Top 5 Southeast Texas Senior Football Prospects

• 1 month later...
1. LeFredrick Ford, running back, Kirbyville
Schools interested: Texas A&M, Baylor, Tulane, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar, Northwestern State, McNeese and Sam Houston State.
2. Javion Slone, defensive tackle, Port Arthur Memorial
Schools interested: Committed to The University of Houston
3. Mark Roberts, receiver, West Orange-Stark
4. (tie) Collin Garrett, linebacker, West Brook
Schools Interested: Committed to Kansas
4. (tie) Ben Goodman, defensive lineman, West Brook
Read the complete story in Friday's Beaumont Enterprise

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/Top-5-Southeast-Texas-Senior-Football-Prospects-944217.php#ixzz1EMxusFjj

.... really... change title to Beaumont AREA. Because once you go east you got a handful of prospect better.

Merka TCU? interest from LSU/A&M

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="968551" timestamp="1298083874"]
Schools interested: Texas A&M, Baylor, Tulane, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar, Northwestern State, McNeese and Sam Houston State.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/Top-5-Southeast-Texas-Senior-Football-Prospects-944217.php#ixzz1EMxusFjj

.... really... change title to Beaumont AREA. Because once you go east you got a handful of prospect better.

[/quote]
Merka wouldn't beat any of these prospects out of the top 5!!! I can think of several BEAUMONT AREA QB's that I saw last year that were better than Merka and I don't think I am alone with that assesment.

[quote name="badndn" post="969492" timestamp="1298307213"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=78483.msg968551#msg968551 date=1298083874]

[/quote]
Merka wouldn't beat any of these prospects out of the top 5!!! I can think of several BEAUMONT AREA QB's that I saw last year that were better than Merka and I don't think I am alone with that assesment.
[/quote]

Agreed totally! The two best QBs to the east (errr West) last season were at 3A schools anyhow, DeBerry and the up and coming gioant youngster Fitzwater in Liberty.

[quote name="dayton" post="971687" timestamp="1298579616"]
Not so much as a qb but as an overall football prospect, I could def. see Merka in the top 5. He'll have a good college career IMO.
[/quote]

We will have heard no more for Merka by end of 2nd yr before he fades into a roster.

[quote name="dayton" post="971687" timestamp="1298579616"]
Not so much as a qb but as an overall football prospect, I could def. see Merka in the top 5. He'll have a good college career IMO.
[/quote]
I can agree with that. His size speed combo should afford him a chance to play somewhere on the field. As I have said before he could be like the Phillips kid from Waller several years back that played QB in HS, but switched to LB at TCU and had a very good career.

[quote name="badndn" post="972109" timestamp="1298647514"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=78483.msg971687#msg971687 date=1298579616]
[/quote]
I can agree with that. His size speed combo should afford him a chance to play somewhere on the field. As I have said before he could be like the Phillips kid from Waller several years back that played QB in HS, but switched to LB at TCU and had a very good career.
[/quote]
Yeah, a lot of the "midget" QB's like Jr, Gonzo, Hughes..didn't get much attention, despite throwing over  Tackles that are 6'4"/6'5" consistently for 2 years...(J Brock for example)....there was no love...I know LCM and Lumberton had some big boys up front too.

Don't know very many QB's in the area that faced top notch defenses(21-5A/20-4A) week in and week out...but it's all about size today...yeah..a bit disappointed...but that's today's world, just gota roll with it and move on...all the young QB's above will be successful...I'd love to see Gonzo at Baylor, Hughes at Lamar, and Jr at UH....BUT...Colleges assume that if they bring in a 6' 1"- 6'7" Qb that didn't make All district, or happen to attend the right combine(despite what they do in pads)... they can be coached up and the heart, mental toughness, and overall knowledge will grow in to them with coaching...ask UT about that philosophy...it doesn't always work out the way it's drawn up on paper and some players don't always prove to be "stage" ready when the real game begins.... ;)

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="972475" timestamp="1298681161"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=78483.msg972109#msg972109 date=1298647514]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yeah, a lot of the "midget" QB's like Jr, Gonzo, Hughes..didn't get much attention, despite throwing over  Tackles that are 6'4"/6'5" consistently for 2 years...(J Brock for example)....there was no love...I know LCM and Lumberton had some big boys up front too.

Don't know very many QB's in the area that faced top notch defenses(21-5A/20-4A) week in and week out...but it's all about size today...yeah..a bit disappointed...but that's today's world, just gota roll with it and move on...all the young QB's above will be successful...I'd love to see Gonzo at Baylor, Hughes at Lamar, and Jr at UH....BUT...Colleges assume that if they bring in a 6' 1"- 6'7" Qb that didn't make All district, or happen to attend the right combine(despite what they do in pads)... they can be coached up and the heart, mental toughness, and overall knowledge will grow in to them with coaching...ask UT about that philosophy...it doesn't always work out the way it's drawn up on paper and some players don't always prove to be "stage" ready when the real game begins.... ;)
[/quote]
Nice SGT kinda goes with the old sayin " Looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane". So many true "football" players get past up because of the measurables or "physical attributes" but bottom line is if you produce on da field thats the players IMO I would want on my team.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="973613" timestamp="1298823650"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=78483.msg972475#msg972475 date=1298681161]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=78483.msg972109#msg972109 date=1298647514]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Nice SGT kinda goes with the old sayin " Looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane". So many true "football" players get past up because of the measurables or "physical attributes" but bottom line is if you produce on da field thats the players IMO I would want on my team.
[/quote]You and me both....but we aren't experts.... :-\

Sad But true..If your not the Idel height for you position, most colleges will overlook you for that player they can build on the 6'4 skinny player, that isnt as good as you but Looks the part..
And its sad cause some of your better players are small, ecspeicaly at Central..This season was a big dissapointment, with the players going to college..We had so much talent but only 3 players sign..I asked the coach why, and he said because the college coaches think small
players cant take the pounding every day a bigger player can..ARE YOU SERIOUS, but hey thats just the way it is now and days

[quote name="D3zii" post="976038" timestamp="1299126035"]
Sad But true..If your not the Idel height for you position, most colleges will overlook you for that player they can build on the 6'4 skinny player, that isnt as good as you but Looks the part..
And its sad cause some of your better players are small, ecspeicaly at Central..This season was a big dissapointment, with the players going to college..We had so much talent but only 3 players sign..I asked the coach why, and he said because the college coaches think small
players cant take the pounding every day a bigger player can..ARE YOU SERIOUS, but hey thats just the way it is now and days
[/quote]
This phase will come full circle...the midgets will prevail!!! ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder