Enrollment numbers

[quote name="lcm2007ms" post="835251" timestamp="1283210489"]
I know they release the official numbers around the 12th class day but does anyone have any insight or estimate as to what the numbers may be?
[/quote]

Actually Lamar uses the 20th class day.

official numbers should be well into the 15k region. With a much higher growth in on campus rather than online enrollment as in previous years.

[quote name="CardAmbassador" post="835325" timestamp="1283216794"]
[quote author=lcm2007ms link=topic=72250.msg835251#msg835251 date=1283210489]
I know they release the official numbers around the 12th class day but does anyone have any insight or estimate as to what the numbers may be?
[/quote]

official numbers should be well into the 15k region. With a much higher growth in on campus rather than online enrollment as in previous years.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response and correction. Have you seen any numbers to indicate this?

[quote name="lcm2007ms" post="835370" timestamp="1283219646"]
[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=72250.msg835325#msg835325 date=1283216794]
[quote author=lcm2007ms link=topic=72250.msg835251#msg835251 date=1283210489]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the response and correction. Have you seen any numbers to indicate this?
[/quote]

I have seen unofficial figures since I work in a office on campus. This is just my speculation on where the numbers will hold based on prior years. On campus enrollment is definitely up though, Lamar turned away a considerable amount of students this year, In 10 years people may actually be fighting to get in to Lamar.

I remember that there was post on here earlier this year before the big confernce shakeup where some pundit was looking at, i think the Sun Belt and was projecting Lamar to move in it.  The article I think said that a minimum enrollment figure for the conference was 16k.  Looks like LU is well on its way.  This is really good news for LU and for Beaumont to see stong growth.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="835417" timestamp="1283222369"]
I remember that there was post on here earlier this year before the big confernce shakeup where some pundit was looking at, i think the Sun Belt and was projecting Lamar to move in it.  The article I think said that a minimum enrollment figure for the conference was 16k.  Looks like LU is well on its way.  This is really good news for LU and for Beaumont to see stong growth.[/quote]

The conference does not have a minimum enrollment figure!

If it does, ULM needs to go! They have under 9,000 students. UALR needs to be shown the door as well as Denver and Arkansas State...

I was digging around the LU website and saw some preliminary numbers from a month ago that said that credit hours are up 6% for the fall and up 16% from fall 2008.  It didn't break the number down between campus and online enrollment.  I think Lamar is shooting for about 2% enrollment growth a year on campus along with increasing the retention rate.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="835586" timestamp="1283260547"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=72250.msg835417#msg835417 date=1283222369]
I remember that there was post on here earlier this year before the big confernce shakeup where some pundit was looking at, i think the Sun Belt and was projecting Lamar to move in it.  The article I think said that a minimum enrollment figure for the conference was 16k.  Looks like LU is well on its way.  This is really good news for LU and for Beaumont to see stong growth.[/quote]

If it does, ULM needs to go! They have under 9,000 students. UALR needs to be shown the door as well as Denver and Arkansas State...

[/quote]

Maybe it was CUSA!  I don't remember the conference but I do remember the article.  UNLV would probably know.

At one point I remember reading some speculation on what enrollment would need to be in order to help support FBS level Conference competition/travel for all sports based on the current athletic fee per hour (I think is $8.75/hour). 
Seems like the 16k was tossed around then.

Seems like a good place to paste a comment by one of our posters. I can't believe he made this comment about Beaumont.

kingkat99

[b]Lamar is in a horrible part of an already dirty town[/b], and if it were not for the ability of so many home body students being able to go to school and live with Mommy the enrollment would prolly drop in half...although that seems to be helping the football program as the homesick transfers seem to be lining up...but aside from Ol Daddy Umphrey buying up the blocks of section 8 housing aroung the campus to be torn down for school use I'd like to see where the 20k are gonna live and be educated if they stay on campus...

Don't think I need to address these comments. Except no one is stating 20K are going to be living on campus. I believe that number is about 2,500 students as of now. 20K is what someone with knowledge of the university thinks the TOTAL enrollment will be in the next 10 years.  ::)

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="835648" timestamp="1283265919"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=72250.msg835586#msg835586 date=1283260547]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=72250.msg835417#msg835417 date=1283222369]
I remember that there was post on here earlier this year before the big confernce shakeup where some pundit was looking at, i think the Sun Belt and was projecting Lamar to move in it.  The article I think said that a minimum enrollment figure for the conference was 16k.  Looks like LU is well on its way.  This is really good news for LU and for Beaumont to see stong growth.[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe it was CUSA!  I don't remember the conference but I do remember the article.  UNLV would probably know.
[/quote]Yeah, I remember that article with LU going into the Sunbelt with 16k. But I can't remember where it is.
However BYU must decide by Wednesday on staying MWC or not. Then it'll be time for the WAC to fold or do some inviting...

UPDATE...BYU leaves MWC to go Indy. MWC looking at Houston.

[quote name="geezer" post="837100" timestamp="1283477872"]
For those wanting to talk conference realignment, The Big 12 is currently two short.  How about Houston and TCU to the B12 or can they steal tier 1 schools from some other BCS Conference?
[/quote]Big 12 already has the Texas market, TCU and Houston bring nothing.

Saw the University Press today.  Dr. Simmons stated that enrollment at the Beaumont campus could be about 1000 more than last year.  That's quite a jump.  The Kampus Korner has remodeled and is more of a sports bar now.  3 or 4 new restaurants/businesses are coming to the campus area this coming year.  He also stated the external research funding is now at $12 million, up from $3 million about 4 years ago.  Great things are happening on campus!

[quote name="coachacola" post="837221" timestamp="1283486308"]
Saw the University Press today.  Dr. Simmons stated that enrollment at the Beaumont campus could be about 1000 more than last year.  That's quite a jump.  The Kampus Korner has remodeled and is more of a sports bar now.  3 or 4 new restaurants/businesses are coming to the campus area this coming year.  He also stated the external research funding is now at $12 million, up from $3 million about 4 years ago.  Great things are happening on campus!
[/quote]Yes, very good solid growth. I think the research goal is $80 million so they have a long way to go.

[quote name="UNLV" post="837283" timestamp="1283520073"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=72250.msg837221#msg837221 date=1283486308]
[/quote]Yes, very good solid growth. I think the research goal is $80 million so they have a long way to go.
[/quote]

Does anyone know how that compares to other schools in the conference and to the likes of Texas,A&M, Rice, etc.

[quote name="lcm2007ms" post="837316" timestamp="1283523468"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72250.msg837283#msg837283 date=1283520073]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=72250.msg837221#msg837221 date=1283486308]
Saw the University Press today.  Dr. Simmons stated that enrollment at the Beaumont campus could be about 1000 more than last year.  That's quite a jump.  The Kampus Korner has remodeled and is more of a sports bar now.  3 or 4 new restaurants/businesses are coming to the campus area this coming year.  He also stated the external research funding is now at $12 million, up from $3 million about 4 years ago.  Great things are happening on campus!
[/quote]I have no idea about CC.
Does anyone know how that compares to other schools in the conference and to the likes of Texas,A&M, Rice, etc.
[/quote]

A&M is 40k+ enrollment.  UH is close to that.   Rice is only about 3,500 ot 4k, but they are all really bright!  Baylor is about 15k.
Here are the SLC schools except TX San An and TAMUCC.

Cent ARk     11,750
McNeese       8,250
Nicholls         6,800
NW La          9,250
Sam Houston  16,800
SE La          15,225
SFA             12,850
Tx STate     30,800

Tx San is probably close to 30k but ai

Update:  TAMU CC  10,000  Tx San  29,000

[quote name="coachacola" post="837221" timestamp="1283486308"]
[/quote]

I know this is probably a uninformed question but...

How does external research funding help the school? 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder