Select Softball Conflict with School Sports

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="821424" timestamp="1280329028"]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=71234.msg821387#msg821387 date=1280322722]
[quote author=Chill. link=topic=71234.msg821342#msg821342 date=1280291136]
Bleed, what the heck are you wasting your time with that for....some people just don't get it....I bet this has kept you off of FB... ;)

Lets all NOT forget, that this is happening in all sports, not just football and not just volleyball....YG from what I have heard you going to have the same problem if your kids play basketball.....I heard through the grapevine that basketball coaches don't allow their players to play on select teams during their season either, even if it doesn't interfer with games, or tournaments or practices....And if your players want to run track during softball, theres a problem there too....So, with that being said, looks like you might have a bigger fight than you thought....
[/quote]

Oh we get it.....we get that our kids #1 priority is SOFTBALL and they are willing to sacrifice many other things to achieve that goal, and when the HS coaches "get it" as you put it......maybe they will start getting more of the better athletes to play multiple sports and help their programs be more successful!

Again, it doesnt have to be like that. My DD doesnt play VB because of stupid "all or none" rules. However, she does do track AT THE SAME TIME AS SOFTBALL....why? because the softball coach and track coach work together. It was made clear that softball is her priorty, the track coaches work around that. She went to regionals as a freshman in the high jump and triple jump......she also placed in the district meet in long jump.

You are correct Bleed, H-J BB does require CC, thats another reason they lost BB players that are focused on SB.....the all or none method of thinking will only cause the HS sports teams to lose players.....and who does that benefit....neither!

[/quote]

Just what do you mean by this "all or none" rules? There are softball players that are playing volleyball at Silsbee.
[/quote]

Yes, in the do you play softball sense, what level of "softball" do they play?  My DD doesnt" just" play softball, she plays 5 showcase tournaments this fall. Those coaches spent the majority of my DD 8th grade year tracking her down to play VB.......however would not back off "punishment" if she were to miss any part due to her softball........hence leading to the I'm not playing at all stage she is in now!

All along I'm trying to talk her into playing VB......they are digging their own grave by blaming "me" for tellin her not to (which is wrong) telling her she wouldnt even get a SB scholarship due to burnout.....etc.etc..etc

She was also kicked off the cheerleading squad (JV) last year for missing an event....not for missing a game in which they cheered.....for missing the pregame run through of a varsity game (yes all of what 15 min) because she had to be in Plano for a showcase.....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy09,WOSgrad and AggiesAreWE
There is a qualification process to play at Southern Nationals so
not just anyone can play.
I will not sit here and let you belittle something that is important to these kids.
This just proves the point that all of the select ball coaches and parrents
are trying to make on this thread that care about the kids!!!
This tournament is very important to these kids that have been working all year
to play in eather ASA Nationals or ASA Southern Nationals.
To go to ASA Nat's you need to finish top 3 in State, if not, you are sent
to Southern Nat's. That tournament can and will open new doors to future tournaments
and college exposure in the future. To downgrade something kids find very important
to me shows you are in this forum for the wrong reasons and it is people like you
that are a large part of the problem.

[quote name="Tigers9" post="821456" timestamp="1280336373"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821424#msg821424 date=1280329028]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=71234.msg821387#msg821387 date=1280322722]
[quote author=Chill. link=topic=71234.msg821342#msg821342 date=1280291136]
Bleed, what the heck are you wasting your time with that for....some people just don't get it....I bet this has kept you off of FB... ;)

Lets all NOT forget, that this is happening in all sports, not just football and not just volleyball....YG from what I have heard you going to have the same problem if your kids play basketball.....I heard through the grapevine that basketball coaches don't allow their players to play on select teams during their season either, even if it doesn't interfer with games, or tournaments or practices....And if your players want to run track during softball, theres a problem there too....So, with that being said, looks like you might have a bigger fight than you thought....
[/quote]

Oh we get it.....we get that our kids #1 priority is SOFTBALL and they are willing to sacrifice many other things to achieve that goal, and when the HS coaches "get it" as you put it......maybe they will start getting more of the better athletes to play multiple sports and help their programs be more successful!

Again, it doesnt have to be like that. My DD doesnt play VB because of stupid "all or none" rules. However, she does do track AT THE SAME TIME AS SOFTBALL....why? because the softball coach and track coach work together. It was made clear that softball is her priorty, the track coaches work around that. She went to regionals as a freshman in the high jump and triple jump......she also placed in the district meet in long jump.

You are correct Bleed, H-J BB does require CC, thats another reason they lost BB players that are focused on SB.....the all or none method of thinking will only cause the HS sports teams to lose players.....and who does that benefit....neither!

[/quote]

Just what do you mean by this "all or none" rules? There are softball players that are playing volleyball at Silsbee.
[/quote]

Yes, in the do you play softball sense, what level of "softball" do they play?  My DD doesnt" just" play softball, she plays 5 showcase tournaments this fall. Those coaches spent the majority of my DD 8th grade year tracking her down to play VB.......however would not back off "punishment" if she were to miss any part due to her softball........hence leading to the I'm not playing at all stage she is in now!

All along I'm trying to talk her into playing VB......they are digging their own grave by blaming "me" for tellin her not to (which is wrong) telling her she wouldnt even get a SB scholarship due to burnout.....etc.etc..etc

She was also kicked off the cheerleading squad (JV) last year for missing an event....not for missing a game in which they cheered.....for missing the pregame run through of a varsity game (yes all of what 15 min) because she had to be in Plano for a showcase.....

[/quote]

Hey, 9.  You should move over to WO-S.  We let the ladies miss district volleyball games so they can go cheer.

[quote name="YG2009" post="821458" timestamp="1280336700"]
I will not sit here and let you belittle something that is important to these kids.
to Southern Nat's. That tournament can and will open new doors to future tournaments
and college exposure in the future. To downgrade something kids find very important
to me shows you are in this forum for the wrong reasons and it is people like you

[/quote]

Ok, before I respond.  Could you let me know where the Southern Nationals are being played?

[quote name="bleed orange" post="821432" timestamp="1280331083"]
[color=red]You are correct Bleed, H-J BB does require CC, thats another reason they lost BB players that are focused on SB.....the all or none method of thinking will only cause the HS sports teams to lose players.....and who does that benefit....neither![/color]

Maybe they were not BB players to begin with. Here is the deal with CC. At a small school they do not have enough coaches to assign a coach to be with the kids who are in athletics but or not playing the sport in season. What are these kids suppose to do during their atheltic period? Sit around and do nothing for an hour. At least in CC they are being active and staying in shape. Plus CC is the only other sport going on at that time. Kids that quit a sport were going to quit anyway because their heart was just not in a particular sport. If softball is your sport then fine play softball. Coaches are not losing kids because of certain policies. Kids are dropping out on their own.
[/quote]

Well here is the problem Bleed. These girls are admitting to being "SOFTBALL" players, that happen to also play other sports. Other sports that the AD is keeping them from playing due to the "all or none" rule.

I dont not agree that they would "quit" anyway........these kids are NOT quiting (they are being told they cant play).......they are making a decision to play SOFTBALL, which will conflict with another SECONDARY sport.

These kids love playing other sports and representing their school........just not at the expense of the game that they LOVE....not just "like a lot"!

They are not "dropping out" .....ask them, they will tell you that they want to play, ask why arent they playing..........BECAUSE THE AD WONT LET THEM!

[quote name="YG2009" post="821458" timestamp="1280336700"]

[/quote]

Believe me I know the process, place 4th or 44th at State and your in.

Good luck to your team and I hope it opens alot of doors for them.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="821450" timestamp="1280334740"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821447#msg821447 date=1280334484]
[quote author=Buddy09 link=topic=71234.msg821437#msg821437 date=1280332126]
This has been a good thread to read but am I correct in saying we are talking about

"Southern Nationals",  "Southern Nationals"  come on  "Southern Nationals".

Is this not the tournament for all the teams that did not qualify for the REAL Nationals. Anyone who plays ASA can attend this one.

Will not be any coaches watching this one. May be time to start Volleyball practice.
[/quote]

WOW!!!! Now this sheds new light on the subject. ;)

So anyone can play this tourney, hmmmmm..... So this team did not qualify, hmmmmmm.... No college scouts will be attending, hmmmmmmm..... This isn't the "year long trying to qualify" tourney, like it was mentioned before, hmmmmmmmm......

Interesting ;) ;D ::)
[/quote]

I agree.  
[/quote]
I don't agree, the AD in question has no idea what the tourament is about and it would not matter if it were the olympic's according to his strict stance on the issue. If we are to degrade the meaning of this tournament why don't we take into account how much practice these girls will actually miss. my opinion is that they will not miss enough to matter... JMO

[quote name="YG2009" post="821466" timestamp="1280337850"]
Southern Nat's is in Ridgeland Mississippi
That is located in the USA (figured that may help you being a setxsports admin and all)
[/quote]

Quite familiar with USA, thank you very much.  Now according to the ASA Website, that tournament runs from August 4th through August 8th, correct?  If so when are y'all leaving for Mississsippi?

I know that one of those "softball" girls that is playing volleyball at Silsbee is playing select softball at a high level. She was accomendated for her missing some time and she was allowed to get her practice pitching in during volleyball season, I know this as fact.

There is no "all or nothing" rule pertaining to Silsbee volleyball. Players and coaches are and have been working things out. It is not what you are trying to make it out to be or how you are spinning it for folks here on the site.

Years ago when Silsbee had another volleyball coach, that may have been the case, but it is not that way now. You might want to do some checking.

I'm surprised the questioning on the qualification methods for this tournament took as long as they did. But, there again, there aren't that many teams from this area that play ASA, which, depending on what you are looking for in a team, is the only result based qualification national softball tournament. For the ASA regional nationals (southern, northern, eastern & western), the only qualification for entering these tournaments is that you particpate in ASA advancement tournaments. So yes, the ASA Southern National is a participation based national tournament similar to USFA, IFA, USSSA, etc.  But the major advantage in playing in this particular tournament is that the 2 finalists from each regional national gets an automatic bid to next year's ASA National. So, kudos to YG's for the advance planning. Not much different than teams from California going to play in a New Jersey ASA Gold qualifier where the competition might not be as tough as their own state or to get as many chances as they can to qualify. It's difficult to qualify for ASA nationals, particularly from a small market like SE TX, so it's best to play every angle you can.

[quote name="YG2009" post="821473" timestamp="1280339625"]
aug 4th for most on the team
[/quote]

Almost done here.  YG2009, if a member of the Young Guns was to attend only 50% of the team practices and miss every one of the team's scrimmages (if such a thing occurs in Select Softball) what would be the status of that player?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="821474" timestamp="1280339703"]
I know that one of those "softball" girls that is playing volleyball at Silsbee is playing select softball at a high level. She was accomendated for her missing some time and she was allowed to get her practice pitching in during volleyball season, I know this as fact.

There is no "all or nothing" rule pertaining to Silsbee volleyball. Players and coaches are and have been working things out. It is not what you are trying to make it out to be or how you are spinning it for folks here on the site.

Years ago when Silsbee had another volleyball coach, that may have been the case, but it is not that way now. You might want to do some checking.
[/quote]

Apparently you arent up to the "facts" Mike........AND, I dont need a spin! I dealt with the current coach and assistant coach badgering my kid about playing VB just last year. I did all I could to convince her to play.......she was not willing to take the consequnces for missing, so she decided to just not play. Now if you are saying they have "changed" their policy since then.........GREAT! Still doesnt mean Ive exaggerated or added a spin! But then again when you coach the first team to NOT make the playoffs in 20 years.......maybe you should "change" something!

"at a high level" well, we will just have to agree to disagree on the definition of that!

I did notice you didnt even touch the other examples I stated.........cant wait to see if certain football players who were arrested for breaking into a school building OR for being arrested for drugs.....show up and participate in 2 a days!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="821485" timestamp="1280341803"]
[quote author=YG2009 link=topic=71234.msg821473#msg821473 date=1280339625]
[/quote]

Almost done here.  YG2009, if a member of the Young Guns was to attend only 50% of the team practices and miss every one of the team's scrimmages (if such a thing occurs in Select Softball) what would be the status of that player?
[/quote]
What is the reason they only attended 50 percent of practices and one scrimmage?

I did some research (thats code for googling for shackbully, rebel and BWcoach). In 2009 the 14U Southern Nationals was held in Fort Worth and the 12U Southern Nationals was held in MS. There were about 30 teams (all but 2 from TX) in the 14U and 9 teams in the 12U. I couldn't find the number of teams registered for this year's tournament, but I imagine that the large discrepancy in entrants was due to location (large market to small market).

Just like every other post on this thread, there will be division on how you look at this. On the one hand there will be those who say "All of this B.S. over a potential 9 team tournament" while others (particularly those with ASA experience) will see the odds advantage of a small tournament compared to typical TX ASA qualifiers where you may have 100+ teams vying for 3 to 6 qualifications.

[quote name="BS-er" post="821489" timestamp="1280342226"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=71234.msg821485#msg821485 date=1280341803]
[quote author=YG2009 link=topic=71234.msg821473#msg821473 date=1280339625]
[/quote]

Almost done here.  YG2009, if a member of the Young Guns was to attend only 50% of the team practices and miss every one of the team's scrimmages (if such a thing occurs in Select Softball) what would be the status of that player?
[/quote]
What is the reason they only attended 50 percent of practices and one scrimmage?
[/quote]

It's miss all scrimmages (you're right I should have worded that better, but I am just a dumb ole setxsports admin, right YG2009?).  But as to the reason, it doesn't matter.

[quote name="Tigers9" post="821488" timestamp="1280342083"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821474#msg821474 date=1280339703]

[/quote]

Apparently you arent up to the "facts" Mike........AND, I dont need a spin! I dealt with the current coach and assistant coach badgering my kid about playing VB just last year. I did all I could to convince her to play.......she was not willing to take the consequnces for missing, so she decided to just not play. Now if you are saying they have "changed" their policy since then.........GREAT! Still doesnt mean Ive exaggerated or added a spin! But then again when you coach the first team to NOT make the playoffs in 20 years.......maybe you should "change" something!

"at a high level" well, we will just have to agree to disagree on the definition of that!

I did notice you didnt even touch the other examples I stated.........cant wait to see if certain football players who were arrested for breaking into a school building OR for being arrested for drugs.....show up and participate in 2 a days!
[/quote]

There was no need to speak about those "other" examples. The point I was making was in regards to the volleyball/softball issue. I spoke to the volleyball coaches and they told me how it is.

BTW, your other examples said nothing about football players breaking into schools and getting arrested for drugs. ;) (I know you have a personal vendetta with the football team and it's coaches, I'm cool with that)

Carry on.

[quote name="YG2009" post="821487" timestamp="1280341924"]
Mc...buddy09 knew that...he knows the process
[/quote]

I stated I knew the process for getting in.  To be honest I never really thought about it after that.  ;)

Again good luck to your team.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="821513" timestamp="1280345403"]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=71234.msg821488#msg821488 date=1280342083]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There was no need to speak about those "other" examples. The point I was making was in regards to the volleyball/softball issue. I spoke to the volleyball coaches and they told me how it is.

BTW, your other examples said nothing about football players breaking into schools and getting arrested for drugs. ;) (I know you have a personal vendetta with the football team and it's coaches, I'm cool with that)

Carry on.
[/quote]

You may have spoke with them and it may be their new policy, however, I was speaking specifically of my kid and the situation we were in......that was the rule.....dont care about now. After that display of unprofessional actions, she would NOT play for them anyway, regardless of their "new" rules!

You accused me of "spinning it" to the public.....NO, I didnt! I spoke the FACTS of OUR situation!

Like I said, if you are the first staff to not make the playoffs in 20 years....id try something new also!

On the other: it shouldnt have anything to do with a "personal" vendetta! The people of Silsbee should be informed of the lack of discipline from our athletic dept. and have a problem with their action (or lack of) as well! Kids playing football who serve jail time without ANY punishment from the football team. And dont get into the they havent been convicted...etc.etc. Did you or your friends find yourselves in situations to even worry about that....and if you had....do you think it would have been handled like it is here?......So NO, its NOT a presonal vendetta.....it a community PROBLEM!

edited: Im sure I know your source, Id be carefull fighting battles or even questioning someone on their merit without talking to the other person....it will only bring you down, and make you look foolish! You do a great job here on SETXSports.....I would hate to see you lose credibility due to them!

[quote name="Tigers9" post="821536" timestamp="1280351963"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821513#msg821513 date=1280345403]
[quote author=Tigers9 link=topic=71234.msg821488#msg821488 date=1280342083]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Carry on.
[/quote]

You may have spoke with them and it may be their new policy, however, I was speaking specifically of my kid and the situation we were in......that was the rule.....dont care about now. After that display of unprofessional actions, she would NOT play for them anyway, regardless of their "new" rules!

You accused me of "spinning it" to the public.....NO, I didnt! I spoke the FACTS of OUR situation!

Like I said, if you are the first staff to not make the playoffs in 20 years....id try something new also!

On the other: it shouldnt have anything to do with a "personal" vendetta! The people of Silsbee should be informed of the lack of discipline from our athletic dept. and have a problem with their action (or lack of) as well! Kids playing football who serve jail time without ANY punishment from the football team. And dont get into the they havent been convicted...etc.etc. Did you or your friends find yourselves in situations to even worry about that....and if you had....do you think it would have been handled like it is here?......So NO, its NOT a presonal vendetta.....it a community PROBLEM!

edited: Im sure I know your source, Id be carefull fighting battles or even questioning someone on their merit without talking to the other person....it will only bring you down, and make you look foolish! You do a great job here on SETXSports.....I would hate to see you lose credibility due to them!

[/quote]The discussion is about the conflict of select sports with school sports, and you feel compelled to take cheap shots at coaching staff?    How about we all go down and "observe" you doing your job, shout insults at you, and then post on a public forum how WE think YOU should do it?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder