Idaho

New Mexico st
UTSA
Texas st
La Tech
Denver

If the Wac could unload Idaho and San Jose, Could the remaining 5 be enough
to lure Lamar, UNT, ULL, and Ark st.

Before anyone scream UNT would never. UNT is not going CUSA. CUSA will take Big 12 left overs after the Big 12
collapse.

[quote name="UNLV" post="923984" timestamp="1291263841"]
With Utah st nearly out the WAC door, that leaves

San Jose st
Idaho

New Mexico st
UTSA
Texas st
La Tech
Denver

If the Wac could unload Idaho and San Jose, Could the remaining 5 be enough
to lure Lamar, UNT, ULL, and Ark st.

Before anyone scream UNT would never. UNT is not going CUSA. CUSA will take Big 12 left overs after the Big 12
collapse.
[/quote]
Sunbelt is better than what you have here. No way those three would leave Sunbelt for this.

The WAC is on the verge of losing it's status as a FBS conference and could lose it's NCAA auto bids.  Utah State, Idaho and SJSU need to stick around or the WAC will no longer exist.  Maybe if the Sun Belt splits apart sometime in the future then you could see these old SLC schools joining the WAC.

UNT is paying their new coach around $500K per year.  Woodard here at LU is making about $135K per year, so if LU does go FBS he'd be extremely underpaid.  I don't see Lamar having the money to go FBS just yet and they have yet to start softball.  Tons of work and money is still needed.

[quote name="coachacola" post="924082" timestamp="1291299288"]
The WAC is on the verge of losing it's status as a FBS conference and could lose it's NCAA auto bids.  Utah State, Idaho and SJSU need to stick around or the WAC will no longer exist.  Maybe if the Sun Belt splits apart sometime in the future then you could see these old SLC schools joining the WAC.

UNT is paying their new coach around $500K per year.  Woodard here at LU is making about $135K per year, so if LU does go FBS he'd be extremely underpaid.  I don't see Lamar having the money to go FBS just yet and they have yet to start softball.  Tons of work and money is still needed.
[/quote]
Very good point.

As usual, you guys know nothing.

A few months ago the biggest argument against LU, UNT, and any other regional school joining the WAC was travel.
Well guess what?  The center is now in Texas. With Utah st nearly out the door, Idaho and SJSU are now the odd balls
much as Tech was for years.

For example, if LU joined the WAC, travel in the WAC would be about the same as in the Sunbelt. Idaho to the MWC and SJSU
to the Big West, then travel for LU would be less than the Sunbelt.

This an opportunity for regional schools to build, reshape, rename, our own FBS conference.

Like coach said, the NCAA will need to give the WAC a waiver to keep FBS status. I think it will.

Therefore I am back on the LU joining the WAC IF;
1. WAC gets the waiver
2. no new western schools join...
3. A new name...
4. ULL and Ark st join.

UTSA
Texas st
New Mexico st
ULL
Lamar
Ark st
Denver
SJSU?
Idaho?

I think in a couple of months the WAC will know if it gets a waiver or not.  If that's successful then I wouldn't be surprised if Lamar quietly starts talking to the WAC.  If LU stays in the SLC, they'll attract big crowds against McNeese, SHSU and SFA.  Will they attract the same crowds against La Tech, Texas State and UTSA?  And in the short term, instead of lots of bus trips into LA and one trip to Arkansas, they'll be flying to NM, Utah, Denver, San Jose and Idaho.  Those western teams just can't leave right away, it has to be a long term process or the WAC could just fall apart.

[quote name="UNLV" post="924163" timestamp="1291305927"]

A few months ago the biggest argument against LU, UNT, and any other regional school joining the WAC was travel.
Well guess what?  The center is now in Texas. With Utah st nearly out the door, Idaho and SJSU are now the odd balls

[/quote]
Yeah we are all clueless...You are so much more in tune with reality than anyone else!  ::)

A few moths ago the WAC would have been entising to a UNT, ULL because they had Boise St., Hawaii and Nevada...But the travel [b]WAS[/b] the biggest issue. Now without programs that have gotten national attention the past 5 years, what is the draw for UNT and ULL?? Better off expanding the Sunbelt.

[quote name="badndn" post="924247" timestamp="1291312456"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=76936.msg924163#msg924163 date=1291305927]

[/quote]
Yeah we are all clueless...You are so much more in tune with reality than anyone else!  ::)
[/quote]
Oh I know it. I try and try and try. sigh\
[quote]

A few moths ago the WAC would have been entising to a UNT, ULL because they had Boise St., Hawaii and Nevada...But the travel [b]WAS[/b] the biggest issue. Now without programs that have gotten national attention the past 5 years, what is the draw for UNT and ULL?? Better off expanding the Sunbelt.
[/quote]

Less travel, regional schools and former rivals, why go to Fla Atl or Florida int when ULL can play Lamar or Tech.
This could be the old SLC from the glory days.

[quote name="UNLV" post="924163" timestamp="1291305927"]
1. WAC gets the waiver
[b]3. A new name...[/b]4. ULL and Ark st join.

UTSA
Texas st
New Mexico st
ULL
Lamar
Ark st
Denver
SJSU?
Idaho?
[/quote]
Assuming you are talking about changing the name WAC to something else, that would be a disaster.  That WAC name and emblem is the only thing that has kept the conference around so long.  That would be like changing the name COKE COLAƂĀ® to something else.

And no, there is not chance UNT will be enticed to move to the WAC.  The university has formally declined an invite for the 3rd time.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="924857" timestamp="1291388003"]
1. WAC gets the waiver

UTSA
Texas st
New Mexico st
ULL
Lamar
Ark st
Denver
SJSU?
Idaho?
[/quote]
Assuming you are talking about changing the name WAC to something else, that would be a disaster.  That WAC name and emblem is the only thing that has kept the conference around so long.  That would be like changing the name COKE COLAƂĀ® to something else.

And no, there is not chance UNT will be enticed to move to the WAC.  The university has formally declined an invite for the 3rd time.

[/quote]UNT can decline 1,000,000 times, however if the WAC becomes a better choice than the Sunbelt, it would be foolish for UNT not to join.

There is nothing else out there for UNT. Sunbelt or WAC. Stop dreaming about CUSA, it won't happen.
My current prediction of CUSA in 5-7 years.

SMU
Houston
Tulsa
Memphis
K-st
Iowa st
Texas tech
Baylor
Southern miss
UAB
Tulane
UTEP

[quote name="Green Menace" post="924857" timestamp="1291388003"]
1. WAC gets the waiver

UTSA
Texas st
New Mexico st
ULL
Lamar
Ark st
Denver
SJSU?
Idaho?
[/quote]
Assuming you are talking about changing the name WAC to something else, that would be a disaster.  That WAC name and emblem is the only thing that has kept the conference around so long.  That would be like changing the name COKE COLAƂĀ® to something else.

And no, there is not chance UNT will be enticed to move to the WAC.  The university has formally declined an invite for the 3rd time.

[/quote]
If they keep losing teams in the Western part of the country and adding schools from Texas it would be funny for the name to continue being the Western Athletic Conference. Would not make sense for the name to stay the same as it would not represent the schools in the conference.

The name has been around so long because they had teams from the Western part of the USA.

[quote]SMU
Houston
Tulsa
Memphis
K-st
Iowa st
Texas tech
Baylor
Southern miss
UAB
Tulane
UTEP[/quote]

I could see something like that happening which would make it the "new" southwest conference.  The Mountain West is already becoming the "new" WAC, especially if Utah State joins, which would more than likely effectively kill the current WAC.  The WAC commissioner has already come out and said it's every school for itself.  The WAC needs to hang in there or Lamar may be stuck at the FCS level for a while.

[quote name="UNLV" post="924957" timestamp="1291394922"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=76936.msg924857#msg924857 date=1291388003]
1. WAC gets the waiver

UTSA
Texas st
New Mexico st
ULL
Lamar
Ark st
Denver
SJSU?
Idaho?
[/quote]

[/quote]UNT can decline 1,000,000 times, however if the WAC becomes a better choice than the Sunbelt, it would be foolish for UNT not to join.

There is nothing else out there for UNT. Sunbelt or WAC. Stop dreaming about CUSA, it won't happen.

SMU
Houston
Tulsa
Memphis
K-st
Iowa st
Texas tech
Baylor
Southern miss
UAB
Tulane
UTEP
[/quote]
How, pray tell, will the WAC be a better choice than the Sun Belt?  The WAC is toast.  Give it up.

The name will have to change when they lose the Western schools and add more Texas schools..

Now, realistically.. Here's what I think it takes to make the move.

1. Win. Without this, doesn't matter if we're D1 FBS or Middle School.
2. Attendance. This is the thing that I see being the biggest problem in making the move. Now, I never went to one game this year due to being off at school, but I heard attendance dropped pretty noticeably throughout the course of the year. To make the move, we have to stay over 15K every game before they even consider. Winning will keep those seats warm.
3. Money. And lots more of it. The stadium has to expand another 10-15K IMO to be a legit FBS style stadium. The facilities are good enough for FBS, but not enough seating. Now, when you put that seating in, you have to have butts to go in those seats.. Which goes back to attendance. Lamar has to win no matter where they are or this just won't work. You also have to have money for traveling, recruiting expenses, facility upgrades, uniforms, etc etc etc...
4. A great opportunity for Lamar to succeed. Don't just jump into the first available option. You have to go somewhere where you can contend right away. Lamar could be very successful in a conference much like the one posted by UNLV.

It is nearly impossible to start a new FBS. Lamar should jump in and take the WAC and its FBS rating and make it a regional
FBS conference.

New Mexico st
ULL
UTSA
TSU
Ark st
Lamar
Missouri st
La tech
Denver-non football
UALR-non football

Maybe UNT
Maybe Wichita st ...if they decide to start football.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="925190" timestamp="1291417549"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=76936.msg924957#msg924957 date=1291394922]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=76936.msg924857#msg924857 date=1291388003]
1. WAC gets the waiver

UTSA
Texas st
New Mexico st
ULL
Lamar
Ark st
Denver
SJSU?
Idaho?
[/quote]

SMU
Houston
Tulsa
Memphis
K-st
Iowa st
Texas tech
Baylor
Southern miss
UAB
Tulane
UTEP
[/quote]
How, pray tell, will the WAC be a better choice than the Sun Belt?  The WAC is toast.  Give it up.
[/quote]

we'd get to play Idaho!!! ::)

By joining the WAC Lamar could also schedule home & home games with schools from the Sun Belt, Mountain West and others.  Texas State just announced two home and home deals with Wyoming and Navy.  UTSA has already announced those kinds of deals as well as South Alabama.

Texas State's stadium is the same size as Lamar's but they have already announced plans to expand it in a few years.  Lamar would need to do the same if they join the WAC.  Not saying that Lamar should join, just saying it does open up new opportunities if the WAC doesn't fall apart first.

[quote name="77" post="928684" timestamp="1291822303"]
Why the push for Lamar to leave the southland conf.? I've read these post on hear before.
[/quote]

FBS is the highest level of football obviously, so any opportunity you have to put your program there (assuming the school wants their program to be FBS) you take it. Which is why Lamar is trying to find where they'll fit in.

Lamar will have to expand though; looks like a second deck on the visitors side is the only option for expanding?

I'm personally in no rush to go FBS unless things change in the SLC with other schools leaving and adding DII schools in their place. I do think that should be the goal of the admininstration because it is the most prestigious level of DI football.

As for expanding the stadium, with the right architecture they can add a upper deck on the home side too. Possibly even having a small bowl for added seating. JMO

[quote name="AJ25" post="928745" timestamp="1291830255"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=76936.msg928684#msg928684 date=1291822303]
Why the push for Lamar to leave the southland conf.? I've read these post on hear before.
[/quote]

FBS is the highest level of football obviously, so any opportunity you have to put your program there (assuming the school wants their program to be FBS) you take it. Which is why Lamar is trying to find where they'll fit in.

Lamar will have to expand though; looks like a second deck on the visitors side is the only option for expanding?
[/quote]I  understand wanting to move up but I think it would be better to wait awhile and see how the univ. grows and also get some work in on the football prog. wasnt like they killed all there slc opponets.jmo

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder