Coogs Shoot Down Ganders

My name is Justin Aaron Kelm I am  a graduate of Crosby High School and  am a journalist and statistician. I write stories for the Crosby Cougars. I do independent stats as well.

By: [b]Justin Aaron Kelm[/b]

The Coogs came into Stall Worth Stadium seeking its first win of the year as they took on new District 19-4A running mate; the Baytown Lee Ganders. These Coogs were tired of there losing ways and were prepared to do anything by all means to ruin the Ganders night. The game kicked off with a bang and the Coogs defense didn’t hold giving up the nights first points on a 4 yard run by Gander running back Josh Brooks, but all was not lost. The point after attempt was no good and the score was now 6-0 in favor of Baytown Lee with 6:02 left in the 1st quarter. This game was different as the Coogs responded quickly to the Ganders defense, running back Jacoby Scott motored down the field and scored on a 2 yard rush, kicker Sam Fowler attempted the extra point but it was no good. This tied the game at 6 with 5:29 left in the 1st. The Coogs kicked off the ball after scoring on the first drive and neither team could score as both defensive units held each other in check. Jacoby Scott kept the Coogs offensive running as he stormed down the field and scored on a two yard scamper for his second score of the night giving the Coogs a small lead, 13-6 over the Ganders after Coogs kicker Sam Fowler connected on the extra point quarter came to a close. Just as the 2nd quarter came to a close, running back Jake ‘Peppe” Lafluer scored on a 15-yard run. The Coogs took a lead into the half 20-6; this was the Coogs first lead into half in the 2010 season. The 3rd quarter begun and the Coogs defense totally dominated the Ganders, resulting in a punt by the Ganders. The Coogs got the ball back and the man of the night Jacoby Scott had another 10 yard scamper to the end zone, totaling his scoring on the night to three rushing touchdowns, Fowler connected on the extra point and increased the lead to 27-6 in favor of the Coogs with 7:14 left in the 3rd Quarter.  The Coogs kicked off the ball to the Ganders and the defense couldn’t contain them. Ganders Quarterback Malcolm Ruben found Wideout Keith Johnson on an 8 yard jack. The Ganders made the score closer as (Emmanuel Torres kick), 04:28, 3rd was good, making the score 20-13. Feeling like the score was getting to close senior quarterback Dominic Merka got his name on the board as he found Wideout Willie Hebert on a 60 yard bomb. The score gave the Coogs a marginal lead as the Fowler kick was no good making the score 33-13 with 4:14 left in the 3rd. The Coogs defensive unit came back out on the field and thought they could stop the Gander Offensive unit quarterback Malcolm Ruben ran the ball 47 yards and down the Coogs throats, the (Emmanuel Torres kick was good), 00:48, 3rd, making the score33-20. The 4th quarter kicked off and Merka found Senior Wideout Forrest Tyler on a 19 yard pass making the score 39-20 as the Coogs got greedy and went for it on a two point conversion and failed with 8:15 left in the 4th quarter. The Coogs defense held out during the rest of the 4th quarter but then gave up its final points on the night on a Keith Johnson 2-yard run (Emmanuel Torres kick was good), 03:56 left in the 4th, making it 39-27 with little time left in the game. The Coogs offensive ran the ball down and the defensive units held the Ganders to the final whistle.  The Coogs lead to Jacoby Scott’s 171 rushing yards and three touchdowns helped give the Crosby football team its first win of the season Friday night, and spoiled Lee’s homecoming at Stall Worth Stadium. The Cougars ran away with a 39-27 win over the Ganders in the District 19-4A opener for both teams. Crosby now holds an overall record of 1-3 while Lee is 0-4. Lee actually had a slight advantage in first downs over Crosby, 22-18, and a huge advantage in total snaps, 72 for Lee and 47 for Crosby. But the Cougars, who out gained Lee with 415 total yards to 388 for the Ganders, had plenty of big plays. Crosby quarterback Dominic Merka completed 8 of 16 passes for 186 yards and two touchdowns. The Cougars (1-3, 1-0) will now prepare for their challenge against North Forest (Houston, TX). The Bulldogs come into District 19 4A challenge with a 2-2 record. In their last challenge, North Forest was knocked off by Goose Creek Memorial 28-12, in a league challenge.

The Coogs came into Stall Worth Stadium seeking its first win of the year as they took on new District 19-4A running mate; the Baytown Lee Ganders. These Coogs were tired of there losing ways and were prepared to do anything by all means to ruin the Ganders night.

Above is the first two sentences of your first paragraph. Take notes, listen up, and you might just learn something.

Stallworth is one word. The stadium is named after Dan Stallworth, former coach at Baytown High School. The Coogs were not seeking "its" first win, they were seeking "their" first win. The semicolon is also used incorrectly. When using a semicolon, you must have two independent phrases, one on each side of the semicolon. The word "these" is a demonstrative pronoun. If you use "these" you should not use the antecedent of the pronoun (Coogs) as the next word. Also, it is "tired of their losing ways", not "there losing ways." Lastly, you should not use three prepositional phrases in a row, which you did in the last eleven words. That is just poor, poor writing.

I have pointed out many mistakes in just the first two sentences. It is too painful for me to read further.

If I were your English teacher, I would fail you on this article. In short, it is horrible.

You people are awful and horrible. I graduated from Crosby High School int he Top 10%, I was number 25 in my class of 300. I made a 86 in Ms.Kelly E. Tumy's Dual Credit Class Comp. 1 English, , my junior year. Thank all of you for the negative comments you can fail me I try to be nice and write a story and get criticized for it. To all the people who use this site it makes me angry that you can attack me. I make some mistakes and your going to attack me for this. Get a life you arrogant bastards, I could care less what you all think. I try to do something nice and all I get is negative comments thanks to the one person who liked this article.

[quote name="jkelmcrosbygraduate2010" post="861902" timestamp="1285891988"]
You people are awful and horrible. I graduated from Crosby High School int he Top 10%, I was number 25 in my class of 300. I made a 86 in Ms.Kelly E. Tumy's Dual Credit Class Comp. 1 English, , my junior year. Thank all of you for the negative comments you can fail me I try to be nice and write a story and get criticized for it. To all the people who use this site it makes me angry that you can attack me. I make some mistakes and your going to attack me for this. Get a life you arrogant bastards, I could care less what you all think. I try to do something nice and all I get is negative comments thanks to the one person who liked this article.
[/quote]

Once again.....
He never came on here and said I am a college kid. HE portrayed himself as a journalist, so if you are going to say you are a journalist be prepared to take criticism. Don't lie about your credentials next time...and a statistician? I play Madden that doesn't make me an offensive coordinator.

I made a 86 in Ms.Kelly E. Tumy's Dual Credit Class Comp. 1 English......You brought this up why.....

[quote name="Kelly Basketball" post="862229" timestamp="1285904597"]
[quote author=jkelmcrosbygraduate2010 link=topic=73706.msg861902#msg861902 date=1285891988]
[/quote]

Once again.....
He never came on here and said I am a college kid. HE portrayed himself as a journalist, so if you are going to say you are a journalist be prepared to take criticism. Don't lie about your credentials next time...and a statistician? I play Madden that doesn't make me an offensive coordinator.

[b]I made a 86 in Ms.Kelly E. Tumy's Dual Credit Class Comp. 1 English......You brought this up why.....[/b]
[/quote]

the bolded part threw me too.... sounds like a line from SNL.... "I can do 100 pushups in 20 minutes!!!"..... "I drive a dodge stratus!!!" I am a Division Manager!! That is very important!! That is very important!! You don't talk to me like that!! People are scared of me!!

[quote name="Broncofan65" post="862314" timestamp="1285934867"]
Leave the kid alone. This is a sports forum not a english class.  ::)
[/quote]

It becomes a lot more like an english class when you label yourself as a journalist.

JAKelm... it obviously took a lot of hard work to do what you did. Keep working. To this day, I still have someone proofread anything official that I write.... So, I don't pretend to even know how hard  it is to do what you're trying to do.

[quote name="jkelmcrosbygraduate2010" post="861902" timestamp="1285891988"]
[/quote]

The problem isn’t your writing skills; it is your obvious inability to take criticism or correction. You are a young man that will soon be seeking a career, correct your mistakes and move on. Every one of these no good, sorry suckers would congratulate you if you improve.

No body hates you, in fact I challenge to correct your articles and let us read them again.

[quote name="Bill Dauterive" post="861129" timestamp="1285806583"]
The Coogs came into Stall Worth Stadium seeking its first win of the year as they took on new District 19-4A running mate; the Baytown Lee Ganders. These Coogs were tired of there losing ways and were prepared to do anything by all means to ruin the Ganders night.

Above is the first two sentences of your first paragraph. Take notes, listen up, and you might just learn something.

Stallworth is one word. The stadium is named after Dan Stallworth, former coach at Baytown High School. The Coogs were not seeking "its" first win, they were seeking "their" first win. The semicolon is also used incorrectly. When using a semicolon, you must have two independent phrases, one on each side of the semicolon. The word "these" is a demonstrative pronoun. If you use "these" you should not use the antecedent of the pronoun (Coogs) as the next word. Also, it is "tired of their losing ways", not "there losing ways." Lastly, you should not use three prepositional phrases in a row, which you did in the last eleven words. That is just poor, poor writing.

I have pointed out many mistakes in just the first two sentences. It is too painful for me to read further.

If I were your English teacher, I would fail you on this article. In short, it is horrible.
[/quote]

Wow we have a grammer expert on our hands. Your on the wrong page friend the IM gonna correct the young kids who are practicing there writing skills page is on the other Setx grammer correction page. Last I checked this is a sports site.

[quote name="jkelmcrosbygraduate2010" post="861054" timestamp="1285802648"]
My name is Justin Aaron Kelm I am  a graduate of Crosby High School and  am a journalist and statistician. I write stories for the Crosby Cougars. I do independent stats as well.

By: [b]Justin Aaron Kelm[/b]

The Coogs came into Stall Worth Stadium seeking its first win of the year as they took on new District 19-4A running mate; the Baytown Lee Ganders. These Coogs were tired of there losing ways and were prepared to do anything by all means to ruin the Ganders night. The game kicked off with a bang and the Coogs defense didn’t hold giving up the nights first points on a 4 yard run by Gander running back Josh Brooks, but all was not lost. The point after attempt was no good and the score was now 6-0 in favor of Baytown Lee with 6:02 left in the 1st quarter. This game was different as the Coogs responded quickly to the Ganders defense, running back Jacoby Scott motored down the field and scored on a 2 yard rush, kicker Sam Fowler attempted the extra point but it was no good. This tied the game at 6 with 5:29 left in the 1st. The Coogs kicked off the ball after scoring on the first drive and neither team could score as both defensive units held each other in check. Jacoby Scott kept the Coogs offensive running as he stormed down the field and scored on a two yard scamper for his second score of the night giving the Coogs a small lead, 13-6 over the Ganders after Coogs kicker Sam Fowler connected on the extra point quarter came to a close. Just as the 2nd quarter came to a close, running back Jake ‘Peppe” Lafluer scored on a 15-yard run. The Coogs took a lead into the half 20-6; this was the Coogs first lead into half in the 2010 season. The 3rd quarter begun and the Coogs defense totally dominated the Ganders, resulting in a punt by the Ganders. The Coogs got the ball back and the man of the night Jacoby Scott had another 10 yard scamper to the end zone, totaling his scoring on the night to three rushing touchdowns, Fowler connected on the extra point and increased the lead to 27-6 in favor of the Coogs with 7:14 left in the 3rd Quarter.  The Coogs kicked off the ball to the Ganders and the defense couldn’t contain them. Ganders Quarterback Malcolm Ruben found Wideout Keith Johnson on an 8 yard jack. The Ganders made the score closer as (Emmanuel Torres kick), 04:28, 3rd was good, making the score 20-13. Feeling like the score was getting to close senior quarterback Dominic Merka got his name on the board as he found Wideout Willie Hebert on a 60 yard bomb. The score gave the Coogs a marginal lead as the Fowler kick was no good making the score 33-13 with 4:14 left in the 3rd. The Coogs defensive unit came back out on the field and thought they could stop the Gander Offensive unit quarterback Malcolm Ruben ran the ball 47 yards and down the Coogs throats, the (Emmanuel Torres kick was good), 00:48, 3rd, making the score33-20. The 4th quarter kicked off and Merka found Senior Wideout Forrest Tyler on a 19 yard pass making the score 39-20 as the Coogs got greedy and went for it on a two point conversion and failed with 8:15 left in the 4th quarter. The Coogs defense held out during the rest of the 4th quarter but then gave up its final points on the night on a Keith Johnson 2-yard run (Emmanuel Torres kick was good), 03:56 left in the 4th, making it 39-27 with little time left in the game. The Coogs offensive ran the ball down and the defensive units held the Ganders to the final whistle.  The Coogs lead to Jacoby Scott’s 171 rushing yards and three touchdowns helped give the Crosby football team its first win of the season Friday night, and spoiled Lee’s homecoming at Stall Worth Stadium. The Cougars ran away with a 39-27 win over the Ganders in the District 19-4A opener for both teams. Crosby now holds an overall record of 1-3 while Lee is 0-4. Lee actually had a slight advantage in first downs over Crosby, 22-18, and a huge advantage in total snaps, 72 for Lee and 47 for Crosby. But the Cougars, who out gained Lee with 415 total yards to 388 for the Ganders, had plenty of big plays. Crosby quarterback Dominic Merka completed 8 of 16 passes for 186 yards and two touchdowns. The Cougars (1-3, 1-0) will now prepare for their challenge against North Forest (Houston, TX). The Bulldogs come into District 19 4A challenge with a 2-2 record. In their last challenge, North Forest was knocked off by Goose Creek Memorial 28-12, in a league challenge.

[/quote]

You have been hammered pretty severely for your use of the English language, so ill step off that for second and try to provide you with a little tip.  No one wants to read a play by play of the games when reading a write up.  As a writer, you should probably do a little better job focusing on the emotion of the game itself.  Anyone, and I mean anyone can write a play by play report of a game.  It takes a special journalist and writer to capture the moment and place them into words.  You are young, and you’ll be fine.  Take the criticism with an open mind, and learn from it.  If you can’t do that, then you are probably not going to make it as a journalist.

keep your head up kid. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiaa