Can ASA Rec Softball exist at a Little League Ball Park?

tpriddy

I ask this because in Lumberton the girls play Little League Softball and the number of girls playing are dwindling fast. Obviously these days the number of kids playing is dropping for many different reasons. Last year the 14U, 12U and 10U were forced (by numbers) to play against other little league softball teams (Silsbee, Fred, Ozen area of Beaumont) in the district and no offense to any of these other towns but there just was no competiton and the girls were bored. I would like to see the Lumberton Girls Softball to move to ASA so that they can start competing against the teams they will face later in HS (PNG, Ned, Vidor, LCM and Central) but the only fields available are a part of the Lumberton Little League and the board has said NO to ASA. If I could come up with something to present to them besides better competetion (Money, concessions, insurance and charter) I might be able to change this thought. Right now the alternative is to get a group and go play the Beaumont ASA league. Thanks for any input.

Guest shake and bake
Yes they can co-exist BUT they will never do it. The problem is getting LL and ASA BOARDS on the same page. I will tell you that I helped start the BCOF league after playing LL and was glad I did . We were very small and co-op played against Ned, PNG, Vidor and Bmt and played in the league tournys and it helped our girls out a lot. Bad thing is right now ALL the leagues are seeing a drop in girl numbers and talent at all levels. Select ball has not only taken girls but some very good coaches as well. You are asking the same questions that we asked in 2002-2003 . I will not say anything bad about either organization but our move to ASA helped motivate my DD to be a better player. When you play the PNG,VD,NED teams you better be ready cause they are always tough.

I was on the board when we merged baseball and softbal at Orange Youth Baseball Softball. The boys played Pony Baseball and the girls played ASA softball. I believe you ought to go to one of the ASA board meetings to get some "ammo" the benefits of playing ASA softball for area girls. We used to play a lot of interleague with Port Neches, Groves, and Nederland back in the day and the competition was always real good. Hope this helps.

Lumberon LL  verbally committed to join the Spindletop ASA group a few years back and backed out at the very last minute by not showing up.  At the same time Hamshire Fannett and Hardin County stayed with them and it did seem to work out for them. 

My thoughts on having Girls LL mixed in under the same board as boys little league ----you will always find the Girls side of managerial descisions being step children to the necessary funding.  I may be outdated with this thinking, but your volunteer base back then seemed to show stronger support for the boys.  Combining geographics and providing a board that is committed to Girls only allows for a stronger foundation that can sustain and build a program IMO.

As said in a previous post---when weakoned LL programs find themselves playing other weakoned programs, your quality is diminshed. 

[quote name="tpriddy" post="934663" timestamp="1292595048"]
I ask this because in Lumberton the girls play Little League Softball and the number of girls playing are dwindling fast. Obviously these days the number of kids playing is dropping for many different reasons. Last year the 14U, 12U and 10U were forced (by numbers) to play against other little league softball teams (Silsbee, Fred, Ozen area of Beaumont) in the district and no offense to any of these other towns but there just was no competiton and the girls were bored. I would like to see the Lumberton Girls Softball to move to ASA so that they can start competing against the teams they will face later in HS (PNG, Ned, Vidor, LCM and Central) but the only fields available are a part of the Lumberton Little League and the board has said NO to ASA. If I could come up with something to present to them besides better competetion (Money, concessions, insurance and charter) I might be able to change this thought. Right now the alternative is to get a group and go play the Beaumont ASA league. Thanks for any input.
[/quote]

Troy, 

I would be interested to know when the board told you no to ASA.  My memory is that you showed up at a board meeting sometime in May.  That meeting was to address a complaint and/or address all star managers and voting on all stars.  While your topic was not on the agenda, you presented to the board almost word for word what you have posted here.  During the discussion following your request, I know that I specifically asked you to find out the charter fees and insurance requirements.  I do not remember anyone taking a vote on the issue.

After you made your request, I did some research by going to the ASA website and contacting a friend who coaches a select team and used to be in a LL/ASA setup to find out more information.  What I found is that the idea is workable but requires someone with a lot of organizational skills and motivation to pull it off. 

When we attempted to hold board elections for this year on more than 3 occasions, there was not a single candidate with a daughter who plays softball.  So, we are currently left with a board of only baseball parents.  So, since no one has stepped up to further your idea since May of last year, Lumberton is no closer to having an ASA team. 

When I talked to Butch in November, we specifically discussed your proposal and my subsequent research on the topic.  As I told Butch, we are open to the idea of playing ASA but we need someone to be the spearhead for this idea.  As president of the league, I am responsible for all 564 players in the league which includes approximately 160 softball players.  So, once the season starts, I will be busy running the LL side of things in addition to trying to attend both of my sons' practices and games.  We need someone else to run the ASA side.

Quite of few of the posts in this thread are exactly on point.  We need softball parents to help with the league by serving on the board.  We need firm details on the costs and liabilities associated with having an ASA softball league.  We need to discuss how, of if, our league will combine ASA and LL softball.  We need to figure out how to staff the concession stand for tournaments on weekends when our league is normally closed. 

Once there is a comprehensive proposal with all of the details fleshed out, I would love to see it presented to the board for approval.  Until the details are filled in, no board can vote intelligently on your proposal. 

Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.  I think you still have my phone number.  If not, it is on our league website.

Thanks,

Troy Martin

Thanks to everyone who has replied and you as well Troy M.

You are correct that no one told ME no. In the PAST (other boards) have said NO (not to me) to the idea of having ASA out there. I was simply coming on here to ask to see if I could get any type of info to submit to you guys. I was not trying to bash the board or put you guys in a negative light at all. The Board when I showed up and asked was very receptive to the idea and I appreciate that.

Has anyone gone through it or is anyone setup in this way (LL Boys and ASA Girls) at the same complex. I would like to know how they handle this at there ball parks.  Does PN or Vidor share fields with LL and ASA if so what is there arraingment just as Troy M stated.

Troy M, I will give you a call tomorrow. Thanks. 

Orange has a separate system. We at one time were ASA Softball and Pony Baseball as Johnny T said earlier. I was on the board for Softball at the time the combination happened. It went very smoothly and I believe it worked very well. Think it is still the same way now. But as has been stated it takes a board of Baseball and softball people working together to make it work properly. Wish I could help more, but I haven't been on the board in Orange in quite a few years. Maybe someone who has been on there recently will chime in.

Guest shake and bake
I think if you would ask Linda George who is our ASA District Commisoner to come to a meeting or talk with you she would be able to help you from the ASA side. She has been around a long time and can tell you what ASA requires. But as in an earlier post states ,If you want to do this then YOU need to be prepared for the long haul and have a group in waiting AFTER you are ready to leave. Phillip Todora at BCOF has been there since we started the league after that 1st group of parents like myself and James Birdwell left as our girls moved up. Although it is still a small league it still has a place and keeps turning out good ballplayers. If you are serious about this then 1st write down all your ideas ,then talk to others to get more ideas , then contact the LL pres and Linda George for a meeting BEFORE everything starts up and see what happens . Good Luck

[quote name="tpriddy" post="936878" timestamp="1292905737"]

You are correct that no one told ME no. In the PAST (other boards) have said NO (not to me) to the idea of having ASA out there. I was simply coming on here to ask to see if I could get any type of info to submit to you guys. I was not trying to bash the board or put you guys in a negative light at all. The Board when I showed up and asked was very receptive to the idea and I appreciate that.

Has anyone gone through it or is anyone setup in this way (LL Boys and ASA Girls) at the same complex. I would like to know how they handle this at there ball parks.  Does PN or Vidor share fields with LL and ASA if so what is there arraingment just as Troy M stated.

[/quote]

[quote name="Raider9900" post="938159" timestamp="1293248998"]
[quote author=tpriddy link=topic=77677.msg936878#msg936878 date=1292905737]

Has anyone gone through it or is anyone setup in this way (LL Boys and ASA Girls) at the same complex. I would like to know how they handle this at there ball parks.  Does PN or Vidor share fields with LL and ASA if so what is there arraingment just as Troy M stated.

[/quote]

"Troy, I think this is a confusing post.  On one hand you say "the board has said no," then in another post you said they didn't tell "you" no.   But whatever....   I do agree with your post and it sounds like the the board is open to the idea and just looking for someone to take some ownership and run with it.   So looks you have the bean now to work with the board to turn Lumberton Softball into ASA.  You now have ownership and lets' see what you do.  I for one agree with it.   The girls need to be in a league that's much more competitive.

[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
Orange (OYBS) operates as Pony for Baseball and ASA for Softball. I was over the Softball side for the last 3 years and it does work with the two different organizations. One thing for sure though, you have to have participation from the softball parents to make this work. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

[email protected]

• 1 month later...
I think the first issue at hand is going to be the LL charter. I know over here in BH we have LL with Nations trying to set up shop as well. Im not associated with either. I run the softball thru BHSA. But according to the BHLL and the BHBA(Nations) is that being a little league chartered organization then you cant oversee any other organization besides little league. In other words if BHSA softball was to join up or combine boards with BHLL then we would have to play little league softball not ASA of BHLL could loose their charter with little league in Williamsport is my understanding on it. Which also means BHLL cant oversee Nations either.

But we will never even think about that the competition is in ASA.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu