Cleveland...where did you go?

I remember a better day, a kinder day, not to long ago for Indian football. The days where trash talking and bold predictions were part of make up of Friday nights in Ctown. Three straight trips to the playoffs and two district titles later, the team and the town are still trying to sort out the wreckage of questionable district leadership and the theory that prevailed to get us where we are now. Injuries and youth are the process of change that all programs endure, but the senseless changing of the guard(coaching) is not. The present team is composed of several three year lettermen who are suffering through a season that was not their doing. It is hard as a fan to see the many people affected by all that has happened since this summer. I know it is just high school football, but good luck on selling that to the kids who went through two-a-days and the fans there faithfully every Friday night. I know it's never over till it's over but I hear the fat lady tuning up. To all the mighty Indians sell'in out and giving it their all on Friday nights I want to say "Thank you." Play each game like it is your last, because one day it will be. Best of luck in the batttle of the C's! ROLL...TRIBE...ROLL!

[quote name="indian15/16" post="865911" timestamp="1286236104"]
I remember a better day, a kinder day, not to long ago for Indian football. The days where trash talking and bold predictions were part of make up of Friday nights in Ctown. Three straight trips to the playoffs and two district titles later, the team and the town are still trying to sort out the wreckage of questionable district leadership and the theory that prevailed to get us where we are now. Injuries and youth are the process of change that all programs endure, but the senseless changing of the guard(coaching) is not. The present team is composed of several three year lettermen who are suffering through a season that was not their doing. It is hard as a fan to see the many people affected by all that has happened since this summer. I know it is just high school football, but good luck on selling that to the kids who went through two-a-days and the fans there faithfully every Friday night. I know it's never over till it's over but I hear the fat lady tuning up. To all the mighty Indians sell'in out and giving it their all on Friday nights I want to say "Thank you." Play each game like it is your last, because one day it will be. Best of luck in the batttle of the C's! ROLL...TRIBE...ROLL!
[/quote]

Vote em out or move your kids to Dayton.  Seriously, poor decisions by your board and leadership are negatively affecting your athletes.

[quote name="indian15/16" post="865951" timestamp="1286237976"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=73970.msg865943#msg865943 date=1286237551]
Didn't Cleveland have a couple key players move? 
[/quote]Not a one. Only Huffman returned more starters in our district.
[/quote]

Lets look at the past 3 years of good athletes moving out.  Heavy moved to North Shore.  Chaz moved to Atascosita. The other Woods moved to Humble.  The Diboll kid moved back to Diboll.  The back up QB (Rodriguez) who would have started after the twins injury moved to Tarkington. You cant say everything was happy in Happy town. 

The thing I find interesting is...does anybody REALLY know where the fault lies? is it with the board members? is it with the Supt.?? the Principal?? The one thing that we DO know...the kids are paying for it. We as educators are SUPPOSED to have the kids interests at heart, but in Cleveland..Not so fast my friend!!

At what point do you stop questioning the Head Coach and start questioning some of the staff that was left over from the last regime, and the effort of the present athletes that are in the program.  Everyone is too quick to blame the head coach who is in his first year at Cleveland and was hired in the first week of July.  I know that the first year Tullos was at Cleveland, they also struggled.  Once this head coach gets "his staff" coaching the kids and has a year with the kids to build a relationship, things will be looking up for Cleveland again I am sure.  They have some good athletes in the lower levels and will be good again.  I just hope they give the new coach enough time to turn things around because he is a good man and a good coach.  Good Luck to Cleveland for the rest of the season and I hope you get some W's under your belt.

[quote name="2MADRE" post="866393" timestamp="1286291575"]
At what point do you stop questioning the Head Coach and start questioning some of the staff that was left over from the last regime, and the effort of the present athletes that are in the program.  Everyone is too quick to blame the head coach who is in his first year at Cleveland and was hired in the first week of July.  I know that the first year Tullos was at Cleveland, they also struggled.  Once this head coach gets "his staff" coaching the kids and has a year with the kids to build a relationship, things will be looking up for Cleveland again I am sure.  They have some good athletes in the lower levels and will be good again.  I just hope they give the new coach enough time to turn things around because he is a good man and a good coach.  Good Luck to Cleveland for the rest of the season and I hope you get some W's under your belt.
[/quote]

well said

Guest Indian 4-life

Indian15/16, you are a Cleveland school board member, instead of getting on here and asking why doesnt our kids have support, show up for their practices and listen to how these coaches talk and treat these kids, you have talented kids who never missed one day of practice and stand on the sideline the whole game, this new coach needed to come in and give respect in order to receive it, instead he came in and demanded it and now has none. I have a son on Varsity who has played football since the age of 4, now he wants to quit along with the rest of the players, however, we dont us the word QUIT in our home, so he will finish the season out, its very frustrating as a parent to sit in the stands every Friday night and know the same plays that are being called and seeing the same kids NOT being able to complete them. And before you ask, no I'm not one of those parents who's child didnt get to play, I say play whom ever needs to play in order to get your WIN, according to our record thats not being done!

Indian for life........do you even know what offense cleveland runs, or how to spell "use". If your baby is not playing it is probably cause he is not one of the best 11 out there......what is funny to me is how little you know about some of the teams cleveland has played. Silsbee, and Brookshire are some of the top programs in the state so if you think you know more about football than the coaches, go out and get a degree and coach, if not than let it go........bottom line......cleveland would still be in the same boat if they had someone else.........as playa said, the senior class that is there now is only half of what it used to be.......Those kids are good, but it take more that a few seniors to get it done

If I'm not mistaken the only player cleveland lost from last year was the qb that got injured and like 5 srs. They have the best de in the state and awhole crap load of talent everywhere else so don't blame this season on lack of talent cause they probably have more of it than anyone in the district. But u can't expect a coach to come in a win games when has been there for like 4 months that's just not reasonable.

[quote name="Indian 4-life" post="866516" timestamp="1286301811"]

Indian15/16, you are a Cleveland school board member, instead of getting on here and asking why doesnt our kids have support, show up for their practices and listen to how these coaches talk and treat these kids, you have talented kids who never missed one day of practice and stand on the sideline the whole game, this new coach needed to come in and give respect in order to receive it, instead he came in and demanded it and now has none. I have a son on Varsity who has played football since the age of 4, now he wants to quit along with the rest of the players, however, we dont us the word QUIT in our home, so he will finish the season out, its very frustrating as a parent to sit in the stands every Friday night and know the same plays that are being called and seeing the same kids NOT being able to complete them. And before you ask, no I'm not one of those parents who's child didnt get to play, I say play whom ever needs to play in order to get your WIN, according to our record thats not being done!

[/quote]Wow! You sure assume to know a lot about me. Read the blog again for your own sake. If you think this is effort to call out the community, you could not be further from the truth. I am simply taking inventory of where our program resides in the events that have unfolded in the last six months. The new coaching staff is in a tight spot, as well as the players. I felt all the changes could be a formula for disaster but I wanted to be wrong. I am just a fan of the program that vents frustration when needed. I have great regret for the players and their families for the tough season endured to this point. It's not over till it's over. A couple of wins from the Indians go a long ways. I try to remain objective and at the same time I bleeded Indian red. I stand by the Indians thru thick and thin. ROLL...TRIBE...ROLL!

[/quote]
The difference between Coach Tullos when he came in and Coach Maples is that Coach Tullos inherited a losing program that was going nowhere. Coach Tullos did have a mediocre year his first year but he brought in quality coaches, demanded discipline, respected the kids and in return had the respect of the kids and was able to upright a sinking ship.
Coach Maples on the other hand inherited a highly successful program with 16 returning starters. Coach Maples biggest mistake was to try to change up an offense that these kids ran for 3 years (with much success) in such a short time. (actually his biggest mistake was taking a job in a district where certain board members think they have the authority to try and run the athletic program and a super who does not have the back bone to stand up and support his A.D.) I believe that if Coach Maples can weather the storm and has a chance to run his program with the opportunity to have an off season he will probably be successful as Cleveland has as much talent as any one in the district.

[quote name="RexFry" post="866628" timestamp="1286312793"]
The difference between Coach Tullos when he came in and Coach Maples is that Coach Tullos inherited a losing program that was going nowhere. Coach Tullos did have a mediocre year his first year but he brought in quality coaches, demanded discipline, respected the kids and in return had the respect of the kids and was able to upright a sinking ship.
Coach Maples on the other hand inherited a highly successful program with 16 returning starters. Coach Maples biggest mistake was to try to change up an offense that these kids ran for 3 years (with much success) in such a short time. (actually his biggest mistake was taking a job in a district where certain board members think they have the authority to try and run the athletic program and a super who does not have the back bone to stand up and support his A.D.) I believe that if Coach Maples can weather the storm and has a chance to run his program with the opportunity to have an off season he will probably be successful as Cleveland has as much talent as any one in the district.
[/quote]
True Rex.
Indian 15/16- way to support your team!

[/quote]

FYI the only varsity coaches that were left over from the old regime are wigley, driver, and rodriquez, who are all defensive coaches...not really an area where the inidans are struggling, anyone else who was left had no varsity responsiblity for tullos and i doubt have much for maple.  The head coach will always be questioned for everything just as tullos was ridiculed by his sup for his coaches watching a servalence video which ulitmately got him/them fired...yes certain kids moved and stop playing after tullos was fired and it did hurt to lose the qb in the scrimmage but the offense has gotten worse as the year has gone on and last i checked maple and his STAFF control that.  Once again i think maple is a good guy who got stuck in a bad situation.  Nobody realizes how much those coaches meant to those kids and there was not enough time to develop a bond with the players.  Once again there is noone else to blame but the puppet/sup and puppet masters/school board. 

[quote name="indian15/16" post="865911" timestamp="1286236104"]
[/quote]

they got okay for those three years but were playing horrible football right before that and horrible football right now. 07-08 was one of their "good years" and we came there and won 30-0 and won again first round of the playoffs by like 18 or so (dont remember exact score) in a rainy game with many turnovers.

Regardless of any of this, The Sup, principal, school board, town of Cleveland, etc was aware of the offense that Maples ran and was bringing.  He was hired the end of July to put in an offense that takes years to learn successfully.  Indian4life, its easy to sit the bench and be happy when your winning

The one thing I can say is that when we played Cleveland this year the boys played with a ton of discipline and it was really good to see them play a good clean game. The the last few years Cleveland has been good but the one thing that turned other towns against them and not want to root for them in the playoff was how the boys acted on the field. It is one thing to be good and cocky, but it is another to act the way they were allowed too. There is no doubt that Cleveland has some great athelets and will again be a force in the distric they are in, so don't take this as a "Don't be mad cause your team lost" cause that is not the case. As an outsider looking in, that is what a lot of people see. I think if the people of Cleveland allow this coach to get the program going in the next year or so, none of the Cleveland faithfull will be on here talking about what happend to Cleveland.

[quote name="hitchpin" post="867363" timestamp="1286402941"]
this explains alot, maybe now that it's taken care of things will return to "normal".....

[url=http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/10/06/cleveland_advocate/news/4210bat_with_rabies_ca.txt]Rabid bat found at Cleveland football stadium[/url]
[/quote]
Was it one of the mad posters on this forum?  jk...couldn't help myself.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder