Pinto Team / Director's Tourney

Great play all the way around.  I was scared the Yankees run record would be toppled today as I watched the Cubs and the Indians get into the 30's but they stayed shy of the Pinto park record of 38 last year that we put on the Astros.

As a recap, Vidor Cubs move to Vidor and we have one more game in Orange which is the Vidor Indians and the Orange Twins.  I think it will be a good game.  It would have not been as close in the Vidor/Orange Twins matchup had the Orange coach been able to be present to pitch and lead the kids.  He is a great coach and gets his kids up and ready to play.  He is a shift worker though and could not get anyone to cover his shift, needless to say, he has told me he will be there tomorrow night ready to play.

I have really enjoyed all the play & meeting everyone that has come to Orange.  The question I keep getting is "How is Vidor so good???", lol.  You guys are very baseball oriented and make it happen.  The big difference that I saw, especially the Cubs is "High Energy Baseball."  That is the difference.  Vidor has a lot of good coaches that are very involved and it seems that everyone over there gets along very well.

Anyhow, great job to those still in the hunt and Good Luck.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="MJB" post="799969" timestamp="1273460183"]
Great play all the way around.  I was scared the Yankees run record would be toppled today as I watched the Cubs and the Indians get into the 30's but they stayed shy of the Pinto park record of 38 last year that we put on the Astros.
[/quote]

I a m sure glad that they didn't break that record -- there really needs to be a mercy rule. 

As the park host, I brought up the 10 run rule or a Mercy rule of some sort to the Directors and it is a topic of discussion with the organization.  From what I was told, the regional director(maybe a Carl?) has final say and it is always turned down.

I was at Ford Park early Sunday morning and Harold Hearn came and sat with me for a while and asked whey we were not playing with a 10 run rule in place and he is an advocate of the policy as well.

Granted, if you are "close" in the 5th, you might be able to catch a team in the 6th but not when it is 27-3 to start the 6th inning.

In the above post, when we put up 38 runs, the game was either 18 or 20 to 15 going into the 6th so it was a close game.  We just exploded and it was a double fest for a while.

I really think those of us in favor will need to push this one to the top because from what I understood, since the 6th is unlimited, there will be no 10 run rule.  I would think 10 after 4 innings or for sure 15 after 5 should be a big help in protecting kids from further exposure to a beat down.  Another thing that is big to me is injury.  That shot the Indians coach took was solid, but what if that would have hit the player??  At the point that happened, it was an avoidable instance, the game should have been over long before that if a run rule was in place.

I visited with our league President last night and he too is in favor and will bring it up at the next meeting.

Any truth to the rumor that the All Star tournament will take on a new flavor this year and go to a round robin/ pool play format???  Something along the lines of guaranteeing each team a minimum of 4 games.........3 round robin/pool play games for seeding and then a single elimination tourney???  I think that this would be a GREAT change to the existing double elimination format!!!!  Based on last year in the Pinto Division we had 8 teams in the all star tourney.....two from Vidor, two from Orange, two from Twin County and one each from Groves and Port Arthur.  What are others thoughts???

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="800147" timestamp="1273520227"]
Any truth to the rumor that the All Star tournament will take on a new flavor this year and go to a round robin/ pool play format???  Something along the lines of guaranteeing each team a minimum of 4 games.........3 round robin/pool play games for seeding and then a single elimination tourney???  I think that this would be a GREAT change to the existing double elimination format!!!!  Based on last year in the Pinto Division we had 8 teams in the all star tourney.....two from Vidor, two from Orange, two from Twin County and one each from Groves and Port Arthur.  What are others thoughts???
[/quote]

I heard that too.  That would be great -- but they will need to start it earlier (or it will have to end later).  With 8 teams, that is 31 games.  In a double elim. tournament, it was only 12 games (at most I think).  I would love to hear how they are going to do that in terms of timing. 

Possibly have to use two sites or two fields at one site for pool play and even the quarterfinals........

Each team play two games on Saturday and one on Sunday and those games would be for seeding purposes.....

Monday night would be the quarterfinals and if you use two fields you could have games at 6 and 730........

Tuesday night would be the semis and you would use one field with games at 6 and 730.........

Wednesday night would be the Championship with one game at 7pm.......

With the all star tourney this year being in Vidor do they have two field that could be used????

[quote name="MJB" post="800139" timestamp="1273518658"]
As the park host, I brought up the 10 run rule or a Mercy rule of some sort to the Directors and it is a topic of discussion with the organization.  From what I was told, the regional director(maybe a Carl?) has final say and it is always turned down.

I was at Ford Park early Sunday morning and Harold Hearn came and sat with me for a while and asked whey we were not playing with a 10 run rule in place and he is an advocate of the policy as well.

Granted, if you are "close" in the 5th, you might be able to catch a team in the 6th but not when it is 27-3 to start the 6th inning.

In the above post, when we put up 38 runs, the game was either 18 or 20 to 15 going into the 6th so it was a close game.  We just exploded and it was a double fest for a while.

I really think those of us in favor will need to push this one to the top because from what I understood, since the 6th is unlimited, there will be no 10 run rule.  I would think 10 after 4 innings or for sure 15 after 5 should be a big help in protecting kids from further exposure to a beat down.  Another thing that is big to me is injury.  That shot the Indians coach took was solid, but what if that would have hit the player??  At the point that happened, it was an avoidable instance, the game should have been over long before that if a run rule was in place.

I visited with our league President last night and he too is in favor and will bring it up at the next meeting.
[/quote]
I don't have a dog in this hunt any more, but there is a rational for no run rule at this level. Remember this is instructional baseball at this level. And the more at bats and times in the field benifit all of these kids. That is why there is the 5 run limit per inning , to keep the game moving. If you instate a mercy run rule, a lot of these games will only be 3 or 4 innings. There will be several teams that never play more than 4 inn. And we all know alot of coach pitch teams have 13-14 players, so your talking one or two at bats per game for some. Just something to think about before you push to hard for a mercy run rule at this level. Enjoy this level its fun and easy  ( We did score 25 once in a Pinto game in the 6th to win)

[quote] I don't have a dog in this hunt any more, but there is a rational for no run rule at this level. Remember this is instructional baseball at this level. And the more at bats and times in the field benifit all of these kids. That is why there is the 5 run limit per inning , to keep the game moving. If you instate a mercy run rule, a lot of these games will only be 3 or 4 innings. There will be several teams that never play more than 4 inn. And we all know alot of coach pitch teams have 13-14 players, so your talking one or two at bats per game for some. Just something to think about before you push to hard for a mercy run rule at this level. Enjoy this level its fun and easy  ( We did score 25 once in a Pinto game in the 6th to win) [/quote]

Very true but we play under house rules that the game is over via 10 run rule after 4 innings, then, we play the remaining time out, still keep score but it does not matter.  We use this to allow kids to play other positions and bat around and few more times.

Can you elaborate on what type of instruction was occurring when the Indians were delivering a beat down in the 6th, adding insult to injury?  Was it teaching them to be better prepared for the emotional issues associated with having your rear handed to you? 

I can assure you when a kid gets really hurt, at a meaningless point in a game such as this, the rules will change, the attorneys will make sure of that fact.

I am all for letting the kids play and we do in Orange but we realize it is now a practice session and we don't run them as hard and let more batters up to the plate.

Cubs and White Sox at 6pm....Astros and Indians to follow!

As to the run rule, no one is enjoying a beat down after 4 innings in a tournament situation.  It makes for bad feelings and comments coming from the losing parents.  It puts the winning coaches in a difficult situation.  It is just not a positive for anyone. 

These are tournaments.  I can understand the arguement for league games (but I still disagree), but I do not see any rationale for it in the these tournaments.  But it is not like my opinion counts.  I suggested this last year and again this year a few weeks ago.  Last year, they said it would change this year.  This year, they say it will change next year.  ???

The tournament has been overwhelmingly positive though.  Kudos to Orange for getting the field ready on such short notice.  And big time kudos to Larry and Company for having the Vidor Field in the best shape that I have ever seen a field at this level.  Thanks to All!

I think there absolutely needs to be a run rule. The kids are not learning anything when they are getting beat by 15 or more runs. Some of the guys on here have said they have come back from big defecits to win games and that is exactly why you don't let up which could cause the score to get blown up even more.
    Also, I have been in attendance for every game in Vidor during this tournament and there were some games that were runaways. This causes parents and coaches to get upset about things that normally would not bother them and the frustration is always directed at opposing coaches. I talked to 2 PONY directors in Vidor yesterday along with a couple of umpires and all were in agreement that it should be fixed for next year. Hopefully it will be. Good luck to the final 4.

[quote name="MJB" post="800317" timestamp="1273546626"]
[quote] I don't have a dog in this hunt any more, but there is a rational for no run rule at this level. Remember this is instructional baseball at this level. And the more at bats and times in the field benifit all of these kids. That is why there is the 5 run limit per inning , to keep the game moving. If you instate a mercy run rule, a lot of these games will only be 3 or 4 innings. There will be several teams that never play more than 4 inn. And we all know alot of coach pitch teams have 13-14 players, so your talking one or two at bats per game for some. Just something to think about before you push to hard for a mercy run rule at this level. Enjoy this level its fun and easy  ( We did score 25 once in a Pinto game in the 6th to win) [/quote]

Very true but we play under house rules that the game is over via 10 run rule after 4 innings, then, we play the remaining time out, still keep score but it does not matter.  We use this to allow kids to play other positions and bat around and few more times.

Can you elaborate on what type of instruction was occurring when the Indians were delivering a beat down in the 6th, adding insult to injury?  Was it teaching them to be better prepared for the emotional issues associated with having your rear handed to you? 

I can assure you when a kid gets really hurt, at a meaningless point in a game such as this, the rules will change, the attorneys will make sure of that fact.

I am all for letting the kids play and we do in Orange but we realize it is now a practice session and we don't run them as hard and let more batters up to the plate.

[/quote]

Please understand I'm not advocating running up the score. You are right, nothing instructional comes from 33- 3 score. I was just pointing out that limiting innings played in league may not be beneficial. That is a great idea of finishing the time limit after a game has reached the mercy rule. And yes, in tournament play 10 run mercy rule is indicated. Good luck to all !! , yall do a great job! Being a league volunteer is a very difficult and underappreciated job!! 

Just want to say thank you to all of the coaches and parents who made us feel very welcome at the VYBL this past weekend.  I know we only played two days but it was great.  Field was great, concessions were great, parking was easy and the live commentary really made the kids feel like they were in the big leagues!!!!!  I sure am looking forward to the All Star tournament on 4th of July weekend.  I know that Clint will be doing play by play for the entire tournament!!!!  Thanks again and look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86