concession stand

chevy13

[quote name="Bridge City Kitty" post="892567" timestamp="1288497449"]
Get Some....you are SERIOUSLY misinformed.  I don't have a CLUE where you get your "surplus funds" information from and truly don't care.  I can tell you that at BCYRA for one - and more are in our situation than not - we DO NOT have a surplus of funds and depend solely on the concession stand to pay our officials, buy equipment we need, pay for our lawn equipment AND TO OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS to furnish equipment and uniforms to the kids who cannot otherwise afford to play.  So...is asking someone to buy food at our concession stand ridiculous?  NO, and if it is, don't eat, it's a two hour game, just wait, that way no rules are violated and no one else decides to do the same thing because they saw another do it.  No association has a problem with drinks being brought FOR THE TEAMS, [b][size=12pt]but everyone [/size] [/b] has a problem with people bringing in food/drinks for the fans at a youth football event when we need every penny. 
[/quote]

I don't. If someone is bringing in food, it's for a reason. They can't afford to eat out or maybe they prefer something else. Whatever the reason, too few do it for it to be an issue.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Queen, I found Orangefield's prices to be very reasonable too.  I was there at the playoffs for 14 hours yesterday and I confess I left to eat at lunch time because I didn't want to eat concession stand food all day.  The real problem is not someone feeding themselves, but people who bring entire picnic baskets, coolers and even worse try to pull a pit to the field and bypass the concession stand all together for large [b][i]groups[/i][/b] of people...i.e. tailgating at a youth field.  That is where most of the associations draw the line.  Will I say something to someone bringing their own sonic bag in, or their own individual food?  No, but will I stop someone with an ice chest for their group (not the players or cheerleaders, but just spectators), or a picnic basket for a group?  YOU BET!!

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="892871" timestamp="1288546852"]
[b][size=12pt]but everyone [/size] [/b] has a problem with people bringing in food/drinks for the fans at a youth football event when we need every penny. 

I don't. If someone is bringing in food, it's for a reason. They can't afford to eat out or maybe they prefer something else. Whatever the reason, too few do it for it to be an issue.
[/quote]

LOL, ok tragichippy, I stand corrected.  The individual associations have a problem with it, not everyone.  read my last post, it may clear what I am saying up. 

Thanks! 

[quote name="Bridge City Kitty" post="892888" timestamp="1288547306"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=74969.msg892871#msg892871 date=1288546852]
[b][size=12pt]but everyone [/size] [/b] has a problem with people bringing in food/drinks for the fans at a youth football event when we need every penny. 

[/quote]

LOL, ok tragichippy, I stand corrected.  The individual associations have a problem with it, not everyone.  read my last post, it may clear what I am saying up. 

Thanks! 
[/quote]

:)

The ones being sarcastic and think it is ridiculious, then join the board. You quickly find out that it takes every penny to make the organization run. First of all, you dont have to eat for a 2 hour game, so if you dont by from the concession wait until the game is over. If you have more than one game and dont want to buy from conession, then wait. Unless you have a medical condition, I dont think anyone is going to have to be rushed to the hospital not eating for 4 or 5 hours. I As for as the drinks and/food for players at halftime, team coolers are always allowed.
And yes, they will raise you registration fee if they cannot pay their bills.

The last thing, it really is irratating to pick Mcdonald's, Sonic, Taco Bell, tetc trash... if you do bring it, at least pick up your crap.

I would like to thank WOS & PNG, they always support the concessions

WOS....get ready, you will need to serve steak, baked potatoes, desserts, gourmet coffees and teas at your game...God forbid you serve 'concession stand type food' prepared by volunteers at YOUR games.  Does anyone hear the sarcasm in my statements, 'cause I am laying it on kinda thick to benefit misguided, misinformed 'people' (I'll be nice) here.

Seriously...WOS always has a great concession stand, keep up the good work!

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="893082" timestamp="1288560924"]
Unless you have a medical condition, I dont think anyone is going to have to be rushed to the hospital not eating for 4 or 5 hours. [/quote]

No, but if you have a toddler or small child and it's 100 degrees out, 3-4 hours without water can create a medical emergency. 

[quote name="LilBobcatMom" post="893237" timestamp="1288574491"]
[quote author=Bulldog8 link=topic=74969.msg893082#msg893082 date=1288560924]
Unless you have a medical condition, I dont think anyone is going to have to be rushed to the hospital not eating for 4 or 5 hours. [/quote]

No, but if you have a toddler or small child and it's 100 degrees out, 3-4 hours without water can create a medical emergency. 
[/quote]
I said "EAT"...

Again,  small children, toddlers, and even breast feeding is appropriate.  Just no coolers, picnics for everyone, or if you must , have it at your car.  IF there is not a rule in place at your league, its all good.  But if there is, please be understanding. 

Good Heavens do not show up to a Lonestar league game with outside food not only do they take your picture while you are eating it, they send it to the food Nazi's who then fine the league of the culprits....Note to self wear opposing team attire next time I eat outside food at a Lonestar game.

ok, for the record, COOLERS, ICE CHESTS, SNACKS ARE ALLOWED FOR PLAYERS AND CHEERLEADERS [u][i][b]ONLY[/b][/i][/u]!!  For personal use they are prohibited, which means no one BUT the players/cheerleaders should have any food or drinks brought in.  Now no one is unreasonable, if there is a medical reason for carrying the food/beverages, no problem.  If it's just you don't want to buy the food/beverages or don't like the selection, tough.  Wait until after your game, no game lasts longer than two hours.  As to not liking the selection - have you ever gone to a restaurant and asked to bring a coke in because they served pepsi products and you didn't want them?  I think not, just handle it just like you would anywhere else.  All concession stands offer a variety of drinks/foods.

I find it hilarious when someone who thinks he's all that and a bag of chips (from the concession stand, please) because he's a coach and drinks beer with a couple of other bubbas from other leagues purports to know the leagues finances.  Most of these "coaches" don't even participate in league field maintenance, regardless of whether it's football, soccer, or baseball.  They are much too imporant for trivial matters like making sure the league has enough money to operate.  A lot of them live through their kids, and it is beneath them and their station in life to help with anything else other than coaching...why help?  Nobody notices the guys and gals busting their hump in the concession stand...but everybody notices a prima donna dad on the field...

As to the "concession stand food costs too much" crowd...I bet you don't put up one little protest when you go to Reliant Stadium or Minutemaid, pay big bucks JUST to get in, pay 7.00 for a hot dog, and 6.00 for nachos.  Does any of this money go toward supporting a league?  Nope!  Does any of this money go toward helping kids play ball?  Nope.  It all makes rich guys richer.  Do you go to the above mentioned parks with food in your purses?  Nope...they would throw you out!  Do you go up to the ticket taker and tell him that simce their food is "too spicy", you're going to bring your own in?  Nope...What you will spend on JFL games all season is a drop in the bucket for what you will sepnd for ONE GAME at the big ball parks.  Please...if you want to really know what it costs to run a league, be on the board, and volunteer for more than the usual "look at me" roles in the league.  Get into the concession stand, work, and help make your league a success instead of being a bunch of prima donnas!

Elhector you are in the wrong league, or you need to have a serious talk to your board. Last week I reffed, ran the chains, concessioned, finally got to coach, and then I got to stay late and help clean up. This is a typical game day for all of our coaches and parents

[quote name="MoFo" post="893811" timestamp="1288636361"]
Elhector you are in the wrong league, or you need to have a serious talk to your board. Last week I reffed, ran the chains, concessioned, finally got to coach, and then I got to stay late and help clean up. This is a typical game day for all of our coaches and parents
[/quote]

Then you have a GREAT league MoFo. Your parents understand the need to work together to succeed...something that is apparently NOT happening everywhere, judging by all the "belly aching" posts on here...

[size=10pt]"Do you go up to the ticket taker and tell him that since their food is "too spicy", you're going to bring your own in?  Nope..."

--------------
I do believe this is in reference to something that I said.    First off, I do complain about the prices at the stadiums you referred to elhector1.  I think it is outrageous so therefore, I do not buy the stuff.  Yes, I do bring my own snacks when I am fortunate enough to go to these places; thank you for bothering to ask and assume that the answer is NO.

Have you thought that there are people who have medical reasons that prevent them from eating the spicy, greasy food that most concession stands offer?  Has it crossed your mind that there are people who have medical problems that prevents them from going without snacks for very long (i.e.: diabetes)?  When a concession stand does not offer diet drinks, and this happens often, and that is ALL you can have and you want a cold soda; you are dang right I am going to bring my own personal cooler.  I have a right to drink what I want just as much as the next person.  If my bringing my own bag of chips because it is healthier then the fritos that are offered .. or I bring a ham and cheese sandwich in case the concession stand is on the other side of the field and I feel myself bottoming out and I know that I will not make it across the field for a candy bar (SUGAR), you are dang right I'm going to get into that cooler and eat whatever I need. 

Everyone is saying coaches are at the field for hours; guess what?  So am I!!!!  That is just at the field.  Not counting the time I spend before the games so that my son can practice with his team.  Most Saturday's are spent "footballing it".[/size]  Just because I provide for myself, and you see me with a cooler, that does not mean that I am not supporting the team or league.  It simply means that I cannot eat what is offered. 

See, I understand the diabetic angle...I have a son who is type II (adult onset).  I feel though, that if you talk to the concession stand folks, they will provide, in limited supply, diet drinks.  Why limited?  Because, while restaurants and other places (eating establishments) can buy in bulk, and therefore have a better profit to expense ratio, a concession stand doesn't have that option.  We had to buy in limited quantities because we couldn't store larger quantities.  Additionally, the spicy, salty, super sweet stuff, is, sadly, the cheapest. 

Here is where we are going to disagree...to me, spending time, even all day, at the ball park, is distinctly different from working the whole day at the ball park.  Those folks working at the concession stand probably have kids that are playing as well, but, in most leagues, it's always the same one taking turns...too many other folks want to spend all day with their kid, understandable, but the work of the league needs to get done.  I am assuming that you haven't worked the concession stand because you didn't mention it in your post.  It would help if you did, not for any brownie points, but 1) because the league needs you, and 2) you can provide a needed perspective for those who suffer with diabetes like you, and this could also help in changing the fare in the concession stand. 

BTW...to all the concession stand folks out there...1 case of Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper won't kill your budget...and it might actually increase your profits.  In addition, maybe some less salty, and different fare might increase the intake as well as creating some goodwill.  For those who desire it, speak up!  In fact, if I knew how to create a poll, I would create one with regard to concession stand food ideas.  (Within reason, don't get stupid and say "filet mignon for 5 bucks",... this is for the kids)

I have volunteered for the concession stand in the past (not football season; baseball season).  At that time, I was not concerned about what was being offered because I had no reason to be picky about what I ate or drank.  Times have changed for ME.

I may not do the concession stand but I do contribute each game.  You often see me picking up trash in the stands and throwing it away.  If there are no stands and we, the parents are sitting in our own chairs, then I am going up and down the field picking up trash there too.  More then once I went into my cooler to make a quick ice pack for an injured kid (mine, yours, doesn't matter who he is playing for; he's a kid).  I hear a child crying near me because he/she is hungry and the parent says they don't have money, you bet you I'm going to give that baby something to eat from what I have (cookies, crackers, etc).  I do that so often that some of the kids tend to look for me at the games just to see what kind of cookie I can give them.  It's almost a game after a little while.  Trust me, I also buy from the concession stand; just not for myself.  My kids love it when I am leaving the fields and ask the concession stands what do they have left; 9 out of 10 times, I buy the links or hot dogs and such that is left over and bring them home. 

Dont look at me and my cooler and think I am cheating the kids out of support.  That is far from the truth.  Not everyone who brings their own food is doing it to be mean.  They simply have no choice.

A parent does not have to be working the concession stand to be a benefit to the team or fans.  Please understand and accept that.

No harm done.  I just felt that I needed to get the point across that not everyone who brings in their own food is trying to hurt the league and kids.  There are circumstances that require the parents to be more picky as to what is eaten.

I will also say that YES the health department does check the facility or is supposed to. I know in Beaumont they do, and I might add that West End Little League has received an A every year that I have been around, they have a great volunteer crowd, and some of the best food around.
As an umpire that travels around, I might also add that we as umpires have our favorites West End--Philly Cheesesteak, North End You gotta have the wings, Close toss up between Amelia and Jasper's hamburgers, Kountze bbq, I could keep going on but I am getting hungry.

MoFo:I will probably get some grief for saying this since I am WOS, but have you had the burgers from Bridge City Little League?  My kids played baseball for them for several years and I have to say, they made the best burgers!  Just asking .. and you're right .. all this talk of food is making me hungry right about now.  Sigh, where are my crackers?  ::)

No doubt, y'all, that there are a lot of things out there that are good...

Queenb, thanks for picking up...I should have included that in my original post, but didn't.  There is nothing more IGNORANT that picking up Taco Bell, McDonald's, BK, etc...trash from people who complain and moan about the league, but will do nothing to help it...picking up trash helps A LOT...

and mikelbene...ummm...RUDE.  You are probalby one of the lazies, that is much worse than the people you mention...future posts of your will be ignored, as you bring nothing to the table but idiocy...have a nice life!

queenb, Nellie burgers at Twin County Little League...links at Pop Warner Cobra games, I have been in the concession stands of both, and seen the work we put into it...but I see your points...we used to carry Diet drinks at TCLL...

I guess most of us that comment, with notable exceptions, are the "5%ers"...those that work 100% of the time, so the other 95% can sit and complain...100% of the time...

[quote name="queenb77630" post="893895" timestamp="1288642350"]
elhector: I think I know who you are!!!  My kids played for Wesco, then TCLL, and moved to BCLL when TCLL was no more!

:o
[/quote]

After Rita, the electricity was so torn up, that the concession stand couldn't operate.  The president at the time, scheduled afternoon games, and cooked on a pit, sold drinks out of an ice cooler, all so a season could take place.  Guess what? ... We had people, who were electricians, complain and moan about not playing night games...I guess that is why I get so bent out of shape at times...

I was there for 3 years, I think it was from 2000-2003 as the league president and bottle washer, then coached Junior and Senior league for 3 years...I hate to see the park in such disrepair, and I hate to see Little League affiliated baseball gone from Orange...but the money isn't there anymore to fix things...where is Extreme Home Makeover when you need them...?...lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298