Baytown Lee Spring Scrimmage

[quote name="panamamyers" post="806766" timestamp="1275059830"]
Today at 5pm
At Stallworth I believe.
I will have a full report tonight.
[/quote]

Thanks!  We look forward to hearing from the west end of the coverage area!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="panamamyers" post="806766" timestamp="1275059830"]
Today at 5pm
At Stallworth I believe.
I will have a full report tonight.
[/quote]

Scrimmage will be at Sultis Stadium.

GCCISD has implemented a new cost cutting policy of not using Stallworth Stadium for the most part. It's evidently too expensive to operate.

Guest GCMPats
REL, Crosby spring games end drills
By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published May 28, 2010
Football teams at Robert E. Lee and Crosby High Schools will cap their spring training drills with a pair of football scrimmages this evening.

Lee’s Maroon-White game will begin at 5 p.m. at Sultis Stadium on campus and match two teams of junior varsity and varsity players as evenly divided as possible.

The teams will play two 25-minute halves, head coach Marvin Sedberry, Jr., said.

Crosby’s Red-White game will begin at 7 p.m. at Cougar Stadium and pit the Cougar offense against the Cougar defense, with a scoring system devised to allow the defense to compete point-for-point with the offense.

“Back in the day, we tried splitting the players into two separate teams but whoever had Chance Casey won the game, because nobody else could tackle him,” Crosby head coach Kevin Flanigan said, referring to the speedster who started at Baylor as a freshman last fall.

(The point system) has worked out good for us. Last year, the offense kind of blew the defense out, but in our first scrimmage this year, it was a one-point game.”

Defending District 19-4A champion Crosby, 10-3 last fall, will play four 15-minute quarters with a running clock, the coach said, adding he thinks the scrimmage will last until “about 8-ish.”

Lee’s primary emphasis this spring has been in identifying and developing linemen for its offense and defense. Linebacker is another concern for a team that finished 3-8 a year ago.

“We graduated 10 of 11 starters on defense,” he said.

The pass-and-catch duo of quarterback Malcolm Ruben and Jaevon Richardson returns, with Josh Zellars and Darrion Landry other speedy player to watch.

At Crosby, Flanigan said he’s been most impressed with his offensive line, an area of concern since only one full-time starter returns.

With quarterback Dominic Merka returning for his third and final year at the controls, junior Jacoby Scott and senior Jake LaFleur are settling in as running backs.

“These are the fun games,” Flanigan said about spring games, “because I know we’re going to win.”

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bronco1" post="806824" timestamp="1275064613"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=70100.msg806820#msg806820 date=1275064264]
Where is Sultis stadium located from Dayton?I like the 2 hr.differance it allows time to see both teams early.
[/quote]

I believe that is the stadium at Lee High School.
[/quote]

It's next to Lee High School and Lee College.
Not sure of the address, but it's off of Market Street.

Guest GCMPats
#21 for the White team may want to slow his roll on all that smack talk. Dont let your mouth write a check you cant cash.

21 for the white is Keith Johnson a jr to be rb.  He is a good lil player.
I'm typing from my phone in the middle of Louisiana at the moment.

I watched the first half of the scrimmage.

My observations...

Lee will be extremely young. They only have nine seniors. Heck they only had 66 players period.

Jaevon Richardson is a couple of notches above everyone else on the field.  He will be a tough matchup for anyone lee plays.

Josh zellars is the best qb on the team. His passes don't have the same zip as Ruben, but he is a much better athlete and the passing is a wash when you factor in the ability to make a decision on where and when to pass it.

Keith Johnson will be a nice running back. He has nice open field moves and pretty good speed.

Anointe Franklin showed pretty well for himself as a backup running back and as a safety.

Couple of guysive never seen. One named kion Richardson and the other Myron oneal, both nice looking athletes that can contribute this year. 

Boyd looked good on the line.

Cody salinas will be solid at s linebacker spot from what u could see.  Always around the ball.

The problems for lee will be along both lines.  Sophomores will need to plug a lot of holes there.  Also the depth just won't be there.  I was pleasantly surprised that they actually have three solid liking linebackers.  The athletes at lee are never in doubt.
This crop is no different.
They have zellars, both Richardson, oneal, barnaba, Johnson, Franklin and lodge as skill position players with plus athletic ability compared to your typical high school player.  Last year they really only had three or four guys you could really say could match up athletically.  This year should make for a muchmore explosive team.  Whether that translates to wins remains to be seen.

To follow up, now that I am back home and on an actual computer.

Nathaniel Scott and Jeffery Patton are both no longer on the team it seems.  They were two that would have definitely started.

Kion Richardson seems like he could be related to Jaevon.  They both have about the same build.
If Zellars does not start at qb, then he will probably be an inside receiver.

I have a feeling coach will stick with Ruben.  This will leave Richardson, Zellars, Franklin and Landry to man the four receiver slots. more than likely.  Zellars is a big guy for a sophomore and can break some tackles.  He and Franklin, who is more of a shifty, waterbug type of runner, would be on the inside more than likely.  Richardson and Landry would man the outside receiver slots.  Richardson's numbers speak for themselves.  Landry has the size, if not blazing speed.  He just needs to hit the weights as I said in an earlier post.  He has a lot of potential.

This would leave Josh Brooks, Israel Lodge, Jared Barnabba,  Kion Richardson and Myron O'neal to play the defensive backs.
My guess would be Lodge and O'neal at corner with Barnabba and Richardson at safety.

I honestly can't remember the last time that Lee had 8 players that they could line up at receiver and db's and I would feel that not a one of them is just a placeholder type that is there by process of elimination.  All of them can hold their own as athletes.

The line needs 9 guys obviously for offense and defense.  They have Boyd, Avery Garcia, Isaac Arispe and this kid that wore #50 at the scrimmage....
That's really about all you have that are known commodities.  Past that they are going to have to dip down into some talented sophomores to be or hope for some good transfers ;D

If you have a chance, you really should take in a Lee game just to watch Jaevon Richardson if nothing else.
He is going to be worth the price of admission as long as they can get him the ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont