how many times has your team been in the state finals

skipper

Yes, Alan was all everything at Byrne.  He was in the class ahead of me and Billy Ray was a senior when I was a freshman.  Alan's senior year was the last district champion team at Byrne.  I really miss that school.  No games or homecoming to go to.  Lots of memories in the halls of that old building.  I now consider Dayton as my high school.  My wife graduated from there and our son is a sophomore there, he is one of the big offensive lineman.

[quote name="oldrock" post="848087" timestamp="1284578126"]
Yes, Alan was all everything at Byrne.  He was in the class ahead of me and Billy Ray was a senior when I was a freshman.  Alan's senior year was the last district champion team at Byrne.  I really miss that school.  No games or homecoming to go to.  Lots of memories in the halls of that old building.  I now consider Dayton as my high school.  My wife graduated from there and our son is a sophomore there, [b]he is one of the big offensive lineman.[/b]
[/quote]

#66 or #51??... 51's not big in stature but plays awfully big.

Thanks.  We have a really young line.  The tackles were both seniors and the guards and center were sophomores.  The sophomore class is the class that lost 2 games in 7th grade and went undefeated in 8th and 9th grades so these 2 losses to start the season are a little reality check for them.  They will be just fine the rest of the year.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="847525" timestamp="1284497608"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=72988.msg847517#msg847517 date=1284497423]
Thanks Brook. That's just what I wanted to hear.  Played on the Sterling team that tied Brook in the Dome that year. Sure wish we would of had OT back then.
[/quote]

You sure that wasn't the WO-S team in '85 that y'all tied?
[/quote]
This was the 85' Sterling team that tied, i believe the #3 state ranked WOS team. 1 minute left and WOS tied on Penetrations and Sterling ahead on first downs, WOS drove about 70 yards in a minute to win the game on penetrations. WOS had around 200 or so yards in the first half and under 200 going into that last drive. Sterling had one heck of a defense that year and made major adjustments to shut WOS down in the 2nd half. WOS had great athletes at every position it seemed. Sterling's Defensive Coordinaor was Jerry Stewart, current head coach at Dayton.

[quote name="stevieray" post="848243" timestamp="1284596708"]
Been too long for us, but 4 times in the 90's....won all four beating LaMarque 3 times and the beloved Indians from PNG once.

[/quote]How well I remember those games (or would rather not). You guys were the only team that stood between us and 6 titles in a row.

La Marque State title appearances = Nine       1986, 1993,1994,[b]1995,1996,1997,[/b]1998, [b]2003 & 2006[/b]
Title Rings on one hand = Five (years in bold above)
Set all-time winning record for any team in any classification during the 90's
Went to 6 straight title appearances, only team to ever do that was Waco back in the 1920's

;)

[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="847798" timestamp="1284522098"]
Bridge City went twice that I know of. 1965 lost but I don't remember to who. 1966 won against Mckenny 30-6. I think this is the two years they went. I moved to BC in the late 70's and don't know if they had ever been earlier than the mid 60's.
[/quote]

BC lost to Brownwood.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="849340" timestamp="1284760976"]
Can we consider LaMarque a contender again?
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]I'll have a more definitive answer after next weeks district opener vs. Manvel. No disrespect intended to our pre-district opponents but it's hard to assess how strong they will be playing average or less than average opponents thus far. I will say this though...Tim Wright is a monster and comes as advertised. He had 436 yards and 6 TD's before last night's game (3 total now) where he had 244 more yards and tacked on 2 more td's.[/b][/color]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    asfdefsa02
    Newest Member
    asfdefsa02