any competition with Lamar as to who moves up first, just sayin.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="962690" timestamp="1297173753"]
[quote author=jdcurran link=topic=79479.msg961947#msg961947 date=1297006440]
I do think we have a leg up on SHSU because we already do have a lot of facilities in place that SHSU does not have.  That is not to say that we don't still need to upgrade.  It is looking more and more like we either have not gotten an invite, joined but with strings attached, or not joined and inquired about joining later.  I am not sure how this scenario is playing out currently, as it does look like we have actually talked to the WAC.  From what it looks like we are not committing this year for sure. Thoughts?
[/quote]

You have some nicer facilities in place but SHSU can go FBS tomorrow without having to add any additional sports or fields to play them on i.e. we already have a softball team and complex for them to play in....not that I want SHSU to move up or that I feel we are in any competition with Lamar as to who moves up first, just sayin.
[/quote]

Beaumont has softball fields out the wazzoo,,I'm sure they can find a temp if they needed

Guest Cards R Us
[quote name="Texantagonise" post="963470" timestamp="1297262217"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=79479.msg962984#msg962984 date=1297199655]
Update on WAC...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/02/wac-targets-remain-a-mystery/
[/quote]

After reading that article, Lamar is a LOCK.  Nobody else wants to join the WAC.  ;D
[/quote]

Irony...nobody WANTS to join the WAC, teams within the WAC are trying and have tried to get out (Utah State and San Jose State) and yet Lamar is a LOCK to get in?  What is that saying about the conference landscape and where Lamar stands?

[quote name="Cards R Us" post="963485" timestamp="1297265063"]
[quote author=Texantagonise link=topic=79479.msg963470#msg963470 date=1297262217]
Update on WAC...

[/quote]

After reading that article, Lamar is a LOCK.  Nobody else wants to join the WAC.  ;D
[/quote]

Irony...nobody WANTS to join the WAC, teams within the WAC are trying and have tried to get out (Utah State and San Jose State) and yet Lamar is a LOCK to get in?  What is that saying about the conference landscape and where Lamar stands?
[/quote]

The Cali schools don't have the money to join the WAC that's why some of them don't want to join the WAC.  Seattle U does want to join the WAC although they don't have football.  Schools that are already FBS don't want to join the WAC because they have no reason to.  And if you think the SLC is better than the WAC then you really do want Lamar to stay small and invisible in the college sports world.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="963402" timestamp="1297230442"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=79479.msg962690#msg962690 date=1297173753]
[quote author=jdcurran link=topic=79479.msg961947#msg961947 date=1297006440]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Beaumont has softball fields out the wazzoo,,I'm sure they can find a temp if they needed
[/quote]

Im sure they can.  Im not saying Lamar cant find a way around things temporarily, Im only talking about your buddy jd's point that Lamar has facilities in place that Sam Houston doesnt.  And mainly Im only pointing out he doesnt know what he is talking about.  Please feel free to jump to the WAC unlike some posters on our board I dont have little mans syndrome or willy envy or whatever you want to call it and I could care less...besides you guys are Gods gift to the Southland so why not move on... ::) ::) ::)

Guest Cards R Us
[quote name="coachacola" post="963489" timestamp="1297265461"]
[quote author=Cards R Us link=topic=79479.msg963485#msg963485 date=1297265063]
[quote author=Texantagonise link=topic=79479.msg963470#msg963470 date=1297262217]
Update on WAC...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Cali schools don't have the money to join the WAC that's why some of them don't want to join the WAC.  Seattle U does want to join the WAC although they don't have football.  Schools that are already FBS don't want to join the WAC because they have no reason to.  And if you think the SLC is better than the WAC then you really do want Lamar to stay small and invisible in the college sports world.
[/quote]

The CALI schools don't have the money to join the WAC but Lamar does?  I personally would love for Lamar to jump to the WAC so that I could see better schools play at home and watch the school have a chance to play in a bowl game.  I've been waiting patiently for Lamar football to return for years, and I don't want to see the team mired at the bottom of another conference facing big losses in its first few seasons.  Maybe some of us are old enough to remember what happened twenty years ago when it was LOSING SEASONS that caused attendance to drop off and the team to fold.

I know that the landscape is different now, but where are the resources to fund this move?  Where is the money?  Where is the planning?

I don't think going to the WAC is a no-brainer, there are risks involved.  In all probability Lamar will have the lowest budget in the WAC.  I think Simmons and Tidwell are hoping for an opening in the Sun Belt to open up so they can get back into that conference.  I bet Lamar is still trying to determine if it's worth jumping to the WAC.  I don't think it's a lock that Lamar will be going to the WAC but I hope they do.  I think it's a risk they have to take.

[quote name="coachacola" post="963524" timestamp="1297269021"]
I don't think going to the WAC is a no-brainer, there are risks involved.  In all probability Lamar will have the lowest budget in the WAC.  I think Simmons and Tidwell are hoping for an opening in the Sun Belt to open up so they can get back into that conference.  I bet Lamar is still trying to determine if it's worth jumping to the WAC.  I don't think it's a lock that Lamar will be going to the WAC but I hope they do.  I think it's a risk they have to take.
[/quote]

coachacola:

I believe Lamar has a better chance of getting into the WAC.  Lamar has some support for WAC membership.  The Sunbelt would be very doubtful with UNT blocking Texas Universities from entry.  I will to say Lamar has an invite by April 2011.

[quote name="Cards R Us" post="963499" timestamp="1297266825"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=79479.msg963489#msg963489 date=1297265461]
[quote author=Cards R Us link=topic=79479.msg963485#msg963485 date=1297265063]
Update on WAC...

[/quote]

After reading that article, Lamar is a LOCK.  Nobody else wants to join the WAC.  ;D
[/quote]

Irony...nobody WANTS to join the WAC, teams within the WAC are trying and have tried to get out (Utah State and San Jose State) and yet Lamar is a LOCK to get in?  What is that saying about the conference landscape and where Lamar stands?
[/quote]

The Cali schools don't have the money to join the WAC that's why some of them don't want to join the WAC.  Seattle U does want to join the WAC although they don't have football.  Schools that are already FBS don't want to join the WAC because they have no reason to.  And if you think the SLC is better than the WAC then you really do want Lamar to stay small and invisible in the college sports world.
[/quote]

The CALI schools don't have the money to join the WAC but Lamar does?  I personally would love for Lamar to jump to the WAC so that I could see better schools play at home and watch the school have a chance to play in a bowl game.  I've been waiting patiently for Lamar football to return for years, and I don't want to see the team mired at the bottom of another conference facing big losses in its first few seasons.  Maybe some of us are old enough to remember what happened twenty years ago when it was LOSING SEASONS that caused attendance to drop off and the team to fold.

I know that the landscape is different now, but where are the resources to fund this move?  Where is the money?  Where is the planning?
[/quote]

Recently, at a TSUS meeting Lamar ask for approval of an athletic fee. If that is approved and it brings in another $2-3 million a year that would help with the "where is the money" and the athletic budget.

Also, I've heard Lamar as a few people with money lined up to make a few large donations if we move to a FBS conferece. The later is just rumor for now.

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=80113.0

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder