Let's hear the volleyball perspective on this subject

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="trout" post="822808" timestamp="1280886937"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=71217.msg822205#msg822205 date=1280548192]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=71217.msg822161#msg822161 date=1280531994]
Most programs have a brochure that is given out before the seasons begin that cover what is expected of any athelete.I can't believe how many people don't realize how important team chemistry is and it is developed during the pre season practice. I have no ax to grind with the select squads but they have to make up their mind which is more important to them and pursue that sport to their fullest.It isn't fair to the school kids that make the sacrifice during 2 a days only to be displaced by girls who were off playing a select summer sport.The best solution would be for the folks over the ASA and the UIL to work something out over the scheduling conflicts where the kids could play both and not have a scheduling issue.
[/quote]

Good post Whsalum. The problem I see with select is, It has becomes an individual sport Instead of a team sport. Parents only care what their kid does instead of what the "Team" does. When select ball started is was a good thing but not any more. High school sports are still the purest form of team competition.
[/quote] You must never have had a kid be part of a real select team? The team is where a lot of strong personal friendships are formed.
[/quote]

You are wrong, my daughter played AAU basketball for 5 years and now plays college ball and I agree personal friendships are formed. That is not what this is about. I do not have a problem with select ball as long as it does not interfere with high school sports.

I have held my tongue on this subject as long as I can.  I have absolutely no problem with summer programs wether it be select softball or AAU or USVBA volleyball.  Anything that keeps the kids involved is great and I understand the parents wanting to get their child exposure BUT, if they choose to play school sports and be a member of a team, they choose to be a part of that team and agree to those requirements.  If select ball is their priority, that's great but don't expect the coach and players to cater to their schedule.  It is not fair to the players OR coach.  Coaches are professionals who are hired to produce successful programs.  You can not run a successful program when kids are choosing to put their priorities over the team's.  Is it important to them?  Of course it is.  Many feel this is where they will get a scholarship (another post for another time) but what about the kid who feels they need to work to have more money?  Do we excuse their absence because they had to work or the dancer whose parents have paid lots of money for their dance lessons and they have to miss for a dance recital??  I can see it now, trying to run a practice or prepare for a game when everyone is going in different directions!  High school sports is a commitment.  If they are not willing to make that commitment, don't  expect the others to put in the time and then welcome them whenever it suits THEIR schedule.

[quote name="CoachKfan" post="822916" timestamp="1280944362"]
I have held my tongue on this subject as long as I can.  I have absolutely no problem with summer programs wether it be select softball or AAU or USVBA volleyball.  Anything that keeps the kids involved is great and I understand the parents wanting to get their child exposure BUT, if they choose to play school sports and be a member of a team, they choose to be a part of that team and agree to those requirements.   If select ball is their priority, that's great but don't expect the coach and players to cater to their schedule.  It is not fair to the players OR coach.  Coaches are professionals who are hired to produce successful programs.  You can not run a successful program when kids are choosing to put their priorities over the team's.  Is it important to them?  Of course it is.  Many feel this is where they will get a scholarship (another post for another time) but what about the kid who feels they need to work to have more money?  Do we excuse their absence because they had to work or the dancer whose parents have paid lots of money for their dance lessons and they have to miss for a dance recital??  I can see it now, trying to run a practice or prepare for a game when everyone is going in different directions!  High school sports is a commitment.  If they are not willing to make that commitment, don't  expect the others to put in the time and then welcome them whenever it suits THEIR schedule.
[/quote]

Bravo! Bravo!  I have been looking for the words to say that for about a week now and you found them! 

Guest bleed orange
I have held my tongue on this subject as long as I can.  I have absolutely no problem with summer programs wether it be select softball or AAU or USVBA volleyball.  Anything that keeps the kids involved is great and I understand the parents wanting to get their child exposure BUT, if they choose to play school sports and be a member of a team, they choose to be a part of that team and agree to those requirements.   If select ball is their priority, that's great but don't expect the coach and players to cater to their schedule.  It is not fair to the players OR coach.  Coaches are professionals who are hired to produce successful programs.  You can not run a successful program when kids are choosing to put their priorities over the team's.  Is it important to them?  Of course it is.  Many feel this is where they will get a scholarship (another post for another time) but what about the kid who feels they need to work to have more money?  Do we excuse their absence because they had to work or the dancer whose parents have paid lots of money for their dance lessons and they have to miss for a dance recital??  I can see it now, trying to run a practice or prepare for a game when everyone is going in different directions!  High school sports is a commitment.  If they are not willing to make that commitment, don't  expect the others to put in the time and then welcome them whenever it suits THEIR schedule.
[/quote]

Could not have said it better. Good post, Coach.

I have held my tongue on this subject as long as I can.  I have absolutely no problem with summer programs wether it be select softball or AAU or USVBA volleyball.  Anything that keeps the kids involved is great and I understand the parents wanting to get their child exposure BUT, if they choose to play school sports and be a member of a team, they choose to be a part of that team and agree to those requirements.   If select ball is their priority, that's great but don't expect the coach and players to cater to their schedule.  It is not fair to the players OR coach.  Coaches are professionals who are hired to produce successful programs.  You can not run a successful program when kids are choosing to put their priorities over the team's.  Is it important to them?  Of course it is.  Many feel this is where they will get a scholarship (another post for another time) but what about the kid who feels they need to work to have more money?  Do we excuse their absence because they had to work or the dancer whose parents have paid lots of money for their dance lessons and they have to miss for a dance recital??  I can see it now, trying to run a practice or prepare for a game when everyone is going in different directions!  High school sports is a commitment.  If they are not willing to make that commitment, don't  expect the others to put in the time and then welcome them whenever it suits THEIR schedule.
[/quote]

Another Kudo's.....Thanks for speaking your tongue.....Couldn't agree with you more!!!!!

Very well stated CoachKfan..Life's choices are not always easy, but we do have to make them.  School districts spend many dollars on these programs and it takes commitment from both coaches and players to build a successful program.  I am a firm believer of keeping kids involved in extracurricular activities, but when they conflict you really must decide which one you will commit to.  Coaches (whether school or select) must have commitment from their players to effectively manage their teams. 

Now where I would expect a coach to work with a player is when a sport is wrapping up at the end of the season and another starts.  We deal with that in the smaller schools to a large degree within the school sports themselves, i.e. volleyball to basketball, basketball to softball, football to basketball, etc.  But even if you throw in a select sport like softball and it wraps up at the time that volleyball starts, if the player is only going to miss a couple of practices, what would either party benefit by parting ways?  Now of course if they overlap by weeks, then the player needs to make a choice.  The player (and parents) should be responsible enough to have knowledge about their leagues and their schools to know beforehand if it could be a problem.  But if it's only a couple of practices, an athlete can make that up along the way and most coaches I know would work with the athlete unless it was something habitual.  It is a delicate subject and I really hope we don't see a significant trend of athletes choosing select ball over their school colors. 

[quote name="trout" post="822808" timestamp="1280886937"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=71217.msg822205#msg822205 date=1280548192]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=71217.msg822161#msg822161 date=1280531994]
Most programs have a brochure that is given out before the seasons begin that cover what is expected of any athelete.I can't believe how many people don't realize how important team chemistry is and it is developed during the pre season practice. I have no ax to grind with the select squads but they have to make up their mind which is more important to them and pursue that sport to their fullest.It isn't fair to the school kids that make the sacrifice during 2 a days only to be displaced by girls who were off playing a select summer sport.The best solution would be for the folks over the ASA and the UIL to work something out over the scheduling conflicts where the kids could play both and not have a scheduling issue.
[/quote]

Good post Whsalum. The problem I see with select is, It has becomes an individual sport Instead of a team sport. Parents only care what their kid does instead of what the "Team" does. When select ball started is was a good thing but not any more. High school sports are still the purest form of team competition.
[/quote] You must never have had a kid be part of a real select team? The team is where a lot of strong personal friendships are formed.
[/quote]Quite the contrary.My son made some of his best friends playing select ball, I also made some really good friends but that wasn't the topic.He also had very close friends on his school team.If there would have ever been a conflict his allegiance would have been to his school team as I'm sure all of his select buddies would have also.

• 2 weeks later...
First of all, no player is soooo unreplaceable that there should be special arrangements just to give them what they want.  Second, no college coach wants a player that is not dedicated to thier school... hello then what kind of pride will they have for the school they play for in college?  No softball coach is going to be understanding about a girl missing softball practices or games/scrimmages to play club volleyball... why should it be different the other way around?

I have run the gamet of emotions reading this thread. I have read about the poor athlete on any select team. I reallty do understand exposure for the kids and the work they put into their summer teams. But I haven't read anything about the HS coach whose ONLY job is to get his/her team ready for competition. When the select coach loses or has a rough season he/she goes back to their MAIN JOB and life goes on. When a HS Coach has the same season they are fired, as this is their MAIN JOB. So i understand why VB coaches area little uptight early as the season comes very fast.

NOW...Yes there are times that a prearranged solution can be made...but should not be expected from everyone...also easier to make this arrangement if the athlete has come to open gym all summer and done the weights and running with the HS team.

Ok thanks I feel better now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder