Baytown Sterling Coach Reassigned

Guest Ranger83
Possibly. Olin and Tate did not seem to have a problem doing it.
If we combined the 3 schools, we would have about the same enrollment as North Shore (without the Metro Bus stop).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ranger83
56 applicants. Only new names are Lucerdo (current RSS OC), Washburn (acting football coordinator at RSS). and Dippel (current asst coach at RSS).
If possible, I'll link todays article from the Sun.

Guest Ranger83
[size=14pt]Sterling football job draws 56 applicants[/size]

The search for Sterling High School’s next head football coach be over in less than three weeks.

Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District assistant superintendent Byron Terrier said the “goal” is to have the new head coach on board by the end of January.

“But we aren’t going to push it,’’ Terrier said. “If we don’t get this thing resolved, we won’t rush. We want to make sure we get the right man for the job.’’

A total of 56 applicants had applied for the vacancy as of Friday, Jan. 7. Some of the top candidates include Ron Stump from Beaumont West Brook, Finis Vanover from Angleton, Ricky Tullos from Livingston, David Suggs from Galveston Ball and Sterling assistant coach Rich Lucero.

“We feel very good about the pool of candidates,’’ Terrier said. “We know how important it is to hire a good football coach. Across the state of Texas, some of the biggest hires are always the superintendent, principal, athletic director and head football coach.’’

Sterling assistant coaches Michael Washburn and Donald Dippel also have thrown their hats into the ring.

“Any time we have folks (apply) from within, we like to take a look at our people first,’’ Terrier said. “When the qualifications are equal, we like to look at the people from inside first. But in this situation, I wouldn’t say it is a major advantage.’’

Terrier said GCCISD administrators hope to narrow down the 56-member list to “between two and eight finalists” over the next week. The finalists will be interviewed by a screening committee, which will include the athletic director and the high school principal, Terrier said.

“We will have other people on the screening committee,’’ he said. “We just don’t know who yet.’’

The new coach will replace Herb Minyard, who was reassigned within the district after the 2010 season. Minyard was 22-45 in seven seasons at the helm, including 2-8 last season.

“I think we have great kids and great facilities (at Sterling),’’ Terrier said. “This would be a great opportunity for any coach.’’

Tom Ed Gooden, who was out of the office on Monday, said he hoped to present a new head coach to the school board on Jan. 24.

Guest Ranger83
It's going to take some work. There's some talent to work with, but the sheer numbers of athletes is not what you would think at a 5a school.
The right guy, with the right amount of discipline can get them out of the cellar.

I have not read anything from PanamaMeyers in a few years and I miss that.  I have always wondered who you were and would actually like to meet you one day and talk about Baytown Athletics.  I know you can win in Baytown, no doubt.  As you suggested, the district should have put REL/RSS together.  In fact, if you remember, the district put together a committee made up of community members and assigned them the task of studying the feasiblity of putting the two schools together - 9/10 campus, 11/12 campus, with Mike Shields serving as the committee chair.  The recommendation was to put the schools together because it was best for Baytown.  However, the board, tabled the recommendation and began to develop plans to build a third school, something Dr. Albus told the committee was not an option.  Dr. Albus, after telling the committee a 3rd high school was not an option, stayed on the board, helped them pass the bond to build the 3rd high school, then resigned his position on the board shortly after the bond passed.

Panama Myers is just a guy that probably takes Gander football a bit too seriously, but what can I say.
I learned it from my Dad, the biggest Gander fan there ever was.

Because of this, I have a hard time being objective.

The players are there in Baytown for all three schools to be above average.
I still say that Lee has more athletes than the other two though, at least at the moment.
The freshman squad should probably be a sign that they will soon change.

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="Go-rilla" post="951052" timestamp="1295450879"]
from what I read in the Paper
Cauley Deer Park
Patterson Deer Park
Staehlin Pasadena
Cole Pasadena Memorial
Were the Applicants from the "gilleys" area??

[/quote]

Actually, Coach Snelson from Memorial threw his hat in the ring late.  ::)

Guest Ranger83
[b][size=14pt]Sterling coach list hits 63 applicants[/size][/b]

A total of 63 applicants applied for the head football/campus coordinator job at Sterling High School.

The final coaches to throw their hat into the ring include Pasadena Memorial head coach John Snelson, Clear Creek High School coach Troy Waddell, Sterling assistant coach Joe Breezes, Gregory Owens (former employer of Gilman Building Company in Houston), Sterling assistant Daniel Ragsdale, Jersey Village assistant coach Jason Speight’s and La Porte’s Robert Taylor.

Snelson, who has built Pasadena Memorial from the ground up, is probably the strongest candidate of the final group. He was considered one of the early favorites, but waited until the last minute to apply.

The new coach should be named at the school board meeting on Monday.

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="To the House" post="951256" timestamp="1295469714"]
I believe that you are refering to Clear Lake's head coach Troy Adudell. He is a very good coach and  likely a finalist. Where are you getting your sources?
[/quote]

This is from the [u]Baytown Sun[/u]. I made as many corrections as I could (there were several). I have never heard of a Coach Breeze at RSS. Do not know who that was suppose to be.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder