Chester eyeing six-man football chances

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="815091" timestamp="1277763746"]
The comments of the superintendent concern me a bit.  He doesn't seem to be really on board with the option to play 6-man.
[/quote]  He's not going to say anything till it's settled. There's to many names that might not agree with the change. :-X

[quote name="little d" post="815120" timestamp="1277776446"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=70754.msg815091#msg815091 date=1277763746]
The comments of the superintendent concern me a bit.  He doesn't seem to be really on board with the option to play 6-man.
[/quote]  He's not going to say anything till it's settled. There's to many names that might not agree with the change. :-X
[/quote]

I have heard that is the case.  In today's version of that article, he seems a little more open to the change.

[quote name="little d" post="815424" timestamp="1277921195"]
I have heard that some of the nut cases here are saying NO football would be better than 6-man.This is a case of people thinking about what they want instead of about what is best for the kids and community.
[/quote]

I have heard that and I don't get it at all.  Would those, as you aptly put it, nut cases want to be known as the people who ended football in Chester altogether?  Or would they want to be known as the nut cases who decided to put 13-15 (I put a range because there are different stories as how many players Chester really has) of their young men in a position to get hurt?

Some have viewed the change from whether Chester could compete in 14-1A with the number of players that it has. I view it as to whether Chester can safely field an 11 man football team with, at most, 15 players.  I think the consensus is that it cannot.  If some of the school board members refuse to accept that, then I am not sure that they hold their office with the welfare of their children in mind and should thus have their fitness to serve on a school board questioned.

[quote name="Cowboys" post="815514" timestamp="1277952255"]
This is a difficult issue.  Who would Chester play?  That is one thing that administration needs to consider.
[/quote]

The article spelled all that out.  Doesn't appear to much more in travel than before.  I think it would be cool to get some 6 man teams in this area.

There was 2 or 3 boys at the meeting the other night,one said he wanted to play 11-man the other said he didn't care which one he just wanted to play ball. I'm sure most want to play 11-man it's what they have played all there lives. It is going to take some time to get used to,but if Chester can be competitive that will help make the transition easier.

[quote name="trophyman" post="816216" timestamp="1278357704"]
i brought the sixman point up last year and all you guys on board with it now told me i was crazy aint it funny
how things change in the course of a year lol.
[/quote]

Not all of us.

That distance would be a breeze compared to Coleman Bluecat football district the next two years.  We were moved from a football district where district games were 20,35,50,78 & 94 miles away.  They put us in a football district with SanSaba (94mi), Harper (103mi),Junction (128mi,),Sonora (153mi) and Sonora (161mi).
Coleman is in West Texas just 52 miles south of I-20.  We will be almost to I-10 at some games.  This is a result of splitting some of the divisions.Coleman is 2A Division II

[quote name="little d" post="815607" timestamp="1278008068"]
Chester would travel 61 more miles in 6-man for all district games.It would be 399 miles in 6-man,338 miles in 11 man.
[/quote]

[quote name="trophyman" post="816216" timestamp="1278357704"]
i brought the sixman point up last year and all you guys on board with it now told me i was crazy aint it funny
how things change in the course of a year lol.
[/quote]  Yep,but when it's 6-man or no man it's time to change. Like I said before this has always been a touchy subject here.

I have spent a lot of time in West Texas and have had the chance to see a number of 6-man games.  From a fans point of view they are a lot of fun to watch.  There are even a number of 6-man schools out west that have turf fields.

• 3 weeks later...
It is official, Chester will play six man football starting this season with I have heard 6 games on the schedule, rumor also has it that all 6 games are away games. Also there are some 1a schools scrambling right now to fill the opening in there schedule left by Chester going to six man so late in the year.

[quote name="TheRef" post="821357" timestamp="1280307263"]
It is official, Chester will play six man football starting this season with I have heard 6 games on the schedule, rumor also has it that all 6 games are away games. Also there are some 1a schools scrambling right now to fill the opening in there schedule left by Chester going to six man so late in the year.
[/quote]

Well, a couple of the 14-1A teams have done something to fill the void.  High Island took Galveston O'Connell (which was also a scheduled opponent for Chester) and Burkeville will be playing a home and home against Legacy.
I had heard Coach Williams was having difficulty getting a filler game and haven't heard anything about Sabine Pass.

As to the rumor about all of Chester's games being away games, I don't how much stock you can place in that rumor.  One of Chester's probable opponents, Mount Carmel, has listed it's schedule on a statewide six man site and stated that in Week 0 they will be traveling to Chester.  Coach Holton, who as of last week was still finalizing neutral site locations for a couple of games, promised that I would get the schedule shortly.  Then we will know for sure.

Final schedule will be distributed Thursday.  As for the rumor..you know how rumors go.  Chester is looking at 2 scrimmages at home, 3 regular games at home and 5 games away unless something has changed in the last few days.  We'll know for sure tomorrow.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder