Baytown Sterling Coach Reassigned

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="liltex" post="897154" timestamp="1288957316"]
Ok somebody post the link.What do they mean players won't be coming back,did the team quit 8) ???
[/quote] Umm I think the coach said he wasn't coming back... not the players.

[size=12pt][b]RSS football coach to get new assignment[/b][/size]

Sterling High School football head coach Herb Minyard will be reassigned in the district after the Rangers’ final game this season, Goose Creek ISD officials announced Wednesday.  Coach Minyard informed the team on Monday.  Minyard, who also serves as the athletic coordinator for Sterling, has been the head football coach for seven years, compiling a record of 23-44.  “I have had the greatest joy of my 25 years of coaching being the head football coach at Sterling High School. I want to thank Goose Creek CISD for the chance and opportunity they have given me and my staff,” Minyard said.  “I also want to thank all the teachers and coaches at Sterling, Gentry, and Cedar Bayou. It has been an awesome experience and you guys made my service a joyful one.”

Goose Creek CISD Superintendent Dr. Toby York said Minyard is a wonderful role model for student athletes. “He held students to high expectations in athletics and academics,” York said. “He will continue to be an asset to our district.”

Sterling hosts Port Arthur Memorial in the district finale at 2 p.m. Saturday at Stallworth Stadium. Sterling needs a win of 18 points or more over Memorial and a Channelview loss to earn a playoff berth.

York said the district would begin the process to hire a new head coach after football season.

http://baytownsun.com/sports/article_ec9c7318-e7c7-11df-b88b-001cc4c03286.html

Can he come and "teach" football at GCM? Maybe mentor some of the staff there. Most of them do not "teach" anything about the game because they do not know how except maybe some Freshman coaches.
Good luck to coach Minyard! There are many circumstances as to why he was not as sucessful as he would have like at Sterling.

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="897739" timestamp="1289001427"]
what a joke!!!!
you water down the GCisd by opening another unneeded school, then you blame a coach that has actually got his team to the playoffs for losing. this is pretty sorry.
[/quote]

Well, you know the opening of GCM had nothing to do with football obviously. It was about numbers. Sterling had too many kids and not enough square feet. It was packed. You couldn't even walk across the school in 5 minutes during passing periods.

what a joke!!!!
you water down the GCisd by opening another unneeded school, then you blame a coach that has actually got his team to the playoffs for losing. this is pretty sorry.
[/quote]
I can go back and examine last year and say it was an exciting year but you look at the fundamentals and the mistakes made week after week and I know what is "not" taught to these kids. I'll argue this with anyone who thinks they know. You can pop off what you think you know but they they should be winning now and winning decisively against one of the weakest districts in the area. We had an exciting player last season who made plays but was also one of the most undisciplined kids I have ever watched. My expectations are for them to be disciplined and play excellent technique on both sides of the ball, especially defense. The kids are lost against average competition at best. Coaches typically do not encourage or pick up a player who has made a mistake. If you have ever actually watched this or actually played the game, you would see this. You can be satisfied with average but we are not even that.  

[quote name="cbear4" post="898532" timestamp="1289015356"]
[quote author=Go-rilla link=topic=75507.msg897739#msg897739 date=1289001427]
what a joke!!!!
[/quote]
I can go back and examine last year and say it was an exciting year but you look at the fundamentals and the mistakes made week after week and I know what is "not" taught to these kids. I'll argue this with anyone who thinks they know. You can pop off what you think you know but they they should be winning now and winning decisively against one of the weakest districts in the area. We had an exciting player last season who made plays but was also one of the most undisciplined kids I have ever watched. My expectations are for them to be disciplined and play excellent technique on both sides of the ball, especially defense. The kids are lost against average competition at best. Coaches typically do not encourage or pick up a player who has made a mistake. If you have ever actually watched this or actually played the game, you would see this. You can be satisfied with average but we are not even that.  
[/quote]

Can you put that into comprehensible English?

GCCISD made a mistake.....IMHO.....with the 3rd high school. They should have made a one school system with a 9-10 grade campus and 11-12 grade campus. I still believe that they will end up a 2 school district....RSS and GCM with Lee going bye bye.

I would think the HC's are making more than 90........I bet Gage makes quite a bit more than that.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ranger83
STERLING COACHING APPLICANTS (THROUGH DEC. 12)

Jason Black, Marshall, Texas, H.S.
William Blaylock, Sulphur Springs H.S.
William Brewton, Beaumont Ozen H.S.
Chris Cauley, Deer Park H.S.
Gerald Cole, Pasadena Memorial H.S.
Lonnie Cook, formerly Taos, N.M., H.S.
Reginald Davis, Wharton H.S.
James DeBruin, Angleton H.S.
Dwayne Dever, Manor H.S.
James Dickey, Liberty H.S.
Kevin Drones, Galveston Ball H.S.
Peter Gareri, Jr., Houston Austin H.S.
Kenneth Gilchrist, Whitney ISD
Daryl Hobbs, Beaumont Legacy Christian
H.S.
Gregory Hodge, Perryton H.S.
Damian Judge, current employer unavialable
Brannon Kidd, Rains ISD
Clarence Kirk, Hildalgo Early College H.S.
Robb Kirkland, Hardin-Jefferson ISD
Patrick Matthews, Aldine Nimitz H.S.
Scott Merry, Conroe H.S.
Bryce Monsen, Temple ISD
Stephen Myatt, Texas A&M-Commerce
Michael O’Guin, Galveston Ball H.S.
Nolan Patterson, Deer Park H.S.
William Paul, Jr., Terrell H.S.
Jeffrey Sciba, Spring Dekaney H.S.
William Siffin, Sioux City Schools, Iowa
DeWayne Singletary, Conroe Caney Creek
H.S.
Grover Smith, Crosby H.S.
Jeremy Staehlin, Pasadena H.S.
Jason Strunk, Purdue University
Ron Stump, Beaumont West Brook H.S.
David Suggs, Galveston Ball H.S.
Joe Trevino, Uvalde CISD
Ricky Tullos, Livingston H.S.
Finis Vanover, Angleton H.S.
Cedric Wheatfall, Fort Worth Wyatt H.S.
Jeff Whitehall, Houston Sharpstown H.S.
Hank Willis, Jr., Dallas South Oak Cliff H.S.
Leslie Winegeart, Corpus Christi Carroll H.S.

what a joke!!!!
[/quote]

You could only have one school in that town and not win.  I mean, Channelview?????  C'mon man!!

Guest Ranger83
Your assertion has no merit and your comparrison to C'view is assinine.

Baytown has it's fair share of athletes. Always has. It does not, however, have enough good athletes to field 3 varsity teams.

Combine the schools in GCCISD and see what happens.

Lee has had plenty of playoff teams over the past 20 years.
There are WAY more Baytown athletes, even per capita, that go on to play college football than Crosby, Dayton or Barbers Hill.
Baytown is crawling with athletes.
Olin was the only one that could figure out a way to win though.

It comes down to coaching, structure and discipline, and Baytown schools do not have it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder